Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 603661 times)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #2920 on: January 14, 2022, 04:20:47 pm »
In three years we’re good odds to have three academy kids starting in midfield. Plus one at RB, and probably one upfront in Gordon. That’s pretty ridiculous.

I wouldn’t consider Elliot or Gordon as coming from our academy(technically i know they both played for our u23 and Gordon u18), both these players came at 16 it does a disservice to the lower league clubs who actually over-seed the most of their development at the most crucial ages.

And I wouldn’t say it’s good odds at all, I can only really see Jones being a mainstay discarding Elliot.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2921 on: January 14, 2022, 04:33:02 pm »
Good young player that's very much at home in the first team. I think he could be more decisive in terms of providing goals and assists.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2922 on: January 16, 2022, 04:10:22 pm »
Extremely mature for his age physically and technically. Could be more decisive in terms of his "numbers" and not dwelling on the ball.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2923 on: January 16, 2022, 04:11:54 pm »
Was excellent as the game went on and there was a bit more space. Good pressing too. He's a nice variation to have someone who will take people on and have a dig, was our best attacker I thought. Recycles the ball really well too. Hopefully gets a run in the team now - we need him over the next couple of weeks. 

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #2924 on: January 16, 2022, 04:25:35 pm »
was obviously told to get at the opposition more in the second half and he's a joy to watch when he does, was fabulous
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2925 on: January 16, 2022, 04:26:35 pm »
Decent game from Curtis. He will grow in this role in the next few games, and we need him to do that.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2926 on: January 16, 2022, 04:30:18 pm »
I thought he was hugely frustrating in the first half, slowed down our play all the time with unnecessary extra touches and stepovers. Much better second half, more direct and incisive, playing with purpose.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2927 on: January 16, 2022, 04:38:27 pm »
Blessed to have a player like Jones coming through. Thought he was really good today, particularly second half.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2928 on: January 16, 2022, 04:42:04 pm »
I thought he was hugely frustrating in the first half, slowed down our play all the time with unnecessary extra touches and stepovers. Much better second half, more direct and incisive, playing with purpose.

Pretty much. Think he just goes back to the left back too much or someone else who drops in for a square pass. He's got the ability to breeze past players though he isn't particularly quick he has a knack of being able to get past players, he showed it second half when he just waltzed passed one, then dropped a shoulder and another and got a shot off.

Has loads of ability.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2929 on: January 16, 2022, 04:46:50 pm »
He still needs to show for me, second half was much better, needs to be more decisive, incisive with his passing and dribbling, he has it in his locker but all too often he can pass the buck or go for the easy option.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2930 on: January 16, 2022, 04:50:04 pm »
He still needs to show for me, second half was much better, needs to be more decisive, incisive with his passing and dribbling, he has it in his locker but all too often he can pass the buck or go for the easy option.

I am almost certain 1) he's deferring to the more experience players, 2) is under orders to play a composed simple game, and 3) is cognizant that he doesn't want to screw up and risk getting pulled.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2931 on: January 16, 2022, 04:52:18 pm »
Dunno about frustrating - he keeps the ball. We need more midfielders who keep the ball instead of playing it aimlessly forward

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2932 on: January 16, 2022, 04:52:57 pm »
I am almost certain 1) he's deferring to the more experience players, 2) is under orders to play a composed simple game, and 3) is cognizant that he doesn't want to screw up and risk getting pulled.
Almost the first thing he did in the second half was to take the ball on and shoot, as if he'd been reminded he was allowed (even, encouraged) to do so. Just needs to be a little braver/more confident. I agree with 1 and 3, though.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2933 on: January 16, 2022, 05:03:35 pm »
I think people are forgetting that he's still only 20, shortly to be 21 I know but still very very young and only finding his feet after a stop start season so far for him. I love watching him and think he's gonna be a very important player for us in the coming years. I love his confidence on the ball and he can skip past players at ease. Hopefully will continue to start ahead of milner going forward.
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2934 on: January 16, 2022, 05:05:14 pm »
Still working his way back from an eye injury. Still only 20. He was fine today

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2935 on: January 16, 2022, 05:06:54 pm »
Dunno about frustrating - he keeps the ball. We need more midfielders who keep the ball instead of playing it aimlessly forward

Quite right.

The same complaint is sometimes made against Thiago. But both men hang on to the ball for reason. It's because there's nothing on and they aren't willing to surrender possession cheaply with a speculative loft forward. Moreover they both have the technique and balance to hold on to the ball under pressure and change the angle of attack by exploring other options while they still have the ball. In the temporary absence of Thiago (and the permanent absence of Wijnaldum, who was also routinely accused of lingering on the ball) we desperately need Curtis Jones. Milly's a great player but he can't change his mind when he has the ball now. Hendo is great too, but he's also not keen to change direction when he - or the team - is cornered.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2936 on: January 16, 2022, 05:07:32 pm »
Wasn’t involved first half, second half he was much better.  Our most creative midfielder, thought he was decent.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #2937 on: January 16, 2022, 05:23:09 pm »
I think he has an average game to be honest. Continues his trend of looking nice on the ball without actually making anything happen. Held onto the ball for too long on a couple of occasion, refusing to release it despite the obvious options, thus letting Brentford regain their shape. Think he lost the ball in a dangerous position that almost led to a chance for Brentford as well.

If Thiago Ox or Keita give that exact performance they'll get roasted. Jones isn't because he costs nothing.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2938 on: January 16, 2022, 05:26:25 pm »
I think he has an average game to be honest. Continues his trend of looking nice on the ball without actually making anything happen. Held onto the ball for too long on a couple of occasion, refusing to release it despite the obvious options, thus letting Brentford regain their shape. Think he lost the ball in a dangerous position that almost led to a chance for Brentford as well.

If Thiago Ox or Keita give that exact performance they'll get roasted. Jones isn't because he costs nothing.

Fuck off with your agenda please. Thanks.

Signed,
Everyone

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2939 on: January 16, 2022, 05:27:10 pm »

And he's 20  ;D

Fucking hell, are you this miserable after every 3-0 win?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2940 on: January 16, 2022, 05:27:41 pm »

Signed,
Everyone

Much more succinct than my reply.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2941 on: January 16, 2022, 05:30:41 pm »
A little off the pace but that's to be expected.

Kid is going to be some player.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #2942 on: January 16, 2022, 05:43:21 pm »

Signed,
Everyone
Is right.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #2943 on: January 16, 2022, 05:43:35 pm »

Signed,
Everyone
Why do I need to fuck off  :o  Did I say anything wrong or not allowed?

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2944 on: January 16, 2022, 05:46:33 pm »

the last sentence did you no favours. Plus your daft post in the post match thread isn’t helping. Bit wummish.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2945 on: January 16, 2022, 05:51:50 pm »
the last sentence did you no favours. Plus your daft post in the post match thread isn’t helping. Bit wummish.

BALDRICK2k a little off form today...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2946 on: January 16, 2022, 05:52:15 pm »

You obviously don't need to - but you do need to give the kid a chance. This isn't the only thread where you have written him off (based on some poor facts too like Klopp not picking him).

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2947 on: January 16, 2022, 05:56:34 pm »

Fuck off is a sentiment here, not a command. Unless the mods say otherwise, you are more than welcome to stay. And an appropriate sentiment given the troll-like comments.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #2948 on: January 16, 2022, 05:59:20 pm »
Fuck off is a sentiment here, not a command.

An important and useful distinction!

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2949 on: January 16, 2022, 06:01:07 pm »
Quite right.

The same complaint is sometimes made against Thiago. But both men hang on to the ball for reason. It's because there's nothing on and they aren't willing to surrender possession cheaply with a speculative loft forward. Moreover they both have the technique and balance to hold on to the ball under pressure and change the angle of attack by exploring other options while they still have the ball. In the temporary absence of Thiago (and the permanent absence of Wijnaldum, who was also routinely accused of lingering on the ball) we desperately need Curtis Jones. Milly's a great player but he can't change his mind when he has the ball now. Hendo is great too, but he's also not keen to change direction when he - or the team - is cornered.

I don’t think  the same complaint is made about Thiago at all, at least by me, Thiago alongside Keita and Elliot are the three players who always look to move the ball forward, by making incisive passes. splitting the lines in Thiago case, or little one twos and give and goes around the box in Keita or Elliots case.

I would always advocating starting Jones instead of Milner for the reasons you mention but as someone who’s watched him since 16 I do feel like he plays within himself on occasion and fails to impose himself on games the way I know he can. I don’t get the same feeling from Thiago which is understandable as we’re comparing one player at the start of his career and another player in the prime of it, Thiago even as a number 6 still takes risks, with both is passing and dribbling.

Going back to Elliot I think this is why I may be even a little harsh on Jones, Elliot is a couple years younger but in games at the start of the season was already showing a bit more decisiveness going forward, a bit more bravery and when playing with two DMs in Henderson and Fabinho I think a player who meshes this with work rate can’t go amiss, especially in the majority of games where the teams in the league would form themselves into low blocks and dare us to pick them off.

In time I think Jones will show a bit more of that confidence at least I hope, but again maybe it’s just me getting grips with the type of player he’s becoming at senior level, and not having expectations of the player he was in the youth and reserves team weigh on my mind, after all Wijnaldum was a technically gifted exciting number 10/ winger for the most of his career and came here and was almost the opposite despite him still being a top class midfielder at his best.

I just feel Jones from what I saw has more scope and potential to be something a bit more, but we’ll see either way.

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #2950 on: January 16, 2022, 06:02:48 pm »
You obviously don't need to - but you do need to give the kid a chance. This isn't the only thread where you have written him off (based on some poor facts too like Klopp not picking him).
I admit I have a tendency to downplay players when I feel like they're getting overhyped. And I also defend players when they're getting roasted wrongly.

I wouldn't call my posts writing him off. Bit of criticism yet, but not too harsh isn't it?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2951 on: January 16, 2022, 06:07:08 pm »
Quite right.

Nice to agree with you on some midfield stuff :)
Agree with all of this and its what makes Jones so exciting at 20 its really really rare

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2952 on: January 16, 2022, 06:25:32 pm »
I thought he had a good game from what I saw and our midfield looks much better with him in it.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #2953 on: January 16, 2022, 06:29:07 pm »
His ball retention skills are incredible. It's encouraging that at the age of 20 he's already outstanding at something.

It's a great platform to build upon, he's by no means a finished product. I'm sure everyone at the club will be expecting him to develop further and to improve particularly in goal threat and creativity areas.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2954 on: January 16, 2022, 06:47:45 pm »
Clearly has a lot of technical ability and deserves to start games. I'd like to see him show a little more aggression off the ball. At times he's a little passive I feel.
Maybe someone will put up stats that contradict my eye test but that'd be my only concern. That's something you can work on though, you can't learn technical ability.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #2955 on: January 16, 2022, 07:39:04 pm »
I thought Jones grew into the game as it went on and was imposing himself more & more towards the end. There’s a good player there, given the right opportunity.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2956 on: January 16, 2022, 07:51:46 pm »
His ball retention skills are incredible. It's encouraging that at the age of 20 he's already outstanding at something.

It's a great platform to build upon, he's by no means a finished product. I'm sure everyone at the club will be expecting him to develop further and to improve particularly in goal threat and creativity areas.

I think his ball retention is the reason Klopp wants to groom him for the controller role. At the moment at times I think he is stuck between two mindsets. His natural instinct is to attack and take players on, but he knows how important it is to retain possession.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2957 on: January 16, 2022, 08:44:41 pm »
Clearly has a lot of technical ability and deserves to start games. I'd like to see him show a little more aggression off the ball. At times he's a little passive I feel.
Maybe someone will put up stats that contradict my eye test but that'd be my only concern. That's something you can work on though, you can't learn technical ability.

Yeah the stats back you up - he's not great defensively
He puts the work in... his pressure numbers are good but they're not super effective (he wins the ball 20-25% of the time he pressures compared to someone like Naby whose up at 35%) and his tackle and interception numbers are low
So it paints the same picutre he's not that aggressive / effective defendsively but he'll definitely improve with experience and judgment plus he'll get stronger... easy to forget how young he is because of his size

You can see why he wouldn't get picked in games where we want to be really solid defensively at the moment - but itll come

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2958 on: January 16, 2022, 08:53:27 pm »
I feel like his getting skinnier, not the usual bulkier. Need to get the steds team on the case.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2959 on: January 16, 2022, 09:22:24 pm »
Thought he improved as the game progressed particularly when he moved wide left.  Give him another 18 months to two years and he will be a nailed on starter.
We are Loyal Supporters