Author Topic: Southampton v Liverpool (St. Mary's) August 17th, 2019 3pm  (Read 28146 times)

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Southampton v Liverpool (St. Mary's) August 17th, 2019 3pm
« on: August 15, 2019, 04:30:50 am »
                                        Southampton vs Liverpool Aug 17th (St. Mary’s) - 3pm

Some edges cut deep”, were the words staring back at me on my computer keyboard as Tammy Abraham approached his penalty, this evening in Istanbul with Liverpool leading 5-4 in pens. 

Fresh off of the Charity Shield match, another LFC poor first half in Istanbul, and the endless jabs this Summer by the anxiety-prone transfer window critics directed at the Champions of Europe, I was thinking how this SuperCup might cut deep into my ‘red pensieve’ or said rather coarsely – father filtered, takin’ a piss out of my bliss’.

And truth be told, our obstacles have been ‘mason’ mounting with a the brutal pre-season schedule, Alisson Becker’s injury, Naby limping off in training, and the poor luck of having to play extra-time.  If humilities and calves tore any easier, I might have forgotten that just a few weeks ago Jurgen Klopp was singing Salt N Peppa on national television.  Shallow scrapes in the big picture, but unsettling nonetheless.

Well, in these times (where greed, impatience, and overindulgence burst at the seams) I turn to my friend’s book Faith of our Fathers: Football as a Religion.  Al reminds us that our work resides in the rituals, the songs, the worship of the reds with people we love, not where we are in the table in week 2 of the premier league, or how much money we spent in the off-season in some kind of sick keeping-up-with-the-oil-barons sitcom or who we should start, sit, play etc... 

Instead, those things will take care of themselves over time, as Jurgen, his staff, the players, and the club have been diligent to demonstrate.  If I am reading my faith book correctly, we have to have a bit more Edge with a capital E, a bit more faith (like Jurgen did in Big Div).

As supporters, we have to be able to distinguish between a paper cut (i.e. not getting the exact pretty shiny new toy in the transfer market, developing a case of Man City comparison disease or watching LFC struggle to a win while conceding a few along the way, and lastly overcoming a shitty penalty call), and the deep kind of body blow that knocks the stuffing out a team. 

Here’s what a deep body blow looks like.

That’s Me In The Corner, That’s Me In The Spotlight

Anyhow, I did not intend this OP to be a lecture for readers, but more of a reminder to rekindle some faith along this season’s journey.  Summer has flown by quickly and I imagine it has been warp speed for the lads.  And, we find ourselves post-Istanbul, making our way Saturday to St. Mary’s for another battle with Liverpool South.

Southampton’s Perspective

As we contemplate our faith this season, there is no better adversary than one of the first religious teams to form a football team in the late 1880’s (Southampton), from the St Mary’s church team origins. 

The Saints have a relatively new pastor Ralph Hasenhuttl  (less than a year with the club after the disastrous start last year of Mauricio Pelligrino/Mark Hughes).  He is the 8th manager at St. Mary’s in 6 years.

Their club icon is Matt LeTissier known for sticking with his flock through thick and thin, but the faith of their supporters will be tested this year, as the embers of the hellish relegation battle still smells strongly of sulfur. Saints fans hope Hasenhuttl will solve the wind, letting some of the South Coast breeze in from the Solent to clear the air but help the lads defend better than they did at Zephryus Burnley.

Losing Their Religion

In Southampton, the last few years has seen a meteoric rise of exciting players, tough-minded hardened-battled games, and series of good runs in the EPL for the Saints. 

2012/13                  14th Place              Adkins/Pochettino
2013/14                    8th Place              Pochettino
2014/15                    7th Place              Koeman
2015/16                    6th Place              Koeman
2016/17                    8th Place              Puel
2017/18                  17th Place              Pellegrino/Hughes
2018/19                  16th Place              Hughes/Hasenhuttl

Selling Club

However, the most significant feature of this club is not its youth development program, which is one of the strongest in England.  It is not some fantastic, adaptive play using pressing strategies and striking on the counter.  It is not even the faith of the Southampton supporters – who have to be one of the most resilient fan bases to have attended matches in the last decade. 

No.  The biggest feature of this club is that they are the prototypical “selling” club.

Managers move on, players get sold, replaced, and every year the supporters are buried with new players to learn and also with memes like “this is the year the Saints get relegated” type talk for their club.  In past years, this kind of insult has been motivation to show how good they are/can be --- 2013 to 2016, they were a top 8 club in one of the greatest leagues in the world.  This is not something to squawk at in my opinion.

Lately, they have lost something.  To be exact, they have lost too many top players. These losses stick in the saintly craws like a dent in your father's car (caused by you but unable to admit-blamed upon someone else).   

Van Dijk was the last in big name transfer who have gone on to shape other top teams’ destiny while leaving larger and larger vacuums in the Saints lineups.  Liverpool FC have been one of the biggest beneficiaries of Southampton’s willingness to reload over the years, with only Danny Ings making his way south.   

Funny that, except 25% of Liverpool’s squad was secured from Southampton, Ricky Lambert notwithstanding,

BEFORE                                                                                 AFTER

At some point, we know the music and faith will stop, like a sick game of musically relegated chairs.  Their supporters will sing, “Its the end of the world as we know, but I feel fine”. 

How long can Liverpool South keep selling their best players without it causing them to fall out of the Premier League?  How long can they keep up with LFC and other top clubs pipping their Mane’s, Lallana’s, and Lovren’s?

On Saturday, we will see which way the wind blows.  The home team will have conviction, a few nights of rest and preparation as well as the faith in knowing that a few quick, unforgiving blows could be a deep cut to Liverpool’s title challenge.

Saints are hoping for David.  We are hoping for our Goaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllliaths.

Odds       
           Southampton Win - 7.5 to 1
           Draw                  - 5 to 1
           Liverpool Win       - 1.4 to 1

Head To Head Record   Last Five Games   Date             Competition

Southampton   1-3    Liverpool                 Apr 5, 2019   English Premier League
Liverpool         3-0    Southampton         Sep 22, 2018   English Premier League
Southampton   0-2    Liverpool               Feb 11, 2018   English Premier League
Liverpool         3-0   Southampton          Nov 18, 2017   English Premier League
Liverpool         0-0   Southampton           May 7, 2017   English Premier League

Injuries

Alisson                                                            Yo Adrian

Southampton Starting XI vs. Burnley: August 10th 2019 at Turf Moor

Gunn

(Hojbjerg)
                         Vestergaard             Stephens                  Bednarek

Valery                         Romeu           Ward-Prowse                      Bertrand

(Obefemi)
                                     Ings                                     Redmond   

(Boufal)
                                                        Che Adams

Super Cup Champions:   A Turkey Shoot

Summary

I have to admit my doubt that Saturday’s game at St Mary’s has ALL of the hallmarks of a great big behemoth win by a better team, who has rocketed to the top of World Football in less than two years, coming from a magic carpet ride in Istanbul this evening.

Far more likely, the north Solent winds of change will blow heavy on the coast and our crew will have to acknowledge the force of the southern currents with an occasional spirited sharp reckoning even for the most sturdy of ships.  If we anticipate the storm, embrace our faith to carry on through it, and allow ourselves to be changed too, then we will have done right by our fathers! 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hRLzGLSHHgE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hRLzGLSHHgE</a>
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:37:49 am by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Southampton v Liverpool (St. Mary's) August 17th, 2019 3pm
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 05:02:03 am »
Haha Trend top stuff mate, well done :D

For all the obvious reasons this will be a difficult match and I'll take any type of performance as long as we win. Depending on the extent of Keita's knock [who was all smiles during tonight's celebrations] and the knock that Milner appears to have gotten [iced his knee when he came off], I imagine that the midfield will look quite different for this weekend.

Lallana,Wijnaldum and Ox to come into midfield? Shaqiri and Origi to start ala Barca, and Bobby to start given he played the least amount of minutes of the front 3 tonight.

Adrian

Trent
Matip
Van Dijk
Robertson

Wijnaldum
Lallana
Ox
Shaqiri [diamond]

Origi
Firmino

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:44:40 am »
I think a Hassenhuttl team still presents it’s challenges. Their Burnley game was decided in 12 sloppy minutes, but from what I read the performance before they conceded was decent, plus they were missing Hojberg who will be available this game.

I think Klopp will field a strong team for this one, considering they will have 8 days off after. I think he will play Salah / Firmino / Mane in this game. Probably rest Fabinho and Wijnaldum, giving the Ox another chance in midfield alongside Milner and Henderson. But defensively it would be Robertson / VVD / Gomez / Trent.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 06:21:34 am »
Nice OP, the kind that makes me wonder if I made a mistake volunteering to do one later this season.

Good time for that reminder too. I think after last night this becomes tougher, possibly our most difficult game ahead of the first Intl break due to the little time between games. Still I think our squad depth although being tested is decent and hopefully there aren’t too many knocks/niggles after what was clearly an energy sapping 120 mins last night.

Injuries permitting I would be surprised if we see anything other than our usual front 3, defence the only choice likely will be between Matip or Gomez the other 3 will all play if fit. No idea what we’ll go with in the middle.

Hoping for a hard fought victory similar to last season, and although we clearly need to play with better structure and more fluency than last night I’m sure that will come over the next month or so, for now grinding out the results will do for me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:23:47 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 06:21:50 am »
Why isn't this game on sunday ?

Also i hope we make slight changes to how we setup. We are playing too high a line and when the midfield does not press it makes it easier for teams to bypass our midfield and run at our defence. We allowed the lamppost giroud to run at our defence ffs.

Maybe its time to be a little conservative/pragmatic until Ali comes  back. Also lets settle on the CBs too. Its no good playing with different CBs every game. It is unsettling the defence.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:47:45 am by Bolrick »
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 06:44:45 am »
going for a nervy 2-1 win
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 07:30:19 am »
Play the usual front three and back four that ended last seasons

Midfield is just a case of who is available.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 07:37:02 am »
Hopefully Keita is available for this. We need midfielders/forwards will play inside the oppositions formation, to create space on the flanks.

A midfield of Henderson, Milner and Fab is not ideal against Southampton.

Did they stay the night in Istanbul or did they fly straight home?

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 07:42:33 am »
Lallana to come in for this one, freshen up midfield alongside gini and milner. Whoever can stand fills in the other positions,  mayne shaq comes in?
Football is a lie

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 07:43:55 am »
Lallana to come in for this one, freshen up midfield alongside gini and milner. Whoever can stand fills in the other positions,  mayne shaq comes in?

Like to see the front three play.

Mo is only one you might question not starting.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 07:47:50 am »
Hopefully Keita is fit and plays.

I suspect for the front 3 we'll see Firmino, Origi and someone.. maybe Shaqiri to start. Salah and Mane should start from the bench.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 07:51:14 am »
Selection will be tough. Bobby played 75 min, he will start, but Salah starting may be too much. Same for Mane who didn't have a good preseason. Keita would be probably be rushed if he's even available, Shaq and Ox need to start delivering, and I can see Lallana coming in too. Our entire season relies on Keita, Ox, Shaq and Lallana to put the necessary shift in when called upon, and so far only Lallana may do that on Saturday. Ox really needs to step up, he got some useful minutes in the Super Cup, now build on it!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 08:03:11 am »
Selection will be tough. Bobby played 75 min, he will start, but Salah starting may be too much. Same for Mane who didn't have a good preseason. Keita would be probably be rushed if he's even available, Shaq and Ox need to start delivering, and I can see Lallana coming in too. Our entire season relies on Keita, Ox, Shaq and Lallana to put the necessary shift in when called upon, and so far only Lallana may do that on Saturday. Ox really needs to step up, he got some useful minutes in the Super Cup, now build on it!

We have to show patience with Ox as last night was his first competive match in 16 months.

Talking of ‘stepping up’ is OTT.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 08:04:42 am »
Going to be tough seems logical for Shaqiri and Lallana to start.

Surely the lads are flying direct into Southampton from Istanbul?
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 08:15:41 am »
A nervy 4-1 win.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 08:39:33 am »
Think we kind of managed this with the first team selections last night.

Origi, Firmino and Salah. Gomez has played Friday and most of last night so Matip will probably keep his place with Trent coming back in and Robertson.

Gini, Lallana and perhaps Milneror Ox in midfield.. Henderson and Fabinho looked knackered last night.

Spoke to a Burnley fan at work and the general perspective was Soton were utter crap but so were Chelsea.

They will press the shit out of us for the first 20 mins I guess so we have to be patient.

Their defence was at sixes and sevens against a Burnley side with no pace and Soton don't have Kante.

2 - 0 with a Salah brace.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 08:39:42 am »
Big Sami once said there's no fatigue when you're winning.

This is a group of serial winners, they don't need to play well to win which is a handy trait, hopefully they'll find a way to win again and then we can catch a breather and have a look at our completely dysfunctional midfield. With all the depth there there's no point in insisting on players who are nowhere near the required level, pretty soon we'll have to make some changes because our midfield hasn't been our strength in a while.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 09:20:35 am »
I’d never disagree with a single word Big Sami said, being (as he is) one of the finest human beings ever to stride this earth. But they WILL be knackered after that last night......but not as knackered as if they’d been  travelling back without that beautiful European trophy in Jordan’s arms.

It’ll be a tough match to grind out a result, but if any team can it’s this one.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 09:24:22 am »

Lol good one Sami...
If only it were true... we could get rid of about half the squad... plus all the medics, sports scientists, nutritionists ... just win you'll be fresh as a daisy!

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 09:34:56 am »
Time to use the sqaud for this one. We will have a lot of very tired players after last night.

Adrian

TAA    Matip     VVD    Robertson

Fabinho

Wijnaldum      Keita/Lallana

Shaqiri     Bobby    Origi

If all is going well sub off Fabinho and Bobby after 65 minutes.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 09:36:07 am »
Hope we play Lallana in his new position or Shaqiri.
Our midfield is off at the moment and seem unable to retain the ball, as soon as we get pressed the defense have very few options.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 09:44:54 am »
Play strongest side.

This will be super tough.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 09:57:57 am »
With the number of potential games we all knew what was going to happen this season, but it doesn`t make it any easier for the players and recovery. In this modern world where games on a Saturday at 3 p.m. are few and far between (especially for us), it beggars belief that this game wasn`t moved to Sunday or Monday for players and fans alike. Fabinho looked like he had a severe dose of cramp in both legs and he will be sore this morning. Other players will be feeling it as well.

Thankfully the front 3 looked sharp with Sadio and Bobby playing less than others. I can see all 3 starting. I suspect that the same defence that started against Norwich. Midfield is where it gets interesting. Clearly Gini will start, but other than that I really don`t know. Perhaps the Ox in his more usual role ? Maybe Lallana gets a run out against his old team but in a more defensive position as per pre season. Perhaps Keita is fit to start ? So many possibilities.

This is a game that we just need to get a win, however we do it, and then get some rest.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 11:22:18 am »
I think last night will affect the players, but they'll be full of confidence and we have enough to beat Southampton. At least after Saturday we don't have a game again until the next Saturday evening.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 11:24:26 am »
The scoreline at the weekend somewhar flattered Burnley. Southampton were the better team until Burnley scored, but their finishing was woeful and heads dropped quickly. Yes, the wind played a huge factor in Burnley's opener, but that left-side of defence (Vestergaard and Bertrand) is one to target judging by the amount of joy Burnley got in that area.

Probably a good opportunity for the likes of Shaqiri

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 11:28:39 am »
This will be a tough game and we need to get more compact.  I don't want to see that donut formation again with everyone vacating midfield save for Fabinho.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 12:06:18 pm »
Time to use the sqaud for this one. We will have a lot of very tired players after last night.

Adrian

Fabinho

Wijnaldum      Keita/Lallana

Shaqiri     Bobby    Origi

If all is going well sub off Fabinho and Bobby after 65 minutes.

Wijnaldum in place of Fabinho there, then it's two out of Lallana/Milner/Keita for the spots I reckon.

Also think Mane will start over Shaqiri, with a sub for Salah intended second half (or vice versa).

Agree about the back line though. Picks itself. Going to need good individual performances from them (and Adrian), unless the second string midfield are significantly better at keeping the ball and their shape and pressuring sensibly in the right areas.

Shit news that Hojberg is playing. No Kante, but they will have lots of energy.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 12:08:27 pm »
Clean sheet please

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 12:10:26 pm »
It goes without saying that they are all must win games and the extra-time last night wasn't the best preparation before a long trip to Southampton but I think we will get the 3 points.

The silverware won last night will give us boost in these early stages.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 12:12:37 pm »
Excellent write up, Trend, as always.

Is Degsy available? If so, stick him in alongside Virgil, play Ox, Adam, Clyney on crutches and let's get the crowds back up. Ingsy puts them one up, everybody's head falls off.....then Bobby, Mo and Sadio score so we coast through 3-1. Then, maybe, then, some posters will start to believe this squad are mentality monsters and not midgets.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 12:50:08 pm »
If we could win by half a goal I'd take it right now

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 01:01:29 pm »
No way in hell Salah, Mane, Gomez, Henderson or Fabinho should be playing this match after last night.

Assuming Keita is still out we really have few options.

Adrian

Wijnaldum        Milner
                Lallana

Shaqiri   Firmino  Origi

Lallana, Shaqiri, AOC or Brewster to fill those two remaining spots.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 01:31:08 pm »
Nice one trend :wave
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 01:33:16 pm »
No way in hell Salah, Mane, Gomez, Henderson or Fabinho should be playing this match after last night.

Every single one of them with the possible exception of Fabinho, will start.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2019, 01:41:59 pm »
Every single one of them with the possible exception of Fabinho, will start.

Why on earth would they... whats the point of having a squad and a massive wage bill if they do?

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2019, 01:48:32 pm »
One of Southampton's finals

They really hate us. Desperately want a rivalry....
Get in line lads and lasses.

We should have enough to win this but i can see a tough encouter on the cards. Don't think Klopp ever rests anyone in a starting lineup unless he's forced to, so I dont expect many changes from last weekend.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2019, 01:48:42 pm »
We look really tired already, mentally and physically. must keep hold of the ball better and stop these huge gaps that keep appearing on the pitch.

massive effort needed. southampton aren't shit, but now we are on another level as a team, our biggest opponent is ourselves.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2019, 01:56:22 pm »
Why on earth would they... whats the point of having a squad and a massive wage bill if they do?

I agree with the guy you've quoted - I think they start, the front lads especially. Reason being that they have a full week of rest/recovery afterwards. Later in the season, if we had a midweek CL or domestic cup, then I think we'd rotate more in this weekends fixture. We can sub early if needed as well.

I reckon at least two of Mane, Firmino and Mo start. Gini is probably a sure thing as well. Would expect something like:

Trent, Matip/Gomez (maybe Lovren) Virg, Robbo
Gini, Henderson, Ox
Mo/Mane, Bobby, Origi.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2019, 01:57:15 pm »
I'm certain Lallana is starting for this.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2019, 02:05:07 pm »

Because we need to win so we play our best side.

Obviously we make a couple of changes but would be disappointed if 2 of the front 3 didn’t start.