Author Topic: The Umbrella Academy  (Read 9366 times)

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Umbrella Academy
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2022, 06:46:33 am »
Back on 22nd June for season 3.

Nice… problem is i binge the 10 episodes in one session
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2022, 10:26:19 pm »
Back tomorrow with season 3. Can't bloody wait. This show is PHENOMENAL.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2022, 10:28:49 pm »
Back tomorrow with season 3. Can't bloody wait. This show is PHENOMENAL.
I hope it’s more season 2 than season 1
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2022, 10:34:25 pm »
I hope it’s more season 2 than season 1
You didn't like season 1?

The person playing 5 is the star of the whole thing. Wonder how they address the Elliot Page change?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2022, 10:42:15 pm »
You didn't like season 1?

The person playing 5 is the star of the whole thing. Wonder how they address the Elliot Page change?
Elliot page is easy to address. I mean you can do anything in that show.

I liked series 1, but series 2 was on a whole new level…(for me).
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2022, 07:44:13 am »
Yeah season 2 was better for me too.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2022, 10:14:12 pm »
Wow the first 20 minutes or so of season 3
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2022, 12:22:30 am »
I haven’t seen it yet.

The first 2 series I watched back-to-back when they came out.

I may save it for the weekend because once I start I cannot help myself but binge the whole way
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2022, 10:31:50 am »
Halfway through the new series and it has been decent so far. It does have a bit of fluff and cheese to it though.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2022, 12:27:15 am »
Great start - seen episode 1

I think 5 steals the show
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2022, 08:10:34 am »
Enjoyed the hell out of this season

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2022, 11:07:06 am »
Binged watched a few :)

3 left and really enjoying it

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2022, 07:22:43 pm »
Finished them all.

I think it's got to the stage where a few explanations of reality is needed.

Enjoyed it overall, but it was a bit too touchy-feely in places I felt which jarred the action.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2022, 06:24:31 am »
with so many shows no longer dropping a season worth of episodes, didn't realise season 3 in total had dropped, was biding my time cos i prefer binging

really looking forward to getting stuck in, tho i think i'll watch a youtube recap for season 2 as it's very vague in my memory atm
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2022, 10:57:00 am »
Was not as impressed with the first 4-5 episodes overall as I was with Season 1 and 2.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2022, 11:29:19 am »
Elliot page is easy to address. I mean you can do anything in that show.
It was nicely done.

Enjoying it alot so far. It had me sucked in from footloose scene ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2022, 03:49:14 pm »
Announce season 4!

Online NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2022, 03:55:52 pm »
with so many shows no longer dropping a season worth of episodes, didn't realise season 3 in total had dropped, was biding my time cos i prefer binging

really looking forward to getting stuck in, tho i think i'll watch a youtube recap for season 2 as it's very vague in my memory atm

There is a season two recap at the start of the first episode.
What's your pleasure?

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2022, 11:48:00 pm »
thanks (tho i saw your post late  :D)

just finished the binge

always engaged, never really know what the fuck is going on as is usual, you see the constituent parts and the pieces of the puzzle, the slow reveal of how they are meant to slot in but what the puzzle actually is we have no clue - well that's not stictly accurate but we certainly dont 'know' for sure, there are some unresolved clues that nod to what is going on

really enjoyed it but three seasons in, i hope the fourth coughs up the whole shabang

the only part that got on my tits was the elliiot page bollocks, found it a total cringe and pandering when pandering wasn't needed at all, it had nothing to do with the umbrella academy or the season

it's just an actors personal life being written into the show and is therefore jarring in a highly fantastical show (and a slow drip at that, rather than a quick fix and ok forget about it, show is centre and front)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 12:39:26 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2022, 07:12:08 pm »
My girlfriend watches this, which means I'm watching it a bit. The style reminds me alot of "Charmed"  :P
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2022, 09:49:20 pm »
Thought Lila was great this season along with 5 and Klaus.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2022, 06:25:40 am »
5 has always been the highight for me, and i hear you on klaus, previously he's kinda meh to me but did shine in this season

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2022, 06:49:15 am »
Yeah Klaus and 5 are the most interesting to me. Viktor and Luther are annoying and Alison especially done my head in this season.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2022, 10:09:42 pm »
Yeah Klaus and 5 are the most interesting to me. Viktor and Luther are annoying and Alison especially done my head in this season.

Yeah she was a bad bellend

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2022, 10:10:45 pm »
thanks (tho i saw your post late  :D)

just finished the binge

always engaged, never really know what the fuck is going on as is usual, you see the constituent parts and the pieces of the puzzle, the slow reveal of how they are meant to slot in but what the puzzle actually is we have no clue - well that's not stictly accurate but we certainly dont 'know' for sure, there are some unresolved clues that nod to what is going on

really enjoyed it but three seasons in, i hope the fourth coughs up the whole shabang

the only part that got on my tits was the elliiot page bollocks, found it a total cringe and pandering when pandering wasn't needed at all, it had nothing to do with the umbrella academy or the season

it's just an actors personal life being written into the show and is therefore jarring in a highly fantastical show (and a slow drip at that, rather than a quick fix and ok forget about it, show is centre and front)

Yeah had no problem with them adddressing it, but boring as shite to bang on and on and on about it

Do it. Accept it. Move on

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2022, 11:05:38 am »
Yeah had no problem with them adddressing it, but boring as shite to bang on and on and on about it

Do it. Accept it. Move on

But they didn't really bang on about it?

It was pretty much done, discussed and moved on from all within about 20 minutes of the 2nd episode. I thought the fact that it almost wasn't treated as some big huge thing by the show or the characters themselves was a really nice way to deal with it.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2022, 11:42:12 am »

It was pretty much done, discussed and moved on from all within about 20 minutes of the 2nd episode. I thought the fact that it almost wasn't treated as some big huge thing by the show or the characters themselves was a really nice way to deal with it.

Seemed to keep going back to it endlessly as each sibling got to put their oar in

Seemed like overkill to me - absolutely fine mentioning it once, but seemed to get revisited several times an episode as each sibling told those that weren't there. Didn't seem to have anything at all to do with the plot either - was just an inlusion into the storyline of what that actor personally was experiencing which is fine if I was interested, but I wasn't really. I watch Science Fiction action series to experience Science Fiction action scenes and plotlines :)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2022, 08:26:55 pm »

Agreed I honestly don't recall it past episode 2 and it was done well.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2022, 11:29:42 pm »
Seemed to keep going back to it endlessly as each sibling got to put their oar in

Seemed like overkill to me - absolutely fine mentioning it once, but seemed to get revisited several times an episode as each sibling told those that weren't there. Didn't seem to have anything at all to do with the plot either - was just an inlusion into the storyline of what that actor personally was experiencing which is fine if I was interested, but I wasn't really. I watch Science Fiction action series to experience Science Fiction action scenes and plotlines :)

i saw it the same way myself and the final reference iirc was being asked to be best man, just cringe

i dont know how many actors have had life changing events between seasons of a show but maybe apart from a pregnancy (obvious why that might have to be written in) i dont recall shit being written into story lines purely for that individual that has absolutely nothing to do with the show

pure bollocks, just dont see the point of it all

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 1, 2022, 12:14:52 am »
i saw it the same way myself and the final reference iirc was being asked to be best man, just cringe

i dont know how many actors have had life changing events between seasons of a show but maybe apart from a pregnancy (obvious why that might have to be written in) i dont recall shit being written into story lines purely for that individual that has absolutely nothing to do with the show

pure bollocks, just dont see the point of it all

Probably because you’ve never had to deal with changing your gender.

I really don’t see the problem. It was done with sensitivity and wasn’t lingered on at all - certainly not in the way it would be discussed among a real life family.

Really enjoyed this season. Klaus, 5 and Lila where the stars. Hargreavess was pretty interesting too.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 1, 2022, 01:20:43 am »

I really don’t see the problem. It was done with sensitivity and wasn’t lingered on at all - certainly not in the way it would be discussed among a real life family.

Really enjoyed this season. Klaus, 5 and Lila where the stars. Hargreavess was pretty interesting too.

firstly i disagree with the highlighted point but that's already been covered by andy's post etc, sooooooo anyway

my 'point' isn't anything to do with gender changes, personal decisions about facets of life whatever they may be or a whole multitude of 'life changing' events that a person can experience between seasons in currently running shows, be that positive or negative

what did jar on me was writing people's real lives into a show that has nothing to do with the show whatsoever, yeah let's see more of that please, and we're talking about a profession where the core element of the job is to be someone you are not (unless it's autobiographical and you are that person - a rare thing) - page has done this all his acting life (and he's good at it, to boot), vanya is a role, he never was vanya, he could never do what vanya could, and i'd take a wild guess that his personality is different from the character of vanya

the change was meaningless to the show and totally unrelated to anything in it, anything

so 'just dont see the point of it all' is exactly where that gesture lies - it's the umbrella academy, what was the point of the gender change? there was no point

« Last Edit: July 1, 2022, 01:33:57 am by Armand9 »

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 1, 2022, 07:13:48 am »
I wasn't expecting them to address the gender change, as mentioned above he's an actor so could have easily continued to play a female character, however I don't have a problem with it at all.

It was handled well and pretty quickly before the story moved on, Victor being asked to be best man fit the character well given that Vanya started as an outcast in her own family. The switch also fits fine with the character, there was nothing particularly jarring about it and if we didn't know about the actors change beforehand I dare say no one would've thought twice about it.

I'd imagine there's also an element of the people working on the show all being friends too, maybe they were just happy to do it for Page and for the response of the other characters to be a reflection of how they responded to the news.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: July 1, 2022, 09:46:13 am »
Page was happy to continue to play Vanya. It was Steve Blackman’s idea to have Vanya transition and Gerard Way was supportive of it. It was done with dignity and sensitivity and I liked seeing how it was written. It really wasn’t overbearing and added to the character in many ways.

I loved the nods to Kubrick and Wes Anderson in the hotel obsidian/oblivion. The whole series looked amazing. It had better not fall foul of Netflix’s latest purges.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #113 on: July 1, 2022, 10:20:43 am »
Page was happy to continue to play Vanya. It was Steve Blackman’s idea to have Vanya transition and Gerard Way was supportive of it. It was done with dignity and sensitivity and I liked seeing how it was written. It really wasn’t overbearing and added to the character in many ways.

I loved the nods to Kubrick and Wes Anderson in the hotel obsidian/oblivion. The whole series looked amazing. It had better not fall foul of Netflix’s latest purges.

Yeah I noticed the wallpaper too

They've got a whole lot of explaining to do in series 3

Looking forward to it :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #114 on: July 1, 2022, 10:48:11 am »

It wasn't lingered on?

Er. OK.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 1, 2022, 11:30:40 am »

apparently it's one of their most popular shows, so on that level you'd think it would be renewed for another season

i have to say that, assuming it happens, the next season would have me a bit nervy on whether it's gonna be up to what we've had so far

you could argue that the story arc has been neatly wound up - sure there are questions but really, everything has ended in a neat little bundle and in itself could be the end (eg if it was a movie, the ending would work fine)
Spoiler
we now have some closure on what hargreaves is and what his motives were, we know the purpose of the academy and their part in his plan, the universe is stable and surviving players are now free to live out normal lives
[close]

so what comes next could be largely unrelated to season 1 thru 3 and dealing with life without powers/regaining powers might be the lionshare of the narrative

doesn't mean it has to be crap, but i can see it being a let down, at least to what i want from the show (ie a fantasy show, not a reality based show)
« Last Edit: July 1, 2022, 11:33:29 am by Armand9 »

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #116 on: July 1, 2022, 07:14:49 pm »
It wasn't lingered on?

Er. OK.

Still yet to provide any evidence of when it was "lingered on".

I'm pretty sure it wasn't brought up again after Luther found out which I think was the start of episode three. Unless you're counting everytime they called him by his new name or referred to him as best man as well?

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: July 1, 2022, 10:21:04 pm »
Still yet to provide any evidence of when it was "lingered on".

I'm pretty sure it wasn't brought up again after Luther found out which I think was the start of episode three. Unless you're counting everytime they called him by his new name or referred to him as best man as well?

Exactly. Like, imagine how much it would be discussed and dwelled on in reality in any family - even an open and accepting one. Then, see how casually it dropped in Umbrella academy. There was no lingering or dwelling on it. Like, most of the siblings’ reactions were “cool, but we’ve other shit to deal with”

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 2, 2022, 12:24:36 am »
The reason why they wrote it in is because the actor received loads of flack just for being gay & has been a lighting rod for bigots the world over.And whilst it doesn't harm anybody,it is great representation for the trans community.

I didn't think they lingered on it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: July 3, 2022, 03:38:56 am »
Just finished season 3.

It was fine - some good stuff but a lot of tedium too.