Author Topic: Women's World Cup 2019 (*)  (Read 81004 times)

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Women's World Cup 2019 (*)
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2019, 09:47:06 pm »
The Thai goalie has shorter arms than Pickford

Offline FaitAccompli

• Kopite
« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2019, 09:47:38 pm »

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2019, 09:51:36 pm »
13-0. Bloody hell.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2019, 09:55:18 pm »
Tight game

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2019, 09:56:48 pm »
13-0. Bloody hell.

Call me old fashioned, but I think that is pretty unsporting by the US. Could have passed it around after 6. No need to humiliate an opponent like that.
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2019, 09:59:17 pm »
Call me old fashioned, but I think that is pretty unsporting by the US. Could have passed it around after 6. No need to humiliate an opponent like that.

Why 6? Let’s talk about it?

They’re here to win a World Cup. I think sending a statement like this will help that. Harsh as it is, they’ve shown they’re to be feared.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:00:48 pm by mikey_LFC »
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2019, 10:01:50 pm »
That's Man City's first League Cup opponents sorted.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2019, 10:03:03 pm »
That's Man City's first League Cup opponents sorted.

:lmao

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2019, 10:11:17 pm »
A result like that makes a mockery of the tournament and the women's game by extension, which is not what anyone wants. Expanding tournaments to include more shite teams rarely improves them.
DAMMIT!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2019, 10:14:00 pm »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2019, 10:15:45 pm »
A result like that makes a mockery of the tournament and the women's game by extension, which is not what anyone wants. Expanding tournaments to include more shite teams rarely improves them.

I see your point, but not too long ago we witnessed a 7-1 in the mens semi final. Shit happens. I think it'll be a while yet before the gap is closed between sides like this.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2019, 10:44:32 pm »
As I said in my daughters teams parent chat, not sure what good option there was as it was paid professionals vs. amateurs aside from not celebrating after the 7th or 8th goal.  Though subbing off a CB for another attacker in the 70th minute seems to indicate they wanted to run it up.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2019, 10:45:55 pm »
As I said in my daughters teams parent chat, not sure what good option there was as it was paid professionals vs. amateurs aside from not celebrating after the 7th or 8th goal.  Though subbing off a CB for another attacker in the 70th minute seems to indicate they wanted to run it up.

I only tuned in when it was 10-0. They celebrated the last 3 goals. As did I as they won me money

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2019, 10:48:05 pm »
That's basically what would happen if San Marino qualified for the men's World Cup. I can't remember where I heard it but I remember hearing an ex sportsman say you show more respect for your opponent if you don't patronise them and keep playing as if you're losing.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2019, 10:53:53 pm »
That's basically what would happen if San Marino qualified for the men's World Cup. I can't remember where I heard it but I remember hearing an ex sportsman say you show more respect for your opponent if you don't patronise them and keep playing as if you're losing.

Is right. Just don’t take the piss whilst doing it and it’s fine. No negativity should be shown towards the US team.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2019, 10:55:57 pm »

What did people expect them to do, just fuck around with the ball for half an hour in midfield? Fuck that

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2019, 11:09:04 pm »
She [general manager of the Thai women’s national team, Nualphan Lamsam] also happens to be the chief executive of one of Thailand’s largest insurance companies and the chairwoman of a team in the Thai men’s league. Her family’s company also is a sponsor of Thailand’s nascent women’s league.

Players on the women’s national team also are employed by Lamsam’s company, Muang Thai Insurance, a team spokesman said. If there is a long period without training or matches, the players work as sales representatives for the company, the spokesman said. During the season, a regular paycheck from the insurance company allows players to concentrate on soccer without having to find other jobs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/sports/thailand-uswnt-womens-world-cup.html

As seems to be the case when a sport first goes professional you end up with a vast gulf between the early adopters and the rest (or the haves and the have nots).  Leicester Tigers rode that wave in Rugby Union for a long time!

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2019, 11:10:13 pm »
What did people expect them to do, just fuck around with the ball for half an hour in midfield? Fuck that

Absolutely

Never get this. Play the game the way you play it. USA are set up to score goals, that’s it
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2019, 11:26:16 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/sports/thailand-uswnt-womens-world-cup.html

As seems to be the case when a sport first goes professional you end up with a vast gulf between the early adopters and the rest (or the haves and the have nots).  Leicester Tigers rode that wave in Rugby Union for a long time!

So they beat up a bunch of insurance saleswoman.  Where does that rank on the amateur scale with the Austrian farmers?

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2019, 11:31:01 pm »
I don't think its the racking up goals that people are taking issue with, more the continuing to rub it in with celebrations right up until the 13th goal. If you are absolutely decimating a team, you should probably be reigning in the celebrations after the 6th or 7th, especially when there is such a gulf in the teams in the first place.

The Germans at least had the decency to mute their celebrations when they smashed Brazil, even though that was (on paper) a much more even match up.

Just very tasteless.

Still a bloody impressive scoreline though.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2019, 11:56:52 pm »
So they beat up a bunch of insurance saleswoman.  Where does that rank on the amateur scale with the Austrian farmers?

I think they did better than the farmers. Fewer goals against, facing a better team.  ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2019, 12:00:40 am »
An old cranky fart down the pub had me chuckling after hearing about the 13-0, I must admit ... he was saying stuff like “that’s why I don’t watch fucking women’s football, cos it’s rubbish. Big flappy tits,  running around like turtles, goalies diving round getting their head stuck in the mud”. He was a complete dick head but i couldn’t help but laugh. Proper Alf Garnett.

Man, these scorelines just feed the trolls.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2019, 12:19:42 am »
13-0 is just off the charts at a World Stge Tournament. I think they need to reduce this to 16 from 32 teams, grow the game in weaker Countries and improve them over ti e, nobody was a winner tonight and it'll turn people off turning up for these games.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Brain Potter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2019, 07:15:43 am »
Men’s World Cup used to have mismatches but nations have improved. I remember Zaire getting beat 9-0 in 1974 , Hungary scoring 10 in a match in 1982. What I’m saying is that women’s football is at a fairly early stage of serious development.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2019, 07:39:24 am »
Meanwhile, in the men's game, Germany just put 8 (with an additional 2 disallowed) past Estonia, a nation which not too long ago creamed Norn Iron four one. NI still top their group this year. Large scorelines like these are still relative anomalies and are rare.

It's not a reflection of the state of the game, it says more about the strength of one team on a Very Good Day for them. The trolls will always troll. But not here ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:41:35 am by 24/7 »

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2019, 07:43:20 am »
13-0 is just off the charts at a World Stge Tournament. I think they need to reduce this to 16 from 32 teams, grow the game in weaker Countries and improve them over ti e, nobody was a winner tonight and it'll turn people off turning up for these games.

There's only 24 teams not 32, though. Although Thailand were poor, USA looked a cut above everyone else in the tournament...although it was made easy for them, there was some genuine quality in some of those goals.

Also I don't think they were disrespectful at all, I'd rather see that genuine enthusiasm and enjoyment for simply playing the game and scoring goals...if that was the men's game the 2nd half would've been a non-event - at least they gave us a bit of entertainment.

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2019, 08:00:37 am »
The Thai goalie has shorter arms than Pickford

I’d bring her in for questioning on match fixing looking at some of those goals she conceded.

Offline Brain Potter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2019, 10:07:56 am »
The Thai team were at a complete physical disadvantage. They were all tiny apart from one girl who was half American.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2019, 10:32:16 am »
The result is hardly going to help the women's game develop in Thailand.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2019, 10:55:08 am »
The result is hardly going to help the women's game develop in Thailand.

I don't think the women's game has really advanced at all in the last ten years if we're honest. The good players can make a living from the game but the standard is no better than the last couple of World Cups based on what I've seen so far. What we are seeing is the large nations consolidating their superiority in the game and the rest just taking turns to make up the numbers. A good half a dozen teams from the weaker qualifying sections didn't even make it back this year and I can't imagine Mexico's women were up against it or Ivory Coast women facing a powerhouse in qualifying. Nearly every game has a ludicrously short price favourite pre-match and an opponent barely able to get out their defensive third.

They love to point out that the game is becoming more professional on the BBC, and while the number of professional players is clearly increasing I think they need to look at what nation they're becoming professional in, because it's no use pointing that out if a seventh team has become professional in France or the entire league in England is professional, to grow the game it needs to be happening outside of Europe and the US. All it's doing is growing the gap between the haves and have nots. Unless serious money is pumped into developing women nations you won't see anything change for a very long time, it's just a harsh reality.

When the knockouts start we could see some decent matches, Italy-Australia was a good example of what can happen when decent teams meet.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2019, 12:50:56 pm »
I've been struggling to watch this with Jonathan Pearce complaining about the offsides everytime the flag goes up late. The games I have seen have been good watches, apart from whatever that was last night.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2019, 02:29:45 pm »
Calamitous own goal for South Korea :lmao
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2019, 02:39:54 pm »
I watched all the games at the world cup yesterday, a few things:

What is the female equivalent of a "Bunch of Farmers"? A bunch of housewives? because that's what Thailand were. Also "USA" "USA" is THE worst chant in all of spots for fuck sakes.

Secondly I thought the Holland vs New Zealand game was good. The Dutch playmaker who was on the left of the front three, Laika Martins (?) she was great, ran the show and kept setting up the lump of a forward who kept hitting the shots wide,heading over or trying to think she was a female Messi and trying to take on 5 players and score.

Another thing you know how Phill Babb had his jewels rammed in against the post? Would a female in that position hurt as much or not?  ;D

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2019, 03:32:05 pm »
Wonderful second goal for Nigeria. Most clinical counter attack of the tournament so far.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2019, 03:51:17 pm »
Can't get my VPN to recognise a live BBC feed to watch the matches - anyone got a working link?

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2019, 04:04:40 pm »
The celebrations probably could have been muted a bit more after 5 or 6 nil, but it's the World Cup. It's the biggest stage for women's football, it's as good and as big as it gets.

Don't want to lose 13-0? Don't qualify, don't show up, it won't happen. If you're going to compete on the biggest stage, be prepared to face the best.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2019, 04:09:01 pm »
The fuck are you guy's chanting "USA" "USA" at 13-0 and your women celebrating like they scored a 1-0 winner at stoppage time?  ;D :lmao

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2019, 04:12:31 pm »
The fuck are you guy's chanting "USA" "USA" at 13-0 and your women celebrating like they scored a 1-0 winner at stoppage time?  ;D :lmao

It is ridiculous. Act like you've been there before.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2019, 04:23:30 pm »
Can't get my VPN to recognise a live BBC feed to watch the matches - anyone got a working link?
This site is meant to be showing all of the games for countries without coverage if you want to play around with VPNs https://www.eurovisionsports.tv/

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2019, 04:47:47 pm »
Looking forward to this Germany-Spain match. The Spain line up is better than their last one, should hopefully mean they have a bit more to them in front of goal.

They are both level on points at the minute. Group runners up will quite likely have to face the US (sadly).