Author Topic: CL SF: Liverpool 4 vs Barçelona 0 (4-3) Origi 6', 79’, Gini 53', 56 Bloody hell.  (Read 275621 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Saw my cousin for the first time in ages yesterday. We spoke about the final for around 30 seconds. The rest of the football conversation was centred on this game. This was so epic it will be remembered for ever by all who saw it. Also, I've never in my life seen so many opposition fans holding their hands up and saying my god, that was special as I have with this game.

We have witnessed greatness here. Drink it in...

If you'd have dreamt how this entire tie would unfold you'd have laughed it off as outrageous once you woke up, yet we saw this for real.  :shocked :shocked
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
https://twitter.com/ElTransistorOC/status/1146902422960386049

Gerard López (former Barca B coach): "The current institutional crisis inside Barça is because of Anfield's result."

;D ;D ;D

We really broke them didn't we?

I shed no tears for them.  They showed us precious little respect; their fans are far more humble and dignified.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
That result is beyond amazing, and I relive it nearly every day!

In my opinion it was the best night ever at Anfield. When you consider being 3 nil down, the quality of the opposition, without 2 of our star players, and the threat of an away goal hanging over us until the final whistle goes, it was an incredible achievement.

Plus, when you think what happened the night before, when Kompany scored his first goal in about 20 years to virtually seal the Title, the mentality of our squad to deal with that kick in the teeth, takes the Barca result to another level!

I will never tire of watching everything to do this this game, from the defiant welcoming of the team bus, the build up in the ground before K/O to the match itself. The way it was filmed seemed something special, the bemused looks on the faces of Messi and Suarez and co during the game, where captured perfectly. It reminded me of one of those World Cup Documentaries when England won it in 66, camera's everywhere, that didn't miss a trick.

The scenes outside the ground after the final result just topped off an amazing night that I'll never forget...and I thought those kind of nights where behind me now, cos  I don't take footy as seriously or as intensely as when I was younger.

But that night, fuck me, it was like I was an 18 year die hard kopite again on the night of the St Etienne game!

Don't forget Fab had to play 80 minutes of the game on a yellow against a team of diving shithouses.  Incredible skills.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We really broke them didn't we?

I shed no tears for them.  They showed us precious little respect; their fans are far more humble and dignified.

I have said it before on here but their fans were boss.

I have spent my life listening to the arl arses tell me about St Etienne, I thought Olympiakos was going to take some beating (I missed the Chelsea game that season) but I know, having thought about it, who it was, who was in their squad and the score from the first leg that it will take some beating everything Mikeb58 says is spot on.

There will be other great nights at Anfield, of course there will, but in my lifetime I doubt we will ever see anything as monumental as that night. I swapped scarfs on the Anny Road after the match with some Barca fans who wished us well and that now sits proudly next to my signed picture of Kenny. I have watched the highlights at least 20 times more than the final, I still get a bit of sand in my eye when I see Trent moving away from the ball for 'that' corner. I still remember falling over the back of my seat into the fellas behind me, I still go to the beginning of this thread and read the commentary or listen to the 5Live recording................

Is there a support group anywhere?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Still think Chelsea 05 was better in terms of atmosphere.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
Theres a difference of being delusional based on fuck all and confident based on previous history. Our history is why we believe not because we are delusional. We have shown it in fantastic fashion on numerous occasions. It would be different if we have had never done anything of the sort  and continued tk believe as much as we do.

After the first leg I was convinced we would twat them, however with Firminos and Salahs injury I didnt expect us to get through but I did expect us to win. Our performance in the first leg was that good and convincing imo despite the loss

That was the best 3-0 loss ever. I called it beforehand that we would smash them and that's exactly what we did. it was so clear after the first game that we were the better them. They fluked their way into such a commanding first leg lead.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
I have said it before on here but their fans were boss.

I have spent my life listening to the arl arses tell me about St Etienne, I thought Olympiakos was going to take some beating (I missed the Chelsea game that season) but I know, having thought about it, who it was, who was in their squad and the score from the first leg that it will take some beating everything Mikeb58 says is spot on.

There will be other great nights at Anfield, of course there will, but in my lifetime I doubt we will ever see anything as monumental as that night. I swapped scarfs on the Anny Road after the match with some Barca fans who wished us well and that now sits proudly next to my signed picture of Kenny. I have watched the highlights at least 20 times more than the final, I still get a bit of sand in my eye when I see Trent moving away from the ball for 'that' corner. I still remember falling over the back of my seat into the fellas behind me, I still go to the beginning of this thread and read the commentary or listen to the 5Live recording................

I was at the St. Etienne game and never thought I'd ever see anything surpass it, but I think this game, and the tie overall, did so. St. Etienne was amazing, but this entire tie with Barcelona is a story of epic proportions. We went to their place and ran them all over the shop. We were easily the better side and took the game to them on their own patch like few ever have. They are no one man team, and they also had the best player in the world in their side. We somehow lost 3-0. Even right near the end, when most of their players and probably all of their fans thought they were through to the final, Messi knew. He just knew that when they missed that chance to go 4-0 up it could come back to haunt them.

I'll be honest, I thought going through was beyond us. I know, I really should know better, but even though I believed we could pull the three goals back, I also thought they'd nick one on the break. We all know what they are capable of. Suarez was our man once, and we know exactly what he can do. We, like the whole football world, know Messi can be quiet for 89 minutes but kill you with one stroke of genius. The odds were so stacked against us. When you consider the sheer quality of the opposition, progressing was always going to be a tall order, even for Liverpool at Anfield. I watched hoping for a miracle, but expecting a gallant win on the night but the pain of probably just falling short due to an away goal. What unfolded before our eyes was something truly special. Even now, there aren't really the words to cover the emotions going on inside me, and no doubt every Red, as we all witnessed what happened. It was simply perfect.

If you could pick a Roy of the Rovers type of script then this would be it. Seemingly down and out after just 90 minutes in the first leg. Everyone writing you off. Rivals taking the piss and the schadenfreude going into overdrive all over the country. All the haters feeling so smug, firmly believing we were out. All the 'Loserpool' morons gloating. People calling Klopp a fraud and a serial loser of finals. Calls of ''bottlers'' ringing out all over the place. If you could set all the haters up for one hell of a fall, this is exactly how you would do it.

Then ... BOOM. You cannot legislate for what happened next. Liverpool threw a tactical nuclear device onto the field of play, and the fallout is still raining down upon the football world today. This entire tie ripped your guts out then put them all back together again. I slumped back in my seat at the end. My goose was cooked. I was done. Elated, yet burnt out. The tie was a 180+ minute epic that put me through just about every emotion imaginable. There is a lot of hype in football, but this was the real deal. This was truly epic. I honestly believe it was at Anfield where we really won this European Cup. I mean no disrespect to Spurs when I say that. It's just that after this tie and how it unfolded, I don't think this team would let anything or anyone stop them lifting the trophy. After this tie, everyone believed.

I've seen Liverpool do so much in my lifetime, but after this tie I just sat back thinking holy shit, what have I just seen? That was in May. It's July now, and I'm still thinking the same.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan

I think you are right, there. That was also the most colourful I've ever seen the Kop in my lifetime.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Chelsea 05 v Barca 19 is like comparing apples and oranges though.

Our squad in 05 wasn't great and Chelsea were in their ascendency.  But Chelsea were still European Minnows and we were still the Royalty.  It was amazing that we held them at the Bridge and then stopped them scoring at Anfield; it was a nerve shredding affair that was magnificent from start to finish.

the Barca tie we were facing a peak team; our team was strong but had a lot to live up to given the first leg and the previous years' final.  This was two well established European Heavyweights, but their recent history far outweighed ours.  We were on a mission to prove ourselves.

I think I favour 19 over 05, mostly because the latter was a fairytale carried by the weight of our history.  What we're experiencing now however should be a renaissance of power and renewed dominance.  There's no reason for this to be a one off this time.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Flyhalf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop

Agree. That was something else and don’t think it will ever be topped.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Agree. That was something else and don’t think it will ever be topped.

I don't recall a single moment where the noise dwindled for even a second. It was non stop from start to finish. Barca was great, one of the best certainly at Anfield, it's one of my favorite matches in my life-time without a doubt.

• Legacy Fan

Our squad in 05 wasn't great and Chelsea were in their ascendency.  But Chelsea were still European Minnows and we were still the Royalty.  It was amazing that we held them at the Bridge and then stopped them scoring at Anfield; it was a nerve shredding affair that was magnificent from start to finish.

the Barca tie we were facing a peak team; our team was strong but had a lot to live up to given the first leg and the previous years' final.  This was two well established European Heavyweights, but their recent history far outweighed ours.  We were on a mission to prove ourselves.

I think I favour 19 over 05, mostly because the latter was a fairytale carried by the weight of our history.  What we're experiencing now however should be a renaissance of power and renewed dominance.  There's no reason for this to be a one off this time.

I agree with your assessment but I wasn't comparing the performances and the team mate, just the atmosphere.

• Legacy Fan
I think you are right, there. That was also the most colourful I've ever seen the Kop in my lifetime.

It really was spectacular, still shit myself when I see that shot from Gudjohnsen  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
If you were in the Lower Sir Kenny near the Kop end you might spot yourself on this video.

I just love seeing the faces on people at this game.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TgetLUBpw1I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TgetLUBpw1I</a>

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
What a brilliant thread!  Full on emotion and joy. I wasn't at the Barcelona game but I was on the Kop against St Etienne . That was my epic once-in-a-lifetime  night,  but from what I've heard and read the Barcelona match tops it.

Put all these nights together,  Dortmund, Olympicos,  Newcastle 4-3, Juventus, Inter, Real,  City, Chelsea semis, and many other games,  and you've got the answer to why Guardiola, Fabio Capello,  Costacurta, Cruyff all know what our place does to opposition teams.  It's a huge psychological factor that is in their heads for days before a game at our place,  even if they'll give you the usual "we're professionals and it won't affect us "blah blah " lark.

To think,  some people wanted us to move out to a shiny new stadium and leave all of  this behind.  Madness!

Having said all that, let's not forget that our place can't be like that every week. The 12 0'clock kick-off against Fulham with the opposition supporters giving it the painful  "where's your famous atmosphere?" will still be out in force next season.

Guardiola and co.   will be able to tell them!!

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
I was at the St. Etienne game and never thought I'd ever see anything surpass it, but I think this game, and the tie overall, did so. St. Etienne was amazing, but this entire tie with Barcelona is a story of epic proportions. We went to their place and ran them all over the shop. We were easily the better side and took the game to them on their own patch like few ever have. They are no one man team, and they also had the best player in the world in their side. We somehow lost 3-0. Even right near the end, when most of their players and probably all of their fans thought they were through to the final, Messi knew. He just knew that when they missed that chance to go 4-0 up it could come back to haunt them.

I'll be honest, I thought going through was beyond us. I know, I really should know better, but even though I believed we could pull the three goals back, I also thought they'd nick one on the break. We all know what they are capable of. Suarez was our man once, and we know exactly what he can do. We, like the whole football world, know Messi can be quiet for 89 minutes but kill you with one stroke of genius. The odds were so stacked against us. When you consider the sheer quality of the opposition, progressing was always going to be a tall order, even for Liverpool at Anfield. I watched hoping for a miracle, but expecting a gallant win on the night but the pain of probably just falling short due to an away goal. What unfolded before our eyes was something truly special. Even now, there aren't really the words to cover the emotions going on inside me, and no doubt every Red, as we all witnessed what happened. It was simply perfect.

If you could pick a Roy of the Rovers type of script then this would be it. Seemingly down and out after just 90 minutes in the first leg. Everyone writing you off. Rivals taking the piss and the schadenfreude going into overdrive all over the country. All the haters feeling so smug, firmly believing we were out. All the 'Loserpool' morons gloating. People calling Klopp a fraud and a serial loser of finals. Calls of ''bottlers'' ringing out all over the place. If you could set all the haters up for one hell of a fall, this is exactly how you would do it.

Then ... BOOM. You cannot legislate for what happened next. Liverpool threw a tactical nuclear device onto the field of play, and the fallout is still raining down upon the football world today. This entire tie ripped your guts out then put them all back together again. I slumped back in my seat at the end. My goose was cooked. I was done. Elated, yet burnt out. The tie was a 180+ minute epic that put me through just about every emotion imaginable. There is a lot of hype in football, but this was the real deal. This was truly epic. I honestly believe it was at Anfield where we really won this European Cup. I mean no disrespect to Spurs when I say that. It's just that after this tie and how it unfolded, I don't think this team would let anything or anyone stop them lifting the trophy. After this tie, everyone believed.

I've seen Liverpool do so much in my lifetime, but after this tie I just sat back thinking holy shit, what have I just seen? That was in May. It's July now, and I'm still thinking the same.
Great post,  just made me well up reading it.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Yep, Liverpool Football Club, worldwide support.  Love our club  :scarf :scarf :scarf
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Reading the recent posts about St Etienne and Chelsea, for me you are all missing the game where the comeback was conceived and copyrighted. I’m sure the elderly bottoms on here will recall it.
Bruges in 76 was like a ski jump of emotions. The long slow slide downwards and then the rush skywards.
The 76 side were fantastic and they were getting schooled on their own midden by a gang of Belgian unknowns.
Phil Neal had an absolute shocker of a first Half and had the arse ripped out of him by their pace and skill.
0-2 down  in the first leg of a final in those days was pretty much game game over.
We were hanging on and looking at a drubbing.
Whatever Bob and the team talked about at half time seemed to work, because we came at them like a tornado second half. The Kop was rammed and the sways were carrying you 15 yds from your spec. When we levelled the place erupted. Bodies were everywhere, it was like being in a blender.
As we pressed for the winner it was almost as though the Belgians crumpled under the pressure in front and the noise behind them. The winner brought chaos to the Kop. I clearly recall standing in a clear space as the sways and surges crashed together almost like a hole in the crowd.
For me, St Etienne was built using the blueprints put together on that night. And just like we broke Barca, we scared Bruges so much that we went to their place and got the draw and, when we played them at Wembley in 78 they were absolutely terrified of us. They knew what we were capable of, but then so did we.
I am just thankful that I have seen history written so many times.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Reading the recent posts about St Etienne and Chelsea, for me you are all missing the game where the comeback was conceived and copyrighted. I’m sure the elderly bottoms on here will recall it.
Bruges in 76 was like a ski jump of emotions. The long slow slide downwards and then the rush skywards.
The 76 side were fantastic and they were getting schooled on their own midden by a gang of Belgian unknowns.
Phil Neal had an absolute shocker of a first Half and had the arse ripped out of him by their pace and skill.
0-2 down  in the first leg of a final in those days was pretty much game game over.
We were hanging on and looking at a drubbing.
Whatever Bob and the team talked about at half time seemed to work, because we came at them like a tornado second half. The Kop was rammed and the sways were carrying you 15 yds from your spec. When we levelled the place erupted. Bodies were everywhere, it was like being in a blender.
As we pressed for the winner it was almost as though the Belgians crumpled under the pressure in front and the noise behind them. The winner brought chaos to the Kop. I clearly recall standing in a clear space as the sways and surges crashed together almost like a hole in the crowd.
For me, St Etienne was built using the blueprints put together on that night. And just like we broke Barca, we scared Bruges so much that we went to their place and got the draw and, when we played them at Wembley in 78 they were absolutely terrified of us. They knew what we were capable of, but then so did we.
I am just thankful that I have seen history written so many times.

Yeah funny that never really gets mentioned. I’ve seen the highlights many times and thought it must have been crazy on the Kop that night. Could it be the lesser importance of the UEFA cup maybe?

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
I could read for days about all these famous Anfield nights. City in the semi's in the 17/18 season is the best I have been lucky enough to experience in person. Not just the fact we blew them away 3-0 with the atmosphere not letting up the whole match, but the build up around Anfield beforehand with the coach greeting was immense.

Can only imagine how some of these other nights must've been.

As for Barca, like others have said, for me it is the night we won the trophy. The final was great and all, but as for Barca I've watched the full match at least twice, the full 5Live commentary once, and the highlights countless times. And despite not being there in person, the pub was still pretty fucking good and gave me memories to last. Not sure it's ever possible to top a match like that - but maybe we'll find a way.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
Great post,  just made me well up reading it.
Cheers mate.

The amazing thing is, none of it is bravado or hype. This is how it actually happened in reality. It's genuinely difficult to find the words to accurately reflect the gravity of what took place in that tie. As a story, it had absolutely everything. It was perfect in every way. This kind of story should really be filed in the football fiction section but, amazingly, it will forever be filed under football fact now. It really was that good. It genuinely was that epic. I've never witnessed a tie like it at this level, at this stage and with this kind of opposition.

Those at the St. Etienne game just knew they'd witnessed history being written before their very eyes. I never thought I'd see that topped for sheer drama, but the whole tie against Barcelona tops the lot. The biggest stage. The biggest competition. The biggest teams. The biggest individuals, and a tie with a story you couldn't write without being laughed at as a fantasist. What we saw was genuine football history unfolding before our eyes. Even for a fanbase that thought it had seen it all, this tie set a new benchmark. Anyone who loves football was privileged to witness this tie in its entirety. I've never in my life seen so many opposition fans holding their hands up in admiration as I did after this tie. Sometimes, you just know you have seen something amazing unfold. We knew. They knew.

As I type this I'm looking at my half-size European Cup replica I bought after the final and I still have a smile on my face that's been there since May. I cannot thank this club enough for the joy it's brought me. How lucky are we? Most football fans will follow their clubs to the grave, but they will not witness a tie like our club gave us here in their lifetime. We really are so incredibly lucky.

Sorry to go on about this so much, but in a way I'm still trying to process it all. I'm still trying to find the words in my mind to accurately reflect the gravity of it all. I know, it's only a game, but it's actually more than that, isn't it. In a tough world going through difficult times we have to grasp the positives with both hands and enjoy them. I lost both my own dad and my partner's dad in the space of two weeks back in late 2017. Both big Reds fans. I wish they had been here to see this. They sadly weren't, but I'm so glad I'm still here and got to witness it myself. They say we are unbearable, but the reality is that we simply enjoy things and make the most of them. We've gone through the lows and took the blows. Now it's time to enjoy the highs. If you can't enjoy the highs, what have you got in life?

• Legacy Fan
SoP, cheers for sharing all of that, my sentiments exactly as well :)

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
:D

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm

Belter of a post, something in my eye now.
:D

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
If you were in the Lower Sir Kenny near the Kop end you might spot yourself on this video.

I just love seeing the faces on people at this game.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TgetLUBpw1I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TgetLUBpw1I</a>
Wow. This is a great video. Awesome footage. ( And I want a beautiful LFC supporting girl like that Brazilian (or Portuguese guy).  :(
« Last Edit: July 7, 2019, 06:39:37 am by LiverBirdKop »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Cheers mate.

The amazing thing is, none of it is bravado or hype. This is how it actually happened in reality. It's genuinely difficult to find the words to accurately reflect the gravity of what took place in that tie. As a story, it had absolutely everything. It was perfect in every way. This kind of story should really be filed in the football fiction section but, amazingly, it will forever be filed under football fact now. It really was that good. It genuinely was that epic. I've never witnessed a tie like it at this level, at this stage and with this kind of opposition.

Those at the St. Etienne game just knew they'd witnessed history being written before their very eyes. I never thought I'd see that topped for sheer drama, but the whole tie against Barcelona tops the lot. The biggest stage. The biggest competition. The biggest teams. The biggest individuals, and a tie with a story you couldn't write without being laughed at as a fantasist. What we saw was genuine football history unfolding before our eyes. Even for a fanbase that thought it had seen it all, this tie set a new benchmark. Anyone who loves football was privileged to witness this tie in its entirety. I've never in my life seen so many opposition fans holding their hands up in admiration as I did after this tie. Sometimes, you just know you have seen something amazing unfold. We knew. They knew.

As I type this I'm looking at my half-size European Cup replica I bought after the final and I still have a smile on my face that's been there since May. I cannot thank this club enough for the joy it's brought me. How lucky are we? Most football fans will follow their clubs to the grave, but they will not witness a tie like our club gave us here in their lifetime. We really are so incredibly lucky.

Sorry to go on about this so much, but in a way I'm still trying to process it all. I'm still trying to find the words in my mind to accurately reflect the gravity of it all. I know, it's only a game, but it's actually more than that, isn't it. In a tough world going through difficult times we have to grasp the positives with both hands and enjoy them. I lost both my own dad and my partner's dad in the space of two weeks back in late 2017. Both big Reds fans. I wish they had been here to see this. They sadly weren't, but I'm so glad I'm still here and got to witness it myself. They say we are unbearable, but the reality is that we simply enjoy things and make the most of them. We've gone through the lows and took the blows. Now it's time to enjoy the highs. If you can't enjoy the highs, what have you got in life?

Always a pleasure reading such posts.

Now get me a link for a European Cup replica, please?  :D
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The best thing about this match was that it just adds to the Anfield myth. The ground and its atmosphere were already known throughout Europe but this will put the fear of God into any opposition player coming for a big European tie. Look at these comments from some of our rivals:

"And I am sure the players knew that Anfield is Anfield. The motto "This is Anfield" is no marketing spin, there's something about it that you will find in no other stadium in the world. They score a goal and over the next five minutes you feel that you'll receive another four. You feel small and the rival players seem to be all over. We've all gone through what happened to Barca. They were laughing at me when we were losing 3-0 after the first 15-20 minutes of the quarter-final. It's a bugger of a ground" - Pep Guardiola

"Also, in my playing career, Anfield was the only ground where in which I had the feeling of ‘pájara’, of being stuck. It happened to me with Arsenal, and we conceded five… You say: ‘I do not know what’s going on, stop the game, please, because I do not know where I am’. It’s hard to explain, but it never happened to me anywhere other than Anfield. Barca surprise me by the form of some of their goals, but at Anfield you can concede five without knowing. Neither in Spain nor in Greece or Germany did I have that feeling. Not even in Old Trafford." - Mikel Arteta

"Anfield is one of those places to make the impossible be possible" - Jose Mourinho

"[For a] home game, this is the most heated stadium in Europe in a return game. It is the only place you don't want to go. The atmosphere - everything - is special there." - Arsene Wenger

I can't think of another ground that has this kind of reputation, the Turkish clubs are known for their crazy atmospheres but have never really had the means to back it up on the field. The Spanish clubs have all the talent in the world but their atmospheres can be flat. Ours is the perfect combination. No wonder everyone in England hates us so much.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline willss

• Legacy Fan
The funniest thing is we’ll still get little clubs singing “where’s your famous Atmosphere” 20 mins into a wed night league game when we are already 2 up.  At least out Atmosphere is there when we really need it!

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
The best thing about this match was that it just adds to the Anfield myth. The ground and its atmosphere were already known throughout Europe but this will put the fear of God into any opposition player coming for a big European tie. Look at these comments from some of our rivals:

"And I am sure the players knew that Anfield is Anfield. The motto "This is Anfield" is no marketing spin, there's something about it that you will find in no other stadium in the world. They score a goal and over the next five minutes you feel that you'll receive another four. You feel small and the rival players seem to be all over. We've all gone through what happened to Barca. They were laughing at me when we were losing 3-0 after the first 15-20 minutes of the quarter-final. It's a bugger of a ground" - Pep Guardiola

"Also, in my playing career, Anfield was the only ground where in which I had the feeling of ‘pájara’, of being stuck. It happened to me with Arsenal, and we conceded five… You say: ‘I do not know what’s going on, stop the game, please, because I do not know where I am’. It’s hard to explain, but it never happened to me anywhere other than Anfield. Barca surprise me by the form of some of their goals, but at Anfield you can concede five without knowing. Neither in Spain nor in Greece or Germany did I have that feeling. Not even in Old Trafford." - Mikel Arteta

"Anfield is one of those places to make the impossible be possible" - Jose Mourinho

"[For a] home game, this is the most heated stadium in Europe in a return game. It is the only place you don't want to go. The atmosphere - everything - is special there." - Arsene Wenger

I can't think of another ground that has this kind of reputation, the Turkish clubs are known for their crazy atmospheres but have never really had the means to back it up on the field. The Spanish clubs have all the talent in the world but their atmospheres can be flat. Ours is the perfect combination. No wonder everyone in England hates us so much.

it's a great point, it's gives us even more of an advantage in the CL next year because everyone saw what happened to the "mighty Barca"

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
Always a pleasure reading such posts.

Now get me a link for a European Cup replica, please?  :D
Cheers Yiannis. 😃

I see in your profile you are from sunny Greece, so where I got my trophy from would be no use to you. I got mine here in Liverpool from the guy who sells football souvenirs at the top of the escalators in St. John's Precinct.

For those willing to blow around £780 there is a guy in America who you can commission to make you a full sized beauty of a replica. He makes them to order and they look absolutely spot on, hence the cost. Mind you, I've seen far inferior ones online that cost a lot more. Anyway, the CL trophy is copyrighted, so he sells them to you with no engraving at all, but once purchased he will engrave anything on it you require for free. So if you want it looking like the original, he will do that for you.

I'm on my phone so can't link direct to his site, but it's called COPYTROPHY.

I'd buy one of them myself if I could justify the cost outlay at the moment, but I can't. Mine is a half sized trophy and is not engraved. However, the guy I bought it from said someone else bought one from him and got it engraved locally in Timpsons for around £30 and it looked great.

I also have a mini official UEFA replica I bought on eBay. It's only 150mm high but is perfect and weighs a lot. You can buy them at the National Football Museum online for £70 when they have them in stock. I've seen the very same ones elsewhere online for over £100 though.  :o UEFA also have a website that sells miniature replicas of their trophies. They are small, but because they are official they are good replicas.

It's definitely worth sifting the wheat from the chaff with replica trophies because there are some pretty awful ones out there as you will see yourself if you trawl through links to champions League trophy replicas.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2019, 05:29:42 pm by Sons of pioneerS »

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
The funniest thing is we’ll still get little clubs singing “where’s your famous Atmosphere” 20 mins into a wed night league game when we are already 2 up.  At least out Atmosphere is there when we really need it!
That always makes me laugh.

It's a bit like the guy in a 1litre Vauxhall Corsa tearing past the Ferrari that's cruising down the road at 30mph and laughing at its driver. Yet put both on the track when it really counts, and the Corsa blows a gasket at 80mph whilst the Ferrari cruises past it in 2nd gear.

Basically, the opposition in such games need to understand that the atmosphere is rather flat and understated simply because it's them we are playing and not a big team.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Kudos to the mod(s) who put “Bloody Hell” in the thread title!

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
it's a great point, it's gives us even more of an advantage in the CL next year because everyone saw what happened to the "mighty Barca"

"If Barcelona couldn't beat them with a three goal advantage, what chance do we have?" Is what I imagine everyone will be thinking.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool

...a fairytale coming true is the perfect way to define it. I go back to our very first year in Europe and there's been a multitude of great Anfield nights but now we can all look back on what it enabled us to achieve a few weeks later and bring the trophy back to the adoring multitudes it becomes clear that there's never been anything quite like that Barca night.

Nice post mate.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I still get teary and emotional every time I watch anything from that night.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Just seen the Fabinho Globo Hoje Sim interview translated in the Echo. Apparently, Klopp - after the first semi final - congratulated everyone on the performance. Then, according to Fabinho: “I was in the ice bath with (Sadio) Mane after the game and Klopp came up to me and said 'Gini said we'll get through next week – what do you think?'
“I said I was sure of it, and Klopp replied 'Good, there's three of us already!”

Someone has commented below that Klopp's comments are pure Shankly.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
I still get teary and emotional every time I watch anything from that night.

We won ya know.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
Statement win.!

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan

I was gonna write basically this and then you stole my thunder!!!!

The reality is that this result and the subsequent victory in Madrid can be real walls now for us in Europe.  Imagine when we get to teh knock out stages next season and the newspapers are writing stuff like 'Klopp has never lost a 2 legged tie in Europe', 'Remember Barcelona' etc etc.  Players are human and no matter what they will be affected by the atmosphere....the opposition will feel smaller and slower and weaker whereas our players will be lifted to another level.  They are now legends so they can puff their chests out and know that they can walk the walk now...I don't give a damn what anyone says but when you are part of something like we the sum is always greater than the sum of the parts but when the parts are some of the finest players on the planet....well you just do the maths.

We have a monster and with stability and maturity we will be the best for a long time!