Author Topic: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (release due: 22/3/19)  (Read 8429 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (release due: 22/3/19)
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2023, 08:29:51 pm »
Just found a katana in Elden Ring that does the Ichimonji  ;D

I'm starting ER next myself mate :)

Just this minute reached the Corrupted Monk (Fake) at the end of Mibu village

Have beaten every other boss and mini-bosses available so far (except Headless).  Have all available Gourds and Prayer Beads too.

Edit:   Just fought Monk quickly and can deflect him easily.  I suspect I need Divine Confetti or Lilac Umbrella/projected force to hurt him though.  One for tomorrow, but I'm confident.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 08:51:54 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2023, 06:35:10 am »
Honestly, don’t even bother with all that stuff for faux Monk. I tried it all, just ended up complicating the fight without much gains. That fight is a sprint to get his health down, because his posture will not budge an inch before you do. So focus on trimming it down to half first, after that you can deflect him to build up his posture and off you go.

Offline Skagger

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2023, 10:12:35 am »
It's the last time in the game that the snap seeds have a purpose. Snap seed then Ashina cross then repeat step 1 and 2 twice more and you're laughing

There's a fairly well hidden prayer bead and a gourd in Mibu that you'll wanna pick up
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 10:14:44 am by Skagger »
Henderson has been very good in patches and if he had the confidence of Shelvey he would be some player.
Shame how it ended, hell of a ride though.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2023, 02:43:18 pm »
Honestly, don’t even bother with all that stuff for faux Monk. I tried it all, just ended up complicating the fight without much gains. That fight is a sprint to get his health down, because his posture will not budge an inch before you do. So focus on trimming it down to half first, after that you can deflect him to build up his posture and off you go.

Won't using the lilac umbrella to deflect then projected force to attack, whittle down his health?

I did read about snap seed but figured it was a bit of a cheese.  I guess they are in the game for a reason and no more cheese than any other prosthetic or buff

As for the Mibu prayer bead. Yeah I know I need a diving technique to get it.  I bet this game was so much harder on release without the Wiki and forum tips. 

Reddit is usually a cesspit for most things, but the Soulsborne community on there is great.

Edit:  In the end, I just used Snapseed and Mortal Draw on the Bastard Monk.  Up to fighting Shinobi Owl now as I chose to honor Kuro.  These fights are getting bloody tougher.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 12:50:11 am by Buck Pete »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2023, 03:46:58 pm »
Guys, really struggling with Great Shinobi OWL. Help, please.

During his special attacks, I know where to punish him and can do some damage with whatever combat art I choose.

But...  what I am really struggling with, are his sword combos.  SImply burning my posture even when I deflect.  How do you counter these and when do you punish? He just keeps chasing me down.  I get stuck against a back wall and the camera is a nightmare.

I know I'll beat him one day but I've only had him to phase II a few times.  God help me when I fight Owl Father, I know.

The videos I've watched on YouTube are years old and I think he's been patched since, as he just isn't as quick on those vids.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2023, 04:19:10 pm »
Yep, it is a bit of an issue.
Probably the first fight where you really need to mind your posture.
He both hits like a tank and is fucking relentless.
Remember that as long as you deflect well, he can't fully break your posture even if it's topped up.

I was like 'no way am I ever getting through this', then as always you just start figuring out openings more and more and getting better at exploiting them.
It might look tricky, but do try and work on getting behind him when he is 'dropping bombs'. It will serve you well for Owl Father also.
His easiest opening is the spin jump attack, super easy to dodge and you can punish him plenty afterwards.

But really, just make effort to consolitate something every time you fight him. Learn how to read one move, how to dodge one attack, how to punish or avoid something.
Brick by brick. Both him and Owl Father are proper chess matches. Take your time and be methodical.

PS:
If you're Youtubing for guides - my favourite for all Souls games is Fightincowboy.
No cheeses, just really tells you how to get through any given fight.
He will make you feel like shit though, cause he's kinda good. :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 04:22:18 pm by Zlen »

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2023, 04:28:55 pm »
Oh, just wanted to share a drawing I made in tribute to this game after I finished it.  :wave

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2023, 08:26:40 pm »
Yeah, Fighincowboy is very good, but his Owl fight is out of date, unfortunately.  He's been patched and Owl moves so much quicker, unlike the juggernaut he is in these 4-year-old vids.

I can get to his second phase very occasionally keeping my distance and waiting for him to jump attack.  As you say it's easily dodged and punished.  And that's with using Mortal Draw (no spirit emblems)

Cannot for the life of me punish his charm move without getting debuffed.  H-2-H with swords and there is only one winner.  He blocks almost everything and proceeds to ruin my posture.

Never used any Youtube guides for DS (other than O&S).

This is perhaps the hardest Boss I've ever faced.  I won't give up just yet but it's becoming not fun :(

Thankfully I wont ever have to face him in this form again once he is down.  If I beat him it will by luck and would take me another 500 attempts to beat him again.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2023, 08:39:23 pm »
Actually Cowboy I apologise

Just watched his walkthrough fight and he basically deflects the fucker to death.

too good
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 08:59:08 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2023, 01:28:56 am »
Beat him, lads. I fucking beat him!! Still had 2 resurrection nodes left too. When I had him down to 1/2 health on phase II I knew it was on.

Wow, that's a few top bosses that I've beaten between 01:00 and 01:30.  Must be my best time to fight.

That was arguably the most challenging boss I ever faced in my gaming history.

I know there's tougher to come, but let me enjoy the moment :)

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2023, 05:38:21 am »
Get in man! 👏
That’s Sekiro for you.

I recall a chat with my brother while fighting Isshin:

22:34 - No fucking way, Nope. Not happening in a million fucking years. Twat fiuck.

22:56 - Gettt innnnn!!!!

😁

It seems impossible, but you only need one run to click nicely. And when you learn to cope with most attacks it’s just a matter of time.

You’re going to love Owl Father.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2023, 08:16:16 am »
By the way Zlen. Great drawing.

I was too triggered about Shinobi Owl to comment earlier. :)

Isn’t Denon of Hatred tougher than Owl Father?

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2023, 09:08:40 am »
Objectively, both DOH and Isshin are harder, for different reasons.
DOH because he can one shot you like nobody's business and is very different to other boss fights.
Isshin because it's a looooong fight and he has a shit load of moves.

But there was just something about Owl Father that made him very special for me.
Arena is small and tricky, he is aggressive and you really need to master his shit to keep him under control.
But once I got good at it, I just knew he's going down and it felt bloody amazing.

Offline Skagger

• Main Stander
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2023, 11:08:25 am »
Nice art Zlen, this game really becomes an obsession right?

Good work Pete! I'll second the recommendation for fightingcowboy he was my sensei, as someone who didn't have a console for a decade and bought one when lockdown happened I know I wouldn't have got through the game without his videos. Some of the advice is dated and I needed to adapt it a bit, for example I found it more effective to use ashina cross/floating passage to chip away some health before switching to ichimonji for the second half of boss fights, also Pete, don't forget your sugars, the one that boosts posture can be really useful.

DOH was the only boss that felt like bullshit, a frustrating experience that I would have definitely cheesed if it wasn't for the upgrade materials he drops, it's beat him fair and square or play the game 4 times.

Oh and DEFINITELY go back to Hirata for owl father in the first play through, ol' Isshin without a full set of prayer beads was easily the hardest thing I've conquered in gaming to the point I was genuinely considering restarting the entire game from scratch to get them
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 11:13:44 am by Skagger »
Henderson has been very good in patches and if he had the confidence of Shelvey he would be some player.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2023, 03:18:47 pm »
Nice replies guys. Enjoying the Sekiro community spirit on here.

Guardian Ape has been my favorite fight so far and the most joyous I have felt when winning.  GSO was more a case of disbelief than anything else.

Just having a chilled Sekiro day today, exploring, farming, leveling up, and lining everything up ready for the endgame.  No tough bosses today as I need a good night Kip :)

I know it's a big spoiler (for me), but I have read all about the endings and stuff and what I need to do to achieve them.  The story isn't too important to me to be honest. It's all about the gameplay and sense of euphoria.  The stories in most video games these days are totally bonkers anyway.

I'm bagging the 3 main endings on my first run-through.  Then "Shura" on NG+.

Once I've polished off any available Mini-bosses I will be off to Endgame land.

E1. FHP - Ready to visit this area and fight CM and DD
E2. Hirata Estate (revisited) - Opened up idols and reached Juzou the Drunkard. part II.  Then on to OF (Eeek!)
E3. The Divine Child storyline is boxed off and all prepared for the ending that includes the item he gave me.

Looks like I will have to beat DOH on this run too as I don't think he will be accessible on the Shura ending path.  Is that right guys?

Offline Skagger

• Main Stander
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2023, 08:31:40 pm »
Yeah DOH isn't available with the shura ending, but just to reiterate, if you do three endings at once and then shura you'll still need to do a third play through for that upgrade which isn't available on shura and there isn't enough in one run.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: July 1, 2023, 12:42:43 am »
Yeah DOH isn't available with the shura ending, but just to reiterate, if you do three endings at once and then shura you'll still need to do a third play through for that upgrade which isn't available on shura and there isn't enough in one run.

Nah, mate.  I think you can do another backup save during the second run apparently.   Means I have to fight GSO again though :(

So... get all 3 regular endings on 1st playthrough.  (what I'm doing now)

Then...

Start NG+, and play up to speaking to Owl.   Backup save.  Go get the remaining upgrade materials. Trophy pops.

Reload save and continue to complete Shura ending

Sound about right Skags?

Offline Skagger

• Main Stander
« Reply #137 on: July 1, 2023, 09:57:38 am »
Yeah, you're right just looked it up, I'd forgotten that I'd missed the conversation with Emma and eavesdropping bits that meant I had to do three when I decided to go for platinum, only downside I can see from the method you're doing is there will be a fair bit of grinding, nothing too arduous though. I'd leave the sacred flame final upgrade until last, the shurikens cut through grunts, the axe is powerful and sabimaru is cheap to use and useful in the sunken Valley area

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: July 1, 2023, 12:28:06 pm »
Ive been using breaks inbetween bosses for grinding. Found some quality farming areas.

Actually, gonna farm enough Skill points for empowered mortal draw before fighting OF, DOH and suchlike.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: July 1, 2023, 10:09:08 pm »
Lads. Read the following on Reddit. Is it correct?  Not near console so can’t test.

If you hold block the whole time you're expecting an attack and you just repress block at the moment an attack connects, your only punishment for not timing a parry correctly is a block, as opposed to a connected attack.

Offline Skagger

• Main Stander
« Reply #140 on: July 2, 2023, 12:24:05 am »
Could work, problem is whenever you're holding block and draining your posture theirs drains at the same rate until you've got a good chunk off their health

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: July 2, 2023, 01:00:37 am »
Could work, problem is whenever you're holding block and draining your posture theirs drains at the same rate until you've got a good chunk off their health

Yeah this comment specifically resulted from a discussion about True Monk

As you know, she can literally be deflected to death in her first phase.   It's just that the deflect timings seem to be much more unforgiving.

The good thing is though, once you take about a 1/4 of her vitality bar away, her posture simply does not drain.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: July 2, 2023, 03:21:49 pm »
Shiiiit. True Corrupted Monk is such a goddam fun fight.

A deflection fest.

Getting to her phase III every time. Had to leave the house for the afternoon but quite frankly her time is up, she’s gonna be dead in the next gaming session. :)

edit:  RIP Monk.  You battled valiantly :)
« Last Edit: July 3, 2023, 12:19:21 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: July 7, 2023, 09:23:39 pm »
Yep, great fight.
Very flowy and dynamic.

Meanwhile I did another Sekiro drawing. Just because.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: July 9, 2023, 12:58:56 am »
Nice work :)

The left stick drift on my controller finally got that bad, I fired down to Argos today for a new one, and I beat Father Owl with the new controller a few attempts later :)  Did it without prosthetics or buffs.  What an absolutely epic battle that tests both your reflexes and muscle memory.

It's taken me a few days, but wow did I enjoy it.  A really fair fight and I only ever lost due to my own stupidity.   Finally got used to the old warrior by attacking him relentlessly and punishing his openings.

Struggled with Phase II for a while until I learned that when Father transforms into the owl, keep track of it, then as he lands and transforms back, punish him severely with standard Mortal Draw (I had no spirit emblems).

Been some great fights in this game.  True tests of skill and perseverance.

Just DOH and ISS to beat on this playthrough.

On to DOH first for his memory. See you in a few days lads.

Offline Skagger

• Main Stander
« Reply #145 on: July 9, 2023, 05:43:06 pm »
Good luck!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: July 9, 2023, 11:49:34 pm »
Good luck!

Out of curiosity, on your way to Platinum, did you beat DOH using the cheese or legit?

Im going to have a go tomorrow.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2023, 03:11:23 pm »
What an absolutely epic battle that tests both your reflexes and muscle memory.

It's taken me a few days, but wow did I enjoy it.  A really fair fight and I only ever lost due to my own stupidity.   Finally got used to the old warrior by attacking him relentlessly and punishing his openings.

Struggled with Phase II for a while until I learned that when Father transforms into the owl, keep track of it, then as he lands and transforms back, punish him severely with standard Mortal Draw (I had no spirit emblems).

Been some great fights in this game.  True tests of skill and perseverance.

Woohoo..
Nice going man.
Same way I went about, no buffs, no nothing - just stuck in there until I learned his every wink and he could no longer do anything to me.
It's probably my favourite boss fight in the game.

Demon of Hatred is a bit shit, but you'll get there.
No stopping you now really.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2023, 05:09:28 pm »
Just had a dozen or so fights with DOH.  Already had one health bar off him

Can handle his foot stomps and huge jumping slam easily.

A couple of his moves I am a bit stuck with atm and how to react, but ill get there.  Nowhere near as hard (up to now) as I thought he would be.

Saving my emblems until Phase III when I believe I can use Malcontent to stun him a few times.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2023, 09:35:03 pm »
God this firey bastard is tough.

Got him to phase 3 once and got 2 malcontents off and smashed over half his health. If I can get all 3 whistles off I can beat him.

Really hard to get him to last phase though. :(

Edit:  Guys,  Any tips on that swing-swing-stomp-swing combo he does PLEASE?  That move is totally wrecking me every time and all that's standing in the way of me beating his first two phases.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 12:03:43 am by Buck Pete »

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2023, 08:50:23 am »
Stay close, you want to be almost underneath him, and try to dodge behind him when he starts that move.

I saved all my emblems for phase 3 to use with the fire umbrella fwiw.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2023, 09:27:37 am »
Stay close, you want to be almost underneath him, and try to dodge behind him when he starts that move.

I saved all my emblems for phase 3 to use with the fire umbrella fwiw.

Yeah, I am under the bastard constantly mate hacking his ball-sack.  I also find deflecting his foot stomps more reliable than dodging too.

I have kind of got that swing/stomp combo down now.  Even a block doesn't cause too much burn damage

The game changer in phase I for me is when he creates distance, I now hang back and heal and let him perform his devastating ranged attack which misses me. THEN sprint back into him.  I lost count of how many times I got incinerated trying to close the gap on him straight after he created distance.  Will try the same in Phase II.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2023, 11:51:20 am »
The delay on the stomp messed me up for a while.

Yeah, I am under the bastard constantly mate hacking his ball-sack.  I also find deflecting his foot stomps more reliable than dodging too.

I have kind of got that swing/stomp combo down now.  Even a block doesn't cause too much burn damage

The game changer in phase I for me is when he creates distance, I now hang back and heal and let him perform his devastating ranged attack which misses me. THEN sprint back into him.  I lost count of how many times I got incinerated trying to close the gap on him straight after he created distance.  Will try the same in Phase II.

:thumbup

First two phases should start feeling easy now.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2023, 01:27:37 pm »
The delay on the stomp messed me up for a while.

:thumbup

First two phases should start feeling easy now.

Yeah, it's now very disappointing not to beat his first phase with all resurrections intact.  Should have him beat sometime today or perhaps about 2 am tomorrow :)

Great fight though. Really enjoying it.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2023, 02:51:54 pm »
So sorry for spamming you with my progress lads but I feel you are part of Team Buck :)

YES!!  Just beat DOH. So fucking happy. What an absolutely epic boss.  Loved every single death (kind of), of which there were many

I always knew I could beat him as long as I nailed his perilous charge attack and jumped at the right moment.  That was the only move that was giving me grief at the end.

Got his to Phase III.  Divine confetti/Akos Sugar/Malcontenet..... See ye.

Spoiler
RIP Sculptor
[close]

Ok, ISS here we come.  Lots of polls on Reddit have DOH tougher than ISS.  We shall see, but I don't think there's much in it.

Offline Skagger

• Main Stander
« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2023, 05:49:09 pm »
Out of curiosity, on your way to Platinum, did you beat DOH using the cheese or legit?

Im going to have a go tomorrow.

Had to do it legit for that lapis. Congrats on getting the big bugger down!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2023, 06:27:54 pm »
Had to do it legit for that lapis. Congrats on getting the big bugger down!

Why? Don't you get the Lapis if you cheese him off the cliff?

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2023, 06:35:58 pm »
Rock on Pete!
Isshin is easy once you get over second stage. Stage three is the same but with openings to ruin him with lighning reversal. Just stay on him.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2023, 12:50:39 pm »
Yep, the final boss is as tricky as everyone said.  Just trying to learn his moves and get through the first 2 easier phases regularly.

Starting to get to ISS Phase II (phase 3) reasonably often now.  Apparently, it's the hardest phase, and currently, I haven't a clue how to handle him and his spear.

As with DOH. Saving my spirit emblems for P4 to seal the deal, but do you guys think I should go balls out on him during P3?

Offline Skagger

• Main Stander
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2023, 01:53:59 pm »
Yep, the final boss is as tricky as everyone said.  Just trying to learn his moves and get through the first 2 easier phases regularly.

Starting to get to ISS Phase II (phase 3) reasonably often now.  Apparently, it's the hardest phase, and currently, I haven't a clue how to handle him and his spear.

As with DOH. Saving my spirit emblems for P4 to seal the deal, but do you guys think I should go balls out on him during P3?

Yes. Phase 4 has the lightning, with good timing to counter it back at him it becomes much easier than phase 3