Author Topic: 2019 in Music  (Read 41459 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: 2019 in Music
« Reply #360 on: July 23, 2019, 09:07:11 pm »
Think The National record is the biggest disappointment of the year for me.

Obviously, there is a lot of love for it from other posters but it sounds dull and it is very long / one paced.

Not sure it is experimental in the slightest - it just feels like a band choosing a safe path. Rylan is a great song but the rest offers me nothing.

Also, why are none of the women given featuring credits?

I like the artwork though  :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:10:41 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: July 23, 2019, 11:09:29 pm »

Yeah I raised this earlier in the thread, it just seems rude given how central they are to the whole album
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: July 24, 2019, 12:12:37 pm »
Don't listen to alot of rap normally but really enjoying Psychodrama by Dave.

Me too. He's a fabulous lyricist.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #363 on: July 25, 2019, 09:08:43 am »
Think The National record is the biggest disappointment of the year for me.

Obviously, there is a lot of love for it from other posters but it sounds dull and it is very long / one paced.

Not sure it is experimental in the slightest - it just feels like a band choosing a safe path. Rylan is a great song but the rest offers me nothing.

I like the artwork though  :)

I agree. Obviously think any National album can`t be bad, but feel their two latest albums is not on the level of the ones before(which are brilliant). I think they`re past their best work. 

I think their last album would be good by most other bands`standards, but they have set their own standards. Not a fan of the female singers. I know it`s a concept, but that doesn`t make it sound better.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:12:25 am by Raaphael »

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #364 on: July 25, 2019, 07:33:01 pm »

Really enjoying the Rozi Plain LP, it's lovely. Female singer, but more of an abstract backing than the usual strumfest.

Loved her previous album, need to give this a proper go.

Essentially by Japanese Breakfast is the summer song for me. Absolute bliss.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: July 26, 2019, 10:12:34 pm »
Been listening to the Flaming Lips new album a few times this week. It's a mix of Yoshimi's songwriting with the sounds of their more recent work. Wayne Coyne has that talent of writing lyrics which will have something nonsensical in one line and then something that will hit you to the very core in the next. I love it.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #366 on: August 2, 2019, 02:51:49 pm »
If I could have come up with all the bands likely to deliver a single-of-the-year contender, HAIM would have been low on the list, but this is really, really good. Love the mixing on this, it just sounds so fresh and different to anything else around that now. That heavy percussion in the foreground and those sax and guitar fills are just fantastic. Great Paul Thomas Anderson vid too:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZjuA_o6Jzyo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZjuA_o6Jzyo</a>
« Last Edit: August 2, 2019, 02:55:09 pm by Sheer Magnetism »

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: August 2, 2019, 04:17:48 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UGiQ_-Ktpvc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UGiQ_-Ktpvc</a>

Thanks to Chip for heads up on this. Incredible.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: August 2, 2019, 08:04:27 pm »
If I could have come up with all the bands likely to deliver a single-of-the-year contender, HAIM would have been low on the list, but this is really, really good. Love the mixing on this, it just sounds so fresh and different to anything else around that now. That heavy percussion in the foreground and those sax and guitar fills are just fantastic. Great Paul Thomas Anderson vid too:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZjuA_o6Jzyo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZjuA_o6Jzyo</a>

Funny enough, I always felt they have a massive single in them. They're just a really good band. And sound great live, Danielle is one of my favourite female frontmen... Frontwomen?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: August 2, 2019, 08:48:46 pm »

Great song. Major crush on Danielle to be honest.

Offline Owenjg77

• Main Stander
« Reply #370 on: August 3, 2019, 06:48:58 pm »
The complete TOOL discography is now on all music streaming sites for first time  and a new album (first in 13 million years) is due at the end of this month : )

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: August 4, 2019, 05:32:45 pm »
Great song. Major crush on Danielle to be honest.

Think this is the first HAIM song I`ve not disliked. I generally think their music is awful and can`t stand the way they come across in their music videos. That song is not awful though.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #372 on: August 7, 2019, 08:27:59 pm »
Really into the new Ty Segall album.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #373 on: August 8, 2019, 10:26:51 am »
Florist - Emily Alone
Warm and sweet acoustic guitar pop. Was wondering what it reminded me of and it turned out to be the first album by Kings of Convenience. They're on Double Double Whammy and that's a cool label with Frankie Cosmos and Cende et al.

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: August 9, 2019, 01:05:43 pm »
New Bon Iver album out 3 weeks early.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: August 9, 2019, 11:13:55 pm »
I've been bored with Sigur Ros for a decade, but their latest effort seems pretty decent on first listen.

A more minimalistic approach, with sweeping harmonies and loads of reverb. Reminiscent of early Eluvium mixed with Julianna Barwick. Doesn't hurt that their shortest piece is 8:23 mins  ;D

I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: August 10, 2019, 09:10:17 am »
Love ‘The Murder Capital’. 1st album out next week.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #377 on: August 10, 2019, 10:23:23 pm »
Anyone given Marika Hackman's new record a go yet?  Went to pick it up in town yesterday, but it wasn't in stock - waiting for post!  Seems to be getting very positive reviews.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: August 11, 2019, 05:57:54 pm »
‘LIINES’ are a girl band I caught at Glasto this year, also heard them a couple of times on Marc Riley I think. Well worth it if you get a chance. From Manchester and no gigs down south where I am unfortunately. All fairly short punchy songs.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #379 on: August 15, 2019, 03:30:44 pm »
‘LIINES’ are a girl band I caught at Glasto this year, also heard them a couple of times on Marc Riley I think. Well worth it if you get a chance. From Manchester and no gigs down south where I am unfortunately. All fairly short punchy songs.

I've been listening to Marc Riley's show quite a lot recently, as I tend to go for a run at 7pm - definitely becoming one of my favourites.

Ride & Sleater-Kinney have records out tomorrow - very much looking forward to spending the weekend with both (plus the Marika Hackman record, out last week, which I'm still waiting on!).

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #380 on: August 16, 2019, 12:26:48 pm »
The new Ride album is making a good impression on the first couple of listens.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: August 20, 2019, 08:40:31 pm »
Love ‘The Murder Capital’. 1st album out next week.
Cheers for the heads up. I couldn't really get into those Fontaines DC lads that got raved about earlier this year (though never gave them enough of a chance maybes) but quite enjoying this on first listen.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: August 24, 2019, 08:18:17 pm »
Tropical Fuck Storm have a new one out. It's mental.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: August 26, 2019, 08:41:51 pm »

Must do this. Speaking of Tropical weather and sending bombs into it... had 2.5 listens to this today after a heads up... 'Tropical Trash: SOUTHERN INDIANA DRONE FOOTAGE (Jan '19)

https://tropicaltrash.bandcamp.com/album/southern-indiana-drone-footage

Not from Indiana, but Kentucky. Always a good place. Very Sonic Youth like but beginning to dig it.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: August 27, 2019, 08:23:32 am »

There's an argument they are using guitars better than any other band around at the moment (That aren't a metal band). Really inventive dirt. Great band
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:30:28 am by Chip Evans »

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: August 27, 2019, 08:35:13 am »
Must do this. Speaking of Tropical weather and sending bombs into it... had 2.5 listens to this today after a heads up... 'Tropical Trash: SOUTHERN INDIANA DRONE FOOTAGE (Jan '19)

Not from Indiana, but Kentucky. Always a good place. Very Sonic Youth like but beginning to dig it.

This is awesome. Listening now.  Anyone who like Sonic Youth, Drives Like Jehu etc is gonna really like it.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #386 on: August 28, 2019, 07:38:42 pm »
Modern Nature new album is really great - some great hooks and melodies.

Given The Murder Capital a spin - don't think it is a patch on the bands in that ilk doing the rounds. However, they may a good thing as it may be a grower.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #387 on: August 29, 2019, 10:09:59 pm »
Tool’s new album is out today.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: August 30, 2019, 08:34:01 pm »
Rapsody's Eve is really rather wonderful. Proper good rap album, but more than that.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/54yOD994ors" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/54yOD994ors</a>

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: August 31, 2019, 09:50:47 am »
New Tool album is amazing.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #390 on: August 31, 2019, 01:51:39 pm »
Ezra Furman's latest record, Twelve Nudes, came out yesterday too - a 26 minute rattle through eleven energetic, emotionally-charged tracks.  Really good listen.  Furman's on a hot streak - Perpetual Motion People and Transangelic Exodus were also excellent.  All very different too.

Offline Mcnutty

• Main Stander
« Reply #391 on: August 31, 2019, 11:31:34 pm »
New Tool album is amazing.

Some amazing stuff on here. Pneuma is another Carrey masterpiece like Ticks and Leeches.
"And it goes Liverpool's way again as Reina makes a second save. He's going to out Dudek  Dudek."

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #392 on: September 1, 2019, 05:40:13 am »
I can’t stop listening to Pnuema off the new Tool. Incredible. Trippy as fuck.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: September 1, 2019, 07:57:00 am »
The album is a classic. I believe Danny Carey is the best rock drummer ever. He`s an upgraded John Bonham of our day.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: September 1, 2019, 09:14:23 am »
Can always appreciate the playing on a Tool album and then the singing starts.... and I have to turn it off. It just harks to a style of American metal/alt-rock I can not penetrate because their singers really annoy me. I struggle with Mike Patton for similar reasons although his stuff tends to be weird and funny enough to draw me in for longer.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2019, 09:16:03 am by Chip Evans »

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #395 on: September 1, 2019, 12:47:01 pm »
Can always appreciate the playing on a Tool album and then the singing starts.... and I have to turn it off. It just harks to a style of American metal/alt-rock I can not penetrate because their singers really annoy me. I struggle with Mike Patton for similar reasons although his stuff tends to be weird and funny enough to draw me in for longer.

I know what you mean by the way. I can’t really explain what changed my similar opinion to yours. Possibly Wings For Marie Pt 2 from the last album.
We are Liverpool!

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #396 on: September 1, 2019, 06:54:01 pm »
This might be the first song I've genuinely enjoyed since Courtney Barratt's "Pedestrian at Best" in 2015.

actually I'm sure there was a song on one of these music threads, maybe by a female fronted band (maybe british) about going to high school, all I remember is really liking it but I can't remember who did it or what its called or even how it goes. Maybe I dreamed it.

That Richard Dawson song it absolutely joyous though.  I've not heard anything of his before, and - even as I type - nothing but that song since...it's great when you come across something that you immediately pop on your 'to buy'/'to see live' list without needing to hear/see/know anything else.  Just brilliant.

Stab in the dark on that song for you - Pip Blom's 'School'...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YhGRGpnSZ6g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YhGRGpnSZ6g</a>

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: September 1, 2019, 10:44:37 pm »
This might be the first song I've genuinely enjoyed since Courtney Barratt's "Pedestrian at Best" in 2015.

actually I'm sure there was a song on one of these music threads, maybe by a female fronted band (maybe british) about going to high school, all I remember is really liking it but I can't remember who did it or what its called or even how it goes. Maybe I dreamed it.

You need to buy all Richard Dawson's albums, lads. He's the best songwriter in the UK and has been for a while. His last 2 albums are some of the most exciting and gratifying stuff I've ever heard. Not to mention seeing him live. He's a working class heavyweight. Last album was about the medieval north of England but really brexit, Canterbury Tales by a geordie. One before was all teenage memories, one of the best tunes about alcoholism committed to tape. Challenging but rewarding stuff.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GQVlNt6DAxY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GQVlNt6DAxY</a>
« Last Edit: September 2, 2019, 08:18:22 am by Chip Evans »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: September 2, 2019, 05:13:20 pm »
Lana Del Rey has finally released the masterpiece she’s been threatening to do ever since she came out.

Great album.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: September 4, 2019, 11:13:48 pm »

Really beginning to dig it now. It's not upgraded Sonic Youth, or upgraded Fall or upgraded Trumans Water, but I'd give this a 78/100 etc.