Author Topic: Was LFC Ticket Pricing Forum Now an Al555 usual mantra topic  (Read 100358 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Was LFC Ticket Pricing Forum Now an Al555 usual mantra topic
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2018, 07:34:39 pm »
We don't know Eel because FSG is a private company. We do know that some of the investors have sold some of their investment the New York Times sold their holding in 3 stages between 2010 and 2012.  We also know that recently Mike Gordon has increased his investment and gone above the 10% threshold that means the Premier League had to be informed. Whether that was in the form of s rights issue or him buying someone else shares we don't know.

Ahhh gotcha, so you don’t know

Just say that next time mate
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2018, 07:37:16 pm »
FSG leverage the value of LFC as part of the FSG stable in the US.

Investing in the Club and expanding the stadium would see the Club's value increase allowing them to leverage a more valuable asset in the US - they don't need to take profit/cash out of the Club - thats not the MO.

I'm trying to put this as simply as possible.

Without an increase of revenue after investment (the cost of a stadium in this case), there is no increase in value.

More simply yet, if the fans do not pay to increase revenue through increased tickets sales or increased hospitality, there is no additional value to leverage. Here or elsewhere.

Unless there is a sugar daddy pouring money into a club for other reasons (laundering allegedly ill-gotten gains from overseas or cleansing a nation's human rights reputation, for example), there is no other logic that works - apart from the fairy land where people invest money for the 'privilege' of owning a football club. See how well that works (when you try buying a club with non-profit shares, say).

The cost of football at the top level has moved way, way beyond the realms of the 'philanthropic' owner, playing with what was essentially a few shillings on the side of an otherwise immensely profitable business (like Littlewoods).

It's unbelievable that we have 'fans' who side with the club on this issue.

Al555 is right in his thinking, it's what most fans want I believe.

It's not siding with the 'opposition'. It's just a statement of the realities of the situation.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:48:09 pm by Peter McGurk »

Online ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2018, 07:53:11 pm »
I'm trying to put this as simply as possible.

Without an increase of revenue after investment (the cost of a stadium in this case), there is no increase in value.

More simply yet, if the fans do not pay to increase revenue through increased tickets sales or increased hospitality, there is no additional value to leverage. Here or elsewhere.

Unless there is a sugar daddy pouring money into a club for other reasons (laundering allegedly ill-gotten gains from overseas or cleansing a nation's human rights reputation, for example), there is no other logic that works. Apart from the fairy land where people invest money for the 'privilege' of owning a football club. See how well that works.

The cost of football at the top level has moved way, way beyond the realms of the 'philanthropic' owner, playing with what was essentially a few shillings on the side of an otherwise immensely profitable business (like Littlewoods).

It's not siding with the 'opposition'. It's just a statement of the realities of the situation.

Its is simple maths, isn't it - I want a new stadium, it will cost £500m; I take out a loan for £500m (in Al's world he would only see the liability and say it decreased the value of the club) I also get £500m cash so, using a Net Asset valuation model (not the best, but an accepted method in certain cases and also the easiest to explain) there is no change in value as the cash essentially offsets the loan; I then spend the cash and get a stadium in exchange, again no movement on the value of the club as I've acquired an asset.

In future I will have interest payments to make, capital repayments, repairs to the asset, costs of additional staffing and a myriad of other factors to take in to account which will eat in to the additional revenue. Any business making this sort of decision will start with a Net Present Value calculation which will look at projected future revenues of a project and the project capital cost, future cost and a number of other factors, to establish whether the project is viable i.e. profit bearing. The club, and their advisers, will have done this and deemed the redevelopment to be the best route forward for the business and that is fine because we don't want a repeat of H&G and running the club into the ground.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2018, 08:07:02 pm »
Its is simple maths, isn't it - I want a new stadium, it will cost £500m; I take out a loan for £500m (in Al's world he would only see the liability and say it decreased the value of the club) I also get £500m cash so, using a Net Asset valuation model (not the best, but an accepted method in certain cases and also the easiest to explain) there is no change in value as the cash essentially offsets the loan; I then spend the cash and get a stadium in exchange, again no movement on the value of the club as I've acquired an asset.

In future I will have interest payments to make, capital repayments, repairs to the asset, costs of additional staffing and a myriad of other factors to take in to account which will eat in to the additional revenue. Any business making this sort of decision will start with a Net Present Value calculation which will look at projected future revenues of a project and the project capital cost, future cost and a number of other factors, to establish whether the project is viable i.e. profit bearing. The club, and their advisers, will have done this and deemed the redevelopment to be the best route forward for the business and that is fine because we don't want a repeat of H&G and running the club into the ground.

You're right, not the most finessed model but the message is essentially the same. Projecting forward to establish whether its worth doing today. And without the income at the right level, it isn't.

Or, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Online ianburns252

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2018, 08:19:04 pm »
You're right, not the most finessed model but the message is essentially the same. Projecting forward to establish whether its worth doing today. And without the income at the right level, it isn't.

Or, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Aye, not perfect but it is a model that, for people without a CF background or experience running a large business, is simple to explain and demonstrate.

If we wanted to go wild we can get into Shareholder Value Analysis, a variety of valuation models, consideration of WACC, utilising various hedging and futures arrangements depending on the source of the loan.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2018, 08:34:48 pm »
You have got to love their cheek.
http://www.fenwaysportsmanagement.com/LFCtrips/

PACKAGE DETAILS
LFC U.S. Supporters Trip

Friday, April 27, 2018 — Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Four (4) night accommodations at the Hope Street Hotel in Downtown Liverpool
    Match hospitality package in the 1892 Lounge for the match v. Stoke City on April 28th*
    Welcome cocktail hour for U.S. Supporters
    Meet & Greet with an LFC Legend~
    VIP Tour of Anfield with museum access
    Transfers included with one transfer on the LFC Team Coach**
    LFC supporters gifts
    Optional add-on Liverpool tours
    All taxes and fees included
    24/7 on site travel assistance from LFC and FSM staff

Airfare Not Included
*Please note that all dates and kick off times are subject to change
**Team coach not available on matchday
~ Participating Legend is TBD
Participants must live in The Americas (North America, South America, Central America, or the Caribbean)
PRICING
Single   $2,299
Double   $1,799
Triple   $1,659

BOOK NOW

So now you have a problem with any hospitality?

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2018, 08:39:41 pm »

PACKAGE DETAILS
LFC U.S. Supporters Trip

Match hospitality package in the 1892 Lounge for the match v. Stoke City on April 28th*
    LFC supporters gifts

Airfare Not Included
Participants must live in The Americas (North America, South America, Central America, or the Caribbean)
PRICING
Single   $2,299
Double   $1,799
Triple   $1,659

BOOK NOW

I can see the value in having Jim on site for travel assistance.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2018, 08:59:28 pm »
We exist in a competitive environment though. We are competing with City, United, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal for a top 4 place. Four out of those five are playing at Stadium's with a bigger capacity than ours and the other one Chelsea are in the process of building a Stadium that will dwarf ours in terms of match day income.

You do understand that you've shot your argument in the foot there don't you?

Stadium's or redeveloped Stands have a 25 or 30 year shelf life. It is preposterous to suggest that they wouldn't pay for themselves in the long term. The thing is it isn't about that it is about the fans buying the owners a new Stadium or stand with the lowest amount of risk. Look at the Main Stand if it has a 25+ shelf life then why are the owners looking to pay it off in 5 or less.

It's a pity that the owners want their money back in 5 years. It's means there are no additional funds to attract better players for five years but then a. it's their money and b. it's interest-free

The argument is that we have a huge waiting list, we have tens of thousands of people who want to buy a season ticket. The Stadium simply doesn't meet the demands of the number of people who want to pay to watch us. The argument is that people are absolving the Club of any blame for demand massively outstripping supply when they are the ones who have failed to expand the Stadium so that it meets our needs.

For me that is down to the Club wanting to exploit the sweet spot. To artificially inflate ticket prices by restricting supply.

The sweet spot is the best balance between sales and cost. As matter of calculation and market projection, the sweetest spot (ie., the best return on investment) is to build just corporate/ hospitality seats and would be a capacity of about 51,000.

As a matter of fact, the club has gone beyond that to maximise capacity in the one stand for two reasons a. so the club would never have to go through the rigmarole of making that stand bigger again b. to maximise revenue (as well as coming close to optimising return).

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2018, 11:02:04 pm »
This list page has actually taught me stuff. Made me smarter even.

Thanks Peter and Ian.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2018, 11:21:29 pm »
Because we are fans and not walking talking cash points for the owners. Or are you suggesting we didn't have the right to protest about the £77 tickets. Quite simply without the fans they haven't got a business.

Let's unpackage that. To protest 77 pound tickets is not the same as determining what an appropriate level of return on someone else's investment is. So again, what makes it right for you to decide what level of return is appropriate on someone else's investment as you seem to do with alarming regularity. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: January 22, 2018, 01:58:17 am »
Not really sure why Al gets to shit up these type of threads with regularity, what's the point?

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: January 22, 2018, 05:38:34 am »
Let's unpackage that. To protest 77 pound tickets is not the same as determining what an appropriate level of return on someone else's investment is. So again, what makes it right for you to decide what level of return is appropriate on someone else's investment as you seem to do with alarming regularity. 
those two things come hand in hand surely? as in the owners obliviously wanted a greater return/more revenue hence the 77 pound tickets.

I find it laughable some on here are so defensive over how people have opinions on the club and the owners,  to the point of giving shit to the fans that had the balls to actually stand up and say no, enough is enough.

I hope more protests are planned and I think most clubs fans should start doing joint protests. the clubs, players and agents are bleeding us dry.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #252 on: January 22, 2018, 06:37:10 am »

PACKAGE DETAILS
LFC U.S. Supporters Trip

LFC supporters gifts

Airfare Not Included
PRICING
Single$2,299
Double$1,799
Triple$1,659

BOOK NOW
May I sincerely ask why it's cheeky to sell something that generates revenue for the club?

I'm genuinely baffled

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #253 on: January 22, 2018, 08:22:55 am »
A considerable part of the capacity expansion is low-key hospitality, but a very steep price. Different price ranges, but a good part is in the range of 4000 pounds per season. The intriguing part is that the club allows and markets the possibility of electronic transfer on a match-by-match basis. Cue – individual match tickets are officially being flogged for 200-400 pounds on social media..

Outsourcing of touting is from a revenue perspective a genius move; from a supporter point, not so good – so I guess what you think is depending on which side of the fence you are sitting on..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2018, 08:25:07 am »
those two things come hand in hand surely? as in the owners obliviously wanted a greater return/more revenue hence the 77 pound tickets.

I find it laughable some on here are so defensive over how people have opinions on the club and the owners,  to the point of giving shit to the fans that had the balls to actually stand up and say no, enough is enough.

I hope more protests are planned and I think most clubs fans should start doing joint protests. the clubs, players and agents are bleeding us dry.

Damn I didn’t really pay much attention over the last few pages, could you quote a few examples mate
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2018, 08:26:11 am »
A considerable part of the capacity expansion is low-key hospitality, but a very steep price. Different price ranges, but a good part is in the range of 4000 pounds per season. The intriguing part is that the club allows and markets the possibility of electronic transfer on a match-by-match basis. Cue – individual match tickets are officially being flogged for 200-400 pounds on social media..

Outsourcing of touting is from a revenue perspective a genius move; from a supporter point, not so good – so I guess what you think is depending on which side of the fence you are sitting on..

Those tickets funded the £9 tickets - they made the sums for the Main Stand add up. Squeezing the pips on corporates is probably the least bad way to increase gate revenue.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #256 on: January 22, 2018, 08:44:02 am »
FSG’s loan for the Main Stand is not interest free. See the accounts.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #257 on: January 22, 2018, 08:49:47 am »
FSG’s loan for the Main Stand is not interest free. See the accounts.

1.24% interest rate. For comparison’s sake our banking facility is at 2.24%.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #258 on: January 22, 2018, 09:03:05 am »
1.24% interest rate. For comparison’s sake our banking facility is at 2.24%.

And inflation is over 2%.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #259 on: January 22, 2018, 09:07:34 am »
And inflation is over 2%.

Works out at a little over £3.5m in interest over 5 years (on the £110m mentioned in the last accounts, not sure if it’s more now).

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #260 on: January 22, 2018, 09:14:57 am »

People end up forced into extreme positions that they might not otherwise take because of the vitriol and the endless drone of posts criticising the owners. You can't have a middle ground, because it doesn't work on the internet.

I think FSG are decent owners. I don't think they're great owners, and I think much they have done could have been improved upon. Trying to charge £77 for tickets was a mistake and the protest was an excellent move to push back on that. But then, FSG responded and changed their plans in that regard (though they are often accused of not listening to the fans). It shouldn't have happened in the first place but it's an issue that has been, for a time anyway, resolved.

To those who dislike them they are parasites whose sole focus is corporate gain and financial greed, who are happy to trample on the club and sell its traditions and atmosphere at any price and at whatever cost to the club. When you are of this view, an objective discussion becomes pointless. You can't make rational points about them bringing financial stability to a club that was nearly bankrupt, about growing commercial revenues to make the club's long term growth sustainable, about FINALLY increasing Anfield's capacity after decades of inaction (because apparently it wasn't enough), about bringing in the best manager the club has had in decades and footing the bill for the players he has sought, about steadying our ship to get us back into the CL etc etc etc. You can't draw comparisons to other owners - the likes of Mike Ashley who treat fans with conempt, foreign owners representing states, organisations or interests with murky human rights records or questionable sources of income, owners who mortgage the futures of clubs with years of financial mismanagement.

I support fan protests and the work done by supporters groups but I think many of the criticisms they have over the ownership are more with the way modern football has developed than anything FSG are doing per se. I think often this ire would be better directed at the Premier League, or sponsors, or Sky etc etc. I still respect what they're aiming for, I can just see it from the perspective of the ownership too, a viewpoint which seems so alien to some that they won't countenance it.

All this difficult nuanced debate is lost, because people who hate our owners have such entrenched positions about it that any discussion with any nuance becomes impossible. So, as with politics, the people who are happy enough with FSG broadly get pushed into a staunch defence and we have the same boring f*cking discussions OVER and OVER again with the same characters. It's tedious and it ruins thread after thread here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:20:58 am by JerseyKloppite »

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: January 22, 2018, 09:20:15 am »
Nice one Jersey.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2018, 09:23:55 am »
People end up forced into extreme positions that they might not otherwise take because of the vitriol and the endless drone of posts criticising the owners. You can't have a middle ground, because it doesn't work on the internet.

I think FSG are decent owners. I don't think they're great owners, and I think much they have done could have been improved upon. Trying to charge £77 for tickets was a mistake and the protest was an excellent move to push back on that. But then, FSG responded and changed their plans in that regard (though they are often accused of not listening to the fans). It shouldn't have happened in the first place but it's an issue that has been, for a time anyway, resolved.

To those who dislike them they are parasites whose sole focus is corporate gain and financial greed, who are happy to trample on the club and sell its traditions and atmosphere at any price and at whatever cost to the club. When you are of this view, an objective discussion becomes pointless. You can't make rational points about them bringing financial stability to a club that was nearly bankrupt, about growing commercial revenues to make the club's long term growth sustainable, about FINALLY increasing Anfield's capacity after decades of inaction (because apparently it wasn't enough), about bringing in the best manager the club has had in decades and footing the bill for the players he has sought, about steadying our ship to get us back into the CL etc etc etc. You can't draw comparisons to other owners - the likes of Mike Ashley who treat fans with conempt, foreign owners representing states, organisations or interests with murky human rights records or questionable sources of income, owners who mortgage the futures of clubs with years of financial mismanagement.

I support fan protests and the work done by supporters groups but I think many of the criticisms they have over the ownership are more with the way modern football has developed than anything FSG are doing per se. I think often this ire would be better directed at the Premier League, or sponsors, or Sky etc etc. I still respect what they're aiming for, I can just see it from the perspective of the ownership too, a viewpoint which seems so alien to some that they won't countenance it.

All this difficult nuanced debate is lost, because people who hate our owners have such entrenched positions about it that any discussion with any nuance becomes impossible. So, as with politics, the people who are happy enough with FSG broadly get pushed into a staunch defence and we have the same boring f*cking discussions OVER and OVER again with the same characters. It's tedious and it ruins thread after thread here.

Brilliant post

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2018, 09:41:01 am »
Those tickets funded the £9 tickets - they made the sums for the Main Stand add up. Squeezing the pips on corporates is probably the least bad way to increase gate revenue.

Fair point that; at the same time a less aggressive target on the pay-back period would have more beneficial to the customers/consumers/supporters..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2018, 09:48:15 am »
Works out at a little over £3.5m in interest over 5 years (on the £110m mentioned in the last accounts, not sure if it’s more now).

I assume LFC are adhering to IFRS, while FSG might go with US GAAP

I would still imagine both would have to take into account arm-lengths principle, so any loans considerably below market rate would have to be solidly justified or accounted for elsewhere in the T&C’s on the loan(s)

The owners are not allowed to be charitable or good in these instances, so using that either to put them in a good/bad light are equally pointless

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2018, 10:29:25 am »

Very well said.

Having stepped back from the acrimonious discussion, I am starting to realise what the origin of the view as represented by people like Al, Graham, and stevensr123 is.

It stems from the growing realisation that the local fan (for Top Six clubs in general, not LFC specifically) is becoming less relevant to the success (and value) of football clubs (emptyhad and blue plastics are hapless and abject examples).

Football has been sanitised and repackaged into a  global 'product' that sells eyeballs to TV advertiser, sporting good manufacturers and clothing retailers. In this context, local fans exist simply to provide 'colour', a backdrop for the stage if you will, important but not absolutely essential (as bitter a pill as that may be to swallow)..

It is this reality that the local fan is railing against, the loss of relevance, the feeling that their passion has been stolen from them.

I don't know what the answer is, I only know that the advent of easy communication and technology that allows you to 'be there' via a screen has changed football (and other sports) forever. I also know that locals fighting non-locals is the incorrect path.

The only thing that I can hold onto is that all of us want the same thing - a strong, vibrant club that enjoys success in the top flight.

Something that genuinely baffles me is how a section of the local fans can

a. begrudge the non -locals a mere 15% allocation, and
b. fail to recognise that without the non-local that LFC would not be remotely close to competing for the footballing talent that  is the lifeblood of success.

The reality is that we have to find some kind of balance and that vitriolic responses to each other are counter productive.

Offline WisconsinRed

• Special: but only in his very own.....special.....way!
  • Kopite
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2018, 11:04:03 am »
Very well said.

Having stepped back from the acrimonious discussion, I am starting to realise what the origin of the view as represented by people like Al, Graham, and stevensr123 is.

It stems from the growing realisation that the local fan (for Top Six clubs in general, not LFC specifically) is becoming less relevant to the success (and value) of football clubs (emptyhad and blue plastics are hapless and abject examples).

Football has been sanitised and repackaged into a  global 'product' that sells eyeballs to TV advertiser, sporting good manufacturers and clothing retailers. In this context, local fans exist simply to provide 'colour', a backdrop for the stage if you will, important but not absolutely essential (as bitter a pill as that may be to swallow)..

It is this reality that the local fan is railing against, the loss of relevance, the feeling that their passion has been stolen from them.

I don't know what the answer is, I only know that the advent of easy communication and technology that allows you to 'be there' via a screen has changed football (and other sports) forever. I also know that locals fighting non-locals is the incorrect path.

The only thing that I can hold onto is that all of us want the same thing - a strong, vibrant club that enjoys success in the top flight.

Something that genuinely baffles me is how a section of the local fans can

a. begrudge the non -locals a mere 15% allocation, and
b. fail to recognise that without the non-local that LFC would not be remotely close to competing for the footballing talent that  is the lifeblood of success.

The reality is that we have to find some kind of balance and that vitriolic responses to each other are counter productive.

Well the owners could get the anfield road end done, getting more fans in at a decent price, without looking for a quick payback and maybe that would placate most people.

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2018, 11:21:02 am »
Well the owners could get the anfield road end done, getting more fans in at a decent price, without looking for a quick payback and maybe that would placate most people.

Somehow I doubt this. How long did the Main Stand expansion keep everyone happy? It was used as a stick to beat FSG with by some, as, iirc, the argument was that they should have built a new stadium instead.

As for paying down debts quickly, that reduces the amount of interest that the club has to pay. That reduces the amount of money going out of the club.
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Online ianburns252

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2018, 12:35:03 pm »
I assume LFC are adhering to IFRS, while FSG might go with US GAAP

I would still imagine both would have to take into account arm-lengths principle, so any loans considerably below market rate would have to be solidly justified or accounted for elsewhere in the T&C’s on the loan(s)

The owners are not allowed to be charitable or good in these instances, so using that either to put them in a good/bad light are equally pointless

The club's accounts are prepared under FRS102 - not entirely the same as IFRS but more similar than the previous UK GAAP.

In terms of transactions within the P&L then yes, there has to be evidence of arms an arms length basis - this would be reviewed by the audit team from KPMG.

As FSG have provided a loan to us, this can be done at whatever terms the two entities agree on - an awful lot of owner/director loans that I come across when carrying out audits are provided with no interest.

There are no explicit provisions regarding 'charitability' in these instances

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2018, 01:11:32 pm »
Some excellent posts and points made in the last page, Jersey and Rush82 well said.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2018, 01:45:57 pm »
Somehow I doubt this. How long did the Main Stand expansion keep everyone happy? It was used as a stick to beat FSG with by some, as, iirc, the argument was that they should have built a new stadium instead.

As for paying down debts quickly, that reduces the amount of interest that the club has to pay. That reduces the amount of money going out of the club.

The frustration over the main stand is that it was part of a project that began in 1999. A project that was meant to extend both the   
Main stand and the ARE. That followed on from the centenay stand debacle. A situation that has left us miles behind in terms of Stadium development. This isn't just FSG it is a succession of owners with a lack of vision.

The other point is the notion that a Football Club has to be run as a pure business. That everything has to be about maximising income and about the owners asset being increased without them investing and with them minimising any risk.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline WisconsinRed

• Special: but only in his very own.....special.....way!
  • Kopite
« Reply #272 on: January 22, 2018, 01:57:29 pm »

Well the main stand was done for the corporate side of things, not for us normal fans. The ARE will be for normal fans and this is the reason they are dragging their feet. There's not a quick return from building for normal fans.

Why would it reduce the interest? They could just pay for it! That would be a novel idea eh? You know owners paying for it, you seeing as though they own the bloody club!

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #273 on: January 22, 2018, 02:51:03 pm »
Well the main stand was done for the corporate side of things, not for us normal fans. The ARE will be for normal fans and this is the reason they are dragging their feet. There's not a quick return from building for normal fans.

Why would it reduce the interest? They could just pay for it! That would be a novel idea eh? You know owners paying for it, you seeing as though they own the bloody club!

So the fans in the main stand, are they abnormal or subnormal fans?
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: January 22, 2018, 03:00:13 pm »
I think this thread has a severe case of foot in mouth disease.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online ianburns252

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: January 22, 2018, 03:05:59 pm »

In any other business it would be unusual for the owners to just pump money in to buy/redevelop assets so why should it be different here?

A successful business should be able to sustain itself from its own trade rather than hoping for a benefactor to just pour money in to it. Even then, if the owners did pay for it upfront, the club would still owe them that money at some point down the line.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: January 22, 2018, 03:11:55 pm »

In terms of transactions within the P&L then yes, there has to be evidence of arms an arms length basis - this would be reviewed by the audit team from KPMG.

As FSG have provided a loan to us, this can be done at whatever terms the two entities agree on -

Which of course underlines that you can't build any conclusion on 1,24 v 2 %, as there would have to be additional clauses in order to support armlength

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #277 on: January 22, 2018, 03:16:18 pm »
In any other business it would be unusual for the owners to just pump money in to buy/redevelop assets so why should it be different here?

A successful business should be able to sustain itself from its own trade rather than hoping for a benefactor to just pour money in to it. Even then, if the owners did pay for it upfront, the club would still owe them that money at some point down the line.

I hate to break it you mate it's called Liverpool FOOTBALL Club not Liverpool business Club. The aim is to be successful on the pitch not the balance sheet.

The owners can't have it both ways. They can't look to pretend we are a global family based around our love of the game and LFC in particular and then look to make cold business decisions.

If they want it to be a pure business then can they please inform me when I will be getting a return on the tens of thousands of pounds I have pumped into the business over the last 30 years.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: January 22, 2018, 03:23:00 pm »
I hate to break it you mate it's called Liverpool FOOTBALL Club not Liverpool business Club. The aim is to be successful on the pitch not the balance sheet.

The owners can't have it both ways. They can't look to pretend we are a global family based around our love of the game and LFC in particular and then look to make cold business decisions.

If they want it to be a pure business then can they please inform me when I will be getting a return on the tens of thousands of pounds I have pumped into the business over the last 30 years.

I love your corinthian ideals mate, but you need to accept we're not in the Victorian era any more. Professional football clubs ARE businesses as well as football clubs.

You know the manager's not just here for football, right? The clue is he's not doing it for free. Alongside his love of the game and love of the club he's here because he's getting paid a fortune.

You know the player's aren't just here for football, right? The clue is they're not doing it for free. Alongside their love of the game they're here because they're getting paid a fortune.

No difference with the owners - they're here for money as well as success.

Online ianburns252

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: January 22, 2018, 03:23:01 pm »

And I hate to break it to you, mate, but I think you might be forgetting that only 7 years ago we were almost in administration and the team was down the toilet because we had owners who ran us like idiots.

It doesn't matter how good we are on the pitch - there are a multitude of rules in place now demanding strong governance of the club which if we contravene them will undo any work on the field.

Or, try this one on for size, we run the club like a bunch of morons, completely ruin the balance sheet, have no money at all to buy players, run up against issues relating to running a business under CA06, audit standards etc. leading to a qualified audit report, loans getting called in where we have them with banks and other financiers, investors pull out and we are left with no money and potentially no club.