Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1093032 times)

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Klopp Template - Are we getting closer?
« Reply #1960 on: December 31, 2018, 02:56:41 pm »
Klopp himself mentions speaking with Mike Gordon as a big influence in this interview (about 8 minutes in) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRMVUpVYRJk

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1961 on: December 31, 2018, 02:59:17 pm »
Oh thanks Slick.  I'll definitely check out that interview

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1962 on: January 1, 2019, 04:33:34 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1963 on: January 1, 2019, 04:35:01 pm »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1964 on: January 1, 2019, 04:36:10 pm »
Better looking than Samie.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #1965 on: January 1, 2019, 04:43:57 pm »
The Klopp.dance

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsGQXVslZ5h/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=pbitbahaf6ih 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Jesus.

And to think I used to worship the man. I mean I'm 59 but at least when I cut the rug in the local Young Farmers Disco I look the part in my elasticated high waister cords and hush puppys.

'kinell. Your shirt-tail's hangin out man!  :o

Scruff.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1966 on: January 1, 2019, 04:56:51 pm »
The fact that he's dancing to Jay Z makes it even better

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #1967 on: January 1, 2019, 04:58:08 pm »
The fact that he's dancing to Jay Z makes it even better

Who?

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1968 on: January 1, 2019, 05:10:29 pm »
 ;D

Decent moves for a big man.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1969 on: January 1, 2019, 05:21:45 pm »

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1970 on: January 1, 2019, 07:54:56 pm »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1971 on: January 3, 2019, 11:19:40 am »
In the echo Klopp talked about having to find a position for Shaqiri as he is not ready to play as an 8, in the half space, defensively just yet.

Offline i6uuaq

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Hmm... what's this personal text thing, then?
« Reply #1972 on: January 3, 2019, 02:52:46 pm »
Found this on Reddit.

https://www.holdingmidfield.com/jurgen-klopps-liverpool/

Really detailed article on our tactics - counter-pressing, mid-block pressing, defending, attacking.... really comprehensive.
"I've not seen it and I'm not being Arsene Wenger," Dalglish said. "If there's something untoward then I am sure the governing body will act appropriately."

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1973 on: January 3, 2019, 03:43:29 pm »
Thought this was interesting from Klopp on Shaqiri:

"We did have to find a position for (Shaqiri). That's a pretty good one, we tried it in a 4-3-3, he can't play there yet as a half-space midfielder. You don't want to force a player into a position, you want to show his strengths, not where he isn't good. Xherdan's main quality is obviously offensive - creating, shooting, finishes, being between the lines - and in a half-space position, there is a lot of defensive work. He can do that and he gets better day by day and maybe one day, he could play it like Phil could play it in the last half year he was here."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11597280/liverpool-manager-jurgen-klopp-wants-to-enjoy-the-ride-of-premier-league-title-race

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1974 on: January 3, 2019, 03:57:18 pm »
"we tried it in a 4-3-3"

;D All that arguing on here from people saying we've never played 4 3 3

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1975 on: January 3, 2019, 04:01:59 pm »
Thought this was interesting from Klopp on Shaqiri:

"We did have to find a position for (Shaqiri). That's a pretty good one, we tried it in a 4-3-3, he can't play there yet as a half-space midfielder. You don't want to force a player into a position, you want to show his strengths, not where he isn't good. Xherdan's main quality is obviously offensive - creating, shooting, finishes, being between the lines - and in a half-space position, there is a lot of defensive work. He can do that and he gets better day by day and maybe one day, he could play it like Phil could play it in the last half year he was here."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11597280/liverpool-manager-jurgen-klopp-wants-to-enjoy-the-ride-of-premier-league-title-race

That's interesting because I thought we struggled anytime Phil played in the midfield 3. Perhaps I'm just misremembering but that Newcastle 1-1 away stands out for me. Phil scored a wonder goal but our attack seemed broken and our midfield was vacant for their goal.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1976 on: January 3, 2019, 05:48:10 pm »
"we tried it in a 4-3-3"

Couldn’t help but notice that too. If Klopp use it as a shorthand for the formation we played most of last year, it should be ok to do so on here as well, even if it isn’t a regular 4-3-3.

That's interesting because I thought we struggled anytime Phil played in the midfield 3. Perhaps I'm just misremembering but that Newcastle 1-1 away stands out for me. Phil scored a wonder goal but our attack seemed broken and our midfield was vacant for their goal.
He had some good games there, but I agree in general. He was a better player further forward under Klopp (he was excellent in Rodgers diamond formation deeper though, in the 13/14 run in).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1977 on: January 3, 2019, 05:52:32 pm »
Couldn’t help but notice that too. If Klopp use it as a shorthand for the formation we played most of last year, it should be ok to do so on here as well, even if it isn’t a regular 4-3-3.

You can argue that he was talking about this season when trying the 4-3-3, his previous comments about formations were in regards to how we played last season.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1978 on: January 3, 2019, 06:23:46 pm »
"we tried it in a 4-3-3"

Ahem -

"“We have a very strange 4-5-1 formation with Sadio as a midfielder, Bobby [Roberto Firmino] being a midfielder more or less and Mo [Salah] being a striker, even though he plays in a little different position."

from Klopp himself

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #1979 on: January 3, 2019, 06:28:03 pm »
Ahem -

"“We have a very strange 4-5-1 formation with Sadio as a midfielder, Bobby [Roberto Firmino] being a midfielder more or less and Mo [Salah] being a striker, even though he plays in a little different position."

from Klopp himself
Yes, we use the 4-5-1 at times  :)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1980 on: January 3, 2019, 06:30:32 pm »
433 really is a very strange 451 formation.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1981 on: January 3, 2019, 06:37:40 pm »
You can argue that he was talking about this season when trying the 4-3-3, his previous comments about formations were in regards to how we played last season.

Perhaps you’re right, but then again he mentions Coutinho, who of course has not been here this season. Either way, to say we’ve never played a 4-3-3 is not something Klopp seems to agree with.

And I haven’t even argued that it is a 4-3-3, but it’s the simplest way to describe the formation when we use 3 central midfielders behind Salah (still the striker, but off the right), Firmino (slightly more advanced than he’s been for most of this season, and no one directly ahead of him) and Mane on the left hand side. When Coutinho was here, a few times he was one of the midfielders, with Mane to his left, and then we also played the formation that is more similar to what we’ve used this year. When Mane was on the right, we had 2 central midfielders and Coutinho off the left with Firmino (droping deep) and Salah central.

It might be technically wrong to call the first 4-3-3 and the other 4-2-3-1 (or 4-4-1-1) but when talking about us, and when comparing the two and how we can play, I think that works. It is just a shorthand for the two, so you don’t have to write a tactical breakdown of his role every time you want to talk about our team.

For instance, we could play our 4-2-3-1 tonight, although our most recent one, with Keita in the ’halfspace’ on the left, Mane on the right and Firmino behind Salah central. But perhaps it will be the 4-3-3, with Henderson, Fabinho and Wijnaldum behind Salah, Firmino and Mane. Everyone would get the difference between the two without me having to mention every detail, right?

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1982 on: January 3, 2019, 06:46:50 pm »
Ahem -

from Klopp himself

Yep. And we also have Klopp saying we've tried 4 3 3 despite you insisting we haven't. Who to believe.  ;D

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1983 on: January 4, 2019, 07:23:41 pm »
Just to add to the pedantry, he doesn't say he used Phil in a 4-3-3 he said he was trying to get Shaq to play in the half space like Phil did.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1984 on: January 4, 2019, 07:29:47 pm »
It's a sort of Heiseberg's 4-3-3 if I'm reading things correctly - or then again, maybe it isn't.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #1985 on: January 4, 2019, 07:35:13 pm »
Question WFT is a half space ? I mean it's either a space or it's not right?

Bit like saying half a hole - no?
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1986 on: January 4, 2019, 07:36:01 pm »
Yep. And we also have Klopp saying we've tried 4 3 3 despite you insisting we haven't. Who to believe.  ;D

Nope, I said we don't really play a 4-3-3 despite that being how we are shown on TV. I have been saying everything that Klopp said that I quoted above, that Firmino is written as the #9 but plays as a #10, that Salah is written as the #7 but plays as the #9, and that Mane is written as the #11 but plays as a #8. In other words, the difference between shape and "formation".

But you'd have known that if you were an internet coach like me.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1987 on: January 4, 2019, 07:56:38 pm »
It's a sort of Heiseberg's 4-3-3 if I'm reading things correctly - or then again, maybe it isn't.

It reminds me of Castlemaine's X-X-X-X formation.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1988 on: January 4, 2019, 08:05:56 pm »
Biggest positive of last night for me is that we continue to play very good football in 4231 formation.

Think it's a big deal because as of late we're quietly starting to thrash teams regularly again, we look better balanced and our build-up play is much better compared to the shape we started the game and this season with. We could do with an easy win or two in January just to get over this tough defeat. Having 4 match winners on the pitch in theory should be too overwhelming for the likes of Brighton, Palace etc.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1989 on: January 4, 2019, 08:10:41 pm »
I don't think Naby fits into the midfield duo unless he displaces Gini, and that would be some going. Which means he's either got to be the 10 (aka Bobby spearhead, not ideal) or play on the left (where Naby is underwhelming).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1990 on: January 4, 2019, 08:13:49 pm »
I don't think Naby fits into the midfield duo unless he displaces Gini, and that would be some going. Which means he's either got to be the 10 (aka Bobby spearhead, not ideal) or play on the left (where Naby is underwhelming).

Disagree. He's not a 10. He can play there but he's not a natural 10. You could play him alongside Wijnaldum or Keita, he's perfectly capable of playing in a two he's done at Leipzig.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #1991 on: January 4, 2019, 08:31:44 pm »

He'll play alongside Fabinho in a double pivot IMO that is when he eventually gets up to speed.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline karrmadamaii

• Main Stander
  • I'm standing in the Main.
    • A Yard Ahead
« Reply #1992 on: January 4, 2019, 08:48:12 pm »
But you'd have known that if you were an internet coach like me.

Is this remark even necessary? You've made your point(s) across multiple posts and threads.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1993 on: January 4, 2019, 08:55:21 pm »
Is this remark even necessary? You've made your point(s) across multiple posts and threads.

If you were reading across multiple posts and threads, then you'd know that "internet coach" is a very specific phrase DelTrotter uses.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #1994 on: January 4, 2019, 09:57:48 pm »
Found this on Reddit.

https://www.holdingmidfield.com/jurgen-klopps-liverpool/

Really detailed article on our tactics - counter-pressing, mid-block pressing, defending, attacking.... really comprehensive.
Happy to waste half an evening on this. Absolutely fantastic.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: January 5, 2019, 12:34:09 am »
Disagree. He's not a 10. He can play there but he's not a natural 10. You could play him alongside Wijnaldum or Keita, he's perfectly capable of playing in a two he's done at Leipzig.

Don’t think Naby and Gini is a viable combo against all but the worst of teams. Klopp (correctly) likes some height and physicality in his midfield and that’s even more important in a 2. Gini and Naby could be alright in the air but only if one got on the other’s shoulders.  Gini is his direct competition, and Gini is Klopp’s favourite midfielder rn. Not that I’m panicking but Naby has got a hell of a task on his hands. Even at Leipzig, Naby played with Demme, a more defensive player like Hendo or Fab. Which is why I was looking at other positions for him, I agree that he’s not a natural 10.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1996 on: January 5, 2019, 01:53:18 am »
Don’t think Naby and Gini is a viable combo against all but the worst of teams. Klopp (correctly) likes some height and physicality in his midfield and that’s even more important in a 2. Gini and Naby could be alright in the air but only if one got on the other’s shoulders.  Gini is his direct competition, and Gini is Klopp’s favourite midfielder rn. Not that I’m panicking but Naby has got a hell of a task on his hands. Even at Leipzig, Naby played with Demme, a more defensive player like Hendo or Fab. Which is why I was looking at other positions for him, I agree that he’s not a natural 10.
We won't always play in a 2 man midfield. There is a lot of shite teams in the league. And Wijnaldum can't play in all of them. Henderson Keita, Fabinho Keita, can work full well in a two as well. But in a 3 you can play him with anyone, as hes shown that at the start of the season

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1997 on: January 5, 2019, 02:49:11 am »
The interesting development of recent games is that when Henderson and Fabinho are on the pitch together, they take it in turns to cover each other, like an old school central midfield two. Which is also how Klopp's Dortmund double pivot played as well, with one being more defensive but not restricted in going forward, and the other being more attacking but expected to defend.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1998 on: January 5, 2019, 03:47:31 am »
We won't always play in a 2 man midfield. There is a lot of shite teams in the league. And Wijnaldum can't play in all of them. Henderson Keita, Fabinho Keita, can work full well in a two as well. But in a 3 you can play him with anyone, as hes shown that at the start of the season

Seems fairly obvious that 4231 is our preferred/best formation, and one we’re more likely to play against the dross

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1999 on: January 5, 2019, 04:20:48 am »
Question WFT is a half space ? I mean it's either a space or it's not right?

Bit like saying half a hole - no?

Every hyperplane divides a space (eg n-dimensional, Euclidean space etc) in half defining two closed half-spaces. Thus, a half-space is a portion of the space obtained by removing the part on one side of the hyperplane. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.