Author Topic: 2018 in Music  (Read 128343 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2018 in Music
« Reply #1320 on: November 5, 2018, 05:57:40 pm »
I said earlier in the year I wasn’t really feeling FJM’s ‘Gods Favorite Customer’ but after seeing him live last week I can’t stop playing it, love it.

Weird how that works.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1321 on: November 6, 2018, 11:15:34 pm »
The Julia Holter album was exactly what I needed. Absolutely beautiful cacophony.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #1322 on: November 7, 2018, 10:10:02 am »
The Julia Holter album was exactly what I needed. Absolutely beautiful cacophony.

Struggling to get into it, if I'm honest. Love her last two albums, too :(

Yves Tumor's Safe in the Hands of Love on the other hand... this is off the charts. Think you might like this, Fraser. Electronic, pop, R&B and noise. Got an AR Kane vibe about it, too. He's playing 24 Kitchen Street at the end of the month. Will be interesting how this translates live.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1323 on: November 7, 2018, 10:15:06 am »

Came along at the right moment for me too. Really love it.   

Can understand anyone struggling to get into it too - it's pretty dense. 

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #1324 on: November 7, 2018, 11:23:28 am »
Came along at the right moment for me too. Really love it.   

Can understand anyone struggling to get into it too - it's pretty dense. 

Single is good and accessible...typical woman...lure you in with sweet promise then nail you with their dark womenlly ways

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1325 on: November 7, 2018, 12:54:59 pm »
Single is good and accessible...typical woman...lure you in with sweet promise then nail you with their dark womenlly ways
Haha, that sounds about right

I don't know why it crossed my mind but I did think there is no way a man could make a record like this, you just can't hear a man's voice in there. Good!

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1326 on: November 7, 2018, 01:57:10 pm »
Went to see Low perform last night, intense and yet delicate. Great band.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1327 on: November 7, 2018, 05:19:16 pm »
I'll have to check out the dance thread too then. Mostly, I'm just trying to expand my musical palette and stray from the post-punk type stuff I've been listening to for the best part of a decade now. Dance music is one of many things I'm trying to sample at the moment. It's been good fun trying to discover new stuff actually. It's also made me realise how much Spotify tends to pigeon-hole you into a niche.

Check out an artist called French Kiwi Juice. His debut album dropped last year and it’s fantastic electronic/jazz infused pop.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1328 on: November 7, 2018, 11:31:39 pm »
Check out an artist called French Kiwi Juice. His debut album dropped last year and it’s fantastic electronic/jazz infused pop.

I'll check him out just for the name. It's fabulous.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1329 on: November 8, 2018, 05:16:14 pm »
I said earlier in the year I wasn’t really feeling FJM’s ‘Gods Favorite Customer’ but after seeing him live last week I can’t stop playing it, love it.

Weird how that works.

Funny, often when I see someone touring 'their latest' it has (sort of) the opposite effect - not so much dissuading me from returning to the record, but more so it feels like the closing of a book and I'll take a few months off.

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #1330 on: November 8, 2018, 09:15:30 pm »
Anybody enjoying the new Fucked Up album? Normal People and Talking Pictures are probably my two favourite songs of the year. Album meanders from War on Drugs guitar tones to industrial rave whilst being kept together by the lead singers distinctive harsh screaming. 
Ye wha la.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #1331 on: November 10, 2018, 07:29:40 am »
Anybody enjoying the new Fucked Up album? Normal People and Talking Pictures are probably my two favourite songs of the year. Album meanders from War on Drugs guitar tones to industrial rave whilst being kept together by the lead singers distinctive harsh screaming.

Brilliant band. Always thought they could do with a better singer. And I get that he`s a screamer. There are some very good screamers(who can also sing), but I don`t think he`s a very good screamer.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1332 on: November 11, 2018, 03:14:53 pm »
Sade just released a new tune.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1333 on: November 11, 2018, 03:19:44 pm »
Saw Parquet Courts last night.

Incredible.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1334 on: November 11, 2018, 09:10:38 pm »
Sade just released a new tune.

Bugger!!..Got excited then , read it as Slade.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1335 on: November 11, 2018, 09:36:47 pm »
Bugger!!..Got excited then , read it as Slade.

;D

I can't think of Slade without thinking of this...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qp3wAK3uzjM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qp3wAK3uzjM</a>

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1336 on: November 12, 2018, 11:09:08 am »
Saw Parquet Courts last night.

Incredible.
seeing them tonight. hyped!
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1337 on: November 24, 2018, 08:54:15 am »
Seeing Tropical Fuck Storm and King Gizzard tonight. One hell of a double bill.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1338 on: November 24, 2018, 09:59:57 am »

Thats a good one. Been meaning to listen to TFS a bit more.

Current listening: North Americans - Going Steady. Nice instrumental drone/acoustic stuff. Like I'd make in my bedroom if I could be bothered, or had actual ability at composition ;D

Also had on
Hen Ogledd - Mogic
Beast - Ens
Meg Baird & Mary Lattimore - Ghost Forests

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1339 on: November 24, 2018, 01:46:43 pm »
I've forgotten to give the Dean Wareham/Cheval Sombre LP a mention in here.  Great cover of 'Mountains of the Moon' for any Deadheads out there (can't be the only one on here, can I?)

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1340 on: November 24, 2018, 02:45:16 pm »

That should be a lot of fun.

I have a double bill of The Courtneys and Cloud Nothings coming up on Tuesday night.
---Rilke

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1341 on: November 24, 2018, 07:47:03 pm »

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Never heard of TFS (Fucking great name, need to listen now  ;D) - but enjoy King Gizzard, incredible band.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1342 on: November 25, 2018, 04:56:29 am »
Both bands were absolutely fantastic in very different ways. TFS are visceral and angsty, and my mate and I both came out of it with a massive crush on the guitarist. The sound and the look of the band is grungy and sinister but still fun. King Gizz are totally different in that they're so much more chilled out and just jam out. They're a super tight act as well and rolled back the days with a couple of their really old songs, which are much more hook-laden and poppy. Muckraker was a favourite garage tune of mine like 5/6 years ago and since then King Gizz have become a lot more experimental and sound more mature. Great fun both.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1343 on: November 27, 2018, 01:26:16 am »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #1344 on: November 27, 2018, 03:03:15 pm »

Saw this one earlier today. That statement is metal as f*ck!! :wellin

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #1345 on: November 29, 2018, 12:42:12 pm »
Getting into a second wave of Little Dark Age by MGMT. It's a fine album. Weirdly uncool sound - is there anything sounding more out of place in 2018 than Electric Light Orchestra circa Time - especially considering how present and slightly progressive their sound was for their debut. I guess they don't care which is great.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1346 on: November 29, 2018, 01:24:19 pm »
The 1975’s new album is getting rave reviews across the board.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1347 on: November 29, 2018, 07:06:51 pm »
The 1975’s new album is getting rave reviews across the board.

The singles announcing it were a bit hit and miss for me, but looking forward to listening to it tomorrow.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1348 on: November 30, 2018, 04:37:35 pm »

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1349 on: November 30, 2018, 07:46:14 pm »
The singles announcing it were a bit hit and miss for me, but looking forward to listening to it tomorrow.

It's actually quite good, really well put together and cohesive, a lot more than their previous records. Strong contender for album of the year for me.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1350 on: November 30, 2018, 10:09:19 pm »
Julia Jacklin releases her second LP, Crushing, in February (a follow up to 2016's fantastic Don't Let the Kids Win) - a couple of tracks have been released to promote this...

Spoiler
Body

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ktvJ2PiBgtQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ktvJ2PiBgtQ</a>

Head Alone

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0Z3IJT3Ke0Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0Z3IJT3Ke0Y</a>
[close]

Conor Oberst has also returned to the studio, following the 2016/17 'double' of stripped-back Ruminations and Salutations

Spoiler
No One Changes

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8FnmP_1vABE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8FnmP_1vABE</a>

The Rockaways

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yv1O767nfHE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yv1O767nfHE</a>
[close]

Like Jacklin, Sharon Van Etten also has a new record out early next year - Remind Me Tomorrow sounds like a significant departure from the sound of 2014's Are We There

Spoiler
Comeback Kid

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/h4mewwymxbI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/h4mewwymxbI</a>

Jupiter 4

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/W4etGf2PJcA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/W4etGf2PJcA</a>
[close]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:37:34 pm by jackh »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1351 on: December 1, 2018, 07:21:01 am »
Good stuff Jack, appreciate that. I'll be on SvE and Julia Jacklin...also curious about new Doves.

Getting into a second wave of Little Dark Age by MGMT. It's a fine album. Weirdly uncool sound - is there anything sounding more out of place in 2018 than Electric Light Orchestra circa Time - especially considering how present and slightly progressive their sound was for their debut. I guess they don't care which is great.

I might give that another try. I feel like I haven't 'got' MGMT yet apart from the obvious old singles but there must be something in there as Sonic Boom loves them.

The Foxwarren album is 'available', Andy Shauf's new band.

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/latest-news/andy-shauf-foxwarren-announce-debut-album-with-lead-track-everything-apart

Also had Super Furry Animals at the BBC on a few times - beautiful Peel Session version of Some Things Come From Nothing which is a favourite of mine.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1352 on: December 3, 2018, 07:06:15 pm »
I'm currently digging the Khruangbin Lp ' Con To do El Mundo'...like a late night jam session, laid back but hints of middle eastern vibe at times. Very cool.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1353 on: December 3, 2018, 10:16:40 pm »
Sad news about Scott Hutchison the lead singer of Frightened Rabbit. Went missing on Wednesday and now police have found a body.

Many of you will remember this sad news from earlier in the year.

Must have meant the world to Grant (Scott's brother, and the band's drummer) when this link arrived in the band's inbox.  Beautiful.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Sk62iuBypgY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Sk62iuBypgY</a>

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1354 on: December 4, 2018, 07:26:19 pm »
Becoming obsessed with the Sons of Kemet album over the last few days. As much as I'd like to guard against recency bias, I think it's going to feature very highly in my end of year list.
---Rilke

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1355 on: December 4, 2018, 08:11:58 pm »
Becoming obsessed with the Sons of Kemet album over the last few days. As much as I'd like to guard against recency bias, I think it's going to feature very highly in my end of year list.

It's magnificent. Stuck on it for months now. Keeps on giving.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1356 on: December 4, 2018, 11:50:14 pm »
First Oh Sees tour to Australia since 2016 and they're not playing my city. Fucking annoyed to be honest.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1357 on: December 6, 2018, 10:46:01 am »
I am not usually a huge fan of Kurt Vile but am thoroughly enjoying his latest album. One Trick Ponies is a song that just sticks in your head, doesn't it?
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1358 on: December 8, 2018, 03:27:05 pm »
Really need to give this a proper listen after so many people on here having been raving about it. The bits I've youtubed sound ace. Would be nice to see some sort of jazzy funky eclectic thing as RAWK AOTY.

Working my way through the Quietus list at the minute. Really like that Idriss Ackamoor album.

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #1359 on: December 10, 2018, 11:45:38 am »
My list of best albums just revised by hearing Daniel Knox's Chasescene. The darkest set of songs I have heard in a very long time with Jarvis Cocker singing on one track, Capitol. Musical, unsettling lyrically - excellent