Author Topic: Liverpool vs Leicester City, Anfield, 30th December 2017 at 3.00pm Pre Match  (Read 28843 times)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
The start of 3 games in 7 days brings about a match against a Leicester City side who, in recent matches, have dropped off a little after a strong start under Claude Puel.

Defeats at home to Palace and away to Watford with 2 draws against Man City and Man Utd (thank you Harry Maguire) sandwiched in between, means their last victory was 5 games ago at Southampton, where they won 4-1. Prior to that, they had won 4 in a row, including a deserved  victory against Tottenham. With Gray, Vardy and Mahrez (who seems to have found his form again) in their side, they’re still able to cause any team in the league problems and they’ll likely be happy to sit deep and use their talented attacking triumvirate to hit us on the break.

We’ve fared better in terms of recent results, although we’ve drawn a few too many which have swung between the frustrating (West Brom) to the farcical (Arsenal) to the fucking annoying (Everton). Still, despite the criticism the team has gotten for those, we’ve generally played pretty well since the defeat at Tottenham and are coming off a 5-0 victory against Swansea, which ultimately turned out to be pretty comfortable. So we should be going into this with confidence.

With both teams having another game in 48 hours and for us, Everton on the Friday after, Klopp and Puel will both likely make changes for this game and so it’s difficult to be certain about which of our players will start. Solanke had a neat cameo against Swansea and could be in the frame, Mane’s had a bit of a rest and will be desperate to force his way back into the side and with Henderson out, does Gruijic have a possibility of starting or is that unlikely?

Also, Lallana’s back! It was great to see him come on on Tuesday, it was like he was never away. And in particular, he’s the type of player we could do with in games like this, where we’ll likely have most of the ball and will be facing a team happy to sit deep and deny us any space in their half. That extra little of touch of magic might be what we’ve been missing in these types of games.

Basically, what I’m trying to say is it’s going to be another fine 5-0 victory coming up, with Solanke grabbing his first goal for us, Alexander-Arnold bettering his stunner in the week, Mane getting back to last season’s form and Van Dijk looking on and being worried about how he’s going to get into a side so defensively awesome.

:wave
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Magic, cheers for stepping in :wave

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We can quite easily get another 5-0 here, hopefully its settled as soon as possible so that we can slow down earlier and maybe take some of our attacking players off.

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I’d go with:

Van Dijk

Van Dijk          Van Dijk        Van Dijk        Van Dijk

Van Dijk        Van Dijk

Coutinho

Salah                        Firmino                    Mane

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
2 games in 48 hours, there will be some clever squad rotating needed for this one!

With all the lock-pickers needed to play against the Burnley Bus, I wouldn't be surprised to see Coutinho start on the bench for the Leicester game too, maybe Bobby or Mo as well.

Hendo being out is a big miss, cos now we have 2 games in quck succession, but only one 'number 6' available in Emre Can, but I wouldn't be surprised if James Milner starts vs Leicester and plays a deeper role.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We can quite easily get another 5-0 here, hopefully its settled as soon as possible so that we can slow down earlier and maybe take some of our attacking players off.

Leicester are a lot better than Swansea, and far more dangerous in attack.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Leicester are a lot better than Swansea, and far more dangerous in attack.

Sure, i'm just saying that we have the ability to do that to teams. I'll be happy with any win (or draw, for that matter).

Online Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
We've never managed to beat a team managed by Claude Puel. Lyon and Southampton.
I don't think these will be wide open like Swansea. Might need to be patient, but still confident.
With Salah and Firmino taken off early on Tuesday I expect them both to start.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We've never managed to beat a team managed by Claude Puel. Lyon and Southampton.

To be fair, half the results were draws and even the wins were only by a single goal - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/claude-puel/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/1240/gegner_id/31. Besides, there's a first time for everything.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
Be a tougher game this obviously. I still expect us to win by the odd goal. I do think they will score though. I’ll go 3-1 to us. Leicester will be happy to try and soak it all up and try to hit us on the counter.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline nellpatel

• Main Stander
I think he will go relatively strong for this, with several changes then for Burnley:

Mignolet
Trent--Matip--Klavan--Robertson
Wijnaldum--Can/Milner--Ox
Salah--Firmino--Coutinho

Then for Burnley:
Karius
Gomez--Lovren--Matip--Milner
Lallana--Grujic/Can--Ox
Mane--Solanke/Sturridge--Coutinho

I don't care how we get them, just get 6 points please!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:29:05 pm by nellpatel »
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Vardy will score he always does, we need to be aware or his cuntish diving antics. Mahrez is also in form, so they will be dangerous on the counter

I have no idea what to expect line up wise, with us playing on the first as well. Just get the 3 points

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
Feels like there's always goals recently when we play Leicester, and can see us hopefully keeping that up. Vardy has a decent record against us so that's the obvious one to make sure we stop but as the OP said, Mahrez and Gray are in good form and Okazaki can be a handful.

Expecting something along the lines of:

Karius; Gomez, Matip, Lovren, Robertson; Can, Wijnaldum, Chamberlain; Coutinho, Firmino, Salah.

Mig, Trent, Klavan, Milner, Lallana, Mane, Solanke.

I'd rather we go strong for this and make a few changes vs Burnley, with most of the bench for the Leicester game starting the next one.

Would be ideal if we can take a couple from Salah, Coutinho, Firmino or Can off early but I don't think it'll be an easy game so we will have to be at our best to have put them to bed early.

I still think it's nuts having to play twice with just one days gap, even with our pretty deep squad it seems harsh, feel sorry for teams that haven't really got that many options to bring in.

Offline niallers

• Anny Roader
  • "dont worry marge,its only a quilt....MY COOKIE!"
A poor enough Watford team beat them. Leicester have had the same amount of games as us lately and can't rotate with the same quality as we can. Any team we put out should have enough to beat them.
in america 1st you get the sugar then you get the power then you get the women

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We owe Puel an absolute beatdown after all the clean sheets his Southampton side kept against us last season.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
Always confident these days especially at home. Some rotation needed between this one and Burnley like you all say. Which of the forward line play which game and for how long is one of the biggest questions for me. I hope we get a multi-goal cushion in both games early on.

Also interesting is how Lovren reacts to VVD news. I am guessing he has known about it for a long while, but it's him who loses out the most when the games thin out a bit and we can afford to play a regular backline (which you would think has Matip and VVD at its heart). I recall Lovren snapping at or walking away from interviewers who asked him about VVD in the summer. Contrast this with Klavan who seems more content and understanding of his role. Don't get me wrong - I expect a professional performance from everyone - but it's surely something of a dynamic on Dejan's mindset.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Two games in 48 hours is a scandal. Hope the games are as appalling as they were last season. The only way it changes is if the 'brand' is hit, which it is with the extra shit standard of football caused by fatigue or b team games.

What a pleasure it is to not have to worry about replacing quality with quality when rotating, and to be able to improve on last year's mistake at Sunderland.

Hopefully we show the same patience we did against Swansea, and ideally allow ourselves a pleasant last half hour of subs as we did on boxing day

Offline ManiacKop

• Smited by a Mighty Smiter.
  • Anny Roader
  • Here’s to swimming with Darwin's evolved fishes...
For me, I’d play strongest team against these.

Migs
TAA
Robertson
Ragnar
Lovren

Can
Coutinho
Ox

Salah
Firmino
Mane
Not the best walking advert for Intelligent Design.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Is Ndidi suspended? Would be helpful if they have less energy in midfield. Might allow us to give Lallana his first 60 mins since returning.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
If there was a longer break between this I’d expect another ass kicking courtesy of Jurgens boys

Expecting a few changes but it’s not surprising. The only good thing about this game is that it’s at home again

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Nice little write up there for the op...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
Mignolet in goal. He's still the boss' #1 choice. (Although I do think Karius will get 1 or 2 more league games before the next CL game. Which one(s) is anyone's guess).

Matip-Lovren at centerback. Klavan has played 100% of available minutes in the 6 previous games. Lovren got a rest vs Swansea and Matip is just back from injury.

Gomez and Robertson at fullback. Gomez got a rest vs Swansea and Robertson was subbed and has also not played that much earlier in the season. Small chance of Milner at leftback.

Can and Wijnaldum in the center of the midfield. Henderson is out. Small chance of Milner in for Gini.

The front 4 is tricky to predict. Firmino, Salah and Coutinho have all started each of our 4 previous games, but Klopp has also rotated these players less than others. Particularly Salah. I think we might see 2 out of the 4 start together with Ox and Mane. Probably Salah and Firmino.

So my guess would be;

------------Mignolet-----------------
--Gomez--Matip--Lovren--Robbie--   (Possibly Milner in for Robbie)
----------Can----Wijnaldum---------   (Possibly Milner in for Gini)
---------------Ox---------------------   (Possibly Coutinho here and Ox in for Salah)
--------------Firmino-------Mane----
--Salah-------------------------------

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
These are doing better than last season and they've recently played like typical Leicester, circa 2015/2016- in their shells, but deadly on the counter with Mahrez and Vardy waiting to pounce.
We need to score early and continue our good defensive record against the less fancied teams.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:31:45 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I’d go with:

Van Dijk

Van Dijk          Van Dijk        Van Dijk        Van Dijk

Van Dijk        Van Dijk

Coutinho

Salah                        Firmino                    Mane

So Van Dijk can't play upfront according to you. There's so much negativity among the fan base.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Joking aside Leicester can be a dangerous side if they turn up.Mahrez is on song. Looking for a transfer I reckon. Vardy is a pest. Ndidi owned our midfield last year and he's a serious prospect IMO.
That said let's twat these title winning manager back stabbing knife chinned six fingered no marks.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
Leicester and then Burnley, two sides that are known to fight well against top teams, we need to be awake from the very first minute.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Taking my better half to her first game for this one. Got a good feeling! 3-0.

Team selection’s going through be interesting.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
They're winless in 3 and have lost two of those, and United should have been 3 or 4-1 up before Leicester pegged them back in the final seconds. Some of their players are on good form but they're nowhere near the 2015/16 levels they showed as some people on here would like to believe. They are dangerous going forward and particularly on the counter attack (plus Albrighton is probably one of the best crossers of a ball in the league) so I'm not really sure we'll keep them out, but they're poor defensively so no reason why we shouldn't score a few as well.

I'll go for a 3-1 win.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Puel seems to have the measure of us, so expect a difficult game.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
Full strength and then rotate for Burnley, reckon this could be a really tricky one.

Puel seems to have our number, can see a score draw.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Any win will do. They have pace on the counter still, so we have to be cautious.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Referee: Neil Swarbrick
Assistants: S Ledger, A Garratt
Fourth official: Lee Mason
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
We will thump them at Anfield. 4-2 to the REDS!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
just keep an eye on Okazaki..

no realy we should be beating these, i take 1:0

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Looking forward to being at this one. Read that Puel has them playing higher up the pitch than earlier in the season, hope he sticks with that as it will suit our pace. They looked dodgy defensively against Utd and will be short of a right back as Simpson injured and Amartey got sent off. Should be good for Mane and hope he scores a couple.
Will we see Milner in CM for this? I expect so. Would not be surprised if Solanke starts with Bobby on the bench. Probably Alex instead of Phil too?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
Would like to see Robertson and Solanke start this one. Leicester have conceded a few in the air and it's an option i'd like to see us try against the bus-parkers. I'd go with:

---------------Karius

TAA---Matip------Lovren---Robertson

--------------Can

-------Gini----------Lallana

Mane------Solanke-----Ox

Then against Burnley:

---------------Migs

Gomez---Matip---Klavan---Milner (or Lovren at CB depending who's least knackered)

--------------Can           (if not too knackered, not sure on alternatives here though)

-------Gini----------Ox        (maybe Coutinho deeper and Mane on, as Mane should still be quite fresh)

Salah------Firmino---Coutinho

Assuming Hendo remains unavailable.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Two games in 48 hours is a scandal. Hope the games are as appalling as they were last season. The only way it changes is if the 'brand' is hit, which it is with the extra shit standard of football caused by fatigue or b team games.

So you want to see a really shit game in order to teach 'the man' a lesson?....utter cobblers...best 2 weeks of the season ..bring it on...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A poor enough Watford team beat them. Leicester have had the same amount of games as us lately and can't rotate with the same quality as we can. Any team we put out should have enough to beat them.
They've got us, then Huddersfield at home also 48 hours later, Fleetwood away in the cup and then Chelsea away.

I'd like to think they'd be targeting the Huddersfield game to pick up points in the league.

No idea who Klopp will play*, but possibly he might go with Firmino away at Burnley, so maybe a Solanke/Sturridge start?

*Also not overly bothered. It will be a team that ought to win regardless.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
Puels lot will make this tough. Expect a 2-1 not gonna be pretty but we will edge it.

Onto the overgrown Wotsits Burnley - we'll have about 95% posession but will find them an even tougher nut to crack.

A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
I think Salah will play. If memory serves (and it is serving me less and less often !) he was substituted pretty early against Swansea and that seems to suggest he will play against Leicester. Coutinho played on quite a lot longer and has been playing brilliantly. I wonder whether the plan will be to start him or will he be the man the sit this one out ? So hard to tell nowadays with the rotation and number of fixtures.

This will be a difficult game. Leicester are really good on the break. Their central defence in particular is vulnerable but I can see most of the game being played in that final third and their lack of pace will be less of a problem for them.

I think this will be a lot tighter than the Swansea game and will be one of those games where we will have to be really solid at the back as i don`t see us scoring 4+ goals again.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019