Author Topic: A must see video about the Lootbox and it's origins. (by Skill Up, YouTube)  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
It's an advert, true, but it's for a free video about a relevant and disturbing trend in videogames.
Of all the video's I've seen on the topic, and there are lots of them out there, this one is the most unbiased and intelligent.
A real journalistic video, enjoy:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PTLFNlu2N_M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PTLFNlu2N_M</a>

Like this on YouTube if you are as impressed by it as I was.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
Excellent video, think most on here knew it started with FUT anyway but still, everyone should watch this.

‘Good strong IP’s are the lifeline of this industry’ I mean how have EA not looked at Nintendo on this one? Developed only Titanfall in recent years they’re an embarrassment.

Also the ‘Wall Street Financial Analyst’ who said paying $20/month to play Battlefromt II would represent good value for money  ;D

Can’t express it enough but people who don’t enjoy FIFA anymore need to stop buying it. It’s stagnated for years, with no drive to push forward the engine/gameplay because FUT is the true money maker.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah, it's a fair enough video, but nothing really new as far as my knowledge on the whole thing goes. I've always said most of this shite can be traced back to FUT, but I disagree with his assessment on Overwatch, and he hasn't went into much detail on where microtransactions really became lucrative in the first place, and where most, including Blizzard, copied the blueprint off of: the mobile market. He says as an example that everyone would be copying games like The Witcher 3 if it came down to stuff being popular. Not true. The Witcher 3 might be a popular game, but it's not Call of Duty or Fifa popular. It can't be exploited in the same way an online competitive environment designed for and played by kids. Yeah, they're adult themed games, but don't let that fool anyone. The likes of Overwatch's loot box system is still as insidious, due to its popularity, because it tests the waters and paves the way for them to be introduced in other games to come. They slowly ease these things in, and you only just have to look at another of Activision's recent releases, COD WW2, and you'll find similar shit, but in a slightly different flavour that you have to pay for. First you make it popular, then you profit.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A must see video about the Lootbox and it's origins. (by Skill Up, YouTube)
« Reply #3 on: December 1, 2017, 11:15:01 pm »
Loot boxes galore in EA’s UFC 3 coming out in Feb 2018.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Yep. Loot boxes. In a fighting game. A fighting game, EA!

Yeah.

This is where we're at.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
having a lootbox determine how hard you hit by pressing the square button

that's some next level pay to win shit right there
STFU and agree with me.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
It's a disturbing trend and it makes my blood boil.  It's going to become the norm soon and there's nothing we can do about it. Reasonable adults will probably reject this bullshit, the problem is the kids and teens who will buy these shit loot boxes with their parents' money. I read somewhere that Activision made $3,6 billion from micro transactions  in 2016 alone. It's sickening.

It's absurd! You use real currency to buy fantasy currency to buy something that should be included in a game that costs £60 plus.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
I thought this topic would get more attention because it represents a huge problem.

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
People need to stop using them. I've not spent a penny of any form of loot boxes because this was the obvious result of them becoming popular. I have been avoiding games that use it as part of the main game (like star wars battlefront 2)

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
People need to stop using them. I've not spent a penny of any form of loot boxes because this was the obvious result of them becoming popular. I have been avoiding games that use it as part of the main game (like star wars battlefront 2)

I have also avoided any games that use these, but it won't stop the tide.

I thought this topic would get more attention because it represents a huge problem.

It's been discussed in various other games threads I think.

A truly despicable practice but it has become accepted fairly quickly.

Just another way for huge corporations to bleed us dry really. Same in every industry.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.