Author Topic: Leicester City Vs Liverpool Pre-Match Saturday 23rd September 17:30  (Read 54503 times)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Re: Leicester City Vs Liverpool Pre-Match Saturday 23rd September 17:30
« Reply #440 on: September 22, 2017, 10:01:55 am »
A 1-1 draw with us wasting a shitload of chances.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #441 on: September 22, 2017, 10:12:50 am »
Jeez, this thread! And the ones complaining about a lack of respect for someone are the ones who have spent the summer spamming every single thread with "bedwetter" "shit the bed" "you absolutely hate Klopp you shit supporter". Brilliant!

Anyway, no idea what to make of this game, they are a bit of a style nightmare for us with a nippy striker and some massive lads from set pieces. Never gonna happen but I'd have Phil, Can and Woodburn as our midfield, arsed if its lightweight, we'd murder them. Got to fancy Salah to score and us to give away at least one dumb goal other than that I just dont know, we are much better than them but then we are much better than Burnley and Watford too!

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: September 22, 2017, 10:16:39 am »
Jeez, this thread! And the ones complaining about a lack of respect for someone are the ones who have spent the summer spamming every single thread with "bedwetter" "shit the bed" "you absolutely hate Klopp you shit supporter". Brilliant!

Anyway, no idea what to make of this game, they are a bit of a style nightmare for us with a nippy striker and some massive lads from set pieces. Never gonna happen but I'd have Phil, Can and Woodburn as our midfield, arsed if its lightweight, we'd murder them. Got to fancy Salah to score and us to give away at least one dumb goal other than that I just dont know, we are much better than them but then we are much better than Burnley and Watford too!
Some big doubt that Vardy will be fit for this. Hasn't trained all week

Offline Koplad83

• Main Stander
« Reply #443 on: September 22, 2017, 10:16:50 am »
Aye, would be nice to see decent posters remain on RAWK to bring the level of posting up from the shite you've just quoted there, rather than them getting hounded out like has happened plenty in the past.

If you don't like Babu's posts then put him on your ignore list rather than fucking complaining. I'm sure even the thickest of you lot complaining can figure out how to do that.

There's an ignore list?! Nice one how do I do that?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #444 on: September 22, 2017, 10:17:11 am »

I expect mostly to gobshites posting utter drivel rather than someone who took the time to write a well thought out post.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: September 22, 2017, 10:17:45 am »
Some big doubt that Vardy will be fit for this. Hasn't trained all week

Would be nice if he was out, though we made Okazaki look like Messi but hopefully he's dumb enough to start the two big lads again which helped us completely pen them in first half.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #446 on: September 22, 2017, 10:18:38 am »
There's an ignore list?! Nice one how do I do that?

Click on profile under the logo above, then Modify Profile, and the option for the ignore list is there.

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #447 on: September 22, 2017, 10:26:50 am »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-flying-city-united-13657178

Some good words from the boss here talking about why he's not panicking and why he doesn't think we should be. Also some words about the state of the gasping croud (my words not his)  but worth reading into a  bit.

Offline nellyp

• hant. All Hail the old new Baldrick!!!
  • Anny Roader
  • Life's not black and white, it's red and white
« Reply #448 on: September 22, 2017, 10:30:24 am »
Not too upset about the midweek result. I want us to win everything, but for me getting top four is the priority. I think this game is a nightmare for our defence now, so they need a lot of work going on in front of them. I would bring Milner in at right back  or in the mid and Robinson at LB and drop Can. The guy just seems to have become annoying for me in defensive mode. Phil is in and I would also have Solanke back in; even if off the bench.

2-0 to us if we can get any kind of defensive display. After all we should score goals and they didn't get many chances against us last time
In a world of uncertainty and worry, it is calming to know that as a fan of the greatest club in the world I will never walk alone

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: September 22, 2017, 10:30:49 am »
Would be nice if he was out, though we made Okazaki look like Messi but hopefully he's dumb enough to start the two big lads again which helped us completely pen them in first half.
Agree, our defence seem to struggle in particular against intense strikers like vardy, Okazaki would be easier in my opinion. I have forgotten last Tuesday :-)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #450 on: September 22, 2017, 10:39:00 am »
Vardy being out really would be a massive boost we'd have to capitalise on. Okazaki is important in terms of linking their midfield to the attack, but despite his goal on Tuesday, I'd far rather he be linking it to Slimani than Vardy.

Klavan and Gomez are an awful pairing for a side that wants to finish in the top 4 let alone win the league.

I'd say it'd be a bad pairing for mid-table sides, in all honesty.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: September 22, 2017, 10:41:00 am »
We've dominated the last 3 games without getting the goals our domination deserved. At some point soon that will change.

It will be fun to watch!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: September 22, 2017, 10:43:54 am »
We complain about Lovren's injuries - but it seems like Matip is always picking up a knock or niggle as well.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: September 22, 2017, 10:46:53 am »
We've dominated the last 3 games without getting the goals our domination deserved. At some point soon that will change.

It will be fun to watch!
we haven't scored the goals, but we have conceded the goals we deserve and that isn't a problem that is likely to change unless klopp makes some tactically decisions similar to the ones he made last year when we stopped banging in the goals therefore he tightened the whole team up.

Either way he needs to be proactive, we can't keep doing the same again and again, would be madness.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #454 on: September 22, 2017, 10:54:20 am »
we haven't scored the goals, but we have conceded the goals we deserve and that isn't a problem that is likely to change unless klopp makes some tactically decisions similar to the ones he made last year when we stopped banging in the goals therefore he tightened the whole team up.

Either way he needs to be proactive, we can't keep doing the same again and again, would be madness.

We haven't conceded the goals we deserve as it goes. We're going through a pretty unpleasant period of teams taking every single chance against us.
We haven't defended well in an individual sense at all but ... you know .... get back to me next time Sulimani top corners one from 22 yards with his weaker foot ....

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: September 22, 2017, 11:00:45 am »
We haven't conceded the goals we deserve as it goes. We're going through a pretty unpleasant period of teams taking every single chance against us.
We haven't defended well in an individual sense at all but ... you know .... get back to me next time Sulimani top corners one from 22 yards with his weaker foot ....
we have been conceding these types of goals for years though mate. It's not an all of sudden thing, it's frankly because we defend crap therefore deserve it.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: September 22, 2017, 11:02:25 am »
3-2 wasn`t it, remember getting my first scarf  and liver bird badge at that game

No mate we got beat 1-2 by them on 31-Jan-1981.  Jock Wallace was their manager back then

Our goal was an OG too.

Not the best of first games to go to but 4 months later we were lifting the European cup again :)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: September 22, 2017, 11:18:41 am »
My second ever game saw us lose 2-1 to them on Boding Day 1984 I think. Twats.

Whatever happened to Boding Day? 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #458 on: September 22, 2017, 11:20:16 am »
Whatever happened to Boding Day? 

Ha, went the same way as Dabi Alonso I think.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #459 on: September 22, 2017, 11:21:40 am »
Feels like the whole site is just one guy.
This is a free site where levels of contribution are down to the individual poster as long as they post within the limits of the rules.

If you do not enjoy the contributions of a particular poster you have the option to ignore them.

How about you try and be a part of your own solution, rather than just fucking moaning for the sake of it.

Cheers Jon.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:15:02 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #460 on: September 22, 2017, 11:35:46 am »
I look at that and think, how did we not win?!?

As you pointed out, Solanke is interesting. Very little involved, so either he wasn't up for it, or our players around him didn't trust him.

Anyway.  We'll play a different team tomorrow, and then we'll wonder why we got kicked out of the cup.
Yeah pretty much my thoughts. The 3-1 defeat, that I can eat. We were shite. Didn't create a decent chance. They created several.

That 2-0 though, we dominated, created the better chances, created the most chances. Just didn't put them away and let them have 1 at the other end, which soon become too because why not :D

If you look at our pass maps for both games it's interesting. They are almost identical in terms of Solake & Firmino. The positive on this is he seems to be playing as Firmino's understudy in terms of movement which will help us as a side. My worry has always been that if we had a #9 type targetman, he would be taking up positions that Mane & Salah tend to run into.

As for this particular game - service seems to be the problem once more. It looks like only Coutinho & Grujic found a way to get the ball to him at all in the game. Robertson, Chamberlain, Flanagan couldn't find him with crosses or passes inside when he moved into half spaces. Gini & Hendo couldn't find him from deep.

On the 3-1 - the problem for me with that is Lallana. He makes our team tick and Leicester managed to take him out of the game completely. He is the guy that moves around in spaces between the lines, receives, turns, and gets at sides defence and disrupts their shape. In that game there was no service to him at all pretty much. Which means he either didn't do a good job desmarking, or Emre & Gini did a poor job picking him out, or both. I suspect Ndidi was just sitting on him all game.

I tend to erase poor performances from memory with mind rubbers as soon as I can so I can't remember where it went wrong.

We are due a win though. You cannot keep outperforming sides and not get results. The mother maths get angry about it. Just as last season Zlatan was getting his shots in and not scoring - eventually the mother maths stopped trolling him and gave him a bucketload at once.

So we'll score off every shot Saturday to even everything out. :D
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #461 on: September 22, 2017, 11:37:20 am »
Click on profile under the logo above, then Modify Profile, and the option for the ignore list is there.

Type in CraigDS (aka Harley Ian) soon after and you're gold.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #462 on: September 22, 2017, 11:37:55 am »
Type in CraigDS (aka Harley Ian) soon after and you're gold.

Yet you managed to see my post to reply to me  ;D

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #463 on: September 22, 2017, 11:40:04 am »
Yet you managed to see my post to reply to me  ;D

You know me I would never ignore you. Something something decent posters something something bringing the level of posting up = Craig.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #464 on: September 22, 2017, 11:50:07 am »
Klavan and Gomez are an awful pairing for a side that wants to finish in the top 4 let alone win the league.

We should have bought a centre back in the summer. I'm amazed not more people are mentioning it.

I wouldn't be changing formation for this game. Stick with the 4-3-3 that we know has served us well. Personally I'd go with Coutinho-Firmino-Salah as the front 3. I know that leaves us with the same midfield that has struggled on occasions. However, the majority of our best attacking football over the 12 months or so has come when Firmino has played centrally. In all honesty, we are going to win this game by being good in attack. Firmino in the No.9 position gives us the best chance of functioning most effectively going forward.

I've seen a few people suggest 4-1-2-1-2 as a potential formation. I actually quit like the formation but I think it negates playing some of our best players. Where do Salah and Firmino naturally fit into this formation? For me, it's a formation to get the best out of Daniel Sturridge and maybe Phil Coutinho at the tip of the diamond. However, I think you probably then need to play Solanke up front. Firmino and Sturridge seem to want to occupy the same spaces when they play together. The result is that they become less than the sum of their parts.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #465 on: September 22, 2017, 11:53:01 am »
For me it's just a gut feeling. I usually fancy us against anyone, I'm not buying into any of the panic, I have total belief in Jurgen, I love that he is our boss, but I just sometimes get these feelings. I honestly thought we'd win at City, but I've felt sine the draw we'd go out in the league cup and just don't think we'll get anything this weekend. We will win our next game.
It probably comes from years of getting yourself fired up for a Leicester game - only for things to quickly go wrong against them. It's called Status Quo bias. "Why would this time be any different".

So it's just your mind playing tricks on you. We'll batter them ;) :D

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: September 22, 2017, 12:00:59 pm »
As for this particular game - service seems to be the problem once more. It looks like only Coutinho & Grujic found a way to get the ball to him at all in the game. Robertson, Chamberlain, Flanagan couldn't find him with crosses or passes inside when he moved into half spaces. Gini & Hendo couldn't find him from deep.

I think there is also a tendency of giving the ball to Coutinho instead of looking at supplying the striker directly.

Agree with you, the performances are there, we will win soon. Starting tomorrow!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: September 22, 2017, 12:55:02 pm »
In what way? All our full backs are all short. Likewise the midfielders are designed to prevent time on the ball rather than prevent space also. Who are the players which will win the physical and aerial battles for us back there?

It doesn't matter if our full backs are short.  Once again, I'm not asking us to park the bus.  I am saying don't leave such huge gaps when we attack.  When one full back attacks, the other can sit back.  Then if we switch play that full back attacks and the other full back falls back.  Pivoting.  Having both full backs high at the same time gives us a problem and Vardy exactly what he wants, space down the channels to attack.  Do we need both of our full backs acting like wingers in games, especially away from home?  I don't think so.  They can support when the ball is on that side.  They don't need to always be high, especially as starting positions.

Missed that, sorry. Can you like it to me? Or is this is below?

It's on page 7 posted at 3:30pm.

What would the defensive structure look like?

The formation is on that post.  I explain some of the defensive structure.  Why so many questions? :D

Where is the defensive line sitting?

Depends on the situation in the game.

Zonal or Man marking? How? Where? When do we engage on the pitch? Halfway? Higher? Deeper?

Zonal or man - depends on the situation in the game again.  But I'd rather we had more of a general man to man approach in open play - but you have to do a mixture of both in reality.  If the opposition left back goes for an overlap, I'd like to see Salah track him.  For example.

What we see is sometimes Salah will go back and track a left back.  Other times one of the CMs will shift over to do it and that leaves gaps which have been exploited.

I'd like to see us start by doing a half way press.  A full press against Leicester means we'd need to play a high defensive line really.  Against Vardy (if he plays), I think that's asking for trouble. 

Control the game - but that only deals with on the ball. My entire post was talking of off the ball, which is where we have problems. But okay - Tell the full backs to Pivot. So one sits while the other pushes up. But then who stretches play for us horizontally? I assume the widest attacker?

I'm talking about both, with or without possession.

Our full back or wide attacker.  Depends.  If there is space for our full back to go into then he can go forward, but then I'd like to see the other full back fall back more.  Our approach is so open and Leicester have exploited that under Klopp.

We can't just have nobody wide as it allows them to compress us hugely in the middle with no space, plus we need that switch option to move the defence around to tire and look for gaps.

I haven't suggested that!

You're making a lot of wrong assumptions here, not for the first time I have debated with you have you done this.  Please stop doing it.  Discuss what I type, don't assume things I haven't said.

Also work in combination play diamonds which means usually one or both attackers are ball side of the pitch. So typically in wide areas you have 1 attacker, 1 #8, 1 full back and either another attacker or Henderson. This leaves you with 3 players centrally. Another #8 (positioned quite parallel to the sides diamond and nearby, or deeper in line with the bottom of the diamond if Henderson is involved). Then the wide attacker (but he is now wide). Then Henderson. So either you have a hole in midfield or nobody in the box now as one of those central players is providing width. You can get the #8 to provide that width but then you lose compactness in the middle. You can bring the wide player in but now you have let them compress us again and you have no switch option. We can bin off the idea of diamonds but then our combinations are based on them and we likely don't have time to practice others. We could just let the players wing it with them but it's typically not how Klopp likes to do it as he has a structured attack around those diamonds.

We can still play diamonds.  I'm merely asking for us to be slightly more solid in our defensive structure.  Might it affect us in attack, possibly.  Maybe we'll have slightly less of the ball.  Our these diamonds working?  Against Leicester mid week they didn't.  They didn't the two previous games away from home against them.  If we had the right players to play this open approach Klopp is doing, then I'd agree with sticking with our approach.  But we don't have VVD, Keita etc who can help make this work.  We don't even have arguably our best attacking player (Salah might have something to say about that) in Mane this weekend and our record without him is bleak.

Also are we still counter pressing? Who is doing this, when, how, for how long? Are we retreating? If so where is our defensively line? How do we prevent getting picked off without pressure on the ball? How do we deal with the far-side overload sides have against us when play breaks down? If we aren't pressing them high up the pitch it could be a problem.
They won't though. They tried to go at Huddersfield and demonstrated that their defenders cannot play a high line (hence why no Maguire to Liverpool I guess). The line dropped off later and there was a chasm between midfield and defence when they pushed forward and Huddersfield could just pick the ball up in space and run at their defence for days. I mean it could happen but I think that was a wake up call to Shakespeare that he cannot be an attacking side with his players as sides cannot push up so he either leaves space behind with no way to defend it, or get stretched vertically and get picked to pieces.

More questions.  ::)

I wish you could be bothered to actually read my post in the thread before typing all this, it could have saved you and myself a bit of time.

Yes counter press at the right times.  You have to assess the situation on the pitch.  Not always looking to counter attack regardless of the situation even if it is wrong.  I want to see the side know when to press and when to drop off.  I'd like to see some intelligence and more discipline in our defending and defensive structure.

Our attack aren't papering over our defensive issues like they were at the start of last season.  If we don't change something we're going to be heavily reliant on our attack always bailing the defence out.  That didn't work last season, hasn't worked that well this season so far, as mid week showed.  A game where Leicester also rested a lot of their main players, it should be noted.

How do we defend off the ball though? Hold line where? Shape, marking, engagement?

I've answered a lot of that.  I don't have time to go through every single situation on a pitch.  A lot of it depends on the situation.  But getting the defensive structure right would help.

I just saw how we could avoid getting caught in either our attacking or transitions better but not the defensive phase, unless I missed it. My entire post you were replying to was the defensive phase.
Klopp's results against them have been:-
Win 1-0 (H)
Lose 2-0 (A)
Win 4-1 (H)
Lose 3-1 (A)
Win 2-1 (Neutral - Asia Cup)
Lose 2-0 (A - League Cup)

So whatever way I cut that, leaving out the asia cup as a friendly, or including it, we have beat them once in the last 3 games. But isn't this just a tiny sample size and results based logic though. The bad performance in that lot was the 3-1 defeat I think. The 2-0 League Cup match was just one of those games where you create the chances to win and get suckerpunched. You cannot throw your tactical plans out on results based logic though. You either believe your tactical plan is doing what it should be (creating chances, limiting the oppositions) or it's not.

I look at that, and without any information at all I think wow, Red team was unlucky. That's it. People use a sequence of unlucky results to mean something more than it does often. It's human nature to look for patterns in everything. When in reality you shouldn't look for them, you should use the information you have to explain the outcome. How much of the recent results is luck? Sides aren't stopping us creating chances - which would indicate being found out - we just aren't scoring the chances we are creating. The opposition have no control over that at all. We do. The opposition isn't creating more or better chances against us. They are just scoring the chances they do have, most of which can be traced back to not one but several basic individual errors. Again, they don't control that, we do.

Ah we're just unlucky.  All the times we failed to break down the opposition last season or didn't win games was just bad luck.  I guess Man U won the league all the times in the 90s due to their luck.  Chelsea & Spurs were so lucky getting all those clean sheets last season because of luck.

There is nothing wrong with the way we play, the stats say we were unlucky.

Let's just ignore that Vardy has had a field day against us in the past with our high line, the full back pushing high at the same time and he's exploited the space.  Just hoping this will turn out fine without trying to minimise the chances of the opposition hurting us seems naïve to me.

Leicester don't mind Robertson crossing, as they fancy their defence to deal with those balls and they did.  Leicester don't mind Coutinho taking numerous shots from outside the box as he's far less likely to score from that position rather than if we got the ball in more dangerous areas.

They similar wait for the right chance and exploit our weaknesses.

I think we'll probably look much better on the weekend with Salah playing.  Often in the first half mid week Coutinho would get the ball and look for Ox to make that diagonal inside run between the full back and CB, like Salah does all the time.  But Ox wanted to come to the ball and his movement was disappointing.  Then again he's not really had success playing as an attacking wide player in his past, his goal record shows that.  We're probably playing him not in his best position to thrive.  You brilliant opening thread when he signed suggested he'd be best being a creator and deeper in CM and I agree with it. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Salah got a goal on the weekend.  Maybe one of Coutinho's long range efforts goes in, from some brilliance from him.  But I equally think Leicester will hurt us.  2-2 would be my prediction.  But I wouldn't be surprised if we lost, given Leicester seem perfectly set up to soak up our pressure and exploit our weaknesses.  Our history against them under Klopp at their ground doesn't lie.

You've totally bought into Klopp's brand of football.  You've studied it, by the sound of it.  That's great.  But is it working against these weaker sides?  Defensively, I'm not sure how you could say it is.  Our goals against record doesn't lie.

You can say we were unlucky.  Oh we had 35 chances, far more than they did... but who had the better chances?  Leicester's were significantly better than a lot of our 35.  Especially as many were just long rang efforts for us.     

I don't mind tinkering our style, maybe having less possession, being less pleasing on the eye, not having as much possession in their half - as it might actually help us.  It could draw them out more.  It should enable us to have a better defensive structure if we start our pressing from our own half.  Maybe Salah etc could thrive more having some more space behind.

Leicester will want us to have more of the ball.  They'll want us to push high.  They won't mind us shooting from distance and crossing a lot.  They they'll look to counter quickly.  At times they might press us aggressively high up the pitch if we start fannying around with it at the back.  That's where I think we can bring problems as if in doubt, I don't mind our GK or defenders hitting it long or out of touch. 

You say we we've been unlucky.  This is happening far too often to be unlucky.  Maybe we're not playing a very clever game.  Maybe we are naïve defensively.  Maybe all the possession (or more shots) doesn't mean we have more chance of winning.

You seem very defensive of Klopp's approach.  That's admirable, as I love Klopp and when we're good, we are brilliant to watch.  I also think his approach will work in the long term, when he gets the right players.

But without VVD, Keita, Mane suspended, Lallana injured - I'm not sure our normal approach is the right one to play a side like Leicester away from home.

If we were playing a top side in the league, I'd have no issue with our approach - the results speak for themselves in those games.

But against these weaker sides, especially a side like Leicester, is playing with the game plan we've tried the last two years under Klopp and had little success away from home against them the right approach?  I personally would like to see him change something to help us defensively.

True. But you didn't say how you wanted us to play in the defensive phase. Which I assumed being more conservative, like how we approached those games I mentioned.

I want a better defensive structure, a pressing game which start in our half.  A simpler formation to work defensively.  Less confusion.  Less open without the ball.  I think we'd be giving ourselves a better chance of a positive result.  As I still think our attacking players will be a threat with such changes.

When I talk about less confusion and a simpler defensive structure, let me give you an example.

If the opposition left back goes forward, sometimes Salah will track back, other times due to the formation someone like Wijanldum will be asked to drift across to deal with it.  Salah can then have space to attack, I get why he's being left free at times to do that.  The idea is that the rest of the other two CMs shift across and deal with the centre of midfield.  But at times they aren't.  Emre Can as you have shown plenty of times has been ball watching far too often this season.  Wijanldum has done it himself, as has Henderson.  Henderson gets drawn out of his position often.  Does he just ignore the player who is drawing him out?  Of course not, but you'd hope Wijnaldum or Can would cover - they aren't.

I feel the two CM roles ahead of Henderson have a really tough role in this formation.  If Robertson bombs forward, Milner is expected to cover that space, as he did on Robertson's debut.  Milner is also expected to press in CM when the opposition have the ball.  He's also expected to cover if Wijanldum drifts across to deal with the opposition LB.  It is a real thankless job, a massive energy drain on them (physically demanding) and at times confusing is occurring in the goals we concede and we look a mess at times.

Playing 4-2-3-1, which is my suggestion.  I'd give Henderson and Can (or Wijnaldum) simpler roles and instructions.  If the opposition LB is going forward, it is Salah's job to track that man, not one of yours to cover (unless Salah is out of position which can occur occasionally).  You primarily role is to protect the back four.  Don't bomb forward, your job isn't to win us the game - let the front four do that.  Your job is to be disciplined, protect the back four, control the CM and give the ball to the front four to hurt the opposition.  The attacking wide players should primarily be tracking these fullbacks, not you.

Under Benitez if Ashley Cole went forward, Kuyt would make dam sure he'd track that run.  Alonso and Mascherano weren't in the team to bomb forward and win us games.  They let Gerrard, Torres, Riera and Kuyt do that.  They gave brilliant protection to the back four and control games and the CM area. 

Alonso and Mascherano are vastly superior to Henderson and Can (or Wijnaldum).  But they also had simpler tasks.  Yesterday I made a post say how the CBs need help, well the CM have a thankless job in this system at times too.  Maybe stripping back the roles, making it more clear what players should do and having a better structure could help.

Salah will still be a huge threat even if he has to track back.  We've seen that already.  Coutinho can still do those bits of brilliance.  But maybe when a CM is drawn out of position, the other knows his job is to cover.  Currently the CMs at times don't know where they should be, should they be pressing, covering, holding their position, tracking a man - and it looks a mess.

We're going to be vulnerable with these set our CBs & CMs.  But are we giving them the best set up & instructions to succeed or are we highlighting their weaknesses more and making their job tougher?  I'd suggest it is the latter.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #468 on: September 22, 2017, 12:58:57 pm »
Surely we should tailor our strategy against certain teams if our plan A doesn't tend to work against them.
In Leicester's championship year we stood off them at Anfield and waited for our class to tell(Benteke got the winner).
In the away game we appeared to forget that - you could see them dropping deeper and deeper and us pushing more and more forward then they hit us on the break.
 A  draw isn't the end of the world against a team like Leicester away and they need a win as well. Let's be a bit more cagey instead of hell for leather - we can still hit them in fits and starts.

Online Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: September 22, 2017, 01:35:56 pm »
It probably comes from years of getting yourself fired up for a Leicester game - only for things to quickly go wrong against them. It's called Status Quo bias. "Why would this time be any different".

So it's just your mind playing tricks on you. We'll batter them ;) :D

I'm biased towards Status Quo..greatly underrated band.

Offline Koplad83

• Main Stander
« Reply #470 on: September 22, 2017, 02:10:16 pm »
A really tough game for us, especially in our current poor form.

We desperately need Henderson to get back to his form from early last season, he's been abysmal so far this season.

I expect our back four to be better drilled tomorrow. They'll have been working on our defensive shape since Wednesday I hope.

I think Gomez has the right attributes to deal with vardy.

We will win. I'd really like a jammy 1-0 with s flukey winner. Just to piss them off!😁

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #471 on: September 22, 2017, 02:19:20 pm »

I won't reply to all of it, as it will make this the longest post in history which I doubt anybody wants.

What I would say is that understanding football on a tactical level isn't easy. For every change made, there are knock on effects most of which we wouldn't even be aware of because we just don't understand the game on that level. I'm the same. I know the questions to ask, which is why I keep asking you them - merely prompting to say "have you thought of this". I have almost none of the answers. I understand enough to know what needs to be thought about - but not enough to propose solutions. I can makes guesses though, because it would get boring fast if I just ducked every question topic with a simple "no idea". Plus we all like to give our opinions on things, predict things, suggest changes, it's part of the fun of following sport. I just tailor my posts to work on the starting assumption tactically we are doing this right, simply because tactically, Klopp's sides have always been hailed by legendary coaches in the game. Therefore the chances of me seeing something Klopp (or the "brain" behind him) doesn't is infinitesimally small. Therefore I focus my Nihilism approach to other sides - because I don't care when I (likely) will be wrong but it's fun trolling them about perceived tactical flaws. For Liverpool, I focus on discussing what is, what changes may happen, where it is going wrong - but avoid anything approaching "This is where Klopp is getting it wrong". For me it's far more likely that individuals are not carrying out instructions properly than believe the instructions are wrong.

Take marking for example. We use option-oriented zonal marking more often than not. When gegenpressing it is man oriented zonal marking. But normally, this means that each player has to decide what to do in the situation based on the perceived dangers that could occur on how play is developing. There will be an overall task - that will be to limit space, engage at certain points, retreat at certain points, where to allow time on the ball, where not to, where to leave space to invite attacks, where not to, etc. But there is a LOT of freedom there for players to make decisions. Which is why, although I see Chamberlain as being a signing for midfield, I doubted we would see him in midfield initially. He will need to make far more decisions in there and the consequences of making the wrong ones are almost always disaster. He needs to learn how we play, the triggers, positioning, spacing, and how to react to team mates movements around him to continuously adjust. Instinctly he will want to press the ball, which means with Henderson and Can in there already with the same instincts, it would be disaster to throw him in until we've given him some instructions to fall back on rather than rely on instincts. If you had a midfield of Gini & Lucas, for example, behind him, then it would be different. He could roam and destroy like Sissoko with more tactically sound players worrying about space.

I pointed out before that there are two types of coaches (or conductors) - Rigid and Fluid.
Strict/Rigid tactical framework is like a symphonic orchestra where each musician has its own score (very different from the score of the other orchestra members) and has to stick to it, focusing on the rhythm or harmonic section according to the score received and sticking to orders received from the Director … and the symphony comes out as a magic, with the orchestra playing as a whole.

On the other side, a team with a Loose/Fluid framework is like a jazz orchestra where there’s a main theme around which each musician build its own improvisations, in this case every musician shares the main theme but plays its own improvisation covering both the harmonic and rhythm section … and the jazz masterpiece comes out as a magic, with the orchestra playing as a whole.

So this is how different coaches see the game, teach the game, recruit, etc. Your post simply tells me as a coach, you would be more in the first category. Klopp is more in the second category. There is no right or wrong. Some people understand classical music. Some understand jazz. They are both beautiful though and there is a place for both.

So defensively we have a very fluid system allowing players to make choices. I posted in the goals conceded thread a second by second breakdown of how we go from defensively stable to goal conceded in the space of 40 seconds. Tactically - you can clearly see there is nothing wrong. You can infer the instructions the team has based on their actions. You can then see when they go off sheet.

In attack, likewise, we have a very fluid system based on some set rules. One player must remain wide. We progress using possession diamonds. 2/3 of the midfield trio must remain compact and level/behind the ball. Runners from deep during possession diamonds. There are likely more too but not much. And if you are not committing players in attack, it becomes impossible to maintain that width, have a man in the box, secure midfield and overload the flanks and play combinations.

And sure, we don't have to play like that, but Klopp does. That is how he builds his attacking play. That is how he sees defending. He empowers his players to play in a loose tactical framework and right now they are letting him down. Suggesting it change it to something else for me is akin to asking for a different coach who sees the game in a way more closer how you do. In the same way as music is music all written on a piece of paper, but if you like Jazz music you wouldn't get in Mozart and ask him to play it. He could make a go of it perhaps, but it likely wouldn't be natural to him and wouldn't be anywhere near the quality of his classical music. Instead you just go out and get the best Jazz musician you can find.

We wanted Klopp here. We knew what we are getting. We knew it would take 2-3 years to come together. We knew there would be bumps along the way. It was all very evident following his Dortmund side. There is no law of unintended consequences at play here. It's simply certain individual players not performing as required and needing some luck in both boxes. Hope it comes soon too because it seems patience & trust with the manager is at an all time low.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: September 22, 2017, 02:22:52 pm »
For me Firmino has to play as the centerforward and not on the flank,which means either coutinho or Chamberlain on the flank and one of the two in midfield

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: September 22, 2017, 02:35:43 pm »
Snip

I want to reply to this, but agree this might not be the best topic to do so.

Do I reply here or elsewhere?

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #474 on: September 22, 2017, 02:38:13 pm »
I want to reply to this, but agree this might not be the best topic to do so.

Do I reply here or elsewhere?
No worries mate.

I'll post in the JK tactics thread my post as it fits there better. It's a more general rather than game specific point I think?

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #475 on: September 22, 2017, 02:40:54 pm »
I won't reply to all of it, as it will make this the longest post in history which I doubt anybody wants.

What I would say is that understanding football on a tactical level isn't easy. For every change made, there are knock on effects most of which we wouldn't even be aware of because we just don't understand the game on that level. I'm the same. I know the questions to ask, which is why I keep asking you them - merely prompting to say "have you thought of this". I have almost none of the answers. I understand enough to know what needs to be thought about - but not enough to propose solutions. I can makes guesses though, because it would get boring fast if I just ducked every question topic with a simple "no idea". Plus we all like to give our opinions on things, predict things, suggest changes, it's part of the fun of following sport. I just tailor my posts to work on the starting assumption tactically we are doing this right, simply because tactically, Klopp's sides have always been hailed by legendary coaches in the game. Therefore the chances of me seeing something Klopp (or the "brain" behind him) doesn't is infinitesimally small. Therefore I focus my Nihilism approach to other sides - because I don't care when I (likely) will be wrong but it's fun trolling them about perceived tactical flaws. For Liverpool, I focus on discussing what is, what changes may happen, where it is going wrong - but avoid anything approaching "This is where Klopp is getting it wrong". For me it's far more likely that individuals are not carrying out instructions properly than believe the instructions are wrong.

Take marking for example. We use option-oriented zonal marking more often than not. When gegenpressing it is man oriented zonal marking. But normally, this means that each player has to decide what to do in the situation based on the perceived dangers that could occur on how play is developing. There will be an overall task - that will be to limit space, engage at certain points, retreat at certain points, where to allow time on the ball, where not to, where to leave space to invite attacks, where not to, etc. But there is a LOT of freedom there for players to make decisions. Which is why, although I see Chamberlain as being a signing for midfield, I doubted we would see him in midfield initially. He will need to make far more decisions in there and the consequences of making the wrong ones are almost always disaster. He needs to learn how we play, the triggers, positioning, spacing, and how to react to team mates movements around him to continuously adjust. Instinctly he will want to press the ball, which means with Henderson and Can in there already with the same instincts, it would be disaster to throw him in until we've given him some instructions to fall back on rather than rely on instincts. If you had a midfield of Gini & Lucas, for example, behind him, then it would be different. He could roam and destroy like Sissoko with more tactically sound players worrying about space.

I pointed out before that there are two types of coaches (or conductors) - Rigid and Fluid.
Strict/Rigid tactical framework is like a symphonic orchestra where each musician has its own score (very different from the score of the other orchestra members) and has to stick to it, focusing on the rhythm or harmonic section according to the score received and sticking to orders received from the Director … and the symphony comes out as a magic, with the orchestra playing as a whole.

On the other side, a team with a Loose/Fluid framework is like a jazz orchestra where there’s a main theme around which each musician build its own improvisations, in this case every musician shares the main theme but plays its own improvisation covering both the harmonic and rhythm section … and the jazz masterpiece comes out as a magic, with the orchestra playing as a whole.

So this is how different coaches see the game, teach the game, recruit, etc. Your post simply tells me as a coach, you would be more in the first category. Klopp is more in the second category. There is no right or wrong. Some people understand classical music. Some understand jazz. They are both beautiful though and there is a place for both.

So defensively we have a very fluid system allowing players to make choices. I posted in the goals conceded thread a second by second breakdown of how we go from defensively stable to goal conceded in the space of 40 seconds. Tactically - you can clearly see there is nothing wrong. You can infer the instructions the team has based on their actions. You can then see when they go off sheet.

In attack, likewise, we have a very fluid system based on some set rules. One player must remain wide. We progress using possession diamonds. 2/3 of the midfield trio must remain compact and level/behind the ball. Runners from deep during possession diamonds. There are likely more too but not much. And if you are not committing players in attack, it becomes impossible to maintain that width, have a man in the box, secure midfield and overload the flanks and play combinations.

And sure, we don't have to play like that, but Klopp does. That is how he builds his attacking play. That is how he sees defending. He empowers his players to play in a loose tactical framework and right now they are letting him down. Suggesting it change it to something else for me is akin to asking for a different coach who sees the game in a way more closer how you do. In the same way as music is music all written on a piece of paper, but if you like Jazz music you wouldn't get in Mozart and ask him to play it. He could make a go of it perhaps, but it likely wouldn't be natural to him and wouldn't be anywhere near the quality of his classical music. Instead you just go out and get the best Jazz musician you can find.

We wanted Klopp here. We knew what we are getting. We knew it would take 2-3 years to come together. We knew there would be bumps along the way. It was all very evident following his Dortmund side. There is no law of unintended consequences at play here. It's simply certain individual players not performing as required and needing some luck in both boxes. Hope it comes soon too because it seems patience & trust with the manager is at an all time low.

Excellently put, it's hard to disagree with much of that. I posted something with similar sentiment (with nowhere near the articulacy nor the tactical knowledge) in one of the post match threads a few weeks ago. We absolutely all signed up to Klopp and his methods, whether everyone appreciated what that actually meant may be another matter altogether but I find it baffling to see some calling for his head. Football should be fun, yeah we want to win more than anything, but I've no idea what coach we could get in (classical or jazz to continue with your metaphor) who would improve our chances of doing so over Klopp.

I'm sure the initial response from some will be to go back to transfers (particularly CB) which may hold some truth but I'm not sure it's that simple.

In short football fans are generally a bit fickle, and some have particularly short memories. We should all remember how happy we were when we got Klopp and have a bit of faith.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:43:24 pm by TomDcs »

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: September 22, 2017, 02:46:39 pm »
Excellently put, it's hard to disagree with much of that. I posted something with similar sentiment (with nowhere near the articulacy nor the tactical knowledge) in one of the post match threads a few weeks ago. We absolutely all signed up to Klopp and his methods, whether everyone appreciated what that actually meant may be another matter altogether but I find it baffling to see some calling for his head. Football should be fun, yeah we want to win more than anything, but I've no idea what coach we could get in (classical or jazz to continue with your metaphor) who would improve our chances of doing so over Klopp.

I'm sure the initial response from some will be to go back to transfers (particularly CB) which may hold some truth but I'm not sure it's that simple.

In short football fans are generally a bit fickle.

Hold on.

Where have I called for his head?

Where have I lost faith in Klopp?

Where have I not suddenly signed up to his methods?

If you read my posts I am not talking about transfers.

All I am asking for is until Klopp has time and the players to suit his brand of football and for it to work.  That he tinkers with it and is more pragmatic, like he was at the end of last season, to help us get results for now.

Let me get that clear.  I am fully behind Klopp.  I have fully bought into him and his beliefs for the long term.  I'm talking about what's best to get three points against Leicester here, not calling for anyones head, being fickle or anything.

Babu has made some very good points and I'll be replying to them in the appropriate topic.  But don't be calling me fickle or not behind Klopp when I haven't suggested anything like that.  I am merely talking about him being more pragmatic, like he was at the end of last season, which made us clinch Top Four.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #477 on: September 22, 2017, 02:50:39 pm »
Hold on.

Where have I called for his head?

Where have I lost faith in Klopp?

Where have I not suddenly signed up to his methods?

If you read my posts I am not talking about transfers.

All I am asking for is until Klopp has time and the players to suit his brand of football and for it to work.  That he tinkers with it and is more pragmatic, like he was at the end of last season, to help us get results for now.

Let me get that clear.  I am fully behind Klopp.  I have fully bought into him and his beliefs for the long term.  I'm talking about what's best to get three points against Leicester here, not calling for anyones head, being fickle or anything.

Babu has made some very good points and I'll be replying to them in the appropriate topic.  But don't be calling me fickle or not behind Klopp when I haven't suggested anything like that.  I am merely talking about him being more pragmatic, like he was at the end of last season, which made us clinch Top Four.

Sorry I wasn't making the point directly towards you, more just the general narrative I've seen elsewhere for which Babu's post seems to address quite nicely.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #478 on: September 22, 2017, 03:03:18 pm »
For me Firmino has to play as the centerforward and not on the flank,which means either coutinho or Chamberlain on the flank and one of the two in midfield

Can't see that happening to be honest, especially if Can isn't involved. I expect to see the same front three as last weekend, considering Sturridge, Firmino, and Salah were all rested on Tuesday.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Vlads

• Anny Roader
  • We've only won it six times..
« Reply #479 on: September 22, 2017, 03:33:58 pm »

somehow as bleak as it has been past few days.. I dont see us losing to Leicester twice in a row.
3-1 to Liverpool.
Keep ya heads up!