Author Topic: What games are you playing at the moment?  (Read 214968 times)

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: What games are you playing at the moment?
« Reply #3040 on: May 14, 2023, 01:20:49 pm »
still going (and cheating like fuck) on ffx-2. quite a silly game really but I don't mind that necessarily.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3041 on: May 14, 2023, 11:54:57 pm »
After putting loads of hours into FFX on the XSX I went straight to FFX2 and had to turn it off after an hour. I just couldnt get on board with the noncey manga clothes show it was. I can look past one big titted magic princess but it was just a barbie dress up game?

oddly for a game which is pretty silly for quite a lot of it it's largely about dealing with grief.

anyway I finished that and decided to take the plunge on jedi survivor. it works, at least so far and I've even got RT on. some pretty horrific frame rate drops which I'm sure some would say make it "literally unplayable" but I'm not arsed about those as long as they're short, which they are so far.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #3042 on: May 15, 2023, 09:14:22 am »
Twatted Rayvis on Jedi Survivor after umpteen attempts. I need more fingers.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3043 on: May 15, 2023, 09:16:49 am »
Zelda: ToTK for the forseeable I imagine.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #3044 on: May 15, 2023, 10:20:54 am »
Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13. It's insane that this game is almost a quarter of a century old (came out in April 1999 according to Wikipedia) and it's even more insane what fans of the game have done with mods (especially the whole v1.13-mod). For anyone who doesn't know it, the game is a (turn based) strategy game, where you're working for the exiled leader of a tropical island nation who got ousted by his wife who is now running the country as a dictatorship. You get a bit of starting money and can hire mercenaries with different abilities and personalities, to then support the rebels on the island to re-take the country and get rid of the dictatorship. What made it and still makes it special is that you're basically in charge of the whole operation and you decide (after initially being dropped in a rebel holdout) how to free the island. The map is divided into more than 100 sectors and you can go whereever you want. Most of the sectors are empty, because there's just woodland there, swamps or the road connecting the different villages and cities. However, there are six or seven settlements on the map (with two or up to five sectors each) that you get to liberate one after the other. Once you've taken over a town you can train a rebel militia there to protect it from the state army who tries to retake control.

It's very dynamic and you can basically decide freely how you want to go about the whole thing (of course the game gives you slight hints through the storyline about which way you might want to go, but ultimately you decide yourself). You make money by taking over the towns and most of them have a mine whose workers will start working for you instead of the state. As your winning more and more battles you get more loyalty from the people/rebels and the income from the mines goes up. With the money you need to hire new mercenaries, who need to be paid upfront with daily, weekly or bi-weekly contracts. You can also renew contracts with mercs already in your team, but as they level up, they get more expensive. You also need the money to buy new gear which is done either with a handful of traders on the island or you can use a website, where you can order stuff that then gets delivered to the local airport a (few) day(s) later depending on how much you're prepared to pay for shipping. You then actually have to go there and collect the stuff from boxes. You're basically playing the game on three different screens: there's a strategic overview of the island, where you're basically doing the 'big picture'-stuff like deciding where your mercs are going next, where new ones get dropped of, where to train new militia, etc. Then there's a tactical view where you "zoom in" to individual sectors both for turn-based battles against the enemy forces, but also to explore the world, because the game does have some RPG aspects as well with quests you get given and talking to characters. Finally, there's also the laptop screen where you get all the important information about your operation (like stats on your mercs, questlog, etc.). However, you also have 'internet'-access through your laptop (not the actual internet, but the one in game), because hiring mercs, getting gear and other stuff happens online via websites.

What makes the game so special in my view is that it gives you so much freedom and it tells great little stories both scripted, but also just with the stuff you experience while fighting your battles or with your mercs. They all have different personalities and you can get pretty attached to them so you don't want them to do. You form relationships with them and they can just quit, if for example too many people die while working for you. And they also have relationships with other mercs, so you can have people who really hate each other and can't work together or some who are friends and who like working with each other and won't quit even if they're unhappy as long as their mate is in your team as well. That's just another great dynamic the game offers. It's also a really good game in terms of gameplay itself. The overall management aspect is nicely done and the battles can be won in different styles depending on the mercs and the equipment you're using, like doing mostly night ops using night vision goggles or having a team of snipers.

Having said all that, the game was an absolute mess when it came out in 1999. It was buggy as fuck (no wonder with the kind of mechanics and freedom it has). However, it got patched later, even thought that was kind of a mess as well as it was a rather small studio. The last version was 1.12, but modding was kind of a big thing with the game. So v1.13 has been around for 15 years or so. I think it was initially started to improve the game even further in terms of fixing bugs and other little things (because the studio who did the original game no longer existed), but since then they've added tons of new mechanics improving the game even more and making it more complex. Biggest thing for me is, that they made it playable on new machines as the original version had only a resolution of 640x480. The game is still on Steam and GOG and modding it is pretty easy. You basically just copy some files. What's also great apart from what the stuff they've fixed, added and changed (like the whole gear system) is that there are now many more options to customize the gameplay that weren't there with the initial release.

Even though the v1.13-mod has been out there for a while (and it is still worked on getting updates BTW), I never really got into playing JA2 again. The interface was just too clunky. Decided to give it another go this weekend and it basically just clicked again. Don't know, if it's because I tried a different screen resolution or whether it's down to something they've changed in the mod, but it's very playable now and I really enjoy it. Played a shitload of it back when it was initially released and before that, I played loads of the origional Jagged Alliance which wasn't as complex, but still had a lot of the same mechanics in it (like having your team of querky mercs to grow fond of). JA2 wasn't the final game of the franchise, but the ones after that weren't as good. There were two more additions to the franchise based on the JA2 original game, but they were both buggy as well and are considered to be a lot worse than JA2. Sir Tech, the studio that developed the franchise, went bust not too long after JA2 was released and since then various companies held the rights to the Jagged Alliance franchise. There were also quite a few attempts to create a third installment of the series, but none of them were any good or commercially successful. However, THQ Nordirc now has the rights to JA and they're currently devloping Jagged Alliance 3 and it is supposed to be released in summer. It is developed by Haemimont Games and the previews look really good (not in terms of graphics, but in terms of it being a worthy successor to JA2). Not only have the press been able to play the game, but they also gave it to various Youtubers who were able to play the first 12 hours or so. And they all seem pretty impressed by the game. Biggest plus could be that the initial creator of the franchise Ian Currie is involved in the development of the new game. Really looking forward to the summer and will enjoy playing JA2 v1.13 until then...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 11:02:15 am by stoa »

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3045 on: May 15, 2023, 10:39:25 am »
I am happy to say (for my own reasons) that 1999 is nowhere near half a century ago.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3046 on: May 15, 2023, 11:03:18 am »
I am happy to say (for my own reasons) that 1999 is nowhere near half a century ago.

Haha... Thank fuck for that. Somehow got some wires crossed in my head when thinking about how long ago it was. ;)

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #3047 on: May 18, 2023, 02:29:15 pm »
But yer as close to 1983 as you were to 1933 then.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3048 on: May 18, 2023, 03:24:24 pm »
But yer as close to 1983 as you were to 1933 then.

sure, if you failed maths.

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #3049 on: May 18, 2023, 04:22:31 pm »
dammit was supposed to typre 1943

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #3050 on: May 18, 2023, 04:32:26 pm »
The new Mortal Kombat trailer looks pretty good
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3051 on: May 19, 2023, 07:31:04 am »
I'm about 15 hours into Breath Of The Wild and it's living up to the hype.  It's also a lot tougher than I thought it'd be, truth be told I prejudged things by how the game looked and thought it'd be a child like romp, it's far from that.  It took me longer to beat one of those Guardian bastards than it did to beat some of the Elden Ring bosses.  It's proper open world, you can go anywhere depending on stamina, I'm following some vague story type thread (have to go and get some arrows to beat one of the divine beasts) but I'm spending most of my time climbing towers and pinning areas I want to explore and beating shrines.  The fact that you can play this on the go is kinda nuts really.

I have Tears Of The kingdom lined up but I'll give Zelda a bit of a break after this one.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3052 on: May 21, 2023, 10:22:14 pm »
For anyone who's sceptical about getting Death Stranding it's available for FREE on the Epic Games Store until Thursday. So, you can just get it now and keep it forever. No risk, if you want to try it.

Having said that, I'm currently playing a little indy Early Access game, after Yahtzee did a Zero Punctution about it. It's called Shadows of Doubt and it's available on Steam (for 20 Euros). The game has voxel graphics (so not some shiny graphic monster), but the whole idea behind it is great. If you start a new game, it creates a small (part of a?) city with people living there, shops, flats, restaurants, workplaces. Every person is simulated and has some kind of back story, i.e. some of them are living with other people, they have jobs, etc. You're basically one of those people and your task is to solve crimes as the setting is some kind of dystopian world where nobody really gives a fuck about crime and  people solve crimes themselves. There are minor cases like finding stuff that was stolen from someone. However, the big challenge are murder cases where you go to the crime scene and have to find out stuff about the victim like how they died, where they were working and other things like that. Then you go from there to track down the killer. It's a very interesting concept, but as it's still Early Access it's still very clunky at the moment, but still pretty interesting to play. Hope the developer polishes the game further and puts more stuff in it in the coming months.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3053 on: May 22, 2023, 01:03:24 am »
Having said that, I'm currently playing a little indy Early Access game, after Yahtzee did a Zero Punctution about it. It's called Shadows of Doubt and it's available on Steam (for 20 Euros). The game has voxel graphics (so not some shiny graphic monster), but the whole idea behind it is great. If you start a new game, it creates a small (part of a?) city with people living there, shops, flats, restaurants, workplaces. Every person is simulated and has some kind of back story, i.e. some of them are living with other people, they have jobs, etc. You're basically one of those people and your task is to solve crimes as the setting is some kind of dystopian world where nobody really gives a fuck about crime and  people solve crimes themselves. There are minor cases like finding stuff that was stolen from someone. However, the big challenge are murder cases where you go to the crime scene and have to find out stuff about the victim like how they died, where they were working and other things like that. Then you go from there to track down the killer. It's a very interesting concept, but as it's still Early Access it's still very clunky at the moment, but still pretty interesting to play. Hope the developer polishes the game further and puts more stuff in it in the coming months.
Nice one, haven't heard of that. Sounds really interesting, especially if it's playing up hollywood golden age/film noir vibes, which the title similarity to Hitchcock's classic suggest. Look forward to seeing how that gets on

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3054 on: May 23, 2023, 05:48:55 pm »
Playing Lords of the Fallen on Xbox, saw the trailer for the new game (of the same name) and remembered I had the original in my Xbox Gold library, it's really good and fans of Dark Souls games would like it.

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #3055 on: May 24, 2023, 03:23:47 pm »
Jedi: Survivor - about 50% as good as previous game. Not worth the money and a bit meh really. Plus its a bit crashy.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3056 on: May 24, 2023, 05:01:22 pm »
Jedi: Survivor - about 50% as good as previous game. Not worth the money and a bit meh really. Plus its a bit crashy.

I really enjoyed it, though I do think they overdid the 'parkour' in some areas.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3057 on: May 24, 2023, 06:35:27 pm »
Death Stranding is a masterpiece. One of the best games ever made for singleplayer.

Disco got on my nerves for too much reading. I just wanna shoot stuff sometimes. That said, its an impressive game which I will resume playing once I shoot/jedi/blow up more things and decide to take a more sedate game for a while.

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut is fully voiced, and it has a fantastic voice cast.
:D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3058 on: May 24, 2023, 06:40:55 pm »
it has a fantastic voice cast.

Apart from Cuno's Scouse accent...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3059 on: May 24, 2023, 06:42:15 pm »
Fucking Cuno.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3060 on: May 30, 2023, 01:52:34 am »
Apart from Cuno's Scouse accent...

I mean the actor is from Liverpool ;D

It was a bit much though.
:D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3061 on: May 30, 2023, 10:30:36 am »
I mean the actor is from Liverpool ;D

It was a bit much though.

Really? Ha, would not have believed it. Sounded way too put on to me. Shows what I know!

Started watching this yesterday, about the current legal case at ZA/UM regarding Disco Elysium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGIGA8taN-M  lot covered though so haven't finished it yet.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3062 on: May 30, 2023, 11:27:45 pm »
Really? Ha, would not have believed it. Sounded way too put on to me. Shows what I know!

Started watching this yesterday, about the current legal case at ZA/UM regarding Disco Elysium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGIGA8taN-M  lot covered though so haven't finished it yet.

I loved Chris Bratt when he was at Eurogamer and this video looks well made (after watching for about half an hour). What really weirds me out is that there's a burning cigarette in the ashtray. Is that some kind of inside joke or regular thing on this channel? It's fucking distracting... ;)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3063 on: May 31, 2023, 09:51:33 am »
Evil West, good fun just smashing through a bunch of vampires in the wild west.  But the button mapping is really weird and can't be changed, which is incredibly annoying.

First game I've ever set to easy for my playthrough, and it's all because of the stupid button layout which I just cannot get used to.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3064 on: June 1, 2023, 03:44:04 pm »
Desperados 3. Tactical stealth game. Good story, nice graphics, fluid gameplay and amazing soundtrack.

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3065 on: June 3, 2023, 02:52:16 pm »
Desperados 3. Tactical stealth game. Good story, nice graphics, fluid gameplay and amazing soundtrack.

Great game. Reminded me of my time playing Commandos as a kid.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3066 on: June 3, 2023, 03:28:49 pm »
Both Ori games are going for under £5 on the Nintendo store.  My youngest has been playing the first one all afternoon.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3067 on: June 4, 2023, 10:25:36 pm »

Wow this is a blast from the past.

I absolutely loved the 2001 original game.  I was so impressed, I even wrote a review for a early 2000’s game magazine. It was so much fun and satisfying gameplay when you got things right.

Didn’t know they even released a Desperados 2, let alone this third recent instalment.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #3068 on: June 5, 2023, 01:25:13 am »
Anyone playing Diablo IV?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3069 on: June 5, 2023, 01:28:51 am »

Yup, absolutely loving it. Finished the campaign today and now gearing up in nightmare level. So far just playing the rogue.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3070 on: June 5, 2023, 01:35:38 am »
Tried the Diablo IV beta, but not really a fan of the Diablo-games, so pretty much stopped playing once I had finished the tutorial stuff and got into the starting area.

Have to weeks off from work now, so I'm kind of looking for a game to play. Not sure what I want though... ;)

• Kopite
« Reply #3071 on: June 5, 2023, 01:58:55 am »
Yup, absolutely loving it. Finished the campaign today and now gearing up in nightmare level. So far just playing the rogue.
That's boss.  I'm only a couple of hours in but I'm gripped.  I loved D2 as a kid but skipped D3 altogether (I fell out of love with gaming for a while around about the time it came out).  This is ace.

• Kopite
« Reply #3072 on: June 5, 2023, 01:59:56 am »
Tried the Diablo IV beta, but not really a fan of the Diablo-games, so pretty much stopped playing once I had finished the tutorial stuff and got into the starting area.

Have to weeks off from work now, so I'm kind of looking for a game to play. Not sure what I want though... ;)
I was trying not to buy this but couldn't hold back.  Glad I did go for it.  FFXVI is out soon so that'll be the other big game on my rotation.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3073 on: June 5, 2023, 02:44:29 am »
That's boss.  I'm only a couple of hours in but I'm gripped.  I loved D2 as a kid but skipped D3 altogether (I fell out of love with gaming for a while around about the time it came out).  This is ace.

I've played all the diablo's multiple times for multiple years. I bought this right when it was available. Absolutely one of my favorites games of all time.

I've played the campaign solid for like 4 days, and just soaked it in.

Nightmare is ridiculous but the weapons stack so much! So much to do as well, it's a fantastic game and the visuals are amazing.

Enjoy!

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #3074 on: June 5, 2023, 02:18:29 pm »
Anybody here has played Code Vein? I need an opinion. I read that it is a "Soullike" genre. Is it too difficult like Bloodborne?

If the enemies keep spawning after we have died (like Bloodborne), then I give up. It's too difficult for me, such a waste of money that I bought Bloodborne and couldn't finish it.

Is Code Vein like that? Thank you, lads here. Appreciate for the info.

** My next target is Scarlet Nexus, just waiting the price to drop a bit. Looks fun, Scarlet Nexus.

It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3075 on: June 5, 2023, 02:21:00 pm »
Enemies respawn in all soulslike games.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #3076 on: June 5, 2023, 02:26:22 pm »
Enemies respawn in all soulslike games.
Thank you very much, Zlen!!! You save my money. Fook this shit, I was crying after 3-4 times playing Bloodborne, gave up and straight abandoned that game forever.

But the graphic looks goooodddd, Code Vein. Aaahh. I just can't take it, this respawning game. Thank you again, Zlen.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3077 on: June 5, 2023, 02:47:02 pm »
It’s literally the whole concept of these games. You are weak and inexperienced, you explore and get your ass handed to you, death. You go again and learn how to navigate the level, beat enemies, you get more xp, level up and all of a sudden the initially hard level is manageable. But it really isn’t for everyone and can get very frustrating if you just want linear forward progress.

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #3078 on: June 5, 2023, 03:09:26 pm »
Trying to play Hell Let Loose, but I seem to die pretty much immediately...tough game

Online Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3079 on: June 5, 2023, 11:04:08 pm »

Played through the campaign so far on my first character, enjoying it so far.

I didn't like the way that the zone scaling stops at 50, until you complete a post-campaign dungeon, when the amount of side quests (and a needless cap of 20 active quests in your log) and all the other stuff can easily take you much higher. I was midway through act 4 and was level 48, but I have seen some people being 40+ and still in act 2.