Author Topic: The Good, The Bad, and The Dreadful: Sporting Statues.  (Read 8367 times)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
The Good, The Bad, and The Dreadful: Sporting Statues.
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:14:07 pm »
So Newcastle are the latest football club to unveil a new statue of their old number 9, Alan Shearer recently.

A few years ago, Arsenal unveiled a new statue of Thierry Henry and Tony Adams at The Emirates Stadium. Aswell as Denis Bergkamp. And Herbert Chapman. Oh, and Ken Friar too. Five statues.

THIERRY HENRY

TONY ADAMS:

HERBERT CHAPMAN

KEN FRIAR

I'm not sure if a statue fully fits inside the public art cubby hole, but nonetheless, it's art (of a sort), and it's existence exists outside of a gallery. Nobody ever has to pay to go and see it (not yet anyway), and you can just walk past a statue because it's out in public. So for the sake of argument, a statue is public art.

More public art has sprung up in the last 20-30 years than has done in the whole history of mankind previously - in this country at least. It's become almost impossible to see a worth while re-development project without seeing a good few pounds spent on some art - it's almost become a tick box, and we're all seemingly eager to biro it in. Some of it is really great, some not so. Some of it is shite. Most of it is shite.

I had the honour of sitting on an adjudicating panel once for a piece of public art, and although I've only sat on one so can't compare, it was reasonably eye opening. What was more eye opening tho, was being interviewed by phone by a newspaper editor (the editor) about this proposal, and seeing each and every thing I said twisted to suit their clear agenda, printed on page 2 in a full page article. I may as well not have been called at all, it was that bad. I know newspapers operate in this way, but to see it, and read it first hand, on a very personal level, was memorable.

So I've always been interested in public art. I've also always been interested in the machinations of peddling bullshit.

But let's focus on sporting statues. There's been some great ones... some not so, and some pretty bloody bad.

Sculpture isn't easy. I know, I studied it. But you have to wonder ...

Ted Bates... a big cheese in Southampton FC's history. Will always remember, as many will I'm sure, seeing this pic for the first time. I almost hyperventilated. It struck a chord so deep, but I was literally on my knees. They have, thank god, replaced it with a very fine statue of Ted. 

Ah, that's a little better.

So what makes a good sporting statue? What are the key ingredients? Making it look life like? Quite important, tho I love a bit of this:

It's very bloody difficult to exude the idea of movement in a sporting sculpture... some can, some can't. Some don't bother. The Herbert Chapman statue above is lovely I think. I think Arsenal get a 6.8/10 for their new statues... I like the Ken Friar one too, tho I just wish he was left alone without that MASSIVE BIT OF INFORMATION BEHIND HIM!

There's hundreds out there... have you seen the Andy Murray one? Fuck me. Alan's one? Bit of a fail isn't it. 3/10

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Good, The Bad, and The Dreadful: Sporting Statues.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 11:38:15 pm »
Quite like this one of Sir Stanley Mathews:

Not too keen on one of Dorothy Round:

And this is just pathetic: Poor sod has had some truly dreadful ones.

Ronaldo

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:47:42 am »
The Marco Materazzi one outside the Pompidou also featuring Zinedine Zidane  is still my favourite

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:59:19 am »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 08:36:10 am »
The Bobby Robson one is ace :D   [edit - agh that isn't him :D]

My favourite is Bruce Lee in Kowloon

I wasn't impressed with Rushie's likeness at Nike HQ but they've got a decent Ronaldo

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:49:53 am by kavah »

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:12:30 am »
Just did a quick google and i'm liking this one of Wilt Chamberlain

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 11:24:09 am »
Agree with Andy on the MJ @ The Cottage

Also:

Andy Murray

Ferguson
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 12:57:02 pm »

I wasn't impressed with Rushie's likeness at Nike HQ but they've got a decent Ronaldo

Looks more like Stalin than Rushie
JFT 96

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 03:08:41 pm »
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 04:03:00 pm »
#Sausages

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 04:30:52 pm »
Still laughing about this one, years later. Of course it doesn't help that I strongly dislike the University of Texas. But they put these bad boys up in 2010 and they were quickly taken down after much-deserved mockery and abuse about how terrible they were. Identical statues with identical terrified, running-for-their-lives, wild eyed faces.

Honestly, some of the photoshop jobs that came of this debacle were even better than the actual statues themselves:

You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 10:30:34 pm »
Merely updating the records.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 02:27:47 am »

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 06:39:55 am »

[emoji3]

Anyone got the picture of the reveal to the man himself, looking at it like "what the fuck?!"

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 02:06:10 pm »
The Stanley Matthews ones are amazing.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 04:23:27 pm »
'kinell...that Rushie one!  :lmao

and the Andy Murray ones a bit...mourinho
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 04:25:13 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 04:40:42 pm »
I remember seeing that Southampton one online when it was unveiled.

It was like a homage to a hobbit,Someone stole a living getting paid to sculpture that statue with tiny legs and arms...WTF!!
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 05:04:45 pm »
Love big Jacks statue in Cork airport, not least cos it depicts him doing something he loved other than footie

YNWA

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 06:00:03 pm »
The Sir Tom Finney one at Preston's ground is good

We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 06:02:04 pm »
I've always found sculpting to be less difficult to painting, or drawing for that matter. You don't have to worry about perspective, composition, chiaroscuro. All that stuff. If you've a decent understanding of anatomy, which is factored into the pose, then you've no excuses to fucking one up. What's hilarious is that the artists working on some of those terrible ones can't spot the fact that a head is absolutely massive, or the sculpt has tiny hands, or short legs. What's worse is that no one pointed it out and give the thumbs up for it to be cast and revealed.  I think the artist that made that recent Ronaldo one had to be taking the piss. There's no way he looked at those eyes and said "Yep, a human beings really are that close together. Looks grand!"

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 06:04:31 pm »
I've always found sculpting to be less difficult to painting, or drawing for that matter. You don't have to worry about perspective, composition, chiaroscuro. All that stuff. If you've a decent understanding of anatomy, which is factored into the pose, then you've no excuses to fucking one up. What's hilarious is that the artists working on some of those terrible ones can't spot the fact that a head is absolutely massive, or the sculpt has tiny hands, or short legs. What's worse is that no one pointed it out and give the thumbs up for it to be cast and revealed.  I think the artist that made that recent Ronaldo one had to be taking the piss. There's no way he looked at those eyes and said "Yep, a human beings really are that close together. Looks grand!"

You never seen Alberto Aquilaini?

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 06:30:31 pm »
Lev Yashin at the Dinamo Stadium.

The stadium is no more apparently, but I can't find out if the statue has been moved or stayed put. Dinamo's new stadium is being named after him so I'm guessing the statue will be there?

Firmly in the "good" category.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 06:37:59 pm »
Hollywood save.  Clearly going over the bar.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 06:44:38 pm »
Totally agree. Who the hell are they commissioning for these?! 80% of footballing statues look dreadful. Our Fergie one is a bit shit for me, but the holy trinity one is great.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 06:45:46 pm »
You never seen Alberto Aquilaini?

As my brother in law says " he's got eyes like racing dogs bollocks "

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 06:45:59 pm »
Hollywood save.  Clearly going over the bar.
;D

Looks like the goalposts were modelled on Wembley in 1977...just after the Scots had had a look round.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 06:47:51 pm »
the holy trinity one is great.
must admit, it's a pretty good one

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 07:26:22 pm »
Bobby Orr's Stanley Cup goal

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:28:08 pm by kavah »

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #28 on: April 1, 2017, 04:06:51 am »

Anyone got the picture of the reveal to the man himself, looking at it like "what the fuck?!"

Sculptor Emanuel Santos:

"I had the chance to talk to Cristiano Ronaldo to find out what he thought and he told me he liked it."

"Cristiano only asked me to change some prominent wrinkles which made him appear older, to remove them so as to make it look smoother and happier."

"Making a likeness of a public person is a challenge, especially if they are not on hand to take measurements."

"Every work is subject to critics, you can't please the Greeks and the Trojans, a sculpture is a sculpture, a photocopy is a photocopy."

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #29 on: April 1, 2017, 06:08:00 pm »
The Sir Tom Finney one at Preston's ground is good

It is good one... when you see some of the laughable ones above  ;D
when the water is turned on (recreating 'The Splash') ... every now & then the kids put washing up liquid in it  ;D   .. little feckers  8)
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #30 on: April 1, 2017, 06:22:16 pm »
I remember as a kid, one of my uncles gave me a tattered old footie annual of his from the 50s and that picture of Finney was in it. I asked my dad about it and he told me that Finney was even better than Matthews (but not as good as Liddell  ;) )
He is one player deserving of a statue (Shanks favourite as well)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 2, 2017, 09:17:56 am »

"Wearing the Benfica shirt is an honor for any player. Some players, and not that many, have honored the sweater as much as she honored them. Others, even rarer, manage to give Benfica more than Benfica gives them. To these, the club lifts a statue at the stadium door. That's why there's only one there."

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 08:29:22 pm »

Sculptor Emanuel Santos

He has unveiled another bronze sculpture.    :lmao

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 10:08:14 pm »
He should probably stick to making pottery.

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 10:25:18 pm »

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #35 on: June 2, 2017, 11:40:10 am »

He has unveiled another bronze sculpture.    :lmao

God I hate Paddypower.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2017, 08:45:28 pm »
New Maradona statue in Kolkata

Comparisons so far have been made with Bobby Ewing, Larry Bird and Cilla Black.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2017, 09:08:34 pm »
Hahaha at those Texan ones.

Herbert Chapman and Stanley Matthews ones are fantastic.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2017, 09:55:04 pm »
Can't bear some of them.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 09:58:49 pm »
New Maradona statue in Kolkata

Comparisons so far have been made with Bobby Ewing, Larry Bird and Cilla Black.

Or Benny from Crossroads