Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2016-17  (Read 254569 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2016-17
« Reply #320 on: October 7, 2016, 01:48:45 pm »
Biggest takeaway from showing LY's table is that none of the teams finished where they stood at after the same amount of games.  Gotta take it all with a pinch of salt but it does look good for us so far!  Just need to keep the momentum going.

Yes, at this point last season it was beginning to look like a two horse race between the Manchester clubs. As we all know, that's not how it turned out. We're still in the foothills of the season and everything is up for grabs.

There are still 93 points available to every team in the league. It's a common observation that "we'll know more after" any given incident, the next game, the end of the month, Christmas, the next big game between sides at the top, but the truth is that the shape of the season unfolds game by game, you can never predict the twists and turns ahead, you can just see where everyone lies at the moment.

That's something I love about the APLT, it makes no predictions but instead offers a benchmark to measure against at any time. So far, so good. If we want to challenge for the title we have done exactly what you would need to, but there's a lot of football still to be played.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #321 on: October 7, 2016, 05:42:39 pm »
I took a look at Leicester last year. After seven they were fifth in the APLT on -5. It was week 7 when they're form really picked up, and they played to par for the next seven weeks.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #322 on: October 13, 2016, 01:40:44 pm »
Preview for this weekend(+monday) please?
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #323 on: October 14, 2016, 02:36:40 am »
Preview for this weekend(+monday) please?

If Man United beat us the graph looks like an absolute murder scene. So us beating them is all that matters mate ;)

Edit: Fairly certain most other teams have home games, so they need to win to keep their line level, else they'll drop 2 or 3 points on the graph.

Chelsea vs Leicester - is a par three for Chelsea and a par one for Leicester if we are keeping Leicester in the race which is the early game at 12:30.
Arsenal par 3 vs Swansea at home at 3pm.
Man City have Everton at home in another par 3 at 3pm.
Spurs have to travel to West Brom away in another par 3- but an away game for what it's worth- again at Saturday 3pm.

^^ So if any of the teams (bar Leicester) fail to win, it's -2 for a draw and -3 for a loss. They maintain their line with a win, they can only match 0 but that's obviously a good result. A Leicester win = +2, Draw = 0 and loss = -1 for them, but they sit 12th and could well be removed from the table.

We're the only team with a par 3 home game (bar Chelsea) that is against another team that has a par 1 opportunity with a chance to gain points - which is the Mancs.

Which again, like I've said here, and on whats app, and on twitter and on various threads, means a win is really important here. A win  means we can stick Man United down a point, and be level during the game week no matter what Arsenal, City, Spurs and Chelsea do and stay above the title winning line. A Leicester win gives them 2 points if that matters at this stage. Any win against the Mancs, is worth just as much as an Arsenal win vs Swansea, City vs Everton or Chelsea vs Leicester - it's just a home win for this model afterall.

If we lose, then we lose 3 points on this, and the Mancs gain 2 points which as I'm sure you understand is a 5 point swing and pretty dramatic and means I'll be on the vodka for the rest of the week. A draw would see us drop 2 points and Man United stay on their current total.

Basically, if we win, we've got through the one gameweek where everyone is expected to win, and got one of our hardest par 3's out the way. We stay on +3 above title winning form and the Mancs drop yet another point on this. E.G If we win on Monday, you should join me on the party bus H.  ;D 8)

I'm sure Nessy could do better but that's the basics :wave
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:15:36 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #324 on: October 14, 2016, 02:57:50 am »

Finally, should Man United beat us, for what it's worth, we would still remain 3 points ahead of them in this table even though we would have lost. Although we would have played 4 par 1 games so far and they would have played only 2 (us being their second). So we'd be three points ahead in this, level in the real table, but they would have two more par 1's over the season to gain ground in this table.

After Man United, we have three more Par 3 games, so we have to be perfect for the next four games else we will drop points in the table. After the next four games we'll have another chance to gain points vs Southampton away. They have Chelsea and Swansea away in the next four, which are chances to gain ground, although obviously the whole idea of the model is that Chelsea/Swansea away should be difficult games.

Long story short, basically, just beat these twats and start aiming for the stars by making sure we start picking up 3 points in the par 3 games we're expected to win via the model against West Brom at Home, Palace Away and Watford at Home :wave

I keep talking about the title, but I'm always a bit head in the clouds. If we finish above the Mancs, I think we have a great chance of getting 4th (and a real chance to aim higher), so my main concern is making sure in the game at Anfield we don't allow them any points and if we can, we push them back a point. Obviously beating them means we keep them 3 points behind and extend our lead to 3 with them having a game at Chelsea away (in the real table).

It's only the 8th game and people are welcome to disagree with me as all the league games are important, but I think we can do real damage to them and Jose with a win in this one, just as they can to us if they manage to win, it's gonna be an interesting game.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:12:11 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline xosder

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #325 on: October 14, 2016, 04:10:59 am »
Finally, should Man United beat us, for what it's worth, we would still remain 3 points ahead of them in this table even though we would have lost.

I believe we stay 4 points above them since they can only get to -4 with a win and we would be on 0 with a loss.  With that said, come Tuesday morning, I expect a 10 point lead over them in the APLT. :)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: October 14, 2016, 10:27:33 am »
If Man United beat us the graph looks like an absolute murder scene. So us beating them is all that matters mate ;)

Edit: Fairly certain most other teams have home games, so they need to win to keep their line level, else they'll drop 2 or 3 points on the graph.

Chelsea vs Leicester - is a par three for Chelsea and a par one for Leicester if we are keeping Leicester in the race which is the early game at 12:30.
Spurs have to travel to West Brom away in another par 3- but an away game for what it's worth- again at Saturday 3pm.

^^ So if any of the teams (bar Leicester) fail to win, it's -2 for a draw and -3 for a loss. They maintain their line with a win, they can only match 0 but that's obviously a good result. A Leicester win = +2, Draw = 0 and loss = -1 for them, but they sit 12th and could well be removed from the table.

We're the only team with a par 3 home game (bar Chelsea) that is against another team that has a par 1 opportunity with a chance to gain points - which is the Mancs.

Which again, like I've said here, and on whats app, and on twitter and on various threads, means a win is really important here. A win  means we can stick Man United down a point, and be level during the game week no matter what Arsenal, City, Spurs and Chelsea do and stay above the title winning line. A Leicester win gives them 2 points if that matters at this stage. Any win against the Mancs, is worth just as much as an Arsenal win vs Swansea, City vs Everton or Chelsea vs Leicester - it's just a home win for this model afterall.

If we lose, then we lose 3 points on this, and the Mancs gain 2 points which as I'm sure you understand is a 5 point swing and pretty dramatic and means I'll be on the vodka for the rest of the week. A draw would see us drop 2 points and Man United stay on their current total.

Basically, if we win, we've got through the one gameweek where everyone is expected to win, and got one of our hardest par 3's out the way. We stay on +3 above title winning form and the Mancs drop yet another point on this. E.G If we win on Monday, you should join me on the party bus H.  ;D 8)

Thanks mate. Got a ton of work this week so no preview but I get to eat and stuff.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #327 on: October 14, 2016, 02:39:20 pm »

Cheers Tom!
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #328 on: October 14, 2016, 07:08:18 pm »
Great stuff. Thanks guys.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: October 15, 2016, 04:59:49 pm »
Man City drop 2 points to move to 3
Arsenal remain on -1
Spurs drop 2 points to move to -2
Chelsea remain on -2
Leicester drop 1 point to move to -10

Whatever happens on Monday we will be 2nd in this table and Man Utd will be 6th
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #330 on: October 15, 2016, 05:03:51 pm »
Yes, a win for us on Monday and we're level.

Beat Man U by 4 and we go top of the real table!
You try me once you beg for more.

Online KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #331 on: October 15, 2016, 05:24:45 pm »
Beat Man U by 4 and we go top of the real table!

Actually, by 3.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: October 15, 2016, 05:30:28 pm »
Here's the chart as of today.

Just keeps on getting better with each week.  :D

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: October 15, 2016, 05:38:42 pm »

Whatever happens on Monday we will be 2nd in this table and Man Utd will be 6th

Actually, currently Man U are 8th in the table as Southampton and Crystal Palace are above them at the moment (-4 and -6 respectively). Their games are par 1's so Man U can overtake them depending on results over the next 48 hours.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: October 15, 2016, 06:00:52 pm »
Actually, currently Man U are 8th in the table as Southampton and Crystal Palace are above them at the moment (-4 and -6 respectively). Their games are par 1's so Man U can overtake them depending on results over the next 48 hours.

Yeah I meant out of Prof's original table of teams, I couldn't be arsed checking other teams  ;D
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: October 15, 2016, 06:02:30 pm »
Yeah I know, it's just I love knocking down Man U given half a chance  ;)

Offline cookie-monster

• Anny Roader
  • Attack is the best form of defence
« Reply #336 on: October 15, 2016, 06:27:19 pm »
um. beginner in this and i don't think i absorbed it all yet but Q:

PL winners always ends up top of this table as well?
irc://irc.centralchat.net:6667/LFC

"Gentlemen, the screwballs have spoken!"  - The Simpsons

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: October 15, 2016, 06:34:46 pm »

Yes. As you approach the end of the season, the tables fall into line.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: October 15, 2016, 07:28:06 pm »

Yes, both tables are identical at the end of the season.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #339 on: October 16, 2016, 02:56:44 am »
Here's the chart as of today.

Just keeps on getting better with each week.  :D
Win against United:

Liverpool    +3
Man City     +3
Arsenal       -1
Spurs          -2
Chelsea      -2
Man Utd      -7

Draw against United:

Man City     +3
Liverpool    +1
Arsenal       -1
Spurs          -2
Chelsea      -2
Man Utd      -6

Lose against United:

Man City     +3
Liverpool     0
Arsenal       -1
Spurs          -2
Chelsea      -2
Man Utd      -4

Currently the difference in the APLT is 9 pts, and after the game it will either be 10 points, 7 points, or 4 points.

We'll remain 2nd in the APLT no matter what happens, but in the actual PLT the difference between winning 3-0 and losing 2-0 is being 1st and 6th after 8 games.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:56:20 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2016, 03:23:54 am »
I was busy today so didn't see the matches. Surprised City dropped points. Even more surprised at Spurs. We don't NEED to, but I'm really hoping we can take advantage of the way today's results worked out. This is the best we've looked in both the real and alternative tables for a long time.

Thank you JCB for the rolling updates. Much appreciated.

Offline cookie-monster

• Anny Roader
  • Attack is the best form of defence
« Reply #341 on: October 16, 2016, 06:00:18 am »
thanks for the answers guys

irc://irc.centralchat.net:6667/LFC

"Gentlemen, the screwballs have spoken!"  - The Simpsons

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2016, 08:16:48 am »
I was busy today so didn't see the matches. Surprised City dropped points. Even more surprised at Spurs. We don't NEED to, but I'm really hoping we can take advantage of the way today's results worked out. This is the best we've looked in both the real and alternative tables for a long time.

Thank you JCB for the rolling updates. Much appreciated.
City battered Everton and missed a penalty... but, a result is a result. Perhaps what we're seeing is the end of the new-manager bounce and their results will be slightly more varied from now on?

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2016, 10:51:45 am »
City battered Everton and missed a penalty... but, a result is a result. Perhaps what we're seeing is the end of the new-manager bounce and their results will be slightly more varied from now on?

Missed 2 pens mate/ had 2 pens saved.
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #344 on: October 16, 2016, 11:32:49 am »
It's very important we don't lose this game. I remember in 2014-15, when we had an upturn of form and we were looking like we would make 4th according to APLT and then we lost the game at Anfield which was a 5 point swing in their favor that started our downfall in missing out on Top 4 that season. There is more time of course this season to recover, but if we don't allow that 5 point swing to a rival, we'll be in a comfortable position.

We can win this game, but a draw also looks favorable to us at this point of time, even if it is a -2 by the end of it.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2016, 09:24:10 pm »
Such a massive game. Win this game and we'll be 10 points ahead of them in the APLT. Lets quash the talk of drawing or 'not being the end if the world' of we lose. We need to win this to keep momentum and completely shatter the confidence of them lot. A lose is unthinkable after such a good start. Lets win. The end.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #346 on: October 17, 2016, 10:00:08 pm »
APLT (after 8 games)
Man City     +3
Liverpool    +1
Arsenal       -1
Spurs          -2
Chelsea      -2
Man Utd      -6

Real PL Table (after 8 games)

Pts    GD
Man City     19      11
Arsenal      19      10
Spurs         18      9
Liverpool    17      8
Chelsea     16       6
Everton      15      6
Man Utd     14      5

In the mix having played 4 of the top teams (3 away) already.

Gameweek 9:

Spurs @ Bournemouth (Par 3)
Arsenal vs Middlesbourgh (Par 3)
Everton @ Burnley (Par 3)
Liverpool vs West Brom (Par 3)
Man City vs Southampton (Par 3)
Chelsea vs Man Utd (Par 3)
Man Utd @ Chelsea (Par 1)

Guaranteed to make up ground on at least 1 rival with a win vs West Brom.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #347 on: October 17, 2016, 10:00:30 pm »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: October 17, 2016, 10:02:04 pm »
Bit of a drop, but still above the 90 points line, and I think we'll hover at or above it for much of the season.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #349 on: October 17, 2016, 10:03:19 pm »
Bit of a drop, but still above the 90 points line, and I think we'll hover at or above it for much of the season.
Better than dropping points against Everton or West Brom...

Or on second thought, maybe not  ::)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: October 17, 2016, 10:08:43 pm »
Better than dropping points against Everton or West Brom...

Or on second thought, maybe not  ::)

United won't be much of a threat to us this season, I can see us challenging for top four at least whilst United will probably end up fifth or sixth.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #351 on: October 17, 2016, 10:10:50 pm »
Pissed about dropping points today, but consider the start we had - Arse, Chelsea, Spurs away and United home. These are half of the games we played so far. If we perform against the lesser team, we'd win it.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline jb2319

• Main Stander
« Reply #352 on: October 17, 2016, 10:19:33 pm »
After the Swansea game I thought that if we could make it to the next Par 1 (Southampton) without dropping into minus figures, we would be doing very well. Tonight's result is disappointing, but provided we make the most of the next 3 winnable games, it won't matter. Important thing was to avoid defeat, as negative as that sounds.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: October 17, 2016, 10:43:09 pm »
Pissed about dropping points today, but consider the start we had - Arse, Chelsea, Spurs away and United home. These are half of the games we played so far. If we perform against the lesser team, we'd win it.

I suppose at the start of the season you would take 6 points (3 draws, 1 win) beforehand. In the end we took 8.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: October 17, 2016, 11:10:59 pm »
The flip side to consider is that at OT they'll be expected to fight for the win, which will play into our hands if they do.  If not, I'll take another draw at their place.

They will take this as evidence that they are solidifying things.  Let them cling to such false crumbs of comfort.  They can't do it every week.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #355 on: October 18, 2016, 07:23:14 am »
APLT Full Table : Round 8
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #356 on: October 18, 2016, 07:24:22 am »
LFC Current & Projected Form : Round 8
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #357 on: October 18, 2016, 02:21:28 pm »
It is what it is. A better result for United, but if you'd offered me the opportunity to be ahead of par at this stage of the season, I would've taken it. Job done for the first eight games, now let's do it for the next 30.

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: October 18, 2016, 02:54:49 pm »
APLT Full Table : Round 8

Just noticed that my APLT lists Bournemouth as on -7 (everything else is exactly the same). I tracked it down to the Watford game. Are Watford a Par 3 or a par 1?

Edit: Just checked the Prof's opening post. I think you have Watford as a par 1 for that game when they should be a par 3.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:00:03 pm by JCB »

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #359 on: October 18, 2016, 08:30:31 pm »
Just noticed that my APLT lists Bournemouth as on -7 (everything else is exactly the same). I tracked it down to the Watford game. Are Watford a Par 3 or a par 1?

Edit: Just checked the Prof's opening post. I think you have Watford as a par 1 for that game when they should be a par 3.

This was addressed and covered in last years APLT, but for your benefit.

Prof’s premise has always been that in order for a team to tally 90 log points in the season, they need to win their 19 Home matches (19 x 3 = 57) plus the seven easiest Away matches (7 x 3 = 21) and draw their remaining 12 Away matches (12 x 1 = 12), resulting in a total tally of 90 log points.  Given that Prof has always limited his APLT analysis to the “top” seven teams, the seven easiest Away matches have naturally been those teams finishing in log positions 14 to 20 (inclusive) from last year’s Premier League Table. [3 relegated teams replaced with 3 promoted teams].

However, to include the last seven teams from last year in Prof’s APLT analysis the points tally will compute as follows; (19 x 3 = 57) + (6 x 3 = 18) + (13 x 1 = 13) resulting in a total tally of 88 log points.

This is ‘workable’ but if the APLT methodology is confusing to a large number now, it will cause much gnashing of teeth if we were to introduce a total par tally of 90 for thirteen teams and another total par tally of 88 for seven teams.  So, keeping in mind Prof's founding principle that in order for a team to win the title that team needs to tally 90 log points, I have simply introduced the following caveat to my APLT logic.

In order for a team to tally 90 log points in the season, they need to win their 19 Home matches plus the seven easiest Away matches, (the three promoted teams and the four lowest ranked teams, excluding oneself, from the previous season) and draw their remaining Away matches.  The resultant effect being that teams 1 to 12 need to only draw Away to the team that finished in 13th position (Watford) last year, while teams
14 to 20 need to win against Watford.

Teams 1 to 13: (19 x 3 = 57) + (7 x 3 = 21) + (12 x 1 = 12) = 90
Teams 14 to 20: (19 x 3 = 57) + (7 x 3 = 21) + (12 x 1 = 12) = 90

We are now back to square one and all 20 teams can be included and ensure that the Full APLT Table marries up to the Full Traditional Table at the end of the Season.