Author Topic: Ragnar Klavan  (Read 132825 times)

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool complete deal to sign Ragnar Klavan
« Reply #600 on: December 27, 2017, 02:35:53 pm »
he was a leader and stand out player for Augsburg and captains his national team if im not wrong...

Klopp did great by getting him after the matches against Augsburg in EL... very good option to have and currently starting over much more expensive player..

this proves there are plenty cheaper options in other leagues compared to mostly overpriced players in PL.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: December 27, 2017, 03:26:15 pm »
He's more than serviceable and it's showing.  I am sure there are interviews with him where he said that last season was difficult getting up to speed with the pace of the prem.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #602 on: December 27, 2017, 09:24:07 pm »
Has been very good since he got back in the team against Spartak. Above Lovren in the pecking order surely.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: December 27, 2017, 09:28:02 pm »
"I've heard that people have been talking about (Ragnar) Klavan as our fourth option (at centre-back).

“Wait and see him play and then tell me again that he should wait until all the others are injured or something.”

Klopp on Klavan when he signed. Says it all really.

Online Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: December 27, 2017, 09:41:55 pm »
"I've heard that people have been talking about (Ragnar) Klavan as our fourth option (at centre-back).

“Wait and see him play and then tell me again that he should wait until all the others are injured or something.”

Klopp on Klavan when he signed. Says it all really.
All of a sudden, with the addition of VVD, we look to have a very decent depth in terms of our CBs.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #605 on: December 27, 2017, 09:46:24 pm »
Against Swansea was one of his better games. Hes quite solid at the back, has the obvious problem of marking a quick and flashy forward but for the price we got him we definitely got our moneys worth.
Seen us win everything

Offline Samvice

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #606 on: December 27, 2017, 10:02:13 pm »
Really hope Klavi will be given a new contract soon.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: December 27, 2017, 10:05:09 pm »
Really hope Klavi will be given a new contract soon.

I'd be very surprised if that happened. He'll be 33 when his current one expires, I reckon he'll probably stay until it expires and then be allowed to move on with Gomez hopefully establishing himself by then.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #608 on: December 27, 2017, 10:34:04 pm »
Reminds me of Stephane Henchez. Good man to man marker, loves a tackle, decent passer into midfield and compliments a more naturally talented partner. Shrewd signing from Klopp.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Claude Cat

• Sworn Enemy of Pawed Dog!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #609 on: December 27, 2017, 10:43:19 pm »
Proper good squad option

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: December 27, 2017, 10:44:36 pm »
Been our best CB recently, just gets the job done, no nonsense stuff!

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #611 on: December 27, 2017, 10:59:32 pm »
He has surprised me by seeming really mobile in recent matches, that and reading the game well make him very decent when playing behind an attack8ng tam. He doesn’t look so good when we are on the back foot.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #612 on: December 27, 2017, 11:00:31 pm »
Reminds me of Stephane Henchez. Good man to man marker, loves a tackle, decent passer into midfield and compliments a more naturally talented partner. Shrewd signing from Klopp.
No not for me.  Henchoz was a good goalie too  ;)

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: December 28, 2017, 01:01:15 pm »
Decent squad player, would rather keep him than Lovren in the summer.
Justice for the 96!

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: December 28, 2017, 01:41:28 pm »

Yes I agree with you regarding keep sell Lovren, I think he has been great for a good few games of late.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #615 on: December 28, 2017, 01:46:40 pm »

I think Ragnar would be fine in that role too - cos it is after all what he was brought here to be. Lovren won't be so willing to be a bench warmer getting occassional games I don't reckon, and with Gomez available too in that position (cos I would hope Clyne is back fit next season), there will be a central defender moving on in the summer you'd think.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #616 on: December 28, 2017, 04:05:13 pm »
Some weird thinking in here, unless we sign another senior centre back in the summer we shouldn’t be selling any. We’ve finally got some strength in depth and people would sell.........
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #617 on: December 28, 2017, 04:13:04 pm »
Some weird thinking in here, unless we sign another senior centre back in the summer we shouldn’t be selling any. We’ve finally got some strength in depth and people would sell.........

Strength in depth is a bit of a myth if the depth isn't strong.

I'd expect us to bring in a more long-term prospect like Akanji in the summer with one of, perhaps both, Klavan or Lovren moving on in the summer.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #618 on: December 28, 2017, 04:16:26 pm »
Strength in depth is a bit of a myth if the depth isn't strong.

I'd expect us to bring in a more long-term prospect like Akanji in the summer with one of, perhaps both, Klavan or Lovren moving on in the summer.
But it’s not a myth. VVD will be first choice, Matip, Klavan and Lovren are all of a similar standard and they’re all Premier League quality.

Gomez is our young prospect at centre back so I doubt we’d buy another.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: December 28, 2017, 04:19:34 pm »
But it’s not a myth. VVD will be first choice, Matip, Klavan and Lovren are all of a similar standard and they’re all Premier League quality.

Gomez is our young prospect at centre back so I doubt we’d buy another.

They're Premier League quality but they're not all top four quality. Matip and Lovren on their day arguably are, but they have a habit of picking up injuries and illness more often than you'd like from a centre-half, and they're not very consistent either.

We'll see how they blend with VVD and perform over the next half-season, but the interest in Akanji appears genuine. I don't see Klavan or Lovren as being here for the long-term.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #620 on: December 28, 2017, 04:22:34 pm »
They're Premier League quality but they're not all top four quality. Matip and Lovren on their day arguably are, but they have a habit of picking up injuries and illness more often than you'd like from a centre-half, and they're not very consistent either.

We'll see how they blend with VVD and perform over the next half-season, but the interest in Akanji appears genuine. I don't see Klavan or Lovren as being here for the long-term.
How can they not be top four quality when we finished top four last season and we're top four this season.

To repeat my original comment, it’d be nuts to sell any of the current senior centre backs.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: December 28, 2017, 04:26:21 pm »
How can they not be top four quality when we finished top four last season and we're top four this season.

To repeat my original comment, it’d be nuts to sell any of the current senior centre backs.

I think most people would argue that we got top 4 last season despite our defense, not because of it. And arguably the same case for this season, as well.

Would any of the other top 4-5 teams take Lovren or Matip? Think that's the bigger question.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: December 28, 2017, 04:27:44 pm »

We finished top four because the brilliance of our front four (Lallana, Mané, Coutinho, Firmino) in the first half of last season gave us a foothold to hold onto. It certainly wasn't our defence which got us there, even if it did latterly improve with the help of tactical tweaks from our manager.

Why do you think our manager has just spent £75m on a defender? He sees him as an upgrade. Do you think he's sitting there with his feet up thinking "Job Done" now? We could easily upgrade Klavan or Lovren still. The same applies to our goalkeepers, who aren't top four quality either regardless of where we finished last season and sit this season. I don't think our central midfielders are either, hence Naby Keita and probably another in the summer.

It'd be nuts to sell them now, but not in the summer if we bring in someone better, or potentially better. That's literally how the transfer market works.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #623 on: December 28, 2017, 04:31:35 pm »
I think most people would argue that we got top 4 last season despite our defense, not because of it. And arguably the same case for this season, as well.

Would any of the other top 4-5 teams take Lovren or Matip? Think that's the bigger question.
It’s a silly question really, would Mangala, Phil Jones, Smalling, Cahill, Luiz, Koscielny, Rojo get into our team and play in our system? I wouldn’t take them.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #624 on: December 28, 2017, 04:40:32 pm »

Spot on.

Klavan has been a steal for us, IMO. Passes the ball better than any of our centre halves and does a decent job of tracking runners off the ball. Good in the air, too.

Seems like a really good lad, too.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #625 on: December 28, 2017, 04:40:52 pm »
We finished top four because the brilliance of our front four (Lallana, Mané, Coutinho, Firmino) in the first half of last season gave us a foothold to hold onto. It certainly wasn't our defence which got us there, even if it did latterly improve with the help of tactical tweaks from our manager.

Why do you think our manager has just spent £75m on a defender? He sees him as an upgrade. Do you think he's sitting there with his feet up thinking "Job Done" now? We could easily upgrade Klavan or Lovren still. The same applies to our goalkeepers, who aren't top four quality either regardless of where we finished last season and sit this season. I don't think our central midfielders are either, hence Naby Keita and probably another in the summer.

It'd be nuts to sell them now, but not in the summer if we bring in someone better, or potentially better. That's literally how the transfer market works.
It’s a team game. The attack is able to function so well because we were committing so many people forward. Once we got injuries towards the end of last season it was the defence that clinched us fourth place when we changed tactics and couldn’t be so gung ho and dogged games out.

You’re talking about bringing in a kid from the Swiss league and saying we can now sell two senior centre backs, it would be nuts. You’d basically have Matip and VVD as your only senior centre backs.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: December 28, 2017, 04:42:39 pm »
You’re talking about bringing in a kid from the Swiss league and saying we can now sell two senior centre backs, it would be nuts. You’d basically have Matip and VVD as your only senior centre backs.

No, I'm saying sell one of them, preferably Klavan, not both, even if I don't see either as long-term Liverpool players.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 04:45:59 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: December 28, 2017, 04:44:02 pm »
Spot on.

Klavan has been a steal for us, IMO. Passes the ball better than any of our centre halves and does a decent job of tracking runners off the ball. Good in the air, too.

Seems like a really good lad, too.

He's improved a lot in this recent spell, but he simply isn't good in the air. Everton barely constructed an attack against us and yet he still struggled under the high ball throughout the 90 mins.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: December 28, 2017, 05:05:00 pm »
this. much better on ball. and passer than lovren

Offline Claude Cat

• Sworn Enemy of Pawed Dog!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #629 on: January 1, 2018, 04:54:41 pm »
My guy :D

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: January 1, 2018, 04:54:47 pm »
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: January 1, 2018, 04:55:18 pm »
bargain...

he is most composed CB we have atm. Saved our ass today.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: January 1, 2018, 04:55:47 pm »
Ragnar Bergkamp ole ole ole!!

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: January 1, 2018, 04:57:00 pm »
His passing is excellent.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: January 1, 2018, 04:57:52 pm »
His passing is excellent.

he likes a crossfield ball doesn't he, and hits his man a couple times a game too :D

Love RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: January 1, 2018, 04:58:27 pm »
Sir Ragnar...
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: January 1, 2018, 04:58:55 pm »
If only he was a decade younger.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #637 on: January 1, 2018, 04:59:29 pm »
One of our best bargain buys in recent years. Great stuff from the big Estonian today

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: January 1, 2018, 04:59:49 pm »
Well in Ragnar!
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #639 on: January 1, 2018, 05:00:42 pm »
The goal was only just better than that scooped pass to Firmino in their box earlier on.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.