Author Topic: Adam Lallana  (Read 598182 times)

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
Re: Adam Lallana
« Reply #240 on: August 3, 2016, 04:49:41 am »
Reminds me of a poor man's version of Kagawa in terms of skill and circumstance.  Similarly good technically, but with even less end product to show for it.  For whatever reason, prolly fair to say he hasn't quite hit the heights you lot would have expected.  Sane will take his spot in the 1st XI, but he'll still likely fill a useful role as a squad player.

Wait, do you know something Man City don't?

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: August 3, 2016, 05:06:16 am »
Reminds me of a poor man's version of Kagawa in terms of skill and circumstance.  Similarly good technically, but with even less end product to show for it.  For whatever reason, prolly fair to say he hasn't quite hit the heights you lot would have expected.  Sane will take his spot in the 1st XI, but he'll still likely fill a useful role as a squad player.

Someone please post an inspiring GIF to make me understand what's happening here....

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: August 3, 2016, 06:30:17 am »
Someone please post an inspiring GIF to make me understand what's happening here....

I think he means Mane
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: August 6, 2016, 05:32:19 pm »
Would anyone support a theory that he could be deployed further back in a (attacking) midfield role, in a midfield three. Hate to use the term, but he has defined the role - the Modric role; an attacking, creative player who can put in a tackle and work hard for the team. Rogers employed Coutinho there during the 2013 season season, but for all the creativity Coutinho offered he did make the midfield lite against the top teams.

Lallana's work rate under Klopp has been outstanding, he's really stepped it up. But for all the Cryuff step overs, he still doesn't give enough creatively; be it goals, assists, crosses, pace, etc

We do seem to lack some creativity in the middle, and Lallana may offer that perfect balance. Thoughts?

Like i said, his pressing, hard work and creativity is something we could do with IN MIDFIELD. Doesn't have the quality or pace to be a winger up front.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: August 6, 2016, 06:00:07 pm »
He's such a unique player, he has incredible vision in them tight spaces in and around the box, imagine how unreal he would've been during the Sterling-Sturridge-Suarez season.... Them 3 running rings around defences with him behind, shame he came a year later.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #245 on: August 6, 2016, 06:07:06 pm »
Nice understanding between Adam, Bob and Mane
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #246 on: August 6, 2016, 06:14:17 pm »
He has been excellent today, doing quite a lot of good work centrally too.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #247 on: August 6, 2016, 08:32:59 pm »
I thoroughly enjoyed watching him in midfield 3 these two games and I would love to see him being used there in a proper competitive game. I think it`s his best position and we don`t have to watch him trying to do something that is not natural to him but seeing his wonderful technique and skills giving us edge in the midfield even against best passing team in the world.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #248 on: August 6, 2016, 08:40:24 pm »
Oitstanding today and Klopp absolutely loves him - he's going to feature a lot more than most of the pre season formations I've seen posted on here

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: August 6, 2016, 08:45:04 pm »
Quintessential Klopper.

So important to our balance and pressing game.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #250 on: August 6, 2016, 08:45:39 pm »
Oitstanding today and Klopp absolutely loves him - he's going to feature a lot more than most of the pre season formations I've seen posted on here

Don't we all love him? That really strange combination of delicate skills and ferocious running.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: August 6, 2016, 08:46:44 pm »
If Lallana could finish, he'd be too good for us.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #252 on: August 6, 2016, 08:58:23 pm »
Says on Instagram that he is hoping to get some minutes in tomorrow's games at Mainz.
Believe

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: August 6, 2016, 09:47:54 pm »
Don't we all love him? That really strange combination of delicate skills and ferocious running.

I do - he's boss. He had an unlucky season in front of goal last year and that got him grief from some quarters but he's a top player and seeing him play deeper is really exciting

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #254 on: August 6, 2016, 09:50:12 pm »
Really impressed with him today, his positioning looked top notch - the slide for the last goal especially, but he basically made two of our goals with nippy, decent interceptions.

He's sort of been like Joe Allen for me - some quality, but never truly convinced me.

If he keeps up this sort of performance I'll be eating me words faster than the average Guardian commenter!

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #255 on: August 6, 2016, 09:50:43 pm »
I do - he's boss. He had an unlucky season in front of goal last year and that got him grief from some quarters but he's a top player and seeing him play deeper is really exciting

He didn't have an unlucky season. He had his usual season. He doesn't score much. Never has. Which is why, in my opinion, he looks better playing deeper. He's a brilliant footballer with fantastic work rate. Think he suits playing deeper a lot more than he does being a forward player. He'll be a very useful and important member of the squad this season.
Believe

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: August 6, 2016, 11:55:04 pm »
Was brilliant but i wish he would shoot more often  - seems maybe lacking confidence when in on goal, hopefully Klopp can work on that

nevertheless, if he played like that all the time id be more than happy

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #257 on: August 7, 2016, 10:12:48 am »
Said it in the game thread how he shut a lot of his critics up, did anyone even have him in their first 11 formations? He's a Klopp player to the T his pressing is invaluable, his one touch play is great and you can see him encouraging players on the pitch. Didn't Klopp say Adam was our trigger to press? It's silly to think he would not play him.

Anyway slight rant over; I enjoy watching Adam Lallana play football.

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: August 7, 2016, 10:37:41 am »
Said it in the game thread how he shut a lot of his critics up, did anyone even have him in their first 11 formations? He's a Klopp player to the T his pressing is invaluable, his one touch play is great and you can see him encouraging players on the pitch. Didn't Klopp say Adam was our trigger to press? It's silly to think he would not play him.

Anyway slight rant over; I enjoy watching Adam Lallana play football.

What critics would they be exactly? His "critics" from what I can recall didn't question his pressing or his technical ability, it was goals. Did he score and I missed it or something?

There's a huge difference between being a big fan of Lallana and thinking that he should be starting ahead of Coutinho, Firmino or Mane though. I love watching the guy play football, he's technically gifted for sure but pressing alone shouldn't be enough to get into the team. The other lads do that but they also score goals.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #259 on: August 7, 2016, 10:41:01 am »
Didn't Klopp say Adam was our trigger to press? It's silly to think he would not play him.
Will his pressing be needed vs Burnley and Hull? That`s my thing with him, against Arsenal and Spurs I think he`ll be one of the first names on the team-sheet but now that we have a lot of good options vs the likes of Burnely and Hull we can go with one-man midfield in Can and just go with 5 players in Gini, Phil, Mane, Firmino and Sturridge having a mighty go at them.

Offline UNO

• Kopite
« Reply #260 on: August 7, 2016, 11:41:49 am »
I think Adam performs much better as a midfield 3 than being an striker. His great technics is exactly what we need in midfield to keep the ball and skip through one or two players with a turn. I think he will adapt well there. As a striker he is never good enough, he tends to fluff his shots every time and seldom assists. Maybe midfield is his new position against some teams who like to flood the midfield with 4 or 5 players.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: August 7, 2016, 12:04:09 pm »
There must always be a place in our squad for a player like Lallana that had tremendous attitude, work rate, technique, vision an skill. Who knows? Maybe this year he will find those shooting boots!
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: August 7, 2016, 01:03:03 pm »
What critics would they be exactly? His "critics" from what I can recall didn't question his pressing or his technical ability, it was goals. Did he score and I missed it or something?

There's a huge difference between being a big fan of Lallana and thinking that he should be starting ahead of Coutinho, Firmino or Mane though. I love watching the guy play football, he's technically gifted for sure but pressing alone shouldn't be enough to get into the team. The other lads do that but they also score goals.

They're totally different players though.
Firmino and Mane aren't effective dropping deeper and don't help us transition up the pitch and they don't keep the ball in the final third - they're forwards and pretty direct forwards. Lallana is outstanding at these things and is effective deeper (he'sat his best in the Iniesta role basically . There's a reason Klopp keeps picking him. It's about building a team with a system that works if it was a game of 'play the players that score the most goals' we wouldn't need to pay a manager 7 million quid a year
If your question is which of Firmino, Mane or Lallana would you pick to play as a second striker or in a front 3 - Lallana is finishing 3rd every time but that's not why Klopp is picking him

Offline SlowRap

• Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #263 on: August 7, 2016, 02:23:12 pm »
Will his pressing be needed vs Burnley and Hull? That`s my thing with him, against Arsenal and Spurs I think he`ll be one of the first names on the team-sheet but now that we have a lot of good options vs the likes of Burnely and Hull we can go with one-man midfield in Can and just go with 5 players in Gini, Phil, Mane, Firmino and Sturridge having a mighty go at them.
Good point but I don't think we're at that stage of squad development whereby we can pick and choose our strongest side. For me Lallana is in the eleven if we're picking our strongest team. Where does he plays? That's up to Klopp. I think Lallana will start against the likes of Hull however if we need another option (during the game) then he will be the one sacrificed.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #264 on: August 8, 2016, 10:41:00 am »

Personally, I can't see that front five working effectively on a consistent basis. I think you need a player like Lallana, Milner or Henderson in there to do the hard running and connect midfield to attack.

Lallana over Wijnaldum for me anyway. I know Wijnaldum's new and shiny and everything, but honestly, Lallana is simply a superior footballer.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2016, 10:48:39 am by bcurtis92 »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #265 on: August 8, 2016, 10:57:17 am »
I have to admit that when doing the thing of predicting starting line ups for the new season I'd left Lallana out but his performance against Barca shows why he is such a Klopp favourite. Being the 3rd man in midfield really suited him well and I definitely think he'll be featuring heavily there this season. Whether he starts there against Arsenal or whether we go for a more 'solid' 3 of Can, Hendo and Wijnaldum is up for debate but I think he should (and will) start there.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: August 8, 2016, 11:00:15 am »
I have to admit that when doing the thing of predicting starting line ups for the new season I'd left Lallana out but his performance against Barca shows why he is such a Klopp favourite. Being the 3rd man in midfield really suited him well and I definitely think he'll be featuring heavily there this season. Whether he starts there against Arsenal or whether we go for a more 'solid' 3 of Can, Hendo and Wijnaldum is up for debate but I think he should (and will) start there.

What makes you think Wijnaldum is a more solid option than Lallana? He's a bit bulkier with a slightly better passing range but I think Lallana is a harder worker with more defensive awareness.

Personally I'd be going Lallana and Henderson ahead of Can, with Phil, Firmino and Mane up front. Think that has a really good balance to it.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #267 on: August 8, 2016, 11:17:50 am »
What makes you think Wijnaldum is a more solid option than Lallana? He's a bit bulkier with a slightly better passing range but I think Lallana is a harder worker with more defensive awareness.

Personally I'd be going Lallana and Henderson ahead of Can, with Phil, Firmino and Mane up front. Think that has a really good balance to it.

I'd just been picturing Lallana as one of the forward three options as per last season but definitely think where he played on Saturday suites him to a tee.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: August 8, 2016, 11:41:18 am »
The obsession with stats means Lallana is underated. Been excellent since Klopp came in.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: August 8, 2016, 11:42:56 am »
I'd just been picturing Lallana as one of the forward three options as per last season but definitely think where he played on Saturday suites him to a tee.

That's fair mate but let's not forget Wijnaldum was a front three player last season as well. It's very early days for him and I think it will take a bit of time for him to adapt to Klopp's methods; I thought he looked a bit sluggish and slow to react to danger in midfield against Barcelona on Saturday, which would make me nervous against Arsenal. I'd rather see him eased in myself (and earn his place) but the gaffer knows best!

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #270 on: August 8, 2016, 02:50:09 pm »

Absolutely. Since coming to Liverpool, I can't remember seeing him play centrally, even though that is where he frequently featured and impressed for Southampton. His lack of goalscoring out wide in the past has been frustrating, but I can see him making a real impact this season playing where he did against Barcelona.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #271 on: August 8, 2016, 03:12:22 pm »
The obsession with stats means Lallana is underated. Been excellent since Klopp came in.

Agreed. I have doubted him but I really liked him as a part of the midfield. He can really change pace of the game with his silky moves and awareness. While he doesn't score that much he's almost everytime involved in the goal whether it's directly or indirectly. Good player, underrated.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline psycllone

• Main Stander
  • Neo, its about time you free your mind.
« Reply #272 on: August 8, 2016, 03:41:38 pm »
Agreed. I have doubted him but I really liked him as a part of the midfield. He can really change pace of the game with his silky moves and awareness. While he doesn't score that much he's almost everytime involved in the goal whether it's directly or indirectly. Good player, underrated.
I second that. I don't know if there's any other player in the premier league who can use both his feet as well as Lallana does or can match his cruyff turns.
Your intelligence is my common sense.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #273 on: August 13, 2016, 09:51:44 am »

We've looked worse in games like Hull, remember under Rodgers? Games when our pressing and defensive cohesion wasn't the same and we conceded cheap goals. That kind of five attacker mindset was employed by Rodgers and failed quite often, like Aston Villa 2-2 etc.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #274 on: August 13, 2016, 10:49:44 am »
We've looked worse in games like Hull, remember under Rodgers? Games when our pressing and defensive cohesion wasn't the same and we conceded cheap goals. That kind of five attacker mindset was employed by Rodgers and failed quite often, like Aston Villa 2-2 etc.
These teams like Burnley and Hull won`t allow you to press them, they`ll kick it long every time you try to close them down. That`s why Lallana is invaluable in these games like Arsenal because these kind of teams will try to play football against us and pass through us; against the lesser teams you`re going to dominate the ball regardless of whether you go with 2 or 3 CMs, so for me the most sensible solution would be to go with Can as a one-man midfield (like against Villareal) and get 5 guys ahead of him who are better than Lallana at making runs into the box and finishing.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2016, 08:13:39 am »

If you playing in attacking position then you have to deliver numbers.
The position he played against Barca (central midfield 3) you can get away with a relatively low return.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2016, 09:36:50 am »
If you playing in attacking position then you have to deliver numbers.
The position he played against Barca (central midfield 3) you can get away with a relatively low return.

Think he deserves a spot in midfield, been really impressed with his pressing and ability to start attacks from deep.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2016, 05:59:26 pm »
A goal!!! :D

Offline SlowRap

• Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2016, 06:11:09 pm »
Making his critics eat humble pie game after game

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2016, 06:12:34 pm »
Poor first half, brilliant goal though and ended up having a pretty good all round game.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.