Author Topic: Are there any physicists here?  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
Are there any physicists here?
« on: March 9, 2016, 12:27:41 pm »
I have a question that I want to ask, but I am sure it is stupid. So rather than publically humiliate myself, can I IM one of you smart folk.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: Are there any physicists here?
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2016, 12:30:27 pm »
Ha ha just fucking post it up. You can always delete it if it's really bad Baldrick! :wave

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2016, 12:31:53 pm »
Are there any doctors on rawk?

You sure it's for the "technology" part of the site?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2016, 12:33:42 pm »
Has someone been at the diesel oil again? ;D :wave

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2016, 12:56:22 pm »
Ha ha just fucking post it up. You can always delete it if it's really bad Baldrick! :wave

Have you seen some of the shite on here :D ....do this ^

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 9, 2016, 12:59:41 pm »
Ok, you horrible lot.

So it's about gauge bosons, the graviton in particular.

Gauge bosons have been found for the other three forces, strong, weak and electromagnetic and they are the carrier particles for the associated forces. Should we expect the graviton to be sub-atomic also?

It seems like the "message" of gravity is transmitted and carried on the fabric of spacetime itself, rather than through it. So why couldn't the universe be a super expanded graviton?

The expansion phase begins with the big bang and continues. Could the lifetime of the universe simply be the expansion and possible, eventual contraction of a super expanded graviton? Seeing as it seems so intrinsically linked with space-time itself, why is this stupid?

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 9, 2016, 01:27:45 pm »
I was going to answer this....but...ummm....I think I left the iron on!

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: March 9, 2016, 01:28:54 pm »
I think the answer is 7.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 9, 2016, 01:44:41 pm »
I've messaged Gullysucker and Alan. If collectively they don't know the answer then the answer simply doesn't exist. ::) ;) ;D 8) :wave

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 9, 2016, 01:48:53 pm »
I've messaged Gullysucker and Alan. If collectively they don't know the answer then the answer simply doesn't exist. ::) ;) ;D 8) :wave

Thanks dude :D

I am sure the answer will explain why it is a ridiculous supposition, but I need to know why it's ridiculous.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #10 on: March 9, 2016, 01:49:21 pm »

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #11 on: March 9, 2016, 01:52:29 pm »
As a foremost expert in this field, I would assert that in-depth knowledge of the constant physical force that gravity exerts is imperative when attempting to gauge bosoms. The "message" of gravity is indeed transmitted and carried on the fabric, but also through it - although this message can be somewhat negated/distorted by certain particularly powerful things called bras. This is called the Strong Bra Uncertainty Principle in academic circles, first proposed and developed by these two geniuses, heroes of mine who I am honoured to also consider close personal friends:

I'd recommend not talking about the how the expansion phase begins on a public football forum in light of recent events.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 9, 2016, 01:58:08 pm »
As a foremost expert in this field, I would assert that in-depth knowledge of the constant physical force that gravity exerts is imperative when attempting to gauge bosoms. The "message" of gravity is indeed transmitted and carried on the fabric, but also through it - although this message can be somewhat negated/distorted by certain particularly powerful things called bras. This is called the Strong Bra Uncertainty Principle in academic circles, first proposed and developed by these two geniuses, heroes of mine who I am honoured to also consider close personal friends:

I'd recommend not talking about the how the expansion phase begins on a public football forum in light of recent events.

Hahahahaha - epic, greatness. Doffs cap

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 9, 2016, 02:03:46 pm »

Didn't some of their earlier work on big science include a steam powered bra? ::)

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #14 on: March 9, 2016, 02:13:18 pm »
^ I'm impressed that you know that Titi, as they are notoriously private and sensitive when it comes to sharing their bra work with the general public.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 9, 2016, 02:27:11 pm »
^ I'm impressed that you know that Titi, as they are notoriously private and sensitive when it comes to sharing their bra work with the general public.
Well he is called Titi... so bras are relevant.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 9, 2016, 02:32:41 pm »
Ok, you horrible lot.

Gauge bosons have been found for the other three forces, strong, weak and electromagnetic and they are the carrier particles for the associated forces. Should we expect the graviton to be sub-atomic also?

It seems like the "message" of gravity is transmitted and carried on the fabric of spacetime itself, rather than through it. So why couldn't the universe be a super expanded graviton?

The expansion phase begins with the big bang and continues. Could the lifetime of the universe simply be the expansion and possible, eventual contraction of a super expanded graviton? Seeing as it seems so intrinsically linked with space-time itself, why is this stupid?

Jesus mate what a stupid question

won't even dignify it with an answer  ::)

:D

Online Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #17 on: March 9, 2016, 02:44:22 pm »
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #18 on: March 9, 2016, 03:24:54 pm »
Sorry, while I've read the usual books, it's not an area I have sufficient knowledge of or have given any great thought about to be able to give a decent answer at the moment.
Cowtownred is possible a good bet though, he might be able to answer the question, or at least know someone at Durham (I think he's currently doing Physics there as a mature student) who might be able to elaborate with a much better degree of authority.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 9, 2016, 03:31:40 pm »
Sorry, while I've read the usual books, it's not an area I have sufficient knowledge of or have given any great thought about to be able to give a decent answer at the moment.
Cowtownred is possible a good bet though, he might be able to answer the question, or at least know someone at Durham (I think he's currently doing Physics there as a mature student) who might be able to elaborate with a much better degree of authority.
I feel like Dorothy :'( :'( :'(

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #20 on: March 9, 2016, 04:06:00 pm »
Sounds like one for the letters page of the New Scientist magazine. They'd probably print it, too.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 9, 2016, 06:31:05 pm »
Clearly, if you factor in all the possibilities, and then multiply them by by the square root of pi, you get...

Ghostbusters 2.

Obviously.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 9, 2016, 07:38:53 pm »
Ok, you horrible lot.

The theory is that gravitons are elementary particles and as such cannot be 'super expanded' and contain other known particles.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2016, 07:41:20 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #23 on: March 9, 2016, 07:46:33 pm »
Yep....

Don't even vaguely understand the question ;D

Interestingly though, the new particle that may (may) have been discovered at the LHC....

Some are speculating that it may be responsible for Gravity...

To be honest though, if it doesn't involve electrons, then I'm out ;D

Electrons rule ;)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #24 on: March 9, 2016, 07:56:03 pm »
Yep....

Don't even vaguely understand the question ;D

Interestingly though, the new particle that may (may) have been discovered at the LHC....

Some are speculating that it may be responsible for Gravity...

To be honest though, if it doesn't involve electrons, then I'm out ;D

Electrons rule ;)

Nah, neutrinos are where it's at.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #25 on: March 9, 2016, 07:58:26 pm »
It's all about the chemistry you see
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 9, 2016, 08:03:52 pm »
See, I was right. Wrong part of the site, better answers in the boozer section!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 9, 2016, 08:04:23 pm »
Nah, neutrinos are where it's at.

And oxides

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 08:37:56 am »
The theory is that gravitons are elementary particles and as such cannot be 'super expanded' and contain other known particles.

Indeed, so this would be completely contrary to current model, which is why I am sure it is a stupid question, but it has been on my mind for the best part of a decade.

Also it's my understanding that zero mass particles must travel through space at light speed and therefore zero speed through time, like a photon. Surely we would be able to track a zero mass particle at such high velocity.

For me it's the fact that we haven't found something we are sure should be there, perhaps we should stop looking at the micro and look at the macro.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 09:00:20 am »
I have emailed cowtownred, I hope he wont mind, honestly folks, this has been driving me nuts for years, but I am useless at calculus and advance math, so I lack the tools to prove myself wrong.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 09:47:12 am »
I have emailed cowtownred, I hope he wont mind, honestly folks, this has been driving me nuts for years, but I am useless at calculus and advance math, so I lack the tools to prove myself wrong.
If this has been going on for years then an alternate would be to take up glue sniffing or if that doesn't do the trick start smoking crack or meth. You'd soon forgot about all this physics nonsense.....and possibly everything else you've ever known ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 09:49:51 am »
If this has been going on for years then an alternate would be to take up glue sniffing or if that doesn't do the trick start smoking crack or meth. You'd soon forgot about all this physics nonsense.....and possibly everything else you've ever known ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave

That's not the worst idea I've ever heard :D

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 12:53:00 pm »
We were talking about this yesterday in our physics lecture!  Only I wasn't paying attention...  :butt  I do know that the Dr. taking the class was saying that the gauge bosons we know about (W±, photon, gluon, Z) are all of spin 1, and that the graviton is difficult to discover due to the fact that it's theorised that its spin is 2, which is a branch pretty much in its very infancy as it's related to the theoretical make-up of branes (I think? It's something I have ZERO info on bar they're of the order of something like 10-42m and involved in string theory)

I'd say try searching for "graviton" and "spin 2".
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 01:00:05 pm »
I'd say try searching for "graviton" and "spin 2".
You might need a magnifying glass though :wave

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 04:15:09 pm »
Indeed, so this would be completely contrary to current model, which is why I am sure it is a stupid question, but it has been on my mind for the best part of a decade.

Enough time for a physics degree and phd in particle physics. What have you been doing instead? :P
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 05:39:07 pm »
Haven't got a clue (I'm only Level 1  :(......  we're still on Faraday :D).

But I will ask Professor Frenk next week.  He might know.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 05:44:35 pm »
Haven't got a clue (I'm only Level 1  :(......  we're still on Faraday :D).

What is love, baby don't hurt me?