Author Topic: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC  (Read 96918 times)

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC
« Reply #360 on: January 12, 2016, 04:40:41 pm »
That's wierd u don't remember when he has a good game. He came on as sub and was very good .And no Southampton actually dominated City after the half hour so City didn't really batter them lol

And if u think Enrique can produce a similar performance at City away in CB then that's nonsense .
Enrique has produced performances a lot higher than that obviously at left back but if obviously a big if he could get used to playing centre back then of course he could.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: January 12, 2016, 04:41:23 pm »
It's a shrewd signing. Sure, it's not getting anyone moist, no one's knees are trembling, and yes, I very much doubt he'd pick you up and carry you over the threshold, but he's Prem proven and we need a centre-back. 

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #362 on: January 12, 2016, 04:42:43 pm »
Enrique has produced performances a lot higher than that obviously at left back but if obviously a big if he could get used to playing centre back then of course he could.

So Enrique has produced good performances at left back (like 2 and half years ago) so he must be able to produce good performances playing at CB. Mignolets put in a couple of good performances as goal keeper, i'm sure if we can get him used to playing as a striker he could be on Sturridge's level.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: January 12, 2016, 04:42:46 pm »
Seriously just read Klopps comments and if you cant get behind this move after that then  :butt

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: January 12, 2016, 04:44:29 pm »
If it works out it works out, if not we've not lost anything. It works for the club and it works for him to get a couple of games at Liverpool and maybe try prove he's a better player than people think he is. Win win for everyone really. He's a better option than anything we have at the moment other than Sakho if he is indeed fit to play.

Just by playing a few games for us should get him a move to a PL club next season, so I can see why he'd want to come here. Played 3 games for Liverpool as back up just sounds better than played 3 games as back up at Southampton. When everybody is fit he'll do well to make the bench, but he's willing to come here and help us out in the meantime. Unless he has a run of absolute stinkers it's hard to see how this can be bad as just by being here it reduces the need to rush back our regulars and risk re-injury. Wish him well and hope he does a solid job, that's all he needs to do, nothing fancy, just win his headers and help us keep clean sheets.

Online TobyLFC

• or not Toby LFC, that is the question
  • Kopite
  • Golf is amazing!
« Reply #365 on: January 12, 2016, 04:44:29 pm »
Welcome Steven, hope you have a great time here at LFC! :)
it comes down to reality, and it's fine with me cause I've let it slide...

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: January 12, 2016, 04:46:49 pm »
So Enrique has produced good performances at left back (like 2 and half years ago) so he must be able to produce good performances playing at CB. Mignolets put in a couple of good performances as goal keeper, i'm sure if we can get him used to playing as a striker he could be on Sturridge's level.
Many fullback's have moved to centre back or vice versa it's not like it's a huge change in position Gomez is a centre back who's played left back for us this season.I don't think Enrique will ever be a good centre back or probably even a good player again but really wouldn't care if we had him or caulker starting centre back for us as I think it'd make fuck all difference both of them aren't good enough.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:51:08 pm by 10 years on »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: January 12, 2016, 04:47:07 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:01:21 pm by Samie »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: January 12, 2016, 04:48:16 pm »
Welcome Steven.

Hope he does well during his time here.

Some of the reaction on here today has been fucking laughable and shameful, in equal measures.

Still..........I guess that's the interweb for you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:52:17 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: January 12, 2016, 04:48:38 pm »
Seriously just read Klopps comments and if you cant get behind this move after that then  :butt

The ones where he says we need a player who is good at heading a ball?

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: January 12, 2016, 04:51:04 pm »
The lack of lean is a concern... ::)

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2016, 04:51:30 pm »

Offline red_dub

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2016, 04:51:49 pm »
Few years ago I taught he was gonna be the next big English centre half as he began his career impressively. Not sure what happened since. smart move by us
Welcome Lad, this is your chance.
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

Bill Shankly

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: January 12, 2016, 04:52:12 pm »
The ones where he says we need a player who is good at heading a ball?

“It was very important for us. In our situation, four weeks ago we didn’t know we’d have a problem with centre-halves because they were all in the race.

“At the start of the season, Joe Gomez was also in the squad, so a fifth centre-half - and then the situation changed completely. Now, we’ve had to make a decision whether we wanted to get another player for the position.

“The situation is Martin Skrtel is not available for around about the next four-and-a-half weeks, five weeks. Then we have the problem with Dejan – it’s only a little muscle injury. I think he’ll be available in one to one-and-a-half weeks.

“Then you have Mama with a little knee issue – he can play, but it’s not perfect and you cannot bring him three or four times in a row throughout the season. And it’s the same for Kolo and so would mean we are always in this situation, do we have enough or not? So we thought, ‘Yes, good idea’.

“We looked for Premier League experience because in this short time, you need that experience. We looked for a good header of the ball because that’s what we need – we want to play good pressing, we want to press the opponent and so they have to play long balls. If they play long balls, you need people in the last line who can help you with headers.

“And we’ve found it with Steven Caulker. He was not in the best situation in Southampton, didn’t play too much, but this is January and we want to have the best solution for us and we are absolutely convinced that Steven is the best solution for us.

“I am looking forward to working with him. He will be here today and then we can start working, so everything is good!”

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: January 12, 2016, 04:53:04 pm »
"“Now, we’ve had to make a decision whether we wanted to get another player for the position. The situation is Martin Skrtel is not available for around about the next four-and-a-half weeks, five weeks. Then we have the problem with Dejan – it’s only a little muscle injury. I think he’ll be available in one to one-and-a-half weeks. Then you have Mama with a little knee issue – he can play, but it’s not perfect and you cannot bring him three or four times in a row throughout the season. And it’s the same for Kolo and so would mean we are always in this situation, do we have enough or not? So we thought, ‘Yes, good idea’. "

More from Klopp.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #375 on: January 12, 2016, 04:53:31 pm »
Should seriously just end the thread there ^

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #376 on: January 12, 2016, 04:55:04 pm »

Yep, the BOSS has spoken.  We should listen.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: January 12, 2016, 04:55:44 pm »
“It was very important for us. In our situation, four weeks ago we didn’t know we’d have a problem with centre-halves because they were all in the race.

“At the start of the season, Joe Gomez was also in the squad, so a fifth centre-half - and then the situation changed completely. Now, we’ve had to make a decision whether we wanted to get another player for the position.

“The situation is Martin Skrtel is not available for around about the next four-and-a-half weeks, five weeks. Then we have the problem with Dejan – it’s only a little muscle injury. I think he’ll be available in one to one-and-a-half weeks.

“Then you have Mama with a little knee issue – he can play, but it’s not perfect and you cannot bring him three or four times in a row throughout the season. And it’s the same for Kolo and so would mean we are always in this situation, do we have enough or not? So we thought, ‘Yes, good idea’.

“We looked for Premier League experience because in this short time, you need that experience. We looked for a good header of the ball because that’s what we need – we want to play good pressing, we want to press the opponent and so they have to play long balls. If they play long balls, you need people in the last line who can help you with headers.

“And we’ve found it with Steven Caulker. He was not in the best situation in Southampton, didn’t play too much, but this is January and we want to have the best solution for us and we are absolutely convinced that Steven is the best solution for us.

“I am looking forward to working with him. He will be here today and then we can start working, so everything is good!”

That's all you really need to know on the subject.

I hope this shuts the moaning cry babies up on here!

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #378 on: January 12, 2016, 04:56:52 pm »
"“Now, we’ve had to make a decision whether we wanted to get another player for the position. The situation is Martin Skrtel is not available for around about the next four-and-a-half weeks, five weeks. Then we have the problem with Dejan – it’s only a little muscle injury. I think he’ll be available in one to one-and-a-half weeks. Then you have Mama with a little knee issue – he can play, but it’s not perfect and you cannot bring him three or four times in a row throughout the season. And it’s the same for Kolo and so would mean we are always in this situation, do we have enough or not? So we thought, ‘Yes, good idea’. "

More from Klopp.

Yep, it's just common sense I guess.

Now let's apply that same logic to the striker position and bring someone in there as well.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: January 12, 2016, 04:59:47 pm »
Yep, it's just common sense I guess.

Now let's apply that same logic to the striker position and bring someone in there as well.

Agree. A similar sort of acquisition might be handy.

Let's get Rush in!

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #380 on: January 12, 2016, 04:59:55 pm »
Perfectly articulated by Klopp. Again.

Man, it's still awesome to think that he's our manager.

Offline tommackay7

• Kemlynite
« Reply #381 on: January 12, 2016, 05:00:17 pm »
not what we all wanted but is only just filling in to be honest and you never know it could turn his whole career around and so long as he gives 100% ill back him

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: January 12, 2016, 05:02:25 pm »
Ilori didn't get a mention, it's no surprise really though after the Exeter game. Personally I don't believe this move is great and lacks a bit of ambition on our part but if we have a bigger picture here and that can only get executed in the summer then so be.

If this doesn't work out and our transfers follow a similar path in the Summer then I think Klopp, the owners and the Committee are opening themselves up to a lot of criticism.

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #383 on: January 12, 2016, 05:04:43 pm »
Don't understand how you can get your knickers in a twist over a loan anyway! Costs so little to have a bit of cover in an area where we have been decimated by injuries. What's the worst that can happen?

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: January 12, 2016, 05:05:52 pm »
He isn't even that bad. 

This thread :lmao
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: January 12, 2016, 05:06:22 pm »
Good luck to the lad. If there's one thing about Klopp, it's that he's able to coach individuals to be better players.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #386 on: January 12, 2016, 05:11:57 pm »
Gotze 1.76m

.... never gonna happen .... :D
Leroy Sané is a bit taller at 1,83... so... more likely?  :wave

We will be playing Stoke soon for a chance at going to Wembley and Klopp winning us our first silverware in several years.

They will likely be playing Walters and Crouch up front that game given the change in success they had against us when these 2 came on. Which our our current match fit center halves would you feel confident of dealing with either of those threats? Lucas, Can, Toure, Enrique, Ilori? Maybe Sakho is back for that. He has a tendancy to pick up injuries though so no guarantee. Lovren is only 6 days into his recovery from a hamstring injury.

I´m very happy with this signing. I doubt he will be here much beyond june and, if he is, it´s because he has transformed into a commanding center back in our shirt and so why wouldn´t we want him?
Agree, not much to complain about here. Considering the number of crap teams who keep hurting us with a big CF (Carroll, Gestede, Lukaku, Walters/Crouch, etc) having a clogger like Caulker at the back isn't such a bad idea. Signing Caulker allows us to fight fire with fire, if you will.

If it had been a permanent transfer I could see why people would be frustrated, but it's a cheap and low-risk way to plug a desperate situation for us at CB, and he's an experienced guy who won't take time to settle.

According to transfermarkt Southampton paid a loan fee of €1.7m for him, so presumably we're now paying around half of that, plus perhaps a small admin fee to make it happen.

Being optimistic, given the way Lovren has improved under Klopp Caulker might fancy his chances of sticking around. He certainly has the height (1,91m) and aerial prowess to be a Klopp CB (whether he has the other attributes like passing, tackling, etc is highly debatable though). I don't think he'll play too much, but if he does well we could probably sign him for a pretty low fee from QPR, maybe in the £4m region, though that's very, very unlikely. Stranger things have happened though, and fwiw he is massively strong aerially and a homegrown player which is always a plus.

In any case, bet you Caulker himself wasn't expecting to be playing for Klopp a week ago! Funny how things turn out eh? ;D

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: January 12, 2016, 05:14:42 pm »

This is exactly why I wanted to hear Klopp's comments. Much sense.
Boss has spoken; 'nuff said!

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #388 on: January 12, 2016, 05:14:48 pm »
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: January 12, 2016, 05:17:00 pm »
Having read the comments from Klopp i am more optimistic of this signing. My issue isnt with us buying players who dont appear to be rated by many or anyone but more the way in which the decision to sign players take place. I have no trust in the committee but their job is to sign players with the attributes that the manager wants and not going and finding players and then asking the manager to sign them off.

Caulker has many weaknesses but he is strong in the air and looks like Klopp has identified this to prevent the likes of Watford and Palace avoiding the press with long balls.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: January 12, 2016, 05:17:29 pm »

But that is true only if obviously a big if it makes sense but of course it doesn't.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: January 12, 2016, 05:19:53 pm »
Anyone who plays at Central defence,  has Hamstrings that work and a beard is good by me
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #392 on: January 12, 2016, 05:20:35 pm »

so everything is good!”
Everything is good lads, you can chill out  :wave

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: January 12, 2016, 05:22:10 pm »
Ilori didn't get a mention, it's no surprise really though after the Exeter game. Personally I don't believe this move is great and lacks a bit of ambition on our part but if we have a bigger picture here and that can only get executed in the summer then so be.

If this doesn't work out and our transfers follow a similar path in the Summer then I think Klopp, the owners and the Committee are opening themselves up to a lot of criticism.

Not bringing in any cover would be a lack of ambition and negligence more than anything else

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #394 on: January 12, 2016, 05:32:46 pm »
It's also telling Klopp mentioned Caulker being good in the air and this is a requirement with how we want to play, Ilori looks like he struggles in this aspect.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #395 on: January 12, 2016, 05:37:53 pm »
He'll be decent cover until may. Think he's been on the radar a while actually, BR enquired. Not knee jerk, needs must.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #396 on: January 12, 2016, 05:45:15 pm »
The lack of lean is a concern... ::)

Surely thats only permanent signings?

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: January 12, 2016, 05:48:52 pm »
He has hamstrings yes?
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: January 12, 2016, 05:53:41 pm »
He has hamstrings yes?

Do they work though?

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #399 on: January 12, 2016, 05:56:49 pm »
It makes perfect sense as a loan signing; he should provide decent cover and hopefully he will remain fit. We're not expecting a great deal from him; if he plays 6-7 games and puts in solid performances then he will probably exceed expectations. Perhaps this lack of expectations and pressure will help him surprise a few people. Plus he is a big, strong lad who is good in the air and may come in useful against the yard dogs of the league. Hell, he may even be an asset against Elbows Felliani at the weekend!