Author Topic: Hull City 1 - Liverpool 0  (Read 157062 times)

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Hull City 1 - Liverpool 0
« Reply #1080 on: April 29, 2015, 02:09:56 am »
i'm afraid that last season "success" came too early for Rodgers, obviously he wasn't ready for that

Not trying to argue but - I don't understand what this means

Surely success at any time is the whole point

Offline Yerolo

• Kopite
« Reply #1081 on: April 29, 2015, 02:18:56 am »
It's just bleedingly obvious that having someone like Suarez in your starting 11 just makes everyone around you look 100x better including the manager.  Brendan sure has made alot of mistakes this season, time will tell if those mistakes will cost him his job.

Personally, I think he should be given more time. We have had a horrible season in terms of losing our best player and our other main scorer more or less out for the season. We don't know enough about what goes on behind the scenes to know if he is responsible for our transfer failings in the summer, I just feel the problems we are having go deeper than the squad and manager

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1082 on: April 29, 2015, 02:21:46 am »
It's just bleedingly obvious that having someone like Suarez in your starting 11 just makes everyone around you look 100x better including the manager.  Brendan sure has made alot of mistakes this season, time will tell if those mistakes will cost him his job.

Personally, I think he should be given more time. We have had a horrible season in terms of losing our best player and our other main scorer more or less out for the season. We don't know enough about what goes on behind the scenes to know if he is responsible for our transfer failings in the summer, I just feel the problems we are having go deeper than the squad and manager

I think Brendan has ignored this, or rather the genius of Suarez deluded him and the players. I mean that in the most professional way, I am not calling Rodgers himself deluded. I mean that perhaps Suarez was so good that the manager hasn't quite grasped just how good he is, and that the shortcomings that were there in parts last season would not be there now just because we've bought a lot of players when in reality it's likely that they haven't really changed anything.

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: April 29, 2015, 02:27:35 am »
I think Brendan has ignored this, or rather the genius of Suarez deluded him and the players. I mean that in the most professional way, I am not calling Rodgers himself deluded. I mean that perhaps Suarez was so good that the manager hasn't quite grasped just how good he is, and that the shortcomings that were there in parts last season would not be there now just because we've bought a lot of players when in reality it's likely that they haven't really changed anything.
Deluded were the folks on here that thought Brendan Rodgers taught Luis Suarez how to score goals.

Offline Yerolo

• Kopite
« Reply #1084 on: April 29, 2015, 02:42:48 am »
Deluded were the folks on here that thought Brendan Rodgers taught Luis Suarez how to score goals.

I don't think anyone thought that. Everyone knows what an individual genius he is, but Brendan last season setup the team to his strengths and brought back the pressing game we were famous for in years gone by. You could see the players on the pitch shared his vision and enthusiasm and everyone rose to the occasion.

We most definitely need another world class player and strong leader in our team to hit these same heights again. Most here probably won't admit it, but our team is very average. There are only 1 or 2 players from our current squad I would keep if it meant rebuilding again (which is certainly on the cards imo)

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: April 29, 2015, 02:44:20 am »
No harm whatsoever. Give the kid a license.

People talking about our striking debacle. I think there's a more important question to ask and that's our formation.

Why have we reverted to a back four again? How many points have we picked up in this formation? I'd say less than 20. That in itself is quite damning.

With Lovren and Skrtel, no less, and Balotelli alone up top yet again. We've gone back to the players and formation that let us down earlier this season. Bizarre, it really is. Has Rodgers learnt anything?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1086 on: April 29, 2015, 02:47:41 am »

I won't sit here and pretend I didn't say something to that tune. I mean when a player scores 30 odd goals for a team then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the manager he is playing for helped him do that. The same with Sturridge who is better than 1 in 2 at us. Is that a coincidence too? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Rodgers 'taught' Suarez how to score goals, but I don't for a minute think that Suarez scored and played like he did simply in spite of Rodgers and 100 percent not because of him.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: April 29, 2015, 02:51:02 am »
Not trying to argue but - I don't understand what this means

Surely success at any time is the whole point

this means when a super hot girl but drunk as fuck starts kissing your ugly face in the club, and suddenly you start thinking that you are the hottest guy in the club....
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: April 29, 2015, 02:58:56 am »
At least the delusional among us will shut up about fourth place now.

Every cloud and all that.
You must be delighted, seeing as you've been scoffing at the idea since before xmas. It's only taken 4 months before you were proved right.

Hopefully you and the other Super Mario fanboys will also finally admit he's been nothing but a complete waste of 16m, and was never, ever fit to wear the shirt.

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: April 29, 2015, 03:12:04 am »
I won't sit here and pretend I didn't say something to that tune. I mean when a player scores 30 odd goals for a team then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the manager he is playing for helped him do that. The same with Sturridge who is better than 1 in 2 at us. Is that a coincidence too? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Rodgers 'taught' Suarez how to score goals, but I don't for a minute think that Suarez scored and played like he did simply in spite of Rodgers and 100 percent not because of him.
Luis Enrique must be the best manager in the world. Helping Messi, Suarez and Neymar score all those goals. Even though it was Messi who told Suarez to play in the middle when Enrique was insisting on Suarez on the right.

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #1090 on: April 29, 2015, 03:24:45 am »
The season is truly a failure. Utter disaster.

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #1091 on: April 29, 2015, 03:41:32 am »

That bite in the World Cup  was what cost us, it FSG the excuse to get shut of the flawed genius without comprehending how much we relied on him.  I hate to paraphrase Gary Neville but he said "Why did they sell him? It was just a bite".
Sturridge's injury was unforseen but the lack of cover was unforgivable, why oh why did the committee not look at the set up and look to players to fit that system? I've said before, that Mario's cardboard cut out had more movement! The lad, Aluko playing for Hull whilst having no skill was a better outlet than any of our strikers and he's not their first choice!!!

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: April 29, 2015, 03:48:11 am »
That bite in the World Cup  was what cost us, it FSG the excuse to get shut of the flawed genius without comprehending how much we relied on him.  I hate to paraphrase Gary Neville but he said "Why did they sell him? It was just a bite".
Sturridge's injury was unforseen but the lack of cover was unforgivable, why oh why did the committee not look at the set up and look to players to fit that system? I've said before, that Mario's cardboard cut out had more movement! The lad, Aluko playing for Hull whilst having no skill was a better outlet than any of our strikers and he's not their first choice!!!

he was laving for barca regardless of the bite.....and I am pretty certain that Rodgers and fsg suspected that - if not knew it - when he went off to the world cup....my recollection was waiting for confirmation after the world cup, having initially hoped that injury meant he would not play at all and THAT may put barca off (I may be wrong, but even when he signed the new contract the buy out clause was mentioned then, and there was little doubt in my mond he was off at the end of last season)
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #1093 on: April 29, 2015, 03:50:49 am »

Mate we didn't sell him because of the bite. And fuck what Neville said. He left to one of the best clubs in the world, to play and compete for everything which is the sole reason why he left.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: April 29, 2015, 03:51:06 am »
Sounds kinda like Jurgen.

Klopp has won two league titles, domestic cups and done pretty well in Europe. What the hell has Bielsa done?

Offline sempi

• Kopite
« Reply #1095 on: April 29, 2015, 03:59:05 am »
Mate we didn't sell him because of the bite. And fuck what Neville said. He left to one of the best clubs in the world, to play and compete for everything which is the sole reason why he left.
Don't kid yourself,  he colud have easily been here for another season. His price would have only gone up.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #1096 on: April 29, 2015, 04:02:19 am »
Klopp has won two league titles, domestic cups and done pretty well in Europe. What the hell has Bielsa done?

Bielsa is an interesting one. The guy can manage, but has notable flaws. The guy is incredibly popular in Chile, he really got them playing the way they do now, and they adore him.

http://thefalse9.com/2014/11/marcelo-bielsa-tactics-evolution-from-chile-to-marseille.html

He'd make us fun to watch, but our defence would become even worse
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #1097 on: April 29, 2015, 04:07:10 am »
Bielsa is an interesting one. The guy can manage, but has notable flaws. The guy is incredibly popular in Chile, he really got them playing the way they do now, and they adore him.

http://thefalse9.com/2014/11/marcelo-bielsa-tactics-evolution-from-chile-to-marseille.html

Yep.

His downfall is that he has never lasted more than 2 seasons at any club he has managed.

But if you're thinking long term - which LFC would be - then he's not the man to go to should we sack Rodgers.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1098 on: April 29, 2015, 04:12:40 am »
But, hey, guys, on the upside Lovren is looking much better lately.  ;D

Fuck's sake its a shambles why the hell 4 at the back again? we cannot score with that. It is known.  Rodgers is showcasing his useless pile of  transfer committee striker options again at the end here to drive home the point, that was well driven home for half a season already.  and maybe up the resale value of the lot of them if hes lucky.  Fuuucks sake.

Yesil it is then. Yesil it is.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: April 29, 2015, 04:14:50 am »
Why do we go through these runs? Rafa's final season, Kenny's final season, now this season.

Doesn't make any sense to me :(

It's almost like everyone involved is complicit in it

It's football, happens all the time, we're just not paying full attention to other clubs. Only thing left to ask yourself (generally speaking) is whether, on his work so far, you trust the man to prove he's better than this.

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #1100 on: April 29, 2015, 04:15:32 am »
We left ourselves open to a poor defeat like this and a bore less draw at West Brom by our transfer dealings in the summer,
compounded by an almost season long injury to Sturridge.

Balotelli and Lambert were no where near good enough, and Borini should have been off to Sunderland as well.

You have to question the clubs ambition for a top 4 finish, when the desperate need for a quality striker wasn't addressed in January, and they would have been available at the right price.

Finishing in 5th, 6th or 7th will impact on our dealings this summer, lets hope Origi turns out good

Credit to Hull they were playing for survival and deserved to win.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:18:49 am by KopThat »

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1101 on: April 29, 2015, 04:18:22 am »

Im from Chile. I love the guy to death, probably more than Rafa. But he isnt what Liverpool needs.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1102 on: April 29, 2015, 04:25:59 am »
the return to the failed multiple times system, as outlined in his dossier and attempted, before being abandoned, at the start of every season is just Rodgers getting a head start on attempt number whatever to make it work.

So essentially this is preseason and then we buy to fit the 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 again this summer.

This is what I suspect it is as well, and it is a concern.

For a while it looked like he might commit to the 3-4-3, but our recent problems with that system, which he's struggled to find the answers to, seem to have caused him to change his mind again.

I think he will try to get us playing like his Swansea team again, because it's what he knows best.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1103 on: April 29, 2015, 04:32:18 am »
Well, clearly. But what do I know eh? I always stood behind Rafa and was devastated when he left. It was a travesty. But it was me against the 99% of RAWK back then...

Was it fuck, get a sense of perspective and/or read the pages at the time. A RAWK poll concluded that this forum was disposed towards keeping Mr Rafael Benitez at the club, by a small majority (I believe it was 60 / 40).

If I remember correctly, this was the only pro-Rafael forum (at least taking into account the main ones) at the time. Official forum was 80-20 in favour of wanting Rafael gone, so was thisisanfield.

This being said, it's only me correcting historical recollection of events on this forum. Personally I don't want Rafael back at this club, but if it happens then so be it.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline ocecynwa

• Kopite
« Reply #1104 on: April 29, 2015, 04:32:33 am »
We left ourselves open to a poor defeat like this and a bore less draw at West Brom by our transfer dealings in the summer,
compounded by an almost season long injury to Sturridge.

Balotelli and Lambert were no where near good enough, and Borini should have been off to Sunderland as well.

You have to question the clubs ambition for a top 4 finish, when the desperate need for a quality striker wasn't addressed in January, and they would have been available at the right price.

Credit to Hull they were playing for survival and deserved to win.

This!!! How do we turn it around though? The manager had already said the transfer strategy is not going to change. Are the current set of players going to get better? Maybe Ibe, Sterling, Can......dare I say Markovic and Moreno? Is the manger going to improve? He's been found wanting this season, poor transfers, poor team selections and poor in game management. If FSG mean what they say then they should be thinking very hard about bringing Klopp in, a proven winner without spending hundreds of millions. Would be come to us though?
Remember when we used to sing "we've got the best midfield in the world'? Not so much anymore.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1105 on: April 29, 2015, 04:36:57 am »
If Rodger's is to go we really need to go for some experience a 37 year whose one claim to fame is gaining promotion from the championship really isn't the answer.

Ironic on so many levels.

Offline Historical Fool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1106 on: April 29, 2015, 04:41:06 am »
How bad is Mario Balotelli btw?

I keep hearing pundits say things like "there's no doubt he's got the talent". Is there no doubt? Because I've barely seen a shred of this apparently very clear "talent" all fucking season.

All I've seen is a static lump hoofing the ball over the bar from 40 yards out now and again.

There is no doubt. He's proven himself on the biggest stage in world football and with the career he's had and the clubs he's been at you can't say he has no talent and/or doubt his talent.

Whether he has the application, the drive, or the willingness to be coached, that you can question.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: April 29, 2015, 04:54:31 am »
This is what I suspect it is as well, and it is a concern.

For a while it looked like he might commit to the 3-4-3, but our recent problems with that system, which he's struggled to find the answers to, seem to have caused him to change his mind again.

I think he will try to get us playing like his Swansea team again, because it's what he knows best.

My worry is that Rodgers dream team, even if realized, will never match the points we got last year by focusing on goals over 'possesion' or 'control'. Rodgers philosophy is based on the idea that if you control posession you will win 60% of the time (or some close number) and therefore if you are winning the posession every game you'll probably win the league, or be close.
However I think the last few games have illustrated just how useless mere posession is. We had almost 80% against West Brom and we needed a goal line clearance to keep it 0-0 at the end. Today we had the ball all game but we couldn't even make a 89 year old keeper break a sweat.
We have been undone time after time, by managers as limited as Sherwood, Lambert, Fat Sam and Bruce, not because of any incredible tactics on their part, but by the most rudimentary of tactics because we are so slow and predictable at both ends of the field.
If we start next season with a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with split CDs a controller and one striker, with emphasis on slow short passing from keeper to CD to FB back to CD to deepest midfielder - pressure applied, back to CD etc etc then I don't see how Rodgers survives another year.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: April 29, 2015, 05:06:13 am »
hope we make it at least to Europa League, that is where we belong now...

some players donīt deserve to wear the shirt.

wonīt comment on Rodgers, but i think he lost the players...

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1109 on: April 29, 2015, 05:22:41 am »
But, hey, guys, on the upside Lovren is looking much better lately.  ;D

Fuck's sake its a shambles why the hell 4 at the back again? we cannot score with that. It is known.  Rodgers is showcasing his useless pile of  transfer committee striker options again at the end here to drive home the point, that was well driven home for half a season already.  and maybe up the resale value of the lot of them if hes lucky.  Fuuucks sake.

Yesil it is then. Yesil it is.

"Please don't wear red tonight
Yesil is what I said, tonight
For red is the colour that will make me blue
In spite of you it's true
Yesil is, it's true
Yesil is, it's true"
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Historical Fool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1110 on: April 29, 2015, 05:40:43 am »
My worry is that Rodgers dream team, even if realized, will never match the points we got last year by focusing on goals over 'possesion' or 'control'. Rodgers philosophy is based on the idea that if you control posession you will win 60% of the time (or some close number) and therefore if you are winning the posession every game you'll probably win the league, or be close.
However I think the last few games have illustrated just how useless mere posession is. We had almost 80% against West Brom and we needed a goal line clearance to keep it 0-0 at the end. Today we had the ball all game but we couldn't even make a 89 year old keeper break a sweat.
We have been undone time after time, by managers as limited as Sherwood, Lambert, Fat Sam and Bruce, not because of any incredible tactics on their part, but by the most rudimentary of tactics because we are so slow and predictable at both ends of the field.
If we start next season with a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with split CDs a controller and one striker, with emphasis on slow short passing from keeper to CD to FB back to CD to deepest midfielder - pressure applied, back to CD etc etc then I don't see how Rodgers survives another year.

It's much more than that. Statistically, if you dominate the ball against the opposing team you will win the game 79% of the time. This is much, much higher than 60%. Breaking away from the model, if you're only expected to win 60% of the time, in favour of a shorter-term model, is excusable, though ultimately ill advised. Breaking away from a model which historically and statistically gives you a 79% chance to win games is less so and less justifiable.

Your point about the last few games - I believe they are outliers to be honest. This doesn't show how "useless" mere possession is, because if we have a higher possession percentage than the opposing team every league game for 10 years running (380 games) playing the same way, the result will be that we win 79% of them or close to thereabouts. The same logic applies as in, for example, poker variance, where if you make the correct mathematical decisions 100% of the time over 8 online tables for 3 months, for example, you'll end up winning even though short term you may lose some hands that you would have won if you had played based on "gut" feel.

I accept that it's different as football has so many more variables (injuries, morale, loss of form, players needing to be coached, players being asked to play a different way than earlier in the season) than poker, but Brendan's statistical approach to the possession game is imo indeed sound. And if he wants to go back to a formation and an ideal that he believes in then all power to him - I just hope that he doesn't rip it up mid season because of "pressure to get results" and sticks with his preferred style of play throughout next season (38 games is a small sample size but hey we can't ask for the world) and take it from there.

Per aspera ad astra.

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: April 29, 2015, 06:05:21 am »
Meanwhile over in Barcelona.... :( cant wait for the season to end, unlike many on here i dont want Brendan gone, really believe he will get it right. Mistakes have been made by owners, Ayre and Rodgers,I think they will get it right next season in terms of signings and not leave us so desperately short.

Why will they get it right?

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: April 29, 2015, 06:05:49 am »
You do realize that ripping it up mid season is how we have seen an upturn in form each time, right?
Over three full seasons the Rodgers vision has produced football neither good, or particularly winning. Yet the more direct football with Suarez and the newly acquired Coutinho and Sturridge saw us have top 4 form at the end of season 1. The 4-4-2 diamond saw us almost win the league and the 3-4-3 gave us the only sustained bright spot in this miserable season.
The posession stat is silly. Simply put the best team usually wins the posession battle. And the best team usually win the game. So they correlate. The exception tends to be smash and grab, where a team dominates but misses it's tons of chances and the other team takes theirs.
We dominate posession but far too often do not dominate our opponents or create anything close to enough chances.
Don't get me wrong, I want us to pass and move and have the opposition chasing shadows. But the vast majority of times this league is won by an attack minded team that is capable of blitzing the lesser teams. There are exceptions, but they are built on rock steady foundations that can keep clean sheet after clean sheet.
Anyway each to their own, but I'll be amazed if Rodgers sticks to his guns with a non working style that he'll get anywhere close to 38 games next year.

"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: April 29, 2015, 06:08:22 am »
Technically, he has been in an offside position a gazillion times; but has never actually interfered with play.

He has been in an onside position a gazillion times and has never actually interfered with play either.

Offline dorsetgill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: April 29, 2015, 06:11:26 am »
What a dismal season with so many injuries.need some quality players to be bought in summer

Offline sempi

• Kopite
« Reply #1115 on: April 29, 2015, 06:20:23 am »
"Please don't wear red tonight
Yesil is what I said, tonight
For red is the colour that will make me blue
In spite of you it's true
Yesil is, it's true
Yesil is, it's true"

Let's in on the joke please :Yesil,why?

Offline Historical Fool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1116 on: April 29, 2015, 06:20:53 am »
You do realize that ripping it up mid season is how we have seen an upturn in form each time, right?
Over three full seasons the Rodgers vision has produced football neither good, or particularly winning. Yet the more direct football with Suarez and the newly acquired Coutinho and Sturridge saw us have top 4 form at the end of season 1. The 4-4-2 diamond saw us almost win the league and the 3-4-3 gave us the only sustained bright spot in this miserable season.
The posession stat is silly. Simply put the best team usually wins the posession battle. And the best team usually win the game. So they correlate. The exception tends to be smash and grab, where a team dominates but misses it's tons of chances and the other team takes theirs.
We dominate posession but far too often do not dominate our opponents or create anything close to enough chances.
Don't get me wrong, I want us to pass and move and have the opposition chasing shadows. But the vast majority of times this league is won by an attack minded team that is capable of blitzing the lesser teams. There are exceptions, but they are built on rock steady foundations that can keep clean sheet after clean sheet.
Anyway each to their own, but I'll be amazed if Rodgers sticks to his guns with a non working style that he'll get anywhere close to 38 games next year.

Yes but ripping it up means that, as you noted, he always goes back to it at the start of the season (or in this case, at the end when there's apparently nothing to play for). It's his default.

Can't argue with the results, but what I can argue with is the expectation it's generated among the fanbase of whom it appears the majority on RAWK appear to think that we ought to be set up to play in a 4-4-2 diamond or a 3-4-3, when this is not how Brendan wanted to be set up in the first place nor how I believe our transfer business was conducted in the summer.

Anyway, that aside, I think it'll be interesting to see what happens if he sticks with it for 38 games, seeing as he got a Swansea side playing that way both promoted and respectably ensconcelled in the BPL during his time there. Again, it's logical - apply same style with more reputable / better technical players should equate to better results and higher league position. At least if it tanks over 38 games he can reassess his belief system then and grow from it - as it is now, he always goes back to it (signalling a belief that despite all the short term fixes, he still believes that this style of football is superior to the rest).

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
« Reply #1117 on: April 29, 2015, 06:24:51 am »

There's no way Suarez was ever staying with us. They negotiated that new contract for him PRECISELY so that he could move to Barca/Madrid in the summer on a buyout clause - Because that's what he wanted. After the 40 mill and a quid offer from Arsenal...Still can't help but laugh at the sheer nerve of that...FSG obviously wanted to ensure he wouldn't end up anywhere else in the Premier League. His departure was handled pretty well, in my opinion...His replacing though - Could not possibly have gone worse. I have fonder memories of Andy Carroll (11 goals) than I do of Borini (3), Lambert (3) and Balotelli (4) combined.
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: April 29, 2015, 07:09:24 am »

Of course he didn't teach him to score goals, I don't recall a anyone ever saying that. What he did was build a team around him and as a result Luis reached a level of playing beyond that he'd reached before. Barca weren't snapping him up from Ajax, it was with us that he became one of the best few players in the world.

It amazes me that's it become a knock on Brendan to make the most out of his best player. He gets zero credit for it, like Suarez just decided to have a great season and he'd have scored 30+ goals under anyone. Total nonsense. Not to mention the other players that had very good years, Sturridge being one and he'd never played as well under any other manager either.

Offline sempi

• Kopite
« Reply #1119 on: April 29, 2015, 07:19:25 am »
There's no way Suarez was ever staying with us. They negotiated that new contract for him PRECISELY so that he could move to Barca/Madrid in the summer on a buyout clause - Because that's what he wanted. After the 40 mill and a quid offer from Arsenal...Still can't help but laugh at the sheer nerve of that...FSG obviously wanted to ensure he wouldn't end up anywhere else in the Premier League. His departure was handled pretty well, in my opinion...His replacing though - Could not possibly have gone worse. I have fonder memories of Andy Carroll (11 goals) than I do of Borini (3), Lambert (3) and Balotelli (4) combined.
I still stand by my view that he could have stayed another year. The fact  that people at the club thought he was replaceable shows the lack of understanding that is breathtaking.