Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 101688 times)

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Windows 10, it's not too shabby
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2015, 12:44:24 pm »
Bugger - I already did loads of partition resizing last night to get 9GB more space on my C: drive thinking it would be enough :( will have to do some more now.

How on earth can it require that much even it does need to stop the archive and the contents of the archive !!!!

I upgraded from 64 bit Windows 8.1 with 18GB free space and it had no issues, the download was only 3GB so I can't see that somehow unpacking to ~20GB.

Also after the upgrade I'm up to 24GB of space which is pretty nifty.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2015, 03:26:21 pm »
Either Microsoft's servers are being hammered or my internet connection is rubbish but it the download tool (off the Microsoft site) doing the "Install now" option has taken from 7am to 3pm to get to 60%  :butt

A workmate did the same thing yesterday and it was downloaded and installed within 2hrs :(

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #242 on: July 30, 2015, 03:45:30 pm »
the lovely people at classicshell.net have their alternative Start Button all ready for Windows 10 users - http://www.classicshell.net/

If you're running an older laptop / desktop check that you're graphics drivers are compatible and are available to download and install before 'upgrading' to Win 10.

It's also worth checking older devices such as scanners and printers etc to ensure drivers are available for Windows 10 (especially if you have an older HP printer).

First few impressions are that Chrome is a fair bit slower starting up and in it's general usage - as is the Windows Search function. Doesn't seem to have the 'snap' (responsiveness) it did when running Windows 7.

I'll still wait a month or two before considering upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 on my main machine - let those bugs and kinks get worked out first.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:12:06 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #243 on: July 30, 2015, 04:31:34 pm »
Go to Settings -> Personlisation -> Start and there is an option to 'Use start full screen' that should give you that back should you really want it.
Perfect.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: July 30, 2015, 04:38:26 pm »
And now I have Candy Crush on the PC.

Goodbye sleep.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: July 30, 2015, 05:24:06 pm »
Found a compromise on the start menu and tiles. Even more perfect.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: July 30, 2015, 05:54:08 pm »
Nearly 11GB download to install an OS...

That's pretty ridiculous.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: July 30, 2015, 06:57:19 pm »
Just seen this on twitter:

Is it wise to be concerned about this stuff, or is it paranoia over nothing? Don't like the idea of Microsoft having access to my Emails and personal communications personally. Will wait before upgrading
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #248 on: July 30, 2015, 07:11:06 pm »
 Just upgraded my HP Stream 7. Had a bit of bother due to the small internal memory on this thing but thankfully I've an sd card as well. Used the Media Creation Tool from MS and it's working fine now  ;D

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: July 30, 2015, 07:31:14 pm »
Downloaded started 12 hours ago (on a 58Mb connection) - only just hit 95% !!!

People at work had it downloaded in less than 15 minutes yesterday  :butt

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #250 on: July 30, 2015, 08:01:18 pm »

* snip *

Is it wise to be concerned about this stuff, or is it paranoia over nothing? Don't like the idea of Microsoft having access to my Emails and personal communications personally. Will wait before upgrading

To be fair it's not too different to Windows 8.1, though easier to disable everything on 8.1 it seems.

If you're truly paranoid I'd wait and grab Windows 10: Enterprise Edition.
:D

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: July 30, 2015, 08:02:44 pm »
or write your own OS
STFU and agree with me.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: July 30, 2015, 08:03:57 pm »
I don't even use one drive or cloud.  I've barely any idea what either of them are.  I think I joined up to cloud so I could use wifi hotspots but that's all I know...
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #253 on: July 30, 2015, 08:07:46 pm »
I don't even use one drive or cloud.  I've barely any idea what either of them are.  I think I joined up to cloud so I could use wifi hotspots but that's all I know...

I posted how to remove OneDrive a few pages back

Am I right in thinking you could disable updates entirely with the Enterprise edition? Definitely looks like Microsoft are going down the service route.

I took the plunge and grabbed the 10240 build (which is heavily rumoured to be the RTM anyway), love the slickness of it all... I had tried a build around a year ago and wasn't impressed.

A few things:

Remove OneDrive from Windows 10:
https://techjourney.net/disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-completely-in-windows-10/

Removing 'QuickAccess':
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-quick-access-aka-home-view-in-windows-10-file-explorer/
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4844-quick-access-navigation-pane-add-remove-windows-10-a.html

Also noticed Xbox app that is on there by default (and reinstalls itself if you remove it in PowerShell). This has caused me some problems with games due to the game DVR feature. Open msconfig.exe, goto services and de-select all the Xbox services.

For anyone who's grabbed the 10240 build, this is how you activate it:

Spoiler
Type the following command and hit the Enter key:
slmgr /ipk W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX
Wait for the message box popup that the key is installed.

Now type the following command and press Enter
slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in
Again, wait for the message box.

Finally, enter the following command:
slmgr /ato
[close]

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #254 on: July 30, 2015, 08:14:59 pm »

Wait a while mate - though if/when you do upgrade to Win 10 press the Start button go to 'Settings', then 'Privacy' and have a good look through to see what you'd like to turn off, and not be sent back to microsoft etc. Plus, keep an eye out on the better tech sites out there to see how to better protect your files/privacy etc.

Personally I don't use/trust OneDrive or Dropbox etc - I prefer the good old external portable harddrive as a backup (my data - my device).
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: July 30, 2015, 08:50:31 pm »
I posted how to remove OneDrive a few pages back

Thanks.  I'm still on my trusty Windows 7 and I reckon I'll stick with it for the time being.  :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2015, 09:21:47 pm »
So ... the first attempt at updating using the download tool failed :(

How do I kick off the update again without spending a day re-downloading as the files still appear to be there?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: July 30, 2015, 09:38:49 pm »
Serious Question, what's the rush?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: July 30, 2015, 09:49:19 pm »
To be fair it's not too different to Windows 8.1, though easier to disable everything on 8.1 it seems.

If you're truly paranoid I'd wait and grab Windows 10: Enterprise Edition.

Is Enterprise available for home users?  With Windows 7, it is only available for volume licensing (though it is identical to W7 Ultimate, just with a different name).

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #259 on: July 30, 2015, 11:28:55 pm »
Is Enterprise available for home users?  With Windows 7, it is only available for volume licensing (though it is identical to W7 Ultimate, just with a different name).

Not officially available for home users.

Not a great deal stops you from downloading the iso and activating it anyway, albeit illegitimately. Enterprise edition is out this weekend I believe.
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-sets-a-date-for-windows-10-enterprise-availability-1300601

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: July 30, 2015, 11:34:25 pm »
Serious Question, what's the rush?
Well I can now utilize my overkill 32GB gaming RAM, then there is the DX12 malarkey, also it looks and feels quiet nice and I'm a succor for ephemeral cosmetic changes. Yet to test out on Dota 2. Doubt it will help much, will still be shit...
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #261 on: July 30, 2015, 11:37:53 pm »
Well I can now utilize my overkill 32GB gaming RAM, then there is the DX12 malarkey, also it looks and feels quiet nice and I'm a succor for ephemeral cosmetic changes. Yet to test out on Dota 2. Doubt it will help much, will still be shit...

You're the worst  ;D

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #262 on: July 30, 2015, 11:52:08 pm »
I've updated my HP Proliant N54L Micro Server from Windows 8 to 10 but it's lost Ethernet connectivity now, it thinks the cable is unplugged but it's definitely plugged in and a working cable.

Having to use it with Wifi for now but that's not ideal since it serves the entire house with media files. Anyone got any ideas? Not seeing anything relevant on Google.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2015, 08:54:26 am »

No rush then

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #264 on: July 31, 2015, 09:03:45 am »
I thought I would play some of the apps and tried Modern combat 5 black out its pretty good and you can play it multi player not bad for free.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2015, 10:56:36 am »
So - it would seem that not all <cough>legit</cough> versions of Win7 can be updated.

Some of them will not only refuse to update to Win 10 but also, in the process of restoring your previous version of Win7 will also un-authenticate it as well !!!

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2015, 12:17:42 pm »

First few impressions are that Chrome is a fair bit slower starting up and in it's general usage - as is the Windows Search function. Doesn't seem to have the 'snap' (responsiveness) it did when running Windows 7.

Agree. After clicking start there is a little delay before the menu loads.

Hopefully it'll get sorted in time

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2015, 01:21:12 pm »
Agree. After clicking start there is a little delay before the menu loads.

Hopefully it'll get sorted in time

Been giving Edge a go and it's pretty good. I find Chrome is a right system hog these days, especially on low end devices.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2015, 01:22:18 pm »
Been advised not to download yet on Sony :(
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2015, 01:29:10 pm »
So - it would seem that not all <cough>legit</cough> versions of Win7 can be updated.

Some of them will not only refuse to update to Win 10 but also, in the process of restoring your previous version of Win7 will also un-authenticate it as well !!!

Not a huge issue, just use the Wat fix and reinstall the loader.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2015, 02:02:31 pm »
Also if you validate your copy of windows 7 and it's successful, surely upgrading should be equally as successful?

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2015, 02:16:27 pm »
Also if you validate your copy of windows 7 and it's successful, surely upgrading should be equally as successful?

That's right. KMSPico works fine.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2015, 02:28:36 pm »
I had Firefox running and 4 tabs open and it was using about 390 MB of memory.

Just started Edge with the exact same 4 tabs, 18 MB.

I presume it's the Firefox add-ons that make the difference?  Or is this Edge really very slick?

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2015, 02:34:25 pm »
I had Firefox running and 4 tabs open and it was using about 390 MB of memory.

Just started Edge with the exact same 4 tabs, 18 MB.

I presume it's the Firefox add-ons that make the difference?  Or is this Edge really very slick?
Edge is really very slick.

A new Windows 10 version of the Fox would be out real soon so we can wait for that.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2015, 02:35:00 pm »
Edge is really very slick.

A new Windows 10 version of the Fox would be out real soon so we can wait for that.

Youtube videos don't play for me on EDGE

The sound is there, but no actual picture

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2015, 02:39:09 pm »
I just changed the theme on Edge from light to dark.

Oooh it's lovely...

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2015, 03:20:28 pm »
Not a huge issue, just use the Wat fix and reinstall the loader.
True.
That's right. KMSPico works fine.
That could have been the problem. They used the Daz loader to bypaas authentication ... but then KMSPico is by the same team???

So a Win7 PC using KMSPico updates to Win10 fine?

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2015, 03:27:30 pm »
True.That could have been the problem. They used the Daz loader to bypaas authentication ... but then KMSPico is by the same team???

So a Win7 PC using KMSPico updates to Win10 fine?

Installed ok for me on Win 8 using the Media creation tool.  Dont see why 7 would be any different.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2015, 03:36:03 pm »
I've updated my HP Proliant N54L Micro Server from Windows 8 to 10 but it's lost Ethernet connectivity now, it thinks the cable is unplugged but it's definitely plugged in and a working cable.

Having to use it with Wifi for now but that's not ideal since it serves the entire house with media files. Anyone got any ideas? Not seeing anything relevant on Google.

Have you put the BIOS update on your Microserver (SP64420)?

If you need it, pm me your email and I will send you the zip.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2015, 03:44:20 pm »
Installed ok for me on Win 8 using the Media creation tool.  Dont see why 7 would be any different.
http://kmspi.co, right?