Author Topic: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'  (Read 144782 times)

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:19:35 pm »
"I won't be retiring this summer. I will play beyond this season," the midfielder said.
"We will have to wait and see if that's at Liverpool or somewhere else. That's Liverpool's decision."

I just saw this in the BBC Sport web page, which is quite worrying. But is it the usual sensationalism, that the BBC now seems to be keen to promote.

Gerrard open to move from Liverpool

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29845114

Then I found this from the Irish Independent:-

Is Steven Gerrard about to leave Liverpool?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/is-steven-gerrard-about-to-leave-liverpool-30706838.html

I thought the Irish Independent arcticle much more revealing and much more enlightening. Some interesting points on LFC, the club, the owners, the strikers, last season, the system we play, Mario, Carra etc

Just goes to show you, if you get the full picture, it’s a lot more interesting. I think this is plain, honest Steven Gerrard and i would be surprised if he wasn't offered a contract. Lets hope he is.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:59:47 pm by SP »

Offline tyrolean_red

• Legacy Fan
Re: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:32:42 pm »
Very interesting indeed. I still think we had a good summer transfer wise and players like Markovic will come good. But he's absolutely right if you look at the bigger picutre. It must be very hard for him to see top players leave every time we seem so close, be it 08/09 or last year. It seems we always get close, and just when we needed the extra bit quality we do the opposite and sell the biggest asset. I think he's quite frustrated about the clubs and the owners policy.

In my eyes, it would be stupid as fuck if the club didn't offer him a new contract. He will give his all every game he plays. Even if he's not the player he once was, he holds qualities not many midfielders in this league have. Hope it's a tactic to get the club to the table and offer him something.
Thank you Stevie! It was a pleasure.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:42:25 pm »
I'm sure Rodgers came out a while ago saying a new deal was just a formality. It'll be done no doubt about it but I'm just a bit surprised by Stevie's comments,

Perhaps that deal Rodgers spoke about was on seriously reduced wages or was only a year extension and has been rejected but I'd been more shocked than I've ever been if Steven Gerrard even plays for anyone else in Europe.

It's all speculation and comments can get taken out of context but along with Henderson I expect a new contract announcement sooner rather than later 

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:47:42 pm »
I'd wonder whether it's the age old - he wants 2 years, we've offered 1.

I think a one year contract is sensible for the club and I do think we need to rest Gerrard a little more. However, he's playing basically every game so from his perspective a longer term deal makes sense.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:50:00 pm »
Nothing more than they've taken a comment about not retiring if Liverpool don't offer a new contract (no doubt after being asked would he retire if we didn't) and formed a ridiculous headline.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:51:13 pm »
Bit misleading the title of your thread don't you think?

He says he wants to play on beyond this season and if Liverpool don't offer him a deal (which we will) naturally he'll play for someone else.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:51:53 pm »
I'd wonder whether it's the age old - he wants 2 years, we've offered 1.

I think a one year contract is sensible for the club and I do think we need to rest Gerrard a little more. However, he's playing basically every game so from his perspective a longer term deal makes sense.

The length is irrelevant. It's the cost that counts.

I'm happy either way. He's paid his dues, ten times over.

I do suspect that money won't be any sort of issue, it will be playing time that dictates whether he signs or not.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:51:54 pm »

He says he wants to play on beyond this season and if Liverpool don't offer him a deal (which we will) naturally he'll play for someone else.

So he is open to a move.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 12:52:20 pm »
Clearly very frustrated, and understandably so.

Fifteen years of the odd peak, and incessant transition.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 12:52:56 pm »
So he is open to a move.

Open to a move if Liverpool don't offer him a new deal.

There's no need to not add the rest of that sentence unless you're attempting to stir drama
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 12:54:24 pm »
Clearly very frustrated, and understandably so.

Fifteen years of the odd peak, and incessant transition.

I think he's rather calmer than "very frustrated" would imply:

“When Luis Suárez left I knew it would be like that,” says Gerrard. “When you come close [to the title] it is important you keep your main players. It’s not just about those coming in, it’s about what got you there.

“You need to keep that together and add to it. When you are taking big chunks of it away and adding five or six into it, it’s not going to happen overnight.

“I would love a Fabregas or Costa here, but I have to understand how the owners want to do it and accept I am a Liverpool player, not a Chelsea or Manchester City player. They [Fenway Sports Group] have gone on record saying they want to bring exciting young talent into the club. You can’t just expect that to click overnight.

“I’m not looking for excuses but there are collective reasons for our stuttering start. We lost a key player; we’ve had a key player injured; we’ve had a huge setback through just falling short last season; other Premier League sides have improved. Chelsea have gone and got their missing pieces of the jigsaw, City get stronger every year because of the funds. That’s why we’re not sitting top of the league with everything rosy.

“We are not in a position like City or Chelsea where the manager notices they are a little bit short and just goes bang, bang, two new signings.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline perspectiveplease

• getsomethenstopwastingourbandwidth!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 12:55:40 pm »
Would people begrudge him the opportunity to move to another club and win the league?

We would struggle to offer him a long contract at this stage in his career and realistically are at least 1-2 years away from winning the league ourselves. He's clearly frustrated by the constant "transition".

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 12:56:05 pm »
Jesus.

Mountain meet Molehill.

He's not retiring this season.

What if we don't give him a new contract.

He'll go elsewhere to continue.

That's it. Finished. Simple facts extrapolated into a desperate attempt for 'clicks'.

It's no big deal.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 12:57:02 pm »
Open to a move if Liverpool don't offer him a new deal.

There's no need to not add the rest of that sentence unless you're attempting to stir drama

Didn't thought it like that.
Anyway i think he will remain a Liverpool player until next season at least.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 12:57:54 pm »

agreed - the point i was trying to make was twofold -

1) quote is from the beeb website, with a very misleading headline if you don't know the context

2) that another less lazy journalist or newspaper turned this bit of quote into a very interesting interview with Steven Gerrard.

My colleague at work and i considered, no wonder people dont like giving interviews very much. You must cringe when you see the headlines. But fair play to the independent doing a nice piece of journalism.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 01:00:05 pm »
Would people begrudge him the opportunity to move to another club and win the league?

Absolutely not.

He has put up with enough bullshit at this club over the years. Constant disastrous decisions at board level, and on the field. He's just had another summer of it.

For him to retire without a league title would be very disappointing.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 01:00:17 pm »
So he is open to a move.
What else is he going to do if he wants to carry on playing football.

If my company told me they no longer wanted me and I had to go and work somewhere else, I guess I'd be 'open to a move' as well.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 01:02:57 pm »

“When Luis Suárez left I knew it would be like that,” says Gerrard. “When you come close [to the title] it is important you keep your main players. It’s not just about those coming in, it’s about what got you there.

“You need to keep that together and add to it. When you are taking big chunks of it away and adding five or six into it, it’s not going to happen overnight.

“I would love a Fabregas or Costa here, but I have to understand how the owners want to do it and accept I am a Liverpool player, not a Chelsea or Manchester City player. They [Fenway Sports Group] have gone on record saying they want to bring exciting young talent into the club. You can’t just expect that to click overnight.

“I’m not looking for excuses but there are collective reasons for our stuttering start. We lost a key player; we’ve had a key player injured; we’ve had a huge setback through just falling short last season; other Premier League sides have improved. Chelsea have gone and got their missing pieces of the jigsaw, City get stronger every year because of the funds. That’s why we’re not sitting top of the league with everything rosy.

“We are not in a position like City or Chelsea where the manager notices they are a little bit short and just goes bang, bang, two new signings.

He's the captain of Liverpool Football Club, he has a responsibility to not cause friction in the dressing room.

If you can't pick up on his frustration there, I don't know what to say.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 01:03:20 pm »
Absolutely not.

He has put up with enough bullshit at this club over the years. Constant disastrous decisions at board level, and on the field. He's just had another summer of it.

For him to retire without a league title would be very disappointing.

It won't happen though. Not to an English club. Firstly I don't think he would fancy a move to Chelsea or City at this stage. Even if he did would they want him or would they be looking for a younger model now?*

*All of this is under the caveat of us not offering him a new contract anyway which I'm sure we will. If we don't then maybe he's try a year abroad somewhere but I still struggle to see it.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 01:04:51 pm »
It won't happen though. Not to an English club. Firstly I don't think he would fancy a move to Chelsea or City at this stage. Even if he did would they want him or would they be looking for a younger model now?*

*All of this is under the caveat of us not offering him a new contract anyway which I'm sure we will. If we don't then maybe he's try a year abroad somewhere but I still struggle to see it.

I have no doubt he'll be here next season  :)

But if he did move, I wouldn't begrudge him.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 01:06:05 pm »
If he goes anywhere, maybe Bayern to link up with Xabi one more time.

But it's moot as the club will offer him an extension.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 01:07:24 pm »
I have no doubt he'll be here next season  :)

But if he did move, I wouldn't begrudge him.

Agreed on the first part! It just feels unthinkable to imagine him anywhere else. Kind of like when Raul moved to Schalke.

Offline perspectiveplease

• getsomethenstopwastingourbandwidth!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 01:07:47 pm »

Well, you only have to look at Lampard's impact at City so far. I think every club in the league would jump at the opportunity of signing a player of his ability. Would be gutting if he did.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 01:10:33 pm »
Agreed on the first part! It just feels unthinkable to imagine him anywhere else. Kind of like when Raul moved to Schalke.

I'll be honest, I think Gerrards days of winning a league are probably gone now, unless we somehow pull it out of the bag in the next 2 seasons or something, which regardless of last season, is highly unlikely.

The truth is, although still a brilliant player, at his age, the top teams, who challenge for trophies in the big leagues, will be unlikely to want to sign him.

I think he'll retire here, and I hope we can at least add a cup trophy or two to his haul before he hangs his boots up

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 01:17:48 pm »
Not sure of who would take him? He requires a team built around him, not many would give him that for a single year.

He'll stay here I'm sure of that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:19:25 pm by Draex »

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 01:20:32 pm »
Not sure of who would take him? He requires a team built around him, not many would give him that for a single year.

Haha! He'd have contract offers from most of Europe within a few days, no doubt about it, apart from maybe Barca.

Offline jsl2000

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 01:21:42 pm »

I think thats more a managing expectations exercise than anything else.  Pretty much saying don't expect much this season cos it's gonna be a rough ride.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 01:21:44 pm »
The OP leads with "which is quite worrying". Why? There is absolutely nothing in this at all. Obviously the media will twist their headlines to get clicks, to sell papers. That's their job.

Gerrard's contract runs out at the end of this season.

Gerrard doesn't want to retire.

Gerrard will still be playing for Liverpool if he gets offered a new contract.

Gerrard will be playing elsewhere if he doesn't get offered a new contract.

I'm not sure what's to worry about here.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 01:21:54 pm »

He'll stay here I'm sure of that.

He'd be a great player to have off the bench, especially in slower leagues than the prem. Look at Lampard at City
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »
He'd be a great player to have off the bench, especially in slower leagues than the prem. Look at Lampard at City

You think Gerrard wants to play off the bench? Come on, this is possibly one of the major sticking points in him agreeing a contract with us.

Offline Cream147

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 01:26:34 pm »
This interview seems to be a big "the ball is in your court LFC". To which I say good, we should sort out Stevie's contract. He's got another couple of years at the top level in him.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 01:27:01 pm »
You think Gerrard wants to play off the bench? Come on, this is possibly one of the major sticking points in him agreeing a contract with us.

If we didn't offer him a new contract then I'm sure he'd be willing to sacrificing starting every game if it meant he had a chance of winning a title or two.

I think it's Rodgers choice to play him as much as he does, not a sticking point in him staying here.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:32:20 pm by Bakez0151 »

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 01:27:57 pm »

He'll be 35 next year, he's not stupid, he'll know he probably can't expect to be playing every game at a top club

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 01:29:39 pm »
I found this quote the most interesting:

"“Brendan built his team around Luis and Sturridge,” Gerrard said. “He’d never played the diamond before, so it was a big compliment to Luis and Daniel he changed the whole team set-up to get the best from them."
Ludi Circenses!

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 01:31:35 pm »
Come on, this is possibly one of the major sticking points in him agreeing a contract with us.

You got access to a top secret version of the interview?
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 01:33:08 pm »
The OP leads with "which is quite worrying". Why? There is absolutely nothing in this at all. Obviously the media will twist their headlines to get clicks, to sell papers. That's their job.

Gerrard's contract runs out at the end of this season.

Gerrard doesn't want to retire.

Gerrard will still be playing for Liverpool if he gets offered a new contract.

Gerrard will be playing elsewhere if he doesn't get offered a new contract.

I'm not sure what's to worry about here.

Ok, im not sure if you are agreeing with my suggestion that one website quotes only the two lines from Steven Gerrards interview and therefore demonstrating how out of context these quotes are, or that you are not worried if he goes, because his contract does not get renewed.

The two quotes relevant to the subject on the beeb website were:-

"I won't be retiring this summer. I will play beyond this season," the midfielder said.

"We will have to wait and see if that's at Liverpool or somewhere else. That's Liverpool's decision."

Considering the latter, if our Captain's contract is not extended, i think it would be a big loss. If Steven Gerrard then goes on to another club, then i will feel awful, like we let him down, or he was made to feel of very little value. I still feel he has so much to offer in his role as both Captain and in football. I don't believe he can be replaced. So i am worried that he is saying he might be contemplating ife outside of Liverpool Football Club if things.

Considering the former, i agree, with wishful thinking. He won't leave because its all if buts and maybes.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • La la la la la
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 01:34:48 pm »
Clever, clever interview from the Captain. I have no doubt that he has chosen his words very carefully, and timed it very well. Sends a clear message out to the club: give me what I want or I'm off, and you can deal with the aftermath from the fans - losing their captain, rising ticket prices, lack of performance on the pitch.

I know he is not the player of 8 years ago but he is still Steven Gerrard. I am also convinced that the club will pop something on the table for him. Still, I am curious to see how he would perform in, say, Serie A or the Bundesliga. But anyway, it won't happen, he'll be here for 2 or 3 seasons yet.

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tries to post intelligently and normally fails..
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 01:37:21 pm »
I can see the club offering him a deal and then a role at the club after he retires Global Ambassador or something of that nature. That's on the assumption he doesn't want to move into coaching or management.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 01:45:22 pm »

He's often talked about wanting to work under Mourinho so it's not impossible. Both would take him as he would be great back up and help with the home grown rules.