Author Topic: Our Attack - meaning people at the club now - not players you fancy signing  (Read 79403 times)

Offline jfc

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Our Attack.
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2014, 12:57:15 pm »
Balotelli doesn't fill me with confidence, i really wish we went for a different type of player. The lack of movement from some of the players barring sterling and Lallana is concerning. Markovic for instance didn't seem interested in stretching opponents. I have to admit I am a little worried about the attack, things should pick up when sturridge returns but there's an over reliance on him and sterling

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2014, 01:02:26 pm »
Or, we may have to change how we play. Maybe it's not the striker(s), but the players behind (yesterday Sterling, Markovic and Lallana) who need to make the forward runs into space.

But why change it? This is exactly like the Kenny situation. We had a winning formula for the last 18 months. We've lost one player and bought replacements which force us to change the way we play.

It doesn't make sense.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2014, 01:04:07 pm »
People seem to point to Balotelli as the problem, not what we needed etc. Personally, I don't see it that way. Our problem is we're trying to bed in 3-4 new signings into a different system, coupled with injuries to key personnel aswell as a massive drop in form from some of our brightest lights ( Coutinho, Gerrard, Henderson ) from last season. There's no way Rodgers ( or anyone else ) could have predicted a no-show from such names, aswell as the injury crisis all happening at the same time.

Balotelli will be great once we're controlling games and actually bringing the ball into the opposition's box on the ground rather than in the form of a floated cross from 30m away ( we've been susceptible to them for some reason ). He's strong, quite quick and has a good shot. Get him to the ball in the right areas and he'll score ( a la Ludogorets ).

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2014, 01:04:36 pm »
But why change it? This is exactly like the Kenny situation. We had a winning formula for the last 18 months. We've lost one player and bought replacements which force us to change the way we play.

It doesn't make sense.
You can't replace Suarez.

Offline Vortigen

• Anny Roader
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2014, 01:12:09 pm »
To me it seems like we lack movement in the opposition half.  Someone will pick up a ball around the half way line and, 9 times out of 10, there would be nothing on ahead of him.  He'd look up, see a bunch of lads standing there looking at him, or hiding behind defenders.  He then turns around and passes it back or sideways.  It's looking very poor at the moment

Offline anfieldforever2013

• In a parallel universe, someone is spamming this fella's blog with links to RAWK
  • Main Stander
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2014, 01:16:56 pm »
I think Mario Balotelli is far from being the problem.

If anything, his workrate and running has impressed me so much. He's hardly lazy as was one of the things said about his game.

When Sturridge returns alongside him, they'll both bang in the goals. However, it is when one of those two become injured when you need to worry looking at Lambert and Borini who are not up to scratch.

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »

It doesn't make sense.
My thought exactly. We were playing pass and move football really well with Suarez,Maxi,Mereiles etc. Then we brought too many players from mid table clubs and had to change the system to suit them. Then we ended up with creating less and less clear cut chances as the season went on.

We brought too many players, and mostly the key player doesn't fit the system we played last season. Now we are playin more crosses into the box, defenders hoofing up the pitch etc.

Shame we didn't get Sanchez, after watching that free kick against Southampton >:(. We could have continued with same system and intensity.Fuck you Arsenal  >:(
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2014, 01:25:19 pm »
You can't replace Suarez.
Of course not. I banged on all Summer about this.

But you can replicate the system. The Spurs game showed that we can still be deadly up front, as long as we have Sturridge + another.

The problems arise when we don't have Sturridge. Why? Because we're then left with 2 target men or Fabio Borini. We can't play an effective diamond and thus the key players in our side are not played in their best positions.

The biggest mistake wasn't buying Balotelli. It was buying Lambert. If we had a 3rd choice striker with pace and goal threat we could still play the diamond when the main man is injured (as he often is).

As it stands, if Sturridge is injured, we're incapable of doing that because our 3rd striker has the mobility of an oil tanker.

• In a parallel universe, someone is spamming this fella's blog with links to RAWK
  • Main Stander
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2014, 01:27:45 pm »

But you can replicate the system. The Spurs game showed that we can still be deadly up front, as long as we have Sturridge + another.

The problems arise when we don't have Sturridge. Why? Because we're then left with 2 target men or Fabio Borini. We can't play an effective diamond and thus the key players in our side are not played in their best positions.

The biggest mistake wasn't buying Balotelli. It was buying Lambert. If we had a 3rd choice striker with pace and goal threat we could still play the diamond when the main man is injured (as he often is).

As it stands, if Sturridge is injured, we're incapable of doing that because our 3rd striker has the mobility of an oil tanker.

Pretty much spot on and what I've been saying.

We need a quick, mobile third choice striker. Lambert and Borini clearly do not fit the mould. We should have gone for a Luis Muriel/Loic Remy player.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2014, 01:30:21 pm »
I think there is a lot in our attack that "need" goals to settle their nerves. Lallana, Lambert, Markovic being the main ones. I'd probably like to see Markovic play as second striker, because when he comes deep, he looks lost and plays the easy pass.

There might be some truth in Balotelli being a problem, its more to do with his attacking movement. He's started to keep his shape now, centrally, but he needs to start making "pointless" attacking runs to create space for others. Try to get goal side of his marker. I think that will come with a bit of time and confidence.

did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2014, 01:31:51 pm »
Pretty much spot on and what I've been saying.

We need a quick, mobile third choice striker. Lambert and Borini clearly do not fit the mould. We should have gone for a Luis Muriel/Loic Remy player.
We did go for a Remy type player didn't we, in fact, we went for Remy.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2014, 01:35:05 pm »

Remy was on Zaf's table inside the club and we said no thank you
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

• Main Stander
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2014, 01:37:21 pm »

We did indeed.

I'm just trying to get my head around the fact that would we have gone for Balotelli had we managed to get Remy? Had we managed to have had following quartet and we, as fans, would not be talking in such a thread as we are talking about right now...

Daniel Sturridge
Mario Balotelli
Loic Remy
Rickie Lambert

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2014, 01:38:28 pm »
Remy was on Zaf's table inside the club and we said no thank you
He failed his medical, that's all we know.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2014, 01:42:01 pm »
He failed his medical, that's all we know.
But was able to pass one at 7 other clubs.

Odd.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2014, 01:43:30 pm »

Odd.

Maybe we hold ourselves to a higher standard than other clubs? Didn't he fail 2 medicals with other clubs? Maybe we looked at how many games he might be playing if say Sturridge got injured (See Balotelli, who we didn't have at the time) and thought it wasn't worth the risk.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2014, 01:45:46 pm »
We did indeed.

I'm just trying to get my head around the fact that would we have gone for Balotelli had we managed to get Remy? Had we managed to have had following quartet and we, as fans, would not be talking in such a thread as we are talking about right now...

Daniel Sturridge
Mario Balotelli
Loic Remy
Rickie Lambert
I don't think we would have signed Balotelli if we had signed Remy, after the Remy deal failed we were heavily linked with Falcao and Cavani but those deals seemed complicated and we didn't want to wait.

We were desperate for a striker and when Milan lowered their asking price for Balotelli we went for him. As a partnership I would prefer Sturridge and Balotelli, if we need a replacement for Sturridge then Remy would be better.

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2014, 01:46:29 pm »

Odd.

It happens, Gabriel Milito failed one at Real yet went on to join Zaragoza and Barca. Real Madrid were proven right in the end.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2014, 01:47:11 pm »

Odd.
And also failed medicals at other clubs, so not so odd. We don't know why he failed ours or any of those medicals either.

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2014, 01:55:13 pm »
Remy also hinted there was a problem but claimed most other clubs ignore it and other players have it or something like that anyway! Good on us for doing what we thought was right.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2014, 01:55:36 pm »
People seem to point to Balotelli as the problem, not what we needed etc. Personally, I don't see it that way. Our problem is we're trying to bed in 3-4 new signings into a different system, coupled with injuries to key personnel aswell as a massive drop in form from some of our brightest lights ( Coutinho, Gerrard, Henderson ) from last season. There's no way Rodgers ( or anyone else ) could have predicted a no-show from such names, aswell as the injury crisis all happening at the same time.

Balotelli will be great once we're controlling games and actually bringing the ball into the opposition's box on the ground rather than in the form of a floated cross from 30m away ( we've been susceptible to them for some reason ). He's strong, quite quick and has a good shot. Get him to the ball in the right areas and he'll score ( a la Ludogorets ).
I feel the same. Patience, people.  :)

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2014, 01:57:31 pm »
And also failed medicals at other clubs, so not so odd.
Where?

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2014, 02:03:33 pm »

Odd.
I can't fault the club about a medical being failed. Rodgers wanted him. So there was unfortunately something serious enough about him medically to make us say no. The other clubs were gambling on him. I was just diagnosed with a minor heart valve problem and I'm hearing different recommendations from different doctors about exercise, etc., so for my sake I'm listening to the more cautious doc.   ;)  I just hope for Remy's sake he listens to his doctors & stays healthy without something bad happening to him, regardless of who he plays for. 

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2014, 02:04:11 pm »
Where?

When Remy was making a move from OGC Nice to Marseille in 2010, the striker failed the initial medical due to a heart defect that was discovered during the tests.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2014, 02:08:08 pm »

Ah right, but he did sign for them.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2014, 02:08:44 pm »
Ah right, but he did sign for them.

Fast forward 4 years and we decided maybe it wasn't worth the risk.

People really need to let this go.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2014, 03:06:44 pm »
I'm sure it been said already, but I think it's too stagnant. I miss the movement of last season. The runs off the ball, in to the box etc. Carrier don't have many options, so we end up playing it square or backwards a lot.

I've also missed something Enrique started providing in the latter stages of the game last night, overlaps and late runs into the box (how we scored our 2nd). That'll stretch the opposing team and create more space in the final 3rd.

But if memory serves me, we looked a bit liked this at the start of last season too. And I think the return of Sturridge will be important to get the whole attack going.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:08:39 pm by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2014, 03:15:50 pm »

I agree with the general point but not this specific point
Buying lambert was fine IF we'd upgraded Borini

I don't think people realise just how poor a striker Borini is - maybe the West Ham match has opened a few eyes I'm not sure
But he's a "striker" who rarely shoots and who doesn't hit the target or convert when he does. More than that though he has no way to hurt teams - he doesn't play on the last man, doesn't win it like a target man and fundamentally doesn't get into threatening positions

Given that he was picked ahead of Lambert he's effectively our 3rd choice striker and that's a real problem

We need to learn how to play with only 1 striker on the pitch - we have the players to do it, our whole summer spending seems to have been geared around doing it so I'm sure Rodgers knows this and we'll get there

Offline Aaron Rattray1

• Almost a new record in rEceiving the pOsting bEfore tHinking aWard. needs to get a shift on.
  • Anny Roader
  • Grimsby town and Liverpool fan
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2014, 03:19:31 pm »
If we need to change our style to get the best out of all our players then that is what we should do providing every player is comfortable

However i don't think this is the case, as far as i see it, it is only a case of players needing time to gel, far too early to panic, if it comes to November time and things have not changed then that is the time to panic but until then no need to panic i say

Offline Brentieke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2014, 03:21:06 pm »
I'm sure it been said already, but I think it's too stagnant. I miss the movement of last season. The runs off the ball, in to the box etc. Carrier don't have many options, so we end up playing it square or backwards a lot.

I've also missed something Enrique started providing in the latter stages of the game last night, overlaps and late runs into the box (how we scored our 2nd). That'll stretch the opposing team and create more space in the final 3rd.

But if memory serves me, we looked a bit liked this at the start of last season too. And I think the return of Sturridge will be important to get the whole attack going.
Only difference is we had our greatest player in a generation who never got injured to come back at that stage.

Now, we're at the mercy of Daniel Sturridge's fitness.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2014, 03:30:27 pm »
Only difference is we had our greatest player in a generation who never got injured to come back at that stage.

Now, we're at the mercy of Daniel Sturridge's fitness.

Obviously he did a lot of running, but I miss it as a team. The players we've brought in are players who normally move, move, move. I know we can do it so it's a matter of time IMO.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2014, 03:36:37 pm »
We'll move more later on in the season. The fitness issue we saw at the beginning of last season and this one aren't a coincidence - they're a calculated gamble by Rodgers to have us explode into fitness a little before halfway through the season. Until then, we'll improve gradually. This season, it's compounded by having so many new players to bed in.

Balotelli? Not a central striker for me - at least not one who can play alone. He needs space rather than being the focus of attention by all the opposition players. I think he'd do better drifting out wide than where he's playing at the moment although he's always been his best playing alongside another striker. He's not the Andy Carroll type number 9 and it frustrates me that people can't see that. He's very clear someone who will thrive playing alongside Sturridge. I would argue that given how both Danny and Mario play, they'll make a much more natural partnership than the SAS. As it is, I wouldn't mind seeing him play alongside Lambert - solely because he's someone who occupies the defenders at the very least, and would give Balotelli the space to actually come in and go for goal properly. 
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline jfc

• Kopite
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2014, 03:40:06 pm »
I think there is a lot in our attack that "need" goals to settle their nerves. Lallana, Lambert, Markovic being the main ones. I'd probably like to see Markovic play as second striker, because when he comes deep, he looks lost and plays the easy pass.

There might be some truth in Balotelli being a problem, its more to do with his attacking movement. He's started to keep his shape now, centrally, but he needs to start making "pointless" attacking runs to create space for others. Try to get goal side of his marker. I think that will come with a bit of time and confidence.

that's exactly what i think, i knew it before he arrived as i saw him for Milan and he still doesn't seem to make runs in behind, he doesn't anticipate where the ball could fall either, he's too stationary at times. Yes his work rate is good but in an attacking sense he is very much lacking in regards to his positioning and making his marker think. He's too reliant on his physical attributes in terms of holding players off.

I guess we've been spoiled by Suarez who is the dream striker, but its disappointing that we now miss that type of movement and anticipation.

Hopefully Balotelli will change this and become a player who starts suiting our system

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2014, 03:42:04 pm »
I don't get why in the absence of Sturridge we don't play Sterling ahead of Balotelli.. You'd then have either Markovic or Coutinho behind in the #10 and Lallana playing on the left of a diamond etc.

Sterling runs the lines brilliantly and has the pace to keep defences honest. Borini shouldn't be anywhere near the lineup he doesn't offer anything..

Similar if we are resting Balotelli, Sterling would work well off Lambert as well.

People need to remember Balotelli is now going to be moulded (if he works hard) by Rodgers, Suarez wasn't half the player he was until Rodgers got hold of him (anyone remember how frustrating his shooting was in his first season?) I agree that Balotelli has had it a bit easy so far, every manager has let him do it his way and so he's not developed parts of his game that are lacking.. He got by as he has unbelievable natural ability and physique.. If he works hard on movement, making runs, when to pass etc. He could turn into an all round brilliant striker.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:44:24 pm by Draex »

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2014, 03:49:45 pm »

You know, in a funny sort of way it could be the case that its not Suarez we need to replace, but to have a player adequate to fill in for Sturridge if/ when he's out.

Arguably, Sturridge is more important to us than Suarez was.

We miss his movement and cleverness upfront, as well as his ability to score, when even not at his best.

I've now doubt that the midfielders will find form as we progress, but with Sturridge out, the lack of goals is a concern.

I think having Sturridge on the pitch will bring out the best in players like Balotelli.

But what do we do if Sturridge is out.  Remy of course could have been the answer, but for me the subject of Sturridge and who can closely mirror what he does, could be key for this team.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2014, 03:52:39 pm »
I don't get why in the absence of Sturridge we don't play Sterling ahead of Balotelli.. You'd then have either Markovic or Coutinho behind in the #10 and Lallana playing on the left of a diamond etc.

Sterling runs the lines brilliantly and has the pace to keep defences honest. Borini shouldn't be anywhere near the lineup he doesn't offer anything..

Similar if we are resting Balotelli, Sterling would work well off Lambert as well.

People need to remember Balotelli is now going to be moulded (if he works hard) by Rodgers, Suarez wasn't half the player he was until Rodgers got hold of him (anyone remember how frustrating his shooting was in his first season?) I agree that Balotelli has had it a bit easy so far, every manager has let him do it his way and so he's not developed parts of his game that are lacking.. He got by as he has unbelievable natural ability and physique.. If he works hard on movement, making runs, when to pass etc. He could turn into an all round brilliant striker.

I agree with this.

With the current squad we have, I feel the only player we have that can replicate what Sturridge does is Sterling.

Perhaps he should be pushed further up with Balotelli when Sturridge is out.

I actually think Sterling could thrive (further) in that role.

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2014, 03:58:24 pm »
We need more goals from midfield...I think Lallana will contribute quite a few when he starts to get on a run but we massively need the likes of Coutinho and Henderson to step up.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2014, 03:59:52 pm »
We need more goals from midfield...I think Lallana will contribute quite a few when he starts to get on a run but we massively need the likes of Coutinho and Henderson to step up.

Henderson is shackled currently, needs unleashing.

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2014, 04:03:47 pm »
The idea of playing Sterling as the 2nd man up top was bandied about this summer. Its quite heterodox but I think it could work, he has movement and pace to play off Balotelli.

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2014, 04:04:18 pm »
Henderson is shackled currently, needs unleashing.
Don't think he was really shackled against West Ham.