Author Topic: Liverpool v Middlesbrough (League Cup - Pre Match Thread), Tuesday 23/09/14 7:45  (Read 33584 times)

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
Is Coutinho injured or where is he? I seem to have missed the news on this.
injured

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
We've played them all. We've even switched midgame a few times.

Rossiter is a technically gifted ball-winner, though he usually plays deep, he can get up and down for sure.

Would you feel comfortable with Rossiter and Lucas as a double-pivot? How would you classify that compared to Lucas and Spearing, for example? Better, about the same, or likely to be worse?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
Would you feel comfortable with Rossiter and Lucas as a double-pivot? How would you classify that compared to Lucas and Spearing, for example? Better, about the same, or likely to be worse?
Lucas of Lucas-Spearing partnership was one of the best in league.
Lucas now is  :-\.
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
Would you feel comfortable with Rossiter and Lucas as a double-pivot?

Considering our midfield options, this is the most sensible solution to me. Rossiter could have the security of Lucas with him and a midfielder in front of them could take away the pressure for him to create in attack.

People around here have grown to hate 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with 2 deeper midfielders, but it's all about personnel, tactics, and the opposition. It could be the first competitive game without Gerrard starting for about 8 months so it's interesting to see how Rodgers plays it.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
It would be very bad for morale if we lost here, or indeed got anything other than a convincing win. We need a result, and a good one at that. Scraping a 1-0 or 2-1 win and being defensively suspect will only pose further questions and add to the pressure before the derby. We need to win, and win comfortably without looking like we're prone to conceding at any given moment.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
It would be very bad for morale if we lost here, or indeed got anything other than a convincing win. We need a result, and a good one at that. Scraping a 1-0 or 2-1 win and being defensively suspect will only pose further questions and add to the pressure before the derby. We need to win, and win comfortably without looking like we're prone to conceding at any given moment.

Same could be said for Everton, who host Swansea. No surprises there if they got knocked out. What use is there contesting a 3rd round game in a cup if you have a cup final on Saturday?
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Same could be said for Everton, who host Swansea. No surprises there if they got knocked out. What use is there contesting a 3rd round game in a cup if you have a cup final on Saturday?

Aye, but I suppose getting knocked out by Swansea would be a bit better than Middlesbrough, no? Not that getting knocked out at all is any good, but at least being beaten by a Premier League team would soften the blow. It's all about morale as well - we've dug ourselves a mini-hole right now which we need to get out of, and losing the chance of silverware this early in the season would be another (albeit minor) blow that we really don't need at this point in time.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
It's only the league Cup and remember big clubs don't bother unless they get to the Final. ;)

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
This match has a huge upset potential. Boro' is gonna throw everything they have at us and if they manage to outwork us, our class might not be enough to win this match.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
              Jones

Manquillo  Toure Sakho Enrique

Lucas

Lallana           Rossiter

Markovic

Lambert Borini

My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
It's only the league Cup and remember big clubs don't bother unless they get to the Final. ;)
Any cup would be nice so that ' Rodgers hasn't won a thing ' parade would shut up.
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
Jones should only get the nod if he has a real chance of playing Everton , I'd play the same back four also that will play weekend.

We have to force an understanding, and if that means they have to play tonight then so be it.

I'd also play Lucas as a pure DM. Possibly in a 2-1, but remove Brendans's 'controller' aspect of that role.

13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Pedro Chirivella could also be an alternative to Rossiter. Quite excited to see some of the youth team players get a run out.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
Jones should only get the nod if he has a real chance of playing Everton , I'd play the same back four also that will play weekend.

We have to force an understanding, and if that means they have to play tonight then so be it.

I'd also play Lucas as a pure DM. Possibly in a 2-1, but remove Brendans's 'controller' aspect of that role.

Not really. Just remove the deep-lying play-maker aspect of the role added to the 'controller' role by BR in honor (and to maximize the returns from the use) of Gerrard in that position.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Pedro Chirivella could also be an alternative to Rossiter. Quite excited to see some of the youth team players get a run out.

He's on just come back from a fairly long injury, can't see him playing at this level today, despite his performance for the u18's most recently.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
              Jones

Lucas

Markovic

Lambert Borini

I partly agree with this line-up, but Rodgers told in his press conference that he hasn't got the right players at the moment to play the diamond ("The 4-4-2 diamond worked really well but it worked well with certain players and not at the weekend. Until I get all the players back that I know are multifunctional players, I’ll look at the strength of the players we do have fit. Hopefully that gives them confidence. Confidence has not been affected so far but if you don’t win games for too long it can be.").

So I'm rather expecting his traditional 4-3-3:

-------------------Jones--------------------
Manquillo----Toure------Sakho-----Enrique
-------------------Lucas--------------------
------Rossiter---------------Lallana--------
Markovic-----------------------------Borini
-------------------Lambert-----------------

By the way, where is Suso? Maybe he will play instead of Lallana? Or is he injured too?
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan

So current Lucas+Rossiter < erstwhile Lucas+Spearing, then?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
GK
Manquillo Skrtel Toure Enrique
Lucas Rossiter
Markovic Suso Lallana
Lambert

or

GK
Lucas Rossiter
Suso Lallana Markovic
Lambert

If we're going to rest definite starters for the derby and give a chance to Suso, for me.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I do think if we keep the diamond we have to play Lucas there, people are less inclined to mark Lucas, simply because he doesn't have the attributes Stevie has, but he'll move the ball side to side, in to feet, he's a water carrier, now put a man on Lucas, like villa and west ham did. Your not taking anything away from Lucas' game, he'll just do the same thing.

Right now Gerrards game is being nullified and teams aren't just gonna stop putting a man on him in that position if it's working. Throw a curve ball in there, leave him out for one game, Christ. What's the worse that could happen, we lose like the last two times? We don't really seem very flexible, Giggs was getting rotated a lot at this age, so was Scholes. It happens, your not shitting on some legends career or disrespecting them because your trying something different or giving them a rest.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
Not really. Just remove the deep-lying play-maker aspect of the role added to the 'controller' role by BR in honor (and to maximize the returns from the use) of Gerrard in that position.

Still think that might be a bit much for him.

I'd like to see us strip that area right back, we have obvious problems there.

13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
              Jones

Lucas

Markovic

Lambert Borini

Rossiter (if he's playing) should go in alongside Lucas. I fear he might get a bit lost if he's played ahead of a DM. At present he's much more developed as the DM or playing in a double-pivot. The games against Brondby and then Tranmere in pre-season was a good indicator of this.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again

Christ, that brings back the memories. Have to say, I'm made up for little Jay though - he's gone on to make a nice career for himself. Still fairly young and captain of Bolton in the Championship. Shows what effort and determination can get you.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So we all reckon rossiter is starting then?

Momentous occasion if so.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
I do think if we keep the diamond we have to play Lucas there, people are less inclined to mark Lucas, simply because he doesn't have the attributes Stevie has, but he'll move the ball side to side, in to feet, he's a water carrier, now put a man on Lucas, like villa and west ham did. Your not taking anything away from Lucas' game, he'll just do the same thing.

Right now Gerrards game is being nullified and teams aren't just gonna stop putting a man on him in that position if it's working. Throw a curve ball in there, leave him out for one game, Christ. What's the worse that could happen, we lose like the last two times? We don't really seem very flexible, Giggs was getting rotated a lot at this age, so was Scholes. It happens, your not shitting on some legends career or disrespecting them because your trying something different or giving them a rest.

This is the obvious answer.

But say we do what you've said and we demolish Boro'. Brendan decides to try it in a league game, and we take on the appearance we did when Lucas last played there and start winning every game. What then ?

You've effectively retired Gerrard. because like Lucas, he has to play at the bottom of the diamond, different roles mind, but his position on the pitch is the 'same'.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
So current Lucas+Rossiter < erstwhile Lucas+Spearing, then?

Rossiter is much more talented than Spearing but he's only 17. A 23 year old Spearing and a more in form Lucas are miles ahead.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline kevin87

• Kopite

GK
Lucas Rossiter
Suso Lallana Markovic
Lambert

If we're going to rest definite starters for the derby and give a chance to Suso, for me.

this is the team id like to see,

lambert laying the ball off to suso, lallana and markovic with rossiter having the security of lucas next to him and Lallana working hard in front of him.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
Any cup would be nice so that ' Rodgers hasn't won a thing ' parade would shut up.

Rodgers disagree.

Seriously fans always come out with that trophy shite. 

If he wins one then its "only" some trophy.

Like fuck it is. It's a trophy you cant get your hands on punk.

Its like having Jennifer lawrence as your gf and your mate comes out with its "only" Jennifer lawrence. :jong

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Must win...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Is This on telly?
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline sturridginho

• Kopite
Is This on telly?
In Australia its on Sentana

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
Is This on telly?

Yeah lad.

Sky showing it.

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
  • Kick Out The Jams, Motherfuckers!

But say we do what you've said and we demolish Boro'. Brendan decides to try it in a league game, and we take on the appearance we did when Lucas last played there and start winning every game. What then ?

You've effectively retired Gerrard. because like Lucas, he has to play at the bottom of the diamond, different roles mind, but his position on the pitch is the 'same'.
Nothing wrong with the outcome of that scenario whatsoever, is there?
(Not that it is ever going to happen).
"Reuniting Status Quo would be like trying to get your own dick up your arse - impossible."
St Francis De Rossi

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

It's quite simple, you do what is best for the team. If by some stretch we play better as a team with no Gerrard then you don't play Gerrard. Anyway having Gerrard come of the bench for the last 20mins and doing what he does best at the top of pitch would hardly be a lamentable situation. I don't personally see any issues here beyond an emotional one.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
Nothing wrong with the outcome of that scenario whatsoever, is there?
(Not that it is ever going to happen).

Nothing wrong at all, if it benefits the team.

And no, it's not likely to happen, and that sentence alone makes me worried about the first.

I'd like to see the GK, and CB's that will start the derby played tonight. Lucas in front absolved of all duties other than protecting the defence.

Play Rossiter just in front of him, Lallana just beyond Rossiter.

We've a real problem in that area, I'd like to see it pared right back to it's most simplistic form. Then, and only then will we be able to identify just where the problem stems from.

GK(Everton)

CB(Everton)            CB(Everton)

Lucas
Manquillo                                                                                                  Enrique

Rossiter

Lallana

Any 3 from the available personnel.

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Yeah lad.

Sky showing it.
ah nice one, cheers lad.
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Any suggestion that youth will get a run out?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night

rodgers actually looks older there than he does now
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Any suggestion that youth will get a run out?

Yep, Rossiter starting, Ojo probably on bench all we know so far

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yep, Rossiter starting, Ojo probably on bench all we know so far

How do we know Rossiter is starting? I thought it was just a rumour
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How do we know Rossiter is starting? I thought it was just a rumour

It's not 100% confirmed but the Liverpool based journos have basically all said he is starting