Author Topic: Liverpool vs Spurs (A) - Sun 31st Aug - 13:30 KO - SS1  (Read 65899 times)

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool vs Spurs (A) - Sun 31st Aug - 13:30 KO - SS1
« Reply #200 on: August 28, 2014, 02:31:46 pm »
Hopefully we can get 3 points from this, though a draw would be an ok result too.

Manquillo in for Johnson and Markovic in for Coutinho. Balotelli and Lallana to come off the bench later in the game.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2014, 03:00:49 pm »
It looks like 1st team trained today in green bibs. If it's correct - Sakho starts (Skrtel injured), Mario on the bench.

^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2014, 03:11:49 pm »
It looks like 1st team trained today in green bibs. If it's correct - Sakho starts (Skrtel injured), Mario on the bench.

I thought bib theory only works for training the day before a match? Don't think we can draw much on training teams 3 days before.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #203 on: August 28, 2014, 03:39:45 pm »
My Spurs colleagues here at work think theirs will beat us thoroughly on Sunday. It seems they are just as capable at exploiting our weaknesses as Man City and have a defense equally capable of shackling our attackers, largely based upon their good home form against the mighty QPR. (I didn't offer much retort, because that's all pretty ridiculous.) I'm normally fairly indifferent to Tottenham, and actually rather enjoy it when they beat our rivals, but now I hope we play them off the park. Two weeks of silence would be brilliant.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:47:03 pm by wemmick »

Offline acezz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #204 on: August 28, 2014, 06:14:09 pm »
I forgot Balotelli signed, that's how unbelievable it is. Hope he gets some minutes.

Mignolet
                 Manquillo  Lovren  Sakho  Moreno(Enrique)
                                         Gerrard
                                  Hendo  Coutinho
                            Sterling             Markovic
                                       Sturridge

This is assuming Skrtel is injured. Lallana to come on as well if he is fit.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: August 28, 2014, 06:16:37 pm »

Skrtel came in for a scan today so could have a niggle and wasn't available to train. 

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2014, 06:46:49 pm »
Tottenham team to play AEL Limassol: Lloris, Naughton, Vlad, Kaboul, Davies, Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho, Lennon, Townsend, Kane #THFC

Hardly any of them are likely to play sunday right?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2014, 06:48:45 pm »
We'll destroy them if we meet in the CL playoffs! Oh, wait...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2014, 06:50:44 pm »
Lloris; Naughton, Chiriches, Kaboul, Davies; Dembele, Sandro; Lennon, Paulinho, Townsend; Kane

Their team for tonight

edit: beaten to it  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:52:41 pm by GlenJohnson2 »
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »
Tottenham team to play AEL Limassol: Lloris, Naughton, Vlad, Kaboul, Davies, Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho, Lennon, Townsend, Kane #THFC

Lloris and Kaboul the only players I'd expect to start on Sunday

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2014, 06:51:59 pm »
I feel like Sturridge was so much better when Lambert came on alongside him. I really feel we get the best out of Sturridge if we played Balotelli with two up top in a diamond.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2014, 06:52:49 pm »
Lloris and Kaboul the only players I'd expect to start on Sunday

Thanks Tommy!

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2014, 06:53:11 pm »

Lloris and Kaboul will most likely start. Some of the others on the bench.

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2014, 06:54:13 pm »
Lloris; Naughton, Chiriches, Kaboul, Davies; Dembele, Sandro; Lennon, Paulinho, Townsend; Kane

Their team for tonight

edit: beaten to it  :)

Don't think any of them will play Sunday.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2014, 06:59:10 pm »
Don't think any of them will play Sunday.
Lloris ;)
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

Offline TobyLFC

• or not Toby LFC, that is the question
  • Kopite
  • Golf is amazing!
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2014, 08:47:57 pm »
Imo we have to play with two strikers, Sturridge/Balotelli or Sturridge/Lambert. We look much more dynamic with two.
it comes down to reality, and it's fine with me cause I've let it slide...

Offline creed111

• Anny Roader
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »
I feel like Sturridge was so much better when Lambert came on alongside him. I really feel we get the best out of Sturridge if we played Balotelli with two up top in a diamond.

In fairness, if we go two up top it really should be Lambert from the start.

Three reasons why, trying to use Brendan's own words and not my own speculation and insight:

1) Meritocracy - Brendan has always preached performances warrant starts (although if ruthlessly true, it begs the question what Glen has done to/for Brendan in his personal life to overlook the meritocracy dynamic). Lambert's played MAYBE 30 minutes for us combined and has been involved in 2 goals, almost a 3rd.

2) Fitness - Brendan mentioned Mario only having had played 3 45-minute games during his AC Milan preseason, so give Lambert the start and bring on Mario with a half-hour to go (or even at half-time depending) and help build his match fitness up

3) Tactical Understanding - One's been at the club for over a month, the only barely a week. Enough said. However I wouldn't be surprised to see us stick with the 4-3-3 with Sterling and Markovic either side of Danny (which IF Brendan wants to go with the 4-3-3, which I'm not for but that is irrelevant really, then I'd prefer that front 3 to almost any other we have right now). 

Caveat: With the international break coming after this weekend's fixtures, I'd also like to see Lambert start as he is less likely to play in the 1st international match, therefore he can put in a energetic shift for us and not have to worry about pulling something from over-exertion come midweek next week. By the same token, Mario could get 30ish minutes for us, then still be fresh to start Italy (which is relatively likely he'll start). This would not only reduce the risk of an overexertion injury (see Sakho's versus Chelsea and Gerrard's vs West Ham last season to see the impact of too many minutes too fast) for Mario but only allow him to get more minutes under his belt.
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

- Tyrion

Offline Almo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2014, 09:33:47 pm »
Looking forward to this, and hoping to see a bit of Mario with Sturridge. Going to be a bit weird, will be sat on my hands with the Spurs lot behind the goal opposite the travelling kop. Will be cheering inside with you lads!!

Offline Bendomac

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2014, 09:35:45 pm »
Manquillo Lovren Sakho Moreno

Gerrard

Henderson                      Markovic

Sterling

Sturridge                        Balotelli

Simply put I think we need to play 41212 against all the top teams.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2014, 09:38:14 pm »
Benteleb, Capoue, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Adebayor.

Our front 6 pisses all over that.

Offline Wernerred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2014, 09:41:15 pm »
Vigoroux
Manquillo-Ilori-Lovren-Moreno
Lallana-Can-Allen
Markovič-Lambert-Origi

This is what we need. proper Rodgers team. He choose. Not these slow wasters like Gerrard and lucas. works for me in FM. come on redmen

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2014, 09:47:40 pm »
out of our first 3 matches this is the most important. southampton win was expected, man city a draw would have been good, but this is a bigger test.  i want to win this badly, but with pochatinno they are resurgent, and they play good football like us. granted i havent seen spurs play with the new manager, but by all accounts they are going well and its still early in the season.  we have the better players, they are at home. they will be majorly out for revenge after last year. i predict an away win, and expect a war. this is our first real test.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2014, 10:41:41 pm »
You lads would really allow a tie against these twats? We should fucking smash them! They aren't as good as they seem. They scraped by west ham, and played a headless qpr side. We can't keep conforming with ties against 5-10 place teams.
Seen us win everything

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:29 pm »
Until Can is fully up to speed I think the diamond with Gerrard deep is our best bet.

Allen and Hendo in the side positions and Sterling at the tip. I would start with Balotelli and Sturridge to keep Spurs occupied.

Tight win.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2014, 12:38:27 am »
We just can't play Gerrard who at times is slow as hell and out of position + attackers. We'd slaughtered.

Henderson energy is absolutely vital to our system and about Allen being "small" - people seem to forget how he absolutely destroyed Yaya Toure once. He played in 5:0 away match vs Spurs too.

Destroyed anyone is getting carried away and spurs where awful that day, if he starts consistently this season in a three man midfield watch out the results could be really poor. Don't think other clubs don't watch video of previous games and adapt their style of play.

Since couthino is rubbish away from home usually I'd swap him out for hendo
Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2014, 02:45:26 am »
Would like to see
SM

JM
DL
MS
AM

EC
JH
PC

MB
RS
DS

A 4-3-3 with Emre and Hendo doing the leg work in the two deeper lying midfielders role and Cou pressin ahead of them and Raheem and Balotelli each side of sturridge.
Easy to convert to a diamond if needed.

Last season we blitzed them with hard pressing midfielders. Can do same again.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: August 29, 2014, 03:17:23 am »
Last year when we beat, Southampton we played a very direct version of 4-3-1-2. In that game we looked to basically hoof the ball up to the attackers who used their pace to isolate Southampton defenders and cause them all sort of problems. We might play the same way with perhaps Lambert or Mario instead of Suarez. If spurs play anything like Southampton did last year and then we should stick with what works. The main thing should be bypassing there pressing game and exploiting the space behind there defence.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2014, 06:01:46 am »
The game will be won, by the team, manager, player who seeks to show Flare. The Tea Leaves shined bright like a Diamond and this should be the formation to be used if we are to succeed.

You really shouldn't encourage illegal activity. Flares are banned.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline random22

• Kopite
« Reply #228 on: August 29, 2014, 06:45:08 am »
Imo we have to play with two strikers, Sturridge/Balotelli or Sturridge/Lambert. We look much more dynamic with two.

Agree. Would like either pair to start and one of Lambert and Balotelli to replace the other in the second half.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: August 29, 2014, 07:21:28 am »
but with pochatinno they are resurgent, and they play good football like us. granted i havent seen spurs play with the new manager,

Contradiction alert!

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: August 29, 2014, 07:23:41 am »
My Spurs colleagues here at work think theirs will beat us thoroughly on Sunday. It seems they are just as capable at exploiting our weaknesses as Man City and have a defense equally capable of shackling our attackers, largely based upon their good home form against the mighty QPR.

They're a bizarre bunch.  Got a couple of mates who are of similar attitude and when you point out the 5-0 and 4-0 they look at you as if it never happened.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: August 29, 2014, 07:39:27 am »
It's hard to see where they outclass us on the pitch. But they've had a good couple of results lately so they'll be high on confidence. Defensively they aren't any good so id hope we get a lot of success going forward, if there is a worry then it would be in between Gerrard and the centre backs, Jovetic exploited it at the etihad, a Southampton lad kept getting in there the other week, we don't really seem to be doing much to stop that, so that's my main worry, if they get the likes of Lamela and Chadli in those positions. 

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2014, 07:41:28 am »
They're a bizarre bunch.  Got a couple of mates who are of similar attitude and when you point out the 5-0 and 4-0 they look at you as if it never happened.

This is the best thing, If you go on their forums, it never happened.

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2014, 08:23:19 am »
When I watched Spurs play West Ham in the first game, I was surprised at how many times they got done down the outside. West Han could easily have had one before the sending off and if they had a half decent striker, should have had two before the end of first half.

Even at full strength, their defence seemed quite narrow with Rose and Noughton but tucking in close to the CBs. Their problem in that game was that they didn't get a lot of help from the players ahead of them ie Capoue or Lennon.

They didn't press effectively either and this was against a pretty cumbersome West Ham team. I reckon if we move the ball quickly like City did to us on a few occasions we could beat their press and leave them exposed.

Either formation works for me, but I would go for one that would keep their fullbacks and wide players occupied so probably a 4-3-3 with Markovic starting ahead of Coutinho and the joys to create will be on Henderson and Allen.

At the back I would keep Moreno if he's fit and bring Manquillo on for Johnson.  Lovren and Skrtel to deal with the lone threat of Adebayor.

Can on for Stevie early in the second half to keep it fresh.

Think we will win and fairly comfortably.

Offline Craigthered

• Still Raging at Rafa. FAQ Off.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2014, 08:36:52 am »
Expecting a tough test here, if we look as toothless as we have done so far we are going to struggle.
STILL CENSORED BY CLOWN MODS. FAQ OFF!

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2014, 08:38:23 am »
Any reason why people are posting their fantasy starting xi's without Joe Allen in?

He was arguably our best paler against City

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2014, 08:41:15 am »
Any reason why people are posting their fantasy starting xi's without Joe Allen in?

He was arguably our best paler against City
Totally agree. Allen is vital in big games

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2014, 08:42:07 am »
Gerrard Hendo Allen

Depending on the formation Sterling Sturridge Balotelli/Sterling Markovic Sturridge

Be disappointed if we didn't win

Offline bathoz

• Kopite
  • Wants a showpony.
« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2014, 08:53:58 am »
What happened to stopping the weird line-ups polluting these threads?

Anyway, Lamela is coming good. Spurs are nowhere as bad as we think they are. They're going to press hard, they have a lot of physicality, have won three on the bounce and are at home.

This is going to be tough.

That said, their usual weak links are still looking fragile. The fullbacks still seem to be Walker and Rose (is Ben Davies being eased in?) who are not spectacular. Assuming Fazio (what a player) doesn't make it for the weekend, their centre-halves always seem to be less than the sum of their parts. And they still struggling for a good striker.

I'd be unhappy, but not completely surprised, with losing this; but content with a draw. That said, a win is possible, but wouldn't bet on it.
The opinions related above are in no way to be taken as anything more (or less) than those of an bored mind.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2014, 09:04:58 am »
Completely agree. It also allows Sturridge to drop off without us losing depth.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob