Author Topic: Defensive options  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Defensive options
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:13:31 pm »
So with the signing of Lovern, we now have quite a few options at the back. So what's our best setup?

We have

Cafu
Skrtel
Agger
Johnson
Enrique
Lovern
Toure
Kelly
Sakho
Coates

So what's our best 4? Does Lovern slot right in, or do we stick him on the bench?

Personally I think our best 4 at the back would be

Flanno    Skrtel/Lovern     Sakho    Enrique

Thoughts?

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Defensive options
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:25:17 pm »
So with the signing of Lovern, we now have quite a few options at the back. So what's our best setup?

We have

Cafu
Skrtel
Agger
Johnson
Enrique
Lovern
Toure
Kelly
Sakho
Coates

So what's our best 4? Does Lovern slot right in, or do we stick him on the bench?

Thoughts?

I think ideally it'd be:

Johnson/Flano   Lovren/Skrtel      Sakho/Agger      LB/Enrique

Perfect would be if Coates worked his way into 4th choice and we could sell one of Agger/Skrtel in January. Toure off to the MLS for a final pay day.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:32:59 pm »
At the moment, I'd go:

Kelly-----Lovren------Sakho------Enrique

Johnson is out of form.

Flanagan is good but still makes too many errors and gets beaten too easily for my liking.  Although he's getting better all the time.

Skrtel will challeneg the other two centre backs

Enrique is one of the best defensive left backs around.

I think Kelly is doing well in pre season and might be our best option at right back.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:35:15 pm »
I'd like to keep Toure in the squad, and send off Illori and Coates on loans. Kolo has so much experience from the very highest level, which we badly need.

Agger is probably leaving, since he's not gonna accept being 3rd/4th.  Then it's either Skrtel/Lovren or Lovren/Sakho I suppose. Looks good either way.

I seriously hope we get at least one FB for the first eleven, preferably on the right. This area is by far our weakest in comparison to the other top teams. That said, Flanagan on his best side and Enrique on the left would already be a significant step up.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 03:46:39 pm »

We have

Cafu
Skrtel
Agger
Johnson
Enrique
Lovern
Toure
Kelly
Sakho
Coates

Thoughts?
Illori and Robinson?

Personally I hope we don’t see the Skrtel and Sakho partnership again, they clearly do not complement one another. Agger is still one of our best defenders and footballers and it is no coincidence that we keep more clean sheets and win more points when he starts but you cannot rely on him to play a full season.

I’m still unsure whether Kelly’s long-term position is right-back, he has struggled for fitness for the last few years and running up and down the wing all game is going to put added stress on his body.

So I can see a situation where we may lose one or two centre backs permanently (Toure and one of Agger or Skrtel) and maybe loans for Kelly and Robinson. Would be happy with Lovren, Sakho, Illori and Skrtel/Agger as the central defensive options.

Full back still looks worrying though, Enrique is a great defender but is prone to making silly decisions while Johnson looks absolutely shot at the moment, he really looks like he needs a few months away to get his head straight. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 03:48:52 pm »
Illori and Robinson?

Ready to have as a backup this season? Not sure, I see both of them being loaned out and getting games somewhere else this season.

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »
we need to sell Toure and keep everyone else.

Agger-Skrtel-Lovren-Sakho for 2 places is mindblowing 8)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 03:52:05 pm »
Johnson/Flanno  Lovren  Sakho  Enrique

I'd like to see that given a run of games together. I really don't see much between Johnson and Flanno but would probably opt for the latter just.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 03:52:12 pm »
I'd sell Kelly, Toure, Robinson and Agger.
Loan out Illori.

We're well stocked anyway, just some fine-tuning needed.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 03:52:33 pm »
Ready to have as a backup this season? Not sure, I see both of them being loaned out and getting games somewhere else this season.
I'd be happy to have Illori as back-up this season, spend the season here getting the odd game here and there would help his development.

Agree Robinson should have another year on-loan somewhere hopefully at a Premier League team (should sound out Southampton......).
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 03:53:39 pm »
I think we've fucked up loaning out Wisdom. For my money he's better than Johnson, Kelly and Cafu.

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 03:53:44 pm »
I'd sell Kelly, Toure, Robinson and Agger.
Loan out Illori.

We're well stocked anyway, just some fine-tuning needed.

I just can't imagine Agger wearing a different jersey... :-\

He must stay,with him we have 4 world class CB and the season is going to be very,very long...

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 03:54:11 pm »
I've seen a lot of Skrtel-Lovren and Lovren-Sakho mentions, but what do people think of a potential Lovren-Agger partnership? (ignoring that Agger might be the most likely to be sold)

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 03:55:24 pm »
I've seen a lot of Skrtel-Lovren and Lovren-Sakho mentions, but what do people think of a potential Lovren-Agger partnership? (ignoring that Agger might be the most likely to be sold)

It's an option, but I really think any back 4 (if we are talking best of the best) should include Sakho.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 03:55:48 pm »
I just can't imagine Agger wearing a different jersey... :-\
He must stay,with him we have 4 world class CB and the season is going to be very,very long...

It's strange isn't it - but I'm uncertain he's willing to battle it out with Sakho for the position.
Not looking to make it about Agger - so let's just skip it.

Overall we're good, we'll be much better then last year and I'm still expecting one or two fullbacks.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 03:56:16 pm »
I'd sell Kelly

Is there any point?

He is probably on such low wages and we wouldn't get hardly any fee, we might as well keep him (or loan him) and see if he can get back to his best.

I was very worried about him last season, but I think he is looking much better in pre season.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 03:56:24 pm »
What about playing 3 at the back?

Skrtel       Agger/Lovern      Sakho

Flanno                                                                Enrique

?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 03:57:26 pm »

Probably be the slowest CB pairing in the league.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 03:57:55 pm »

?

Did Van Gaal become our manager?

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 04:02:09 pm »
we'll be much better then last year and I'm still expecting one or two fullbacks.

I think what we need in defense is a left back and nothing more...in the right I think we are fine with Johnson,Flanagan and Kelly.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 04:02:20 pm »

?
Don't we basically do that anyway when Gerrard drops into the Agger/Lovren position when in possession?

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 04:07:18 pm »
We did have Hyppia and Henchoz and did us little harm. Pace with no positional sense is next to worthless.

There may be better [technical] footballing reasons why that may not work, though.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 04:09:32 pm »

Lovren slow? - can't say i spent an awful lot of time watching him last year....
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 04:10:12 pm »
We did have Hyppia and Henchoz and did us little harm. Pace with no positional sense is next to worthless.

There may be better [technical] footballing reasons why that may not work, though.

We played a very different style back then which suited having two slower players, if we want to play the way we do now then we'd get mullered by even a little bit of pace against us with those two starting IMO - great positional sense or not.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 04:10:45 pm »
Lovren slow? - can't say i spent an awful lot of time watching him last year....

It was Southampton fan's main issue with him from what I've read.

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 04:13:25 pm »
With who we have at the moment:

Flanagan  Lovren  Sakho  Enrique

Please no Johnson. So frustrating and half-arsed. I remember Enrique being very frustrating as well (particularly with lobbing the ball forward towards Suarez all the time), but we have to see what he's like now he's back.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 04:14:23 pm »
It was Southampton fan's main issue with him from what I've read.

Be interesting to see how high a line we play, might see a different approach this year then...sat a bit deeper and using our pace to hit teams on the counter. Would seem a bit daft to shell out £20m on a defender with little pace to then go and play a high line.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 04:19:43 pm »
Ideally, I'd like our defence to look something like this in the near future:

?? | Sakho | Lovren | ??

Backed up by:

Enrique | Agger/Toure | Skrtel | Flanagan + Kelly

However, come the Southampton game I can see Brendan going with:

Enrique/Flanagan | Lovren | Skrtel | Johnson

I think Johnson's time with us is up.  I've always stood by him when he's come under fire but I think it's clear for most to see now that his legs and his motivation have gone.  I can see one of, if not both of Agger/Toure leaving and I also believe that had Enrique not spent most part of last season out injured that he'd be on his way out too.

With things how they are though, I'd expect Enrique to share game time with a new left back (if we can bring one in) and also Flanno.  Hopefully, with the addition of Manquillo we can move Johnson on but if not I'd expect Manquillo, Johnson and Flanno (and Kelly) to rotate on the right.

I can see Coates being sold/loaned out and Ilori sent on another loan too.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:35:00 pm by gray19lfc »

Offline BostonScouse

• grumbles more after a win - clueless muppet or diamond fella?
  • Kopite
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 04:23:36 pm »
Moreno                     Lovren   Skrtel     Johnson
Enrique/Flanagan     Sakho    Ilori        Manquillo

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 04:27:34 pm »

Not at all. Pace covers a multitude of mistakes. The problem is when that player loses their pace, their mistakes are exposed. Positional sense, of course, lasts with or without pace.

But pace on its own is a good thing.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline CoventryYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 04:31:56 pm »
First Choice

Flanno Lovren Sakho Enrique

Second Choice

Johnson Coates Agger Robinson

Can see Skrtel being moved on and us keeping Coates to be honest.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2014, 04:38:40 pm »
For the opening game of the season I would play

Enrique Lovren Skrtel Johnson

Flanno and Sakho would have to wait for their competitors(Skrtel & GJ) to slip up and get their chance. Creating a pecking order that is fair. As long as you put in top class performances you have chance to cement ur spot in the team.

Offline Pricey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 04:38:52 pm »

?

If we signed someone like Moreno for left back i think it'd be a fantastic option.

The only stumbling block i'd say regarding this is Gerrard. At the moment he's virtually a 3rd CB as he drops in. If you play 3, the two in front tend to need legs, which Gerrard doesn't have.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2014, 04:45:01 pm »
Sakho can definitely become one of the best in a few years. The only concern is with his style of tackling which is at times reckless. I think Skrtel is of the same mould but with a better control, hopefully as time passes by Sakho keeps in check that part of his game. Agger again is of a completely different mould, more like those Italian center-backs of the yesteryears who tackle with style and panache (generally).

In what category would Lovren fall is still unclear as I have seen both sides of his game too often.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2014, 04:49:14 pm »
Sakho can definitely become one of the best in a few years. The only concern is with his style of tackling which is at times reckless. I think Skrtel is of the same mould but with a better control, hopefully as time passes by Sakho keeps in check that part of his game.

Sakho can't be that reckless, didn't even pick up a booking last season for us.

Offline Pricey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2014, 04:52:59 pm »
Sakho can't be that reckless, didn't even pick up a booking last season for us.

Perhaps by Reckless he means "front foot" which he certainly is. His style is more prone to getting booked but it's astonishing he never got one.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 04:53:07 pm »
Hope we'll go: Johnson (preferably new RB), Lovren, Sakho, Moreno

Think we'll go: Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren, Enrique
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 04:55:53 pm »
Wouldn't hate Sterling at wingback if we decided to play 3 at the back.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 04:56:31 pm »
Wouldn't hate Sterling at wingback if we decided to play 3 at the back.

Other than would probably cut out at least half his goals.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 04:57:41 pm »
I want to see Can in back three, even if it's just for a friendly.