Poll

How do you think Suarez will do at Barcelona?

Better than Messi
Messi level
Sub Messi, better than Eto'o, Ibrahimovic etc. Ronaldinho maybe.
Pedro level
Flop

Author Topic: Luis Suarez  (Read 551195 times)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Luis Suarez
« Reply #4240 on: July 27, 2020, 11:28:33 am »
Players celebrating for their new team will never bother me, as long as you don't do an Adebayor go ahead and celebrate with your new team.

Suarez was amazing for us in his time here and that's what I'll judge him on

The current front 3 won us big ears and number 19 so have comfortably surpassed him and every other set of forwards we have had in the last 30 years. But on an individual basis, not for me
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:30:46 am by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4241 on: July 27, 2020, 11:52:00 am »
Couldn't have put it better myself. With each passing year, I grow ever more ambivalent and the memory of his goals fade, not least because we now have 3 forwards who are on a higher level, both individually and as a complete attacking unit.
I love our front three but let's not go overboard. No one in this league has touched peak Suarez as an attacking player in the last decade.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #4242 on: July 27, 2020, 01:56:16 pm »
Likewise, I'm glad they have eclipsed his achievements with us, by some distance too. Also, that Sadio, Bobby and Mo are genuinely humble and free of the shite Suarez regularly brought upon himself, just further highlights the upgrade. You only have to look at a player like Salah, and how he "celebrated" at Anfield when ripping his old club (and future goalie teammate) apart in the 2018 CL, and compare that to a disrespectful Luis at the Nou Camp. That's the thing about pantomime villains I guess, they love to be booed.

Salah had every right to celebrate against Roma. He should have done. Just as Suarez had every right to celebrate against us. You score a goal for your club, especially in a Champions League semi (but really in any match), you definitely should be celebrating.

I know it has become the established convention over the last 10 years to not celebrate goals against former clubs because it is somehow disrespectful. But it is not actually disrespectful is it? People are just precious

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4243 on: July 27, 2020, 02:25:54 pm »
Salah had every right to celebrate against Roma. He should have done. Just as Suarez had every right to celebrate against us. You score a goal for your club, especially in a Champions League semi (but really in any match), you definitely should be celebrating.

I know it has become the established convention over the last 10 years to not celebrate goals against former clubs because it is somehow disrespectful. But it is not actually disrespectful is it? People are just precious

Think it's been a bit longer than 10 years but I agree fully with everything you said. People were behaving like broken hearted school girls when he scored. In the end we had the last laugh but fcking hell, grow a pair!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4244 on: July 27, 2020, 02:27:20 pm »
Well said. His reaction to his goal at the camp nou and his general attitude on the pitch was shite, considering that the club backed him more than any other club would during his situations. In hindsight we shouldn't have.

Don’t really get that mate. We backed him as much as we should back any of our players.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4245 on: July 27, 2020, 02:31:58 pm »
I love our front three but let's not go overboard. No one in this league has touched peak Suarez as an attacking player in the last decade.

Don't go overboard? This team won our first title in thirty years, why shouldn't people be celebrating them? I don't even care if they don't haven't reached the peak of Suarez. I care more that they have enabled us to realise our dreams of winning another title and done it without the dramas that came with Suarez. I understand that some people loved watching the player, I get all of that, but the idea of putting him onto some pedestal after everything that came with him, I just find really strange.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4246 on: July 27, 2020, 03:18:34 pm »

Really?  Because I seem to remember a season recently where Salah scored more goals than Suarez did in a Liverpool shirt.

Suarez is indeed an outrageous talent, and been highly consistent both for Liverpool and Barcelona.  But whilst we will all agree that the "he may be a cnut, but he's our cnut" argument holds up, I much prefer the forwards we have now, who are far humbler both on and off the pitch.

Let's see where the likes of Mo and Mané are in two or three years before we try to compare them to Luis.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4247 on: July 27, 2020, 03:53:11 pm »
Don't go overboard? This team won our first title in thirty years, why shouldn't people be celebrating them? I don't even care if they don't haven't reached the peak of Suarez. I care more that they have enabled us to realise our dreams of winning another title and done it without the dramas that came with Suarez. I understand that some people loved watching the player, I get all of that, but the idea of putting him onto some pedestal after everything that came with him, I just find really strange.
Who's asking you not to celebrate them or like them more than Suarez? Why are you steamrolling into a Suarez thread demanding that people celebrate other players when we've done that for the last few years and they have their own threads?

Really?  Because I seem to remember a season recently where Salah scored more goals than Suarez did in a Liverpool shirt.

True, but he also played more games and set up fewer goals. Again, our current front three are devastating, but none of them have hit the same level individually that Suarez did that season, where he was also one off topping the assist charts, and all without taking a single penalty (though he was winning most of them).

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4248 on: July 27, 2020, 04:26:48 pm »
Don’t really get that mate. We backed him as much as we should back any of our players.

I'm talking about specifically in regards to the Evra case and the biting incident.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:30:01 pm by You think you'd learn by now »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4249 on: July 27, 2020, 04:43:34 pm »
Who's asking you not to celebrate them or like them more than Suarez? Why are you steamrolling into a Suarez thread demanding that people celebrate other players when we've done that for the last few years and they have their own threads?

True, but he also played more games and set up fewer goals. Again, our current front three are devastating, but none of them have hit the same level individually that Suarez did that season, where he was also one off topping the assist charts, and all without taking a single penalty (though he was winning most of them).

My first post had nothing to do with any of that anyway, it was you who suddenly decided for some reason we shouldn't go overboard with our current players.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4250 on: July 27, 2020, 05:11:21 pm »

I also seem to remember us singing "We'll throw a party when Suarez wins a pen." ;)  The only season I remember us getting a decent run on penalties is 08-09, but I could be wrong on that.

We now have a team greater than the sum of its parts, so whilst Suarez is an outstanding individual footballer, we no longer need to rely on such a talent. We've got three strikers who are each at least 80% as good, and only just about to enter their prime. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4251 on: July 28, 2020, 12:02:31 pm »

I'm with you on this, and most of your last post. Will never understand how (except in extreme circumstances) seeing a sportsperson celebrate can be considered disrespectful.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4252 on: July 28, 2020, 12:19:56 pm »
I'm with you on this, and most of your last post. Will never understand how (except in extreme circumstances) seeing a sportsperson celebrate can be considered disrespectful.

It is disrepctful to your current club, team mates and supporters when you don't celebrate. I hate it when you see something like Mo (not singling him out) scoring an absolute worldie in a CL S/F and just standing there looking embarrassed.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4253 on: July 28, 2020, 12:23:44 pm »
It is disrepctful to your current club, team mates and supporters when you don't celebrate. I hate it when you see something like Mo (not singling him out) scoring an absolute worldie in a CL S/F and just standing there looking embarrassed.

Absolutely right.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4254 on: July 28, 2020, 12:35:55 pm »

There is a bit of an overreaction towards this I think. There can be a number of reasons over why a player chooses not to celebrate, maybe they're going through rough times away from football, maybe a comment has been said to them during a game. For every comment reported there will doubtless be many that don't get reported. Sometimes you have to accept that they are human and while its nice to think they should always celebrate scoring a goal, sometimes life is not perfect even for footballers. In the matter of scoring against a former club, I can sort of understand the feeling of not wanting to appear arrogant to former team-mates/colleagues. If we are using Mo as an example there have been a few moments when he's not been happy after scoring and I'm pretty sure he suffers from abusive comments more times than we're aware of. I always remember after he scored the penalty in the CL final he seemed to be making some sort of point and pointing at the Spurs fans. Everyone deals with stuff like that differently. It is hard to expect people to ignore stuff like that and pretend to be happy when they're not.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4255 on: July 28, 2020, 12:41:56 pm »
There is a bit of an overreaction towards this I think. There can be a number of reasons over why a player chooses not to celebrate, maybe they're going through rough times away from football, maybe a comment has been said to them during a game. For every comment reported there will doubtless be many that don't get reported. Sometimes you have to accept that they are human and while its nice to think they should always celebrate scoring a goal, sometimes life is not perfect even for footballers. In the matter of scoring against a former club, I can sort of understand the feeling of not wanting to appear arrogant to former team-mates/colleagues. If we are using Mo as an example there have been a few moments when he's not been happy after scoring and I'm pretty sure he suffers from abusive comments more times than we're aware of. I always remember after he scored the penalty in the CL final he seemed to be making some sort of point and pointing at the Spurs fans. Everyone deals with stuff like that differently. It is hard to expect people to ignore stuff like that and pretend to be happy when they're not.

Again not picking on Mo, its only because we see him all the time, but he did it against Chelsea and Roma - he actually looked apologetically at their fans. I have seen other players do it too, Benteke springs to mind.
Jurgen YNWA

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4256 on: July 28, 2020, 12:45:47 pm »
Again not picking on Mo, its only because we see him all the time, but he did it against Chelsea and Roma - he actually looked apologetically at their fans. I have seen other players do it too, Benteke springs to mind.

I know you're not picking on Mo. I was using him as an example, as I have seen in other goals that he hasn't always celebrated, sometimes I guess players have bad days.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4257 on: July 28, 2020, 12:52:47 pm »

Well there's celebrating against a former a club, and there's Wayne Rooney slapping/kissing the United badge in front of Everton supporters. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4258 on: July 28, 2020, 12:55:28 pm »
I know you're not picking on Mo. I was using him as an example, as I have seen in other goals that he hasn't always celebrated, sometimes I guess players have bad days.

Yeah, I was one of those who was worried he had off field issues when he didn't celebrate against teams he never played for.

Back onto Suarez, I loved the mad bastard but at times I hated him too. He was always going to be a short term player here, Mooro said it would be 3 years before he fucked off andf he was spot on. What was annoying as fuck was he left us without giving us a season in the CL, he bit to force the move and he was suspended far too much. The current front 3 wouldn't let us down like he did.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4259 on: July 28, 2020, 12:56:03 pm »
Well there's celebrating against a former a club, and there's Wayne Rooney slapping/kissing the United badge in front of Everton supporters. ;D

:lmao
Jurgen YNWA

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4260 on: July 28, 2020, 01:18:21 pm »
Yeah, I was one of those who was worried he had off field issues when he didn't celebrate against teams he never played for.

Back onto Suarez, I loved the mad bastard but at times I hated him too. He was always going to be a short term player here, Mooro said it would be 3 years before he fucked off andf he was spot on. What was annoying as fuck was he left us without giving us a season in the CL, he bit to force the move and he was suspended far too much. The current front 3 wouldn't let us down like he did.

Totally agree with that, you could see it coming a mile off.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4261 on: July 28, 2020, 03:19:50 pm »

1 red card between them in the 3 seasons they've all been together. Your post is spot on.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4262 on: July 28, 2020, 03:27:28 pm »

And yet he's in plenty of people's all-time Liverpool XI, bit mad.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4263 on: July 28, 2020, 03:47:17 pm »

Disregarding the baggage for a minute.

He was among the very best footballers that ever played for Liverpool. 
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline RedGuy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4264 on: July 28, 2020, 06:37:05 pm »
I still get surprised when I rewatch his highlights. A bit of a shame how it turned out

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4265 on: July 29, 2020, 01:27:12 pm »

On purely football ability and his influence on the field, he is one of the best I've ever seen at Liverpool and I've watched Keegan, Dalglish, Souness, Barnes, Beardsley, Gerrard, Alonso etc etc
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4266 on: July 29, 2020, 01:46:55 pm »
Loved the f*cker when he was here.  Admittedly frustrated as hell with the incidents he got himself involved in.

His antics against us when we played Barca - really pissed off at the time.

On reflection though, and words from Gerrard recently on Suarez have made me slightly warm again to him.

Suarez played in training the way he played on the field.  Full commitment, would run over his granny to win the game/ tackle - competitive or not.

Some might not like it, but its what made him the player he is.

I don't think that he doesn't necessarily have loyalty or feelings - I think he does have fond memories of Liverpool, and they'll always be close to his heart - but he's one track minded, and everything else doesn't matter when he's on a mission.

Unfortunately, he wouldn't be quite the same player if he wasn't like that.  But that attitude doesn't always go down well with clubs or fans.

He's not a legend here in terms of achievements.  But in terms of sheer brilliance and talent and phenomenal moments - he is right up there.

I am glad we got to see him in a red shirt.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4267 on: July 29, 2020, 01:57:29 pm »
Loved the f*cker when he was here.  Admittedly frustrated as hell with the incidents he got himself involved in.

His antics against us when we played Barca - really pissed off at the time.

On reflection though, and words from Gerrard recently on Suarez have made me slightly warm again to him.

Suarez played in training the way he played on the field.  Full commitment, would run over his granny to win the game/ tackle - competitive or not.

Some might not like it, but its what made him the player he is.

I don't think that he doesn't necessarily have loyalty or feelings - I think he does have fond memories of Liverpool, and they'll always be close to his heart - but he's one track minded, and everything else doesn't matter when he's on a mission.

Unfortunately, he wouldn't be quite the same player if he wasn't like that.  But that attitude doesn't always go down well with clubs or fans.

He's not a legend here in terms of achievements.  But in terms of sheer brilliance and talent and phenomenal moments - he is right up there.

I am glad we got to see him in a red shirt.

I remember one of the fitness coaches saying that after the players had gone home, they'd find him practising shooting, free kicks etc. They banned him from staying behind as they didn't want him overtraining, so he'd sneak into the gym instead and they were having to go searching for him and throw him out.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4268 on: July 29, 2020, 03:55:36 pm »
he is the kind of player you love on your team but hate when he is the other side.

to me he is the best forward in a red shirt that i have seen. Ridiculous amount of talent married with an insane desire to win at all cost.

but that desire carries a lot of baggage unfortunately.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4269 on: July 29, 2020, 03:57:34 pm »
I think it’s a pleasure that even during barren times we had incredible players like him at our club.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4270 on: July 29, 2020, 05:51:38 pm »
I think it’s a pleasure that even during barren times we had incredible players like him at our club.

Yea I was thinking about that over the thirty years the number of world-class and fantastic players we've had is astonishing.
Torres, Suarez, Gerrard, Alonso, Owen, Robbie and Macca, Reina, Hyypia, Agger, Masch, Hamann

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4271 on: July 29, 2020, 05:54:05 pm »
Yea I was thinking about that over the thirty years the number of world-class and fantastic players we've had is astonishing.
Torres, Suarez, Gerrard, Alonso, Owen, Robbie and Macca, Reina, Hyypia, Agger, Masch, Hamann

And that's not counting the current batch.

You could include Rush and Barnes, even though they were at the tale end of their careers.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4272 on: July 29, 2020, 08:39:09 pm »
Moreover, we had a number of those players here at the same time.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4273 on: July 30, 2020, 03:14:56 pm »
Our 'barren' times really haven't been barren compared to most clubs  ;D

On purely football ability and his influence on the field, he is one of the best I've ever seen at Liverpool and I've watched Keegan, Dalglish, Souness, Barnes, Beardsley, Gerrard, Alonso etc etc

Of course, I just couldn't personally pick someone who only won a League Cup and only played for us for three full seasons.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4274 on: July 30, 2020, 06:57:23 pm »
I would say Coutinho was world class during his time here too. Probably others I've forgotten in the gap between the league titles. Crazy that players of his and Torres quality didn't win a single thing, and Suarez only won the Carling Cup.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4275 on: July 30, 2020, 07:00:32 pm »
People always talk about dropping prime Torres or Gerrard into this current side, both of which would improve us.

If we had Suarez of 13/14 in our squad over the past few seasons, I genuinely think we'd be looking at a level of football equal to Guardiola's peak Barcelona years. With (even more) trophies to accompany it.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4276 on: July 30, 2020, 09:21:42 pm »
Suarez is genuinely one of the best to have ever played the game IMO. As a number 9 he's right there with Brazilian Ronaldo for me. In the Messi and Ronaldo era he's the only player who has earned the right to be in the same conversation. Only twice has someone other than them won a European golden boot since 2010, both were Suarez, one each with us and Barcelona. We were an exciting team but to win that individual award for us while Ronaldo and Messi were at the top of their games playing for teams who won 6 nil most weeks is an unreal achievement. He's underrated by many, mainly because he was so easy to dislike, but while he was in the league nobody would've taken Aguero over him and he is now regarded as possibly the best striker in premier League history.

I think he's always come across as a sound bloke away from the pitch. He tried every trick to leave but then so did Van Dijk and basically every other player we've signed from a club lower down the league than us. That's his agents job. He always treated the club with great respect and you only need to look at his reaction after that palace 3-3 to realise that he truly cared. He gave absolutely everything for us.

His temperament of course is something to behold, it's both the flaw in him and his strength. It means he never misses games and he's always on it but it also means you're open to losing him for 10 matches for taking things too far (to put it mildly).

There's Suarez the man who comes across humble and polite, Suarez the player who is a freak and insanely talented, and Suarez the competitor who would do absolutely anything to win. Expecting a bloke from Uruguay who's fought for everything to have unswerving loyalty to our club is naive. Expecting Suarez to come up against us and not try every trick to win is even more naive. It doesn't mean that he doesn't have a big soft spot for the club when he isn't in the heat of battle.

I absolutely adore him as a player but I neither hold a grudge nor particularly idolise him. We eventually moved on and achieved everything we wanted to without him. He moved on and spent his best years playing for the club of his dreams, winning everything and sharing a stage with the best player to have lived. Everyone's a winner.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4277 on: July 31, 2020, 01:09:38 am »
As a number 9 he's right there with Brazilian Ronaldo for me.

Nah, not even close.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #4278 on: July 31, 2020, 01:27:30 am »
With one season left on his contract at Barca, would have him back on the cheap as a stop-gap front 3 supporting act. He'd still gel incredibly well with the front 3 and would be another excellent teacher for our young players.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4279 on: July 31, 2020, 03:41:47 am »
With one season left on his contract at Barca, would have him back on the cheap as a stop-gap front 3 supporting act. He'd still gel incredibly well with the front 3 and would be another excellent teacher for our young players.

Wouldn't be cheap and wouldn't want to play second fiddle even at this age. That's a hard no from me