Poll

How do you think Suarez will do at Barcelona?

Better than Messi
Messi level
Sub Messi, better than Eto'o, Ibrahimovic etc. Ronaldinho maybe.
Pedro level
Flop

Author Topic: Luis Suarez  (Read 551138 times)

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Luis Suarez
« Reply #4120 on: April 14, 2018, 10:33:54 pm »
To be fair, I wouldn't necessarily view English speaking Barca fans as representative of their fanbase.

Should be a given, really.

English is much more spoken around the world, which can lend credence to international PL teams' forums. But in the case of Spanish, Italian or what have you, at least going through what I have read in Spanish and then in English language fanbases, they're very disconnected, and the first ones are the ones that matter, really.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4121 on: April 15, 2018, 04:16:14 pm »
He's paid his respects to the 96 today on his Instagram. I know it's probably moderated by an agent but we all know he understood the club and the city. My favorite Liverpool player.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4122 on: April 15, 2018, 04:28:32 pm »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4123 on: April 16, 2018, 10:04:57 am »
He's paid his respects to the 96 today on his Instagram. I know it's probably moderated by an agent but we all know he understood the club and the city. My favorite Liverpool player.

Yeah but even if it is, other recent former players don't do it. Coutinho , Sterling for example.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4124 on: April 16, 2018, 10:07:47 am »
Yeah but even if it is, other recent former players don't do it. Coutinho , Sterling for example.
Coutinho posted something yesterday from his Instagram.

Someone posted it on LFC Reddit.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4125 on: April 16, 2018, 10:10:59 am »

Luis definitely got it, his hearts in the right place
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4126 on: April 17, 2018, 11:02:44 am »
Kudos to him for doing that, always a Red. YNWA Luis!

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4127 on: April 17, 2018, 01:14:52 pm »
I have mixed feelings about this guy.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4128 on: April 17, 2018, 01:54:55 pm »

Sturridge didn't either which was surprising

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #4129 on: April 17, 2018, 09:01:15 pm »
Sturridge didn't either which was surprising

Not really, he always was me, me, me.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4130 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:44 pm »
Not really, he always was me, me, me.

He's done it before. This whole narrative about him being like that is bs.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #4131 on: April 18, 2018, 04:34:57 am »
Going off Barça fans on reddit (I know...) he was terrible again today in spite of the goal he scored. Missed a sitter and screwed up several attacking plays. Apparently his touch is completely gone, and it was never that great to begin with.

He might just be tired as well, Barça are terrible at rotating their forwards.
Ok...

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4132 on: April 18, 2018, 11:29:27 am »
Ok...

Hah I was gonna quote that too. I suppose watching Messi for 10 years would make anyone look shit with the ball at their feet.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4133 on: April 18, 2018, 11:30:38 am »
Ok...
Hard to see that claim and not think of this isn't it?

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #4134 on: April 18, 2018, 01:05:38 pm »
Ehh, never found Suárez 'silky' on the ball like Iniesta, Coutinho etc. He's more about instinctive plays, as is Mo IMO

He has world-class talent but in an 'unpolished' way, at least that's how it always seemed to me.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Longwood NY

• Main Stander
  • Innit
« Reply #4135 on: April 18, 2018, 02:41:36 pm »
^Agreed. I would never say his touch was anything special like Coutinho. He would often take a heavy first touch and give it away. It was his tenacity and creativity that would often see him get past players.

But when it worked, it worked (see Newcastle goal above)

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4136 on: April 18, 2018, 03:02:34 pm »
He's not silky on the ball but I did think he always had a good touch myself. Kick it up to him he'd control it, then get past you in that unorthodox way. Doesn't have that finesse of a Coutinho but still great ball control if you know what I mean? That's how I remember it anyway (don't remember a particularly inconsistent first touch I have to say, heavy touches when dribbling perhaps). Suppose might be nitpicking over 'touch' though, but in terms of no. 9s certainly I'd say his was always great.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #4137 on: May 2, 2018, 11:58:45 am »
Superb footballer. Best I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4138 on: June 15, 2018, 12:41:33 pm »
There's an open disrespect, almost contempt, for him on the Barca forums, which is being aired in the wake of the Griezmann disappointment.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4139 on: June 15, 2018, 12:47:29 pm »
There's an open disrespect, almost contempt, for him on the Barca forums, which is being aired in the wake of the Griezmann disappointment.

I doubt Suarez even knows that forum exists and if he does, he won't give a shit about it. ;D

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4140 on: June 15, 2018, 01:21:12 pm »
im sure he’s terrified by things on the internet

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #4141 on: June 15, 2018, 03:07:44 pm »

I think it's largely because they all think he's overweight. His goalscoring is unquestionable but look at his physique now compared to when he was at Ajax and when he just signed for us and he was quick and nimble and could turn you inside out from wide areas. If it was still a slender Luis I can't help but think him and Cavani would dovetail much better but it looks a very flat system at this point and I doubt they'll do the sort of damage they did in in 2010.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4142 on: June 15, 2018, 06:23:39 pm »
Barca would be far more fluid if they played Coutinho,Messi and Dembele up front and had Suarez on the bench

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4143 on: June 15, 2018, 06:53:46 pm »
Suarez read that and replied: "Bite me!"
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #4144 on: June 16, 2018, 03:56:10 am »
I think it's largely because they all think he's overweight. His goalscoring is unquestionable but look at his physique now compared to when he was at Ajax and when he just signed for us and he was quick and nimble and could turn you inside out from wide areas. If it was still a slender Luis I can't help but think him and Cavani would dovetail much better but it looks a very flat system at this point and I doubt they'll do the sort of damage they did in in 2010.

I genuinely see no difference. Maybe it's just me though. I never remember him as having pace either. It was actually a criticism and one of the reasons he would "never be world class" from some of our own fanbase back when he was trying to make a strike partnership with Carroll.

I think that body shape and big arse it what gives him that low center of gravity, much like Maradona but in a less obvious way. Also, from a pure numbers point of view, I genuinely don't think there are many better in the world still in the final 3rd. He still makes other pure strikers look absolutely shite in comparison.

My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #4145 on: June 16, 2018, 06:53:05 am »
his numbers are great but it's like watching a completely different player now. It's probably because he is mind but in Uruguays case it's not always for the better. If you asked Suarez to play on the sides like he used to at Ajax with Pantelic or Huntelaar he'd probably look really bad at it now, but at the same time it's probably what they need. In the same way the assist he gave to Kuyt just wouldn't happen either anymore. He's stayed a great numbers player but I do think he's generally pretty useless outside the box now.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4146 on: June 16, 2018, 09:07:32 am »
5ft 12?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4147 on: June 16, 2018, 09:20:04 am »
I'm just watching the game between egypt and Uruguay now. There's just something in his movement, I don't agree with the overweight shouts but he doesn't look quite right. A bit heavy footed. He might of just needed these minutes to shake the rust off, but I've not watched him at Barca this season so no idea if this is a trend.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #4148 on: June 16, 2018, 10:56:40 am »
He must have played close to 60 games this season already, and he’s not exactly young anymore. I think his decline has been overstated a bit, but likely coming off a long season, his legs just aren’t what they used to be, hence the poor form.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #4149 on: June 16, 2018, 05:50:40 pm »
5ft 12?

It's a rounding issue with the data from Opta. They if you are less than 6ft, then you are 5ft something. So if you are 5,999999999999 tall, then you are 5'12". Stupid I know, but it is what it is.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4150 on: June 17, 2018, 12:59:48 am »
The mad fucker that was with us and the first two season's at Barca is gone. This current version is decent but not much more.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4151 on: June 17, 2018, 04:47:39 am »
He looks like he's built like a bull now. The difference in Ronaldo is subtle but he looks slimmer and I thought I was imagining it until I read that Ronaldo had in fact a couple of years ago, made a conscious decision to change his body shape a little to lose some of his upper body mass to retain speed over the next couple of years. Now, Ronaldo has always been quick and Suarez while quick was never that fast, but equally, I think doing similar could extend his career a bit as he's already strong enough. He looked very poor against Egypt in the world cup. Still decent and better than most but few levels below where he was playing for us.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4152 on: June 17, 2018, 01:21:19 pm »
He looks like he's built like a bull now. The difference in Ronaldo is subtle but he looks slimmer and I thought I was imagining it until I read that Ronaldo had in fact a couple of years ago, made a conscious decision to change his body shape a little to lose some of his upper body mass to retain speed over the next couple of years. Now, Ronaldo has always been quick and Suarez while quick was never that fast, but equally, I think doing similar could extend his career a bit as he's already strong enough. He looked very poor against Egypt in the world cup. Still decent and better than most but few levels below where he was playing for us.

It's more body fat than muscle bulk that slows you down.  Which is relevant, because - http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-take-a-bow-the-data-behind-cristiano-ronaldos-physical-condition-at-33-is-insane-20180406

I think if Suarez was put on a different diet, to effectively "cut" like body builders (although without the mad dehydration!), he'd regain some of the speed he apparently lost.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #4153 on: June 17, 2018, 05:58:13 pm »
Stories I hear from when he lived in Liverpool is that he used to get to Tesco and buy up a bunch of sweets, has a sweet tooth our Luis - he also owns a restaurant in Barcelona, like with anyone the older you get the slower your metabolism and he's probably finding the weight now sticks onto him.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4154 on: June 27, 2018, 01:02:18 pm »
Been watching videos of him from that incredible 13/14 season. 31 goals in 33 games is astounding. If you’ve got time I advise you to read his biography too, it offers some insight into his behavior on the pitch.
I’m so happy that he has a Champions League title to his name.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 01:38:08 pm by dalarr »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4155 on: October 6, 2018, 05:36:39 pm »
He was sending Spurs players for the Echo all night :D

But it was also a little sad watching Davinson wandering off, a man suddenly in the wrong movie. Squint at that part of the Wembley pitch as the night thickens above the floodlights and perhaps we’ll always have an echo of that lost Davinson, the ghost Davinson trapped between the lines

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/06/luis-suarez-barcelona-dummying-wembley-spurs

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4156 on: October 28, 2018, 06:58:36 pm »
Decent today v Madrid :D

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #4157 on: October 28, 2018, 08:03:30 pm »
And at the expense of that cretin, no less! ;D

Gave him a torrid time, the prick!

https://cdnja.r.worldssl.net/mp4/on/ONle.mp4
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 08:07:14 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #4158 on: October 28, 2018, 08:51:25 pm »
Give Ramos a little nibble Luis!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4159 on: October 28, 2018, 10:29:23 pm »
He's alright.  ;D

When I first saw the result, I thought my glasses were not strong enough. The second thought was they made a typo. The third was "Yeah, fuck you, Ramos!"
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."