Poll

How do you think Suarez will do at Barcelona?

Better than Messi
Messi level
Sub Messi, better than Eto'o, Ibrahimovic etc. Ronaldinho maybe.
Pedro level
Flop

Author Topic: Luis Suarez  (Read 551024 times)

Offline LFCrenaissance

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Luis Suarez
« Reply #3800 on: August 21, 2016, 05:41:14 am »
The committee had to buy according to rodgers philosophy though. They obviously failed to collaborate well enough to buy right. Somewhere down the road there was a lost in translation moment and you cant just blame it on one party.

Well considering they continue to make what appear to be mediocre buys, maybe you can. Or will be able to soon enough.

The variable is the manager. The constant is the front office setup.

Offline LFCrenaissance

• Main Stander
« Reply #3801 on: August 21, 2016, 05:45:27 am »
5 years from now when the next superstar is traded for 120 million, we'll look back at this and think that it's absolutely absurd and demand for FSG's collective heads...

My point is that retrospective re-evaluation players are often farcical when the current circumstances are not taken into account - an above average player now costs 20 - 30 million; they're worth around 10 - 20 million 5 years ago.

Not the point at all.

It was cheap then. 65M for one of the top 3 players in the world (you can argue he's been the best in the world since he moved). A couple years later, an above average midfielder moves for a total outlay of probably close to twice that, all fees included. Raheem Sterling moved for 15M short of what Suarez did?! Crazy cheap, best business Barca has done in years.

What would Ronaldo or Messi have cost? Suarez is outperforming them both.

It was daylight robbery. No reason not to demand the full release clause, which still would have been cheap.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3802 on: August 21, 2016, 07:11:59 am »
You expected the bunch that were so bad at buy were good at selling?

To be fair the World Cup incident really hurt his value because it drove off Real. He would have been the first 100M player if they had got into a bidding war.

Were never going to get full value for him with only one bidder. Not that it matters, would have just bought more shit.

Once you get a rep as a selling club, it's hard to shake it and players expect to get their way. Torres, Mascherano, Alonso set the rep.

Not much to disagree with there. Nonetheless, 64m or 75m, it's an absolute bargain for a player of his quality.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3803 on: August 21, 2016, 09:46:44 am »
17 goals in 6 games. We were robbed.

I do wonder what with the inflation in the past year or so and the money being thrown about this summer - what he'd go for. If Pogba is worth almost £90m, well...

I really hope Ronald winning the Euro's with Portgual (I know he went off in the final but still) doesn't stop Luis winning player of the year as he deserves it.

Offline dangerpuss

• A bit like bagpuss. But more.....um.....dangerous.....um.....
  • Kopite
  • Allez, allez, allez
« Reply #3804 on: August 21, 2016, 10:56:15 am »
I can't see Suarez getting the Ballon D'Or. He deserves it but he wasn't even on the short list last year. Clearly an agenda there.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:59:06 am by dangerpuss »

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #3805 on: August 21, 2016, 02:22:01 pm »
I do wonder what with the inflation in the past year or so and the money being thrown about this summer - what he'd go for. If Pogba is worth almost £90m, well...

I really hope Ronald winning the Euro's with Portgual (I know he went off in the final but still) doesn't stop Luis winning player of the year as he deserves it.

It was absolute robbery at the time, never mind with inflation. Everyone even then said a world record fee would have been fair.

Still, how we managed to sell him for £10m less than his release clause is incredibly ridiculous. Even by our standards.
Believe

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3806 on: August 21, 2016, 04:16:55 pm »
Unbelievable player, probably the best I've ever seen in my lifetime.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3807 on: August 22, 2016, 01:49:50 am »
Interesting - is he taking free kicks over there now too?

Maybe just until Neymar comes back?

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3808 on: August 22, 2016, 03:01:57 am »
It was absolute robbery at the time, never mind with inflation. Everyone even then said a world record fee would have been fair.

Still, how we managed to sell him for £10m less than his release clause is incredibly ridiculous. Even by our standards.
David Luiz moved for £50m the same time, give or take a year.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3809 on: August 22, 2016, 04:27:21 am »
The lad is priceless, no matter what we got for him it wouldn't have been enough.

Best in the world. And has been since 13/14. Its not even debatable anymore. Can he please come back next season?
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline del potro

• Main Stander
« Reply #3810 on: August 22, 2016, 02:41:56 pm »
He's quite ridiculously just getting better with age. We were ripped off. He's a player without a price and for me there's only 4 of those in the world at the moment. Ronaldo, Messi and Iniesta are the others for those wondering.
Iniesta? thats quite hilarious..

Offline del potro

• Main Stander
« Reply #3811 on: August 22, 2016, 02:44:04 pm »
I can't see Suarez getting the Ballon D'Or. He deserves it but he wasn't even on the short list last year. Clearly an agenda there.
He wasn't on the shortlist last year because Neymar was better in the treble winning season. He will be on the shortlist this coming year but he won't win it because Ronaldo finally got his hands on a major international tournament.. Ronaldo winning the Champions League probably would have been enough to clinch it in all honesty.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3812 on: August 22, 2016, 06:22:52 pm »

The lad is priceless, no matter what we got for him it wouldn't have been enough.

Best in the world. And has been since 13/14. Its not even debatable anymore. Can he please come back next season?

Come on, Messi is clearly better. Suarez would probably say the same thing if asked about it. Messi does way more in the build up phase, sets up most of Suarez and Barcelona's goals, and still posts ridiculous numbers.  I'd say Ronaldo and Suarez are at about the same level atm, but Ronaldo deserves the Ballon D'Or because he was central to Real winning the CL (The Wolfsburg hat-trick being the standout) and Portugal winning the Euros (Hungary and Wales games in particular). Having said all of that, come back home Luis, you mad mad bastard  :'( 

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #3813 on: August 23, 2016, 11:07:04 am »
We wuz fucking robbed I tell ya!

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #3814 on: September 12, 2016, 12:09:38 pm »
Luis Suarez has a higher combined total of goals and assists in his first 100 appearances for Barcelona than Cristiano Ronaldo managed in his first 100 games for Real Madrid.

source

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3815 on: September 12, 2016, 12:13:47 pm »
88 goals and 43 assists in 100 games, yet he isn't considered the best in the world and is never in contention for the honour.

He has been the best since his last season with us. Only now he has left us he is, rather predictably, starting to get plaudits from the wider media.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3816 on: September 12, 2016, 04:12:52 pm »
88 goals and 43 assists in 100 games, yet he isn't considered the best in the world and is never in contention for the honour.

He has been the best since his last season with us. Only now he has left us he is, rather predictably, starting to get plaudits from the wider media.

People are stuck in the cycle of only really looking at Messi & Ronaldo. Given he's won the CL and Euro's, Ronaldo will (just about) rightly win it this year but I honestly felt last year it should have gone to Suarez.

Of course he wasn't even in the top three.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3817 on: September 12, 2016, 04:16:21 pm »
Yeah nobody in the wider media thought he was any good when he was with us right?  ::)

He's hardly ever, even now, put in with Messi or Ronaldo, even Neymar. He's always an after thought to mention it seems whenever anyone writes about the best player in the world.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #3818 on: September 12, 2016, 06:09:07 pm »

To be fair he was getting plaudits his last season with us with most saying he was in the top 10 players in world football. I do agree though as far as discussing THE best player in the world he's never mentioned when for the past year he's undoubtedly been the best about.

People are caught in the rut of mentioning Messi or Ronaldo even though Ronaldo as an overall player hasn't truly been worthy of those claims for about 5 years now; yes he's still a phenomenal athlete and finisher but there's a lot of stat padding with him or being the player to get the 3rd,4th, 5th in a 6-1 rout. Contrast that to Luis who is usually the one who breaks the deadlock or gets them level as well as being a better all round player and it's impossible not to now say that-given his numbers- he's the best about, or at least par with Messi.

Personally love the chemistry him and Messi have as well, even down to the friendly one-upmanship that goes on between them.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #3819 on: September 12, 2016, 07:42:12 pm »
To be fair he was getting plaudits his last season with us with most saying he was in the top 10 players in world football. I do agree though as far as discussing THE best player in the world he's never mentioned when for the past year he's undoubtedly been the best about.

People are caught in the rut of mentioning Messi or Ronaldo even though Ronaldo as an overall player hasn't truly been worthy of those claims for about 5 years now; yes he's still a phenomenal athlete and finisher but there's a lot of stat padding with him or being the player to get the 3rd,4th, 5th in a 6-1 rout. Contrast that to Luis who is usually the one who breaks the deadlock or gets them level as well as being a better all round player and it's impossible not to now say that-given his numbers- he's the best about, or at least par with Messi.

Personally love the chemistry him and Messi have as well, even down to the friendly one-upmanship that goes on between them.

I prefer the chemistry between him and Sturridge.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #3820 on: September 12, 2016, 08:38:11 pm »
From Brendan's Champs League presser today:

“First of all, when you speak about Luis Suarez you have to speak about the man. Luis Suarez is one of the most beautiful men you could come across."

“Very humble guy, who works tirelessly at his profession. He is super-professional, a family man who gives everything for his life as a footballer and his family. I had the pleasure of working with him for two years and he was incredible and as a footballer, he is the best in the world."

“The biggest compliment you can give Luis is that he came to an already world-class team and he made them even better. And when I see them play now, Barcelona would not be the same team without Luis Suarez."
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:40:05 pm by SenorGarcia »
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3821 on: September 12, 2016, 10:32:52 pm »

“First of all, when you speak about Luis Suarez you have to speak about the man. Luis Suarez is one of the most beautiful men you could come across."

“Very humble guy, who works tirelessly at his profession. He is super-professional, a family man who gives everything for his life as a footballer and his family. I had the pleasure of working with him for two years and he was incredible and as a footballer, he is the best in the world."

“The biggest compliment you can give Luis is that he came to an already world-class team and he made them even better. And when I see them play now, Barcelona would not be the same team without Luis Suarez."

Like those words from Rodgers. It's a good point that he made Barca better. One of my all time favourites due to his goals, assists and because it's such a joy to watch him in action.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #3822 on: September 13, 2016, 03:04:34 am »
I prefer the chemistry between him and Sturridge.

I don't recall Messi and Sturridge playing together...
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3823 on: September 13, 2016, 09:53:00 am »
Love the Brodge and Suarez bromance.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #3824 on: September 13, 2016, 05:01:55 pm »

The last part absolutely nailed it but i cannot read the first two paragraphs without thinking of that Farley guy.  Haha.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3825 on: September 13, 2016, 11:49:59 pm »
His first goal tonight.....
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3826 on: September 14, 2016, 01:33:58 am »
The last part absolutely nailed it but i cannot read the first two paragraphs without thinking of that Farley guy.  Haha.

lol me too ... beautiful man ... a wonderful human being ... such character ;D
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3827 on: September 14, 2016, 04:52:25 pm »
Those stats are positively obscene,  :D

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3828 on: September 14, 2016, 05:56:59 pm »
He deserves the Ballon D'Or.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline Alanslad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3829 on: September 16, 2016, 04:49:38 pm »
Wish we could get him back

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3830 on: September 17, 2016, 12:38:31 pm »
68 goals in his last 58 games.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #3831 on: September 17, 2016, 12:46:02 pm »
Another goal and two assists today already and it's only half time.

What a fucking player.
Believe

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3832 on: September 17, 2016, 08:11:14 pm »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3833 on: September 17, 2016, 11:11:49 pm »
£70 odd million. A swindle of epic proportion.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3834 on: September 18, 2016, 12:28:36 am »
Felt at the time we got a shit fee.

These days I feel we were fucking ripped off.

Starting to prefer we forget the fella - honestly don't give a shit about him anymore.

Honestly, He doesn't fall into that category of ex red I genuinely care about. Daniel Agger for example - he's an ex red I still have affection for.

Great player mind. No denying it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:30:30 am by Vishy »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3835 on: September 18, 2016, 12:34:22 am »
Felt at the time we got a shit fee.

These days I feel we were fucking ripped off.

Starting to prefer we forget the fella - honestly don't give a shit about him anymore.

Honestly, He doesn't fall into that category of ex red I genuinely care about. Daniel Agger for example - he's an ex red I still have affection for.

Great player mind. No denying it.

Not sure if serious.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3836 on: September 18, 2016, 12:42:30 am »
Not sure if serious.

I'm serious. Maybe I'm just feeling bitter tonight. All the goals he is scoring for Barcelona hurts a bit.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3837 on: September 18, 2016, 12:55:39 am »
I'm serious. Maybe I'm just feeling bitter tonight. All the goals he is scoring for Barcelona hurts a bit.

Think its a bit bloody childish. Do you feel the same about Alonso?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3838 on: September 18, 2016, 01:26:13 am »
Think its a bit bloody childish. Do you feel the same about Alonso?

Sorry Dad

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3839 on: September 18, 2016, 01:35:42 am »
The only thing that's wrong with Suarez is that he didn't get the chance to lift the title in the Red shirt. But he graced it, and I'm glad for that.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."