Author Topic: Suarez and Liverpool FC  (Read 71079 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Suarez and Liverpool FC
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2014, 02:35:43 pm »
Not 100% sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes.

@English_AS: FIFA sources say Suárez' punishment has to reflect reality:"What's the difference between what he did & a head butt, or a deliberate elbow?"

@English_AS: Suárez minimum ban would be as for violent conduct: four matches, though could be more. All to be served with national team.

If this was true, I.e. a 4 game international only ban (& potentially is given it's not the FA judge and jury this time), I think I'd grab some beer and crisps and watch the fallout & reaction in the English media.  They'd explode, esp given the nature of the current relationship between FA/English media & FIFA.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2014, 02:36:48 pm »
No he did. Just interesting that these two had some sort of altercation this time last year.

So what sort of altercation was that?

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2014, 02:37:36 pm »
how is this a bigger news than England not winning a single game in WC?

" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2014, 02:39:05 pm »
So what sort of altercation was that?

Nothing that you don't see week in week out in the Premiership, but the images shows them squaring up to each other nonetheless.

Offline SmallwoodRed

• Kopite
  • remember april 1989
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2014, 02:39:36 pm »
Q: Why the hysteria around this as opposed to a head butt or elbow?

A: Because it crosses the boundaries of what we consider acceptable between people - even more so on a football pitch. The reality of this is actually ludicrous when you think about it bearing in mind what people do and say on a football pitch.

Q: Why is everyone talking about it?

A: Not because they think its serious its because they hate Suarez because he makes Liverpool successful. That is what this is all about in this country.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:41:49 pm by SmallwoodRed »

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2014, 02:39:55 pm »
No he did. Just interesting that these two had some sort of altercation this time last year. Just provides a bit more of an understanding as to why Luis bit Chellini, because looking back on the match I don't think Chellini did anything out of the ordinary to really frustrate him other than being a solid, Italian defender.

Penny drops...

I surprise myself sometimes at how slow I am...nagh...not really.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2014, 02:39:56 pm »
If this was true, I.e. a 4 game international only ban (& potentially is given it's not the FA judge and jury this time), I think I'd grab some beer and crisps and watch the fallout & reaction in the English media.  They'd explode, esp given the nature of the current relationship between FA/English media & FIFA.

Some of our own fans will explode too reading in here!

Offline morrisonlfc

• Main Stander
  • Life is only a dream
« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2014, 02:41:16 pm »
Coud you imagine if he had bitten Rooney, and then sent England out of the world cup, I think the world would have imploded.

The man obviously needs help.... But selling him is a crazy idea.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2014, 02:41:34 pm »
Good comment from Joey:

"Scouser Barton, no stranger to controversy himself, wrote on Twitter: “I love Suarez. I love his passion for the game. I would have him on my team everyday of the week. I am also aware you can’t defend him here."

The QPR man continued: "All things considered I’d rather receive a bite than a leg breaking challenge. Whilst he should be punished, it is not the end of the world. He’s a winner. If that means he occasionally steps over the line between right and wrong, than thats what comes with the territory...

“Nobody’s perfect...” "

Unfortunately, sanity will never win the day. Sky sports keep throwing in the occasional " let's not forget this has yet to be proven " remark , sandwiched in between their wall to wall " hang the fucker " reports .....it's fucking laughable ......never have I heard so many fans of other clubs giving their opinion on what is best for Liverpool FC. Fact is that they want us to sell him because they fear what we can achieve if he remains, nothing more....all they are doing is dressing it up in the excuses that unfortunately Luis keeps giving them. The best place for Luis is at Liverpool....if the club do decide to get rid of him based on this I would be disappointed but I don't believe it's down to anything about harming the image of the club bollocks. Some if the fans on the radio and telly are fucking pussies.....if they stick a microphone in your face, tell them to fuck off pronto.....let's not start pontificating about what's right and wrong on a football pitch or how it upset your kids or made your mrs faint when she saw the " evil Uruguayan " do it again. He is fucking mental at times but I absolutely love that mental fucker.....am I offended or worried about " harm it's doing to our image" or whether " he is a good role model to my kids ? " .....go and get fucked. FIFA will make a decision and then that's it .....it's not for Martin Tyler or other twats in the english media to police the game, as much as they would like to. If they try hard enough, the British media would probably have him tried for the Kennedy assassination as well ....yet these are the fuckers who are so outraged by his actions but were on the payroll of media corps who hacked into voicemails of a dead girls mobile phone.....shower of twats the lot of them

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2014, 02:42:40 pm »
Nothing that you don't see week in week out in the Premiership, but the images shows them squaring up to each other nonetheless.

Sorry I know you didn't exactly write the piece but its the sort of press speculation that makes my blood boil. No shots what-so-ever of any biting going on but hey ho we will say he attempted to bite him anyway.  :butt

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2014, 02:43:01 pm »
It's difficult to stand by and support our player when he's a repeat offender of biting people. Just the thought of it makes me nauseous. I mean, you'll have dirty players elbowing, headbutting, even two foot snapping someone's leg which are horrific...but biting is in a special league of it's own. The intent to use your teeth of all things to cause harm just doesn't sit right with me.

Even worse that it's obviously premeditated as the last two incidents have been unprovoked. This is not a moment of pure rage Zidane-esque, this is a preplanned moment of aggression in the lowest form possible.

I'm certainly not going to condemn him out of the club and demand he goes, but I'm not standing by Luis because he wears the red shirt. The management can do what they see fit at this point.

I don`t find it difficult to stand by a red man. It`s obvious he done it, so I won`t defend the indefensible, but won`t find it difficult to stand by him. What I do find difficult is someone putting Luis`s bite mark on another player (no blood drawn, just a very fucking strange thing to do) in a "league of it`s own" compared with elbowing, butting and two footed led breaking tackles.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2014, 02:47:02 pm »
In a few words.

Luis you tit !
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
« Reply #212 on: June 25, 2014, 02:47:18 pm »
Unfortunately, sanity will never win the day. Sky sports keep throwing in the occasional " let's not forget this has yet to be proven " remark , sandwiched in between their wall to wall " hang the fucker " reports .....it's fucking laughable ......never have I heard so many fans of other clubs giving their opinion on what is best for Liverpool FC. Fact is that they want us to sell him because they fear what we can achieve if he remains, nothing more....all they are doing is dressing it up in the excuses that unfortunately Luis keeps giving them. The best place for Luis is at Liverpool....if the club do decide to get rid of him based on this I would be disappointed but I don't believe it's down to anything about harming the image of the club bollocks. Some if the fans on the radio and telly are fucking pussies.....if they stick a microphone in your face, tell them to fuck off pronto.....let's not start pontificating about what's right and wrong on a football pitch or how it upset your kids or made your mrs faint when she saw the " evil Uruguayan " do it again. He is fucking mental at times but I absolutely love that mental fucker.....am I offended or worried about " harm it's doing to our image" or whether " he is a good role model to my kids ? " .....go and get fucked. FIFA will make a decision and then that's it .....it's not for Martin Tyler or other twats in the english media to police the game, as much as they would like to. If they try hard enough, the British media would probably have him tried for the Kennedy assassination as well ....yet these are the fuckers who are so outraged by his actions but were on the payroll of media corps who hacked into voicemails of a dead girls mobile phone.....shower of twats the lot of them

My son commented...he's paid to win football matches, that doesn't make him my moral compass.

Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2014, 02:47:37 pm »
Well, better this than him being caught up in another 'racism storm'. I've always been utterly convinced that Luis is not in any way racist, but have simply come to terms with him being a brilliant nutcase, and often his own worst enemy.

Had it been something racy, explicitly so this time, it would have been very hard for me to accept us closing ranks as Liverpool supporters and shieding him, biting back at the shit-flingers for him so to speak (in fact, in those circumstances, I wouldn't - just like I wouldn't happliy support the likes of John Terry were he playing for us). I think that's exactly what we're gona do here though (provided he hasn't already left the club), and I'm cool with that as long as we defo get him to talk to someone about all this, try to get him over this nonsense behavior.

I love him, but I won't simply ignore that he's a troubled child and hope his 'challenges' just go away.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2014, 02:49:30 pm »
Dan Roan - Adidas Executives holidng a meeting here in Rio about it's relationship with Luis Suarez. 
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

• Kopite
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2014, 02:49:55 pm »
I don`t find it difficult to stand by a red man. It`s obvious he done it, so I won`t defend the indefensible, but won`t find it difficult to stand by him. What I do find difficult is someone putting Luis`s bite mark on another player (no blood drawn, just a very fucking strange thing to do) in a "league of it`s own" compared with elbowing, butting and two footed led breaking tackles.

I hear ya...

I once had my cheekbone broken by an RAF Fireman during a game cos I was his wife's new toy, which I thought was a bit unfair cos she'd already bitten me.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2014, 02:52:52 pm »
Sorry I know you didn't exactly write the piece but its the sort of press speculation that makes my blood boil. No shots what-so-ever of any biting going on but hey ho we will say he attempted to bite him anyway.  :butt

I agree, it's lazy journalism focusing on the apparent 'attempted bite'. But what was interesting to me was the fact they had this run-in last year. Suarez played predominately down the left/centre last night whilst Chiellini was the left of three centre-halves so they weren't exposed to each other all that often. That's not to say even just one minor incident off the ball wouldn't have been enough of a catalyst, but I just can't recall those two having any run-ins during the match. Maybe others who watched it might be able to?

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2014, 02:53:46 pm »
I only thinks it affects LFC in the clubs responsibility in getting an employee some mental health/psychological help.
Its obvious its a mental health issue, yet the media demonise him. Yeah throw him in jail. Its like the middle ages/Salem witchtrials.
Lets demonise everyone who has a mental health issue. what sort of society are we?

He'll be rightly punished...probably a 12 match international ban, but whoever he palys for next season domestically I hope he gets help.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2014, 02:58:06 pm »
I only thinks it affects LFC in the clubs responsibility in getting an employee some mental health/psychological help.
Its obvious its a mental health issue, yet the media demonise him. Yeah throw him in jail. Its like the middle ages/Salem witchtrials.
Lets demonise everyone who has a mental health issue. what sort of society are we?

He'll be rightly punished...probably a 12 match international ban, but whoever he palys for next season domestically I hope he gets help.

Seriously? You really think it worthy of a 12 match ban?? Even the FA didn't give that! I honestly think fifa will give no more than about 4 matches, they are not influenced and provoked by the mass hypocritical press bombardment we get in the UK.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: June 25, 2014, 03:01:43 pm »
Dan Roan - Adidas Executives holidng a meeting here in Rio about it's relationship with Luis Suarez. 

It's this type of thing that pisses me off. Is anyone genuinely going to stop buying Adidas products because they sponsor Luis Suarez? Of course they're not.

He needs help, he needs support and he needs to be punished. Hopefully he'll receive all 3 and we'll stand by him again. I'm not going off on one about selling him, he's our best player and I want us to keep our best players. Call me immoral but he hasn't ever ended anyone's career, he hasn't ever been to prison for a some sick crime against a child or a female, he hasn't ever even been sent off for us. That's not to say he hasn't done things that are completely wrong but if I was a footballer I'd rather have someone bite my shoulder than be on the receiving end of a couple of the challenges Gerrard has put in over the years (using him as an example so I cannot be accused of being biased).

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #220 on: June 25, 2014, 03:03:29 pm »
It's brilliant when people use Joey fucking Barton as some kind of moral centre to the discussion.
 ::)
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2014, 03:04:34 pm »
Surely no one is realistically expecting a 1 year global / all football activity ban or anything of that gravity. A few international games, that's about it hopefully.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2014, 03:08:01 pm »
They've clearly just caught him mid-sneeze in that photo.

Nice picture of action during the match.

It was his left shoulder that was "bit", not his right.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2014, 03:08:20 pm »
Surely no one is realistically expecting a 1 year global / all football activity ban or anything of that gravity. A few international games, that's about it hopefully.
And it needs to be understood, in this case that alone is devastating.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #224 on: June 25, 2014, 03:09:00 pm »
Nice picture of action during the match.

It was his left shoulder that was "bit", not his right.

Plus Italy was in dark blue. Different game altogether. Which the article says.

Chellini's mouth is open as well, guess he's trying to bite Suarez.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2014, 03:09:22 pm »
OP really shares my sentiments.

I genuinely don't know where my opinions lie. My moral compass has been all over the place since the incident.

He's such a lovable rascal but I'm still not sure if it's gone "past that line" now.

I really want him to be open and honest about his inner demons. I've said it in a few threads, but I am so interested in it.
YNWA.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: June 25, 2014, 03:09:48 pm »
Plus Italy was in dark blue. Different game altogether. Which the article says.

Chellini's mouth is open as well, guess he's trying to bite Suarez.

that too..lol

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: June 25, 2014, 03:11:02 pm »
Find it odd some think we should consider selling him for what he's done, when the buying club (should that happen) wouldn't be bothered

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #228 on: June 25, 2014, 03:12:46 pm »
Genuinely can't see how anyone can deflect what he did, discuss the reasons for it, cry about how he'll be victimised by the media etc, Liverpool player or not.  ???

Deserves everything he gets. Ban. Mocked. Media over-reaction (it will be). Close your fucking mouth Luis and we wouldn't be looking worse trying to find pathetic ways in which to make it out like you're a victim in all this and excuses for the behaviour.

Reading this and the World Cup thread I wonder do members on here actually think about what they sound like squirming around trying to think of ways to make what he did any better?

Bit someone on the pitch. Something he's got close to 20 games banned for in the past. He's a fucking idiot at best. Great player that he is. Needs help badly.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #229 on: June 25, 2014, 03:13:45 pm »
It's brilliant when people use Joey fucking Barton as some kind of moral centre to the discussion.
 ::)

Where / who has done this?

All I've seen is people agreeing with what he said, which is far from doing what you suggest.

Offline apocalypse

• Kopite
« Reply #230 on: June 25, 2014, 03:13:45 pm »
I believe it would be suggested that players who repeatedly react with violent rage, such as punching, should be given emotional help, such as anger management. This is such an unusual offence to keep repeating, it's fair enough that the counselling offered should seek to address its psychological roots. Unless the suggestion is that Luis does this for a lark, trolling everyone, and there isn't something there he has difficulty controlling for his own good, and could really do with 'overcoming'?

And everyone poo-pooing any attempt at all to understand why this in particular is the way he expresses his uncontainabe frustrations on the pitch is a massive boring fat nobfaced cunt, no offence. There has to be some explanation, and Goddamnit, I'll get to the bottom of it, with or without your help!!

Lol. I gave an opinion on the why which was deemed speculation (which it was, obviously). Just as him having a mental problem is speculation since we don't know why he does it.

This is his go to frustration release on the pitch, he doesn't punch, kick or headbutt. Jumping to psychological issues seems a leap of logic to me.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:17:31 pm by apocalypse »

Offline stevenalonsa

• Legacy Fan
  • my d.o.b. 30.5.85 same as gerrard
« Reply #231 on: June 25, 2014, 03:13:46 pm »
Cant see it being more than 3-4 games to be honest...FIFA has much more common sense than FA..English media and some of the fans from rival clubs seems to be so disillusioned..I am not justifying his actions but i would take a bite rather than a two footed lunge or an elbow to my face...I feel really sorry for him and feel so bitter in my stomach when i see his face photoshop'ed  with all possible masks...

Hopefully this saga ends soon and we win us the league leaving the FA, English Press and the bitters clutching at straws..Counseling should help and hope our Management/Brendan doesnt fall into the trap of this eccentric media/facebook/twitter clowns..

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: June 25, 2014, 03:15:20 pm »
Bit someone on the pitch. Something he's got close to 20 games banned for in the past. He's a fucking idiot at best. Great player that he is. Needs help badly.

He did wrong but to sell him would be a mistake also

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #233 on: June 25, 2014, 03:15:21 pm »
Where / who has done this?

All I've seen is people agreeing with what he said, which is far from doing what you suggest.

The 'good lad Joey' stuff only comes out when he says something positive about LFC. When he Twitters his usual bollocks, everyone thinks he's a c*nt. Then he defends an LFC player and everyone suddenly uses him as a 'Joey said this...' part of their discussion. Who cares what he's got to say about it all anyway?!

He did wrong but to sell him would be a mistake also

I never said that.

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2014, 03:15:43 pm »
A quick question for everyone who claims to have Luis Suarez' best interests at heart:

If after a consultation with a clinical psychologist it was decided that it was in Luis' best interests to take an extended break from football while he seeks treatment for his problems, would you be as understanding?

If people on here were being honest they'd admit that they don't really give a fuck about Luis Suarez and his issues so long as he is banging in 30 goals a season.  In my view this is as morally bankrupt a position as fans of opposing clubs who just want to see him shipped out of England so they don't have to face him week in week out.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: June 25, 2014, 03:16:11 pm »
Herb
As a City fan and lover of football I have a lot of respect for those Liverpool fans on here who are simply appalled that their club continues to employ a racist cheat who repeatedly dives and fouls and even goes so dog low as to bite fellow professionals. To all of you who have wanted Suarez out due to his previous disgusting and ridiculous offences, and even to those who have come late and reluctantly to that opinion - I salute you.

To those of you who (like that sad arsehole Jan Molby) want Suarez to continue to represent LFC . . well there are shits amongst fans at most clubs and I hope your more sensible and seasoned brethren can sort you out because, much like the diving, biting, racist cheat who represents you, you're an embarrassment to football.

In saying the above I'd also like to say that we at City have our own embarrassing player (Yaya Toure who has allowed his agent to speak disrespectfully about our club) and, while he hasn't done anything even nearly as bad as that shit Suarez does on such a regular basis, we want him out and will give him murder next season if he stays.

We all have our cross to bear but yours is made of shit is all . . . so put it down eh?

As a LFC fan and lover of football I have a lot of respect for those City fans on here who are simply appalled that their club continues to suck from the teat of a state with such disgusting record of human rights violations. To all of you who have wanted the owners out due to their previous disgusting and ridiculous offences, and even to those who have come late and reluctantly to that opinion - I salute you.

In saying the above I'd also like to say that we are considerably better supporters than yeeeouuuuuw. blah blah.

We all have our cross to bear but yours is made of blood, false imprisonment, physical abuse, repression of rights etc. is all . . . so put it down eh?

Sanctimonious prick!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:18:08 pm by Craig S »

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: June 25, 2014, 03:16:59 pm »
Find it odd some think we should consider selling him for what he's done, when the buying club (should that happen) wouldn't be bothered

It's not odd at all. I want to keep Suarez, he is irreplacable, but we learnt yesterday that he has not been cured of this disgusting behaviour and probably never will be. So there is now a bigger risk that he will bite someone again while playing for Liverpool, and if he does he will be banned for half a season and we will lose a massive amount of money. It is totally reasonable to avoid that risk by selling him
Xerxes MBE

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: June 25, 2014, 03:17:48 pm »
Italians unwilling to make a meal of Suarez incident
Critics more concerned with World Cup exit as reality bites for Azzurri

Paddy Agnew

Wed, Jun 25, 2014, 14:23

First published: Wed, Jun 25, 2014, 14:23

Curiously, in the aftermath of the “disaster” of Italy’s World Cup elimination at the hands of Uruguay, Italian media this morning (or yesterday?) paid little attention to the contribution made by Liverpool striker, “Dracula” Luis Suarez.

Nearly all commentators argued that whilst Mexican referee Marco Antonio Rodriguez Moreno had certainly not helped Italy, first by sending off Claudio Marchisio and secondly by not sending-off Dracula Suarez, Italy had only themselves to blame for their second consecutive World Cup first round elimination, following that of South Africa four years ago.

“...And so Uruguay and Costa Rica, two countries which between them have fewer inhabitants that the region of Lombardy, have shown us to the door . . . Sure, in our worst mishaps, there is always a referee called Moreno (reference to Byron Moreno of Italy v S. Korea at 2002 World Cup) . . . but in truth there are no alibis nor excuses for a side that in two games fails to get a real shot on goal. Nor did the side ever look as if it could and would win,” commented Italy’s leading sports daily, Gazzetta Dello Sport.

Not that the boy Suarez goes unobserved. Writing in daily, “La Repubblica”, veteran football writer Gianni Mura is critical not only of Suarez but also of the post-match statements by Uruguayan coach, Oscar Tabarez: “The behaviour of the recidivist Suarez would suggest that Uruguay do not really deserve to qualify, or at the very least that Suarez should be banned thanks to the TV images. It was also sad to hear a maestro like Tabarez say afterwards that this was a World Cup for football not for cheapskate morality.”

Inevitably, much attention was paid to the post-match comments on Sky Italia TV by Juventus defender, Giorgio Chiellini, the player bitten by Suarez, who claimed that the game had been “decided” by the referee, adding: “Suarez is a slimeball but he will get away with this because FIFA want all their top stars to stay in the Finals. Let’s see if they have the courage now to use TV footage against him.”

Italian critical opinion is clearly focussed on a series of perceived Italian shortcomings – the false sense of security generated by the 2-1 opening game win over England; the tactical confusion generated by too many changes from coach Cesare Prandelli; the sides’s physical preparation given that Italy finished the game out on their feet; and inevitably, the failure of striker Mario Balotelli to deliver either against Costa Rica or against Uruguay, where he was substituted at half-time.

Nearly all commentators highlight the apparent dressing room tensions implicit in the post-match comments of captain and goalkeeper, Gigi Buffon. Without naming names, Buffon was critical of the younger players who failed to deliver, leaving it to ones such as himself, Barzagli, Pirlo and De Rossi to “pull the cart”. Most commentators argue that Balotelli was the prime object of that attack.

Several commentators also pointed out that Italy this morning woke up to not one but rather two “disasters”. By an unfortunate twist of fate, Napoli fan Ciro Esposito, shot by a Roma fan during skirmishes prior to last month’s Italian Cup Final in Rome, died in hospital last night. Noting that both coach Cesare Prandelli and Football Federation President Giancarlo Abete resigned in the immediate aftermath of the Uruguay defeat, “Gazzetta Dello Sport” commented: “Sometimes fate sends clear signals. Yesterday, our football came to a very sorry end of the road but the defeat does not concern merely those who took to the field and those who led them.

“This (the death of Esposito) was a defeat for the entire (Italian) football system which needs to be cleaned and revolutionised from the roots up, from the terraces to children’s teams and from the professional clubs through to the Federation”.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #238 on: June 25, 2014, 03:19:01 pm »
The 'good lad Joey' stuff only comes out when he says something positive about LFC. When he Twitters his usual bollocks, everyone thinks he's a c*nt. Then he defends an LFC player and everyone suddenly uses him as a 'Joey said this...' part of their discussion. Who cares what he's got to say about it all anyway?!

Agreeing with what he has said doesn't mean you don't still think he is a c*nt as you put it. Still can't see how that means people are using him as some 'moral centre to the discussion'.

I detest Gary Neville, but can't help but agree with a lot of what he says. Doesn't effect me disliking him still.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: June 25, 2014, 03:19:09 pm »
I never said that.

Didn't say you did. You've mentioned two threads though. One in which one suggested (laughably) to sack him or some said sell him. It's nonsense. He's made an error.

I don't think I've seen anybody defend him to be honest but he's nowhere near the "monster" being portrayed currently.