Author Topic: Louis Van Gaal was the Manager of Mourinho United  (Read 3912235 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Louis Van Gaal is still the Manager of Manchester United
« Reply #10400 on: September 1, 2014, 03:48:11 am »
Hoping Blind and Rojo can turn world cup form into consistent premiership form is risky.

To be fair, Rojo doesn't even have his work permit sorted out yet. Considering they lost Vidic and Ferdinand this summer, I would have thought ensuring they had a pair of high-quality CBs would have been their top priority, especially as they are now playing three at the back. They have less than 24 hours left in the window and their only CB signing doesn't even at the moment have the official clearance to play.

Offline Captain_Fantastic08

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10401 on: September 1, 2014, 03:51:25 am »
It's baffling that they didn't have defensive replacements lined up given the departures of Vidic, Rio, and Evra were all but forgone conclusions. 

Then again, maybe it isn't that baffling. They probably thought, "Oh, we're Man U, everyone will want to come play for us." And then they soon found out that they're becoming shite and a laughing stock.

Fcuk 'em
"When I die, don't bring me to the hospital. Bring me to Anfield. I was born there and will die there." -Steven Gerrard

Offline GoodKopBadKop

• Main Stander
« Reply #10402 on: September 1, 2014, 03:54:18 am »
Great signings yep. Shame they still have done little to get in a player that will fix their defence and midfield issues. Hoping Blind and Rojo can turn world cup form into consistent premiership form is risky.

I agree, they wont win anything with that defence and still lack a world class centre midfielder to hold, the trouble is you add that to a strike force of Falcao, Van Persie, Rooney, Mata, Di Maria etc and well.....

They are doing it in the wrong order probably but theyre basically 2 signings away from a ridiculous team, just have to wonder when the money will run out? can they keep spending like this? Glazers been bought out???
« Last Edit: September 1, 2014, 03:55:50 am by GoodKopBadKop »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10403 on: September 1, 2014, 04:13:26 am »
I agree, they wont win anything with that defence and still lack a world class centre midfielder to hold, the trouble is you add that to a strike force of Falcao, Van Persie, Rooney, Mata, Di Maria etc and well.....

They are doing it in the wrong order probably but theyre basically 2 signings away from a ridiculous team, just have to wonder when the money will run out? can they keep spending like this? Glazers been bought out???

Early days but that Strike force has looked anything but good so far and few of those players are probably past there prime or injury prone. Andy Wiemann has scored more goals that all of them combined FFS

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #10404 on: September 1, 2014, 04:13:29 am »
Remember that game last season when the only pass Van Persie made to Rooney was the kick off, and they played upfront together for 90 minutes?

Amazing that, Van Persie has really only been a finisher for them. Contributed very little in build up.
There's a similar pass-map showing Rooney and Van Persie against Sunderland, where the only pass is a 5 yard layoff in the middle of the Sunderland half.

One pass. In 75 minutes of football. I mean, how is that even possible?  ;D

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #10405 on: September 1, 2014, 04:18:44 am »
Remember that game last season when the only pass Van Persie made to Rooney was the kick off, and they played upfront together for 90 minutes?

Amazing that, Van Persie has really only been a finisher for them. Contributed very little in build up.
There's a similar pass-map showing Rooney and Van Persie against Sunderland, where the only pass is a 5 yard layoff in the middle of the Sunderland half.

One pass. In 75 minutes of football. I mean, how is that even possible?  ;D

Van Persie against Burnley was so selfish, but you can see that he's been trained to play the Ferguson way. Receive the ball, look to shoot, if the shots not on pass it out wide, and get in the box to get on the end of a cross. He never looks for a one-two or anything in the box, he must be an absolute delight to play with as a strike partner. His selfish arrogant play really matches his personality well.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #10406 on: September 1, 2014, 04:43:02 am »

You're falling for the 'names' and not actually considering the fact they're very unlikely to play well together. We've seen many times already that Rooney, RVP and Mata don't work well as a unit and I don't think this 'insane' attacking force is anywhere near as good as people think.

I believe will comfortably outscore them and when you add in their midfield and defensive options, they've managed to create a shit sandwich for obscene money. Woodward should be fired for gross incompetence. Also, is Van Gaal even happy with these 'name' signings that do little for his team's balance?

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10407 on: September 1, 2014, 04:51:14 am »

You really think just putting 5 big names attackers into a team will have them steamrollering everyone 10-0? Is Fletcher going to play in a 1 man midfield? Football does not work like that, hence why the galatico teams of the past have failed many times.. balance is key. Just look how long managers spend drilling players to systems and tactics and gelling them together.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2014, 04:56:45 am by OneTouchFooty »

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #10408 on: September 1, 2014, 04:55:36 am »
You really think just putting 5 big name attackers into a team will have them steamrollering everyone 10-0? Is Fletcher going to play in a 1 man midfield? Football does not work like that, hence why the galatico teams of the past have failed many times.. balance is key.
This United team isn't a galactico team, even if they like to think they are. Their signings might be incredibly expensive, but they are nowhere near "galacticos".

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10409 on: September 1, 2014, 05:01:53 am »
This United team isn't a galactico team, even if they like to think they are. Their signings might be incredibly expensive, but they are nowhere near "galacticos".

Of course not in the true sense but its like when they signed Mata and put him together with RvP & Rooney and people thought "unstoppable players...they can't lose!" Stuffing more expensive big names in the side regardless of style and system familiarity is asking for trouble.

Offline LFC_Verve

• Kopite
« Reply #10410 on: September 1, 2014, 05:11:17 am »
Our team has players like Allen, Hendo, Manquillo, Flanno etc who are not star players but they work there socks off and make everything click. United teams of past under Ferguson had players like Fletcher, Neville, Carrick etc who did the same but right now they have 4-5 World class players playing with 4-5 championship tier players. Out of there signings so far I have to say Blind makes the most sense.

Spot on.

Offline 21

• Barrack-room Hutz
  • Kopite
« Reply #10411 on: September 1, 2014, 05:37:52 am »
Can anyone explain what philosophy Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal trying to bed in?
Has a journo returned fire and asked him to detail what he means?

In shocking twist, vastly experienced manager throws out broad generalisations and mirages in the desert to avert pressure.

Surely he can’t keep hiding behind this bs for much longer.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10412 on: September 1, 2014, 05:50:00 am »

They really aren't because there is no visible strategy.  Assume that they get Blind (who's not world class) and a CB they still look a mess. Presumably it'd be:

De Gea

Rafael      CB       Rojos          Shaw

Blind

Even if that CB is Vidic in his prime I'd comfortably take any of the other top six teams defenses over that and without a world class CB it's a laughing stock. But the worst part is everybody is serviceable without being good. Moving forward to the attack, how do you get all those big name attackers to function? I'd probably go:

Herrera    Blind

Di Maria    Rooney    Mata

Falcao

Now that's pretty good but still a bit one paced and a Di Maria injury away from being average again. Really I think they need to invest in another 20m+ winger before I thought they were competitive with the other top Premier League attacks.

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #10413 on: September 1, 2014, 05:55:22 am »

Just been looking at your posts. You sure do have an interest in Man Utd don't you.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10414 on: September 1, 2014, 06:01:53 am »
Who out of Jones, Smalling, Evans and Rojos are physically capable of bullying the likes of Adebayor, Crouch, Lukaku, Benteke, Bony or Carroll?   

Smalling has the size but isn't good enough and the rest aren't physically imposing like Rio and Vidic were. It's going to cause them constant problems this season.

He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #10415 on: September 1, 2014, 06:20:59 am »
Who out of Jones, Smalling, Evans and Rojos are physically capable of bullying the likes of Adebayor, Crouch, Lukaku, Benteke, Bony or Carroll, or Balotelli, Dzeko, Costa, Jovetic, Diouf...

Smalling has the size but isn't good enough and the rest aren't physically imposing like Rio and Vidic were. It's going to cause them constant problems this season.

Offline CarraG238

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #10416 on: September 1, 2014, 06:21:11 am »
Falcao is the perfect signing for Man United, seeing as they have a world class midfield and defense.

Absolute lunacy to spend that much money on a player who's recovering from a torn ACL.
“It was the first game of the qualifying for us and well we can take a lot from it ,like I was talking to one of the guys from TNS about my internet connection at home and he said the reason I sometimes can't get on is because I am running the wrong browser with Windows 95 and he suggested I update to Windows XP” - 23 Carra Gold

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10417 on: September 1, 2014, 06:22:51 am »
Much rather these lot get Falcao then City.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #10418 on: September 1, 2014, 06:24:28 am »
Falcao is the perfect signing for Man United, seeing as they have a world class midfield and defense.

Absolute lunacy to spend that much money on a player who's recovering from a torn ACL.
Nice to see that they're taking the long-term view with their business. In two seasons they'd have Van Persie 33, Rooney 30 (with 3 more years at 300kpw), and Falcao 30, all on enormous wages blocking the path for anyone else and virtually unsellable.

... This is while we have Balotelli and Sturridge both in their primes at 27, and Origi at 22, plus whoever else we have signed by then. And Sterling will still only be 22  ;D

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10419 on: September 1, 2014, 06:24:37 am »

It's amazing to hope a rival team in your league (assuming they still qualify for that) sign a world class striker for comedy value but that is exactly what this would be

Unfortunately will never happen
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline the_maniac

• Boys Pen
« Reply #10420 on: September 1, 2014, 06:25:05 am »
I think they are learning from us and following the "we can outscore our opponents" rule.
Forever in our shadow  ;D

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10421 on: September 1, 2014, 06:25:31 am »
I'm starting to think they are not even buying the names, but the price tags.   They are literally begging in a loudspeaker "Fleece Us,  Fleece Us!!!!"  ;D

Falcao, Rooney, RVP, Mata, DiMaria in attack.

I'll laugh my arse off when we outscore them by about 30. Possibly the 2 most idiotic deals of the summer, this one and Di maria. Seriously, 120 million on an AM and a striker, while your defense has Jonny Evans as the 'leader'. The incompetence is comical, Commoli would do a better job there! ;D

Commoli really is not bad though his mistakes were expensive.  He got some very very good finds for Spurs and us.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #10422 on: September 1, 2014, 06:26:38 am »
It's amazing to hope a rival team in your league (assuming they still qualify for that) sign a world class striker for comedy value but that is exactly what this would be

Unfortunately will never happen
The only way a rival club signing Falcao would perturb me would be if Arsenal get him. Surely Arsene wouldn't open the checkbook for a 28 year old ACL-recovery-patient, no matter how good? Stranger thing has happened.

Not too bothered if he goes to City or United though. Should be entertaining following City trying to get rid of 4 players today to fund a move for him while United try desperately to convince him to sign for them instead. Can definitely see this one going down to the 11th hour with Jim White shouting about the City vs United battle for Falcao as United are ready to pay but Falcao keeps delaying to give City as much time as possible to close the deal  ;D ... and then Chelsea "swoop" and steal him from under everyones noses  :P
« Last Edit: September 1, 2014, 06:29:05 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10423 on: September 1, 2014, 06:33:22 am »
So what do we expect on Deadline Day from moneybags FC then ?

Outgoings:

Shitty little Pea
Possibly Welbeck > Sturridge
Kagawa - gone
Anderson - Would anyone take him ?
Cleverly - massive battle on for his prize signature it seems

Incoming

Daley Blind
Falcao - Huh ?
No good defenders
No good midfielders

What a bizarre transfer window they have put together. Hard to imagine how it could have been worse.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10424 on: September 1, 2014, 06:33:22 am »
I'm starting to think they are not even buying the names, but the price tags.   They are literally begging in a loudspeaker "Fleece Us,  Fleece Us!!!!"  ;D

Commoli really is not bad though his mistakes were expensive.  He got some very very good finds for Spurs and us.

Not just Spurs. We made 50m on Suarez and Henderson I think is a 25m player now.  Compare that to 30m or so lost on Adam, Carroll and Downing and financially speaking the Commoli/Kenny transfers were actually very successful.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10425 on: September 1, 2014, 06:34:27 am »
Not sure why anyone would laugh at any team for signing what probably is the best striker in the world.

Laugh at their priorities, but don't laugh at them getting Falcao... annoyed if they get him to be honest.

Exact same annoyance I felt when Chelsea and Man City started spending big on all those high quality players... they're now our strongest opponents and the main reason we can't feel even more optimistic about our chances than we do... strictly because they made purchases like Mata Di Maria and Falcao even though they shouldnt have been in a position to attract them :(
« Last Edit: September 1, 2014, 06:41:06 am by kcbworth »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #10426 on: September 1, 2014, 06:35:56 am »
Falcao to United... Ha ha ha!... And in January - Messi, Ronaldo, Neuer, Tiago Silva, Reus, and a few surprise others... Watch this space.

I can understand why Blind and Vlaar can go to Van Gaal, but why did Mata go to Moyes I'd never know. And for the same reason, I won't ever know why would Falcao go to United. If he does. If he wants to play in the CL, he's far better off staying in Monaco.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10427 on: September 1, 2014, 06:45:37 am »
Not sure why anyone would laugh at any team for signing what probably is the best striker in the world.

Laugh at their priorities, but don't laugh at them getting Falcao... annoyed they would go for him to be honest.

Exact same annoyance I felt when Chelsea and Man City started spending big on all those high quality players... they're now our strongest opponents and the main reason we can't feel even more optimistic about our chances than we do... strictly because they made purchases like Mata Di Maria and Falcao even though they shouldnt have been in a position to attract them :(

I accepted a long time ago that money talks and had braced myself for quality players coming in because I new they had money to spend. Success I thought was almost assured but we've watched and seen an extraordinary event these last few transfer windows that I couldn't have been happier with, it fucking brilliant.

And I like 99% of people here acknowledge the ability of Falcao and Di Maria. But if they get Falcao turn that frown upside down my friend because more of that "war chest" has been frittered away on expensive players they don't need that further unbalancing the squad.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2014, 06:47:08 am by DanA »

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10428 on: September 1, 2014, 06:56:40 am »
If they do get Falcao, they will have the best attacking 5 in the Premier League on par with Chelsea. All proven players.

Van Persie, Rooney, Falcao, Di Maria, Mata. That's very good, at least on paper. But unlike Chelsea, they don't have a settled back line. And then all of these 5 players prefer playing centrally, so how on earth is Van Gaal going to integrate all of them? That's gonna be a big question. A very unbalanced attack filled but with quality individual players .
« Last Edit: September 1, 2014, 06:59:10 am by liverpooll »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #10429 on: September 1, 2014, 07:16:18 am »
So, if they get Falcao, it's because PSG, Real, City and ourselves decided to pass on the option.

Good to know you're still a top draw isn't it?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #10430 on: September 1, 2014, 07:18:29 am »
 It's interesting to read the opinions of how come Manchester United are spluttering and farting their way this season thus far ( to 2 points from 3 games).
Leaving aside all historical bias/rivalries/hatred between our two teams ,my view on the global franchise that used to be my football club is that this franchise is deep in shit street - from both an on-pitch quality and in global business-promotion sustainability terms.

The nonsense of the now under the "leadership" of our Dutch manager is difficult for me to wrap my head around. 60 Mill for Di Maria when the screaming priority is EITHER to promote a home-grown top drawer central defender  (does such a talent exist in the ranks of United's Academy numbers and if not, what's the point having the academy?) OR securing the services of an international standard proven performer at this level from SOMEWHERE.
It's frankly sickeningly painful - never mind difficult - to try and recall exactly who was the football club's last home-grown central defender acknowledged to be of proven international standard.
Looking back over the 64 years or so since I started following United, names that roll out of memory tell me that Bill Foulkes who recently departed this world was the last home-grown centre half we've produced (and even that's subject to debate). David Sadler, Kevin Moran , a young and sober Paul McGrath and a luckier and less injury-prone Wesley Brown could have shouts for this particular home-grown title too although with the greatest respect - other than the excellent Paul McGrath in his prime - I could not hand on heart claim any were truly international quality standard defenders.
What is wrong with the business franchise that used to be my football club? In fact what HAS been wrong with the club's production of top class defenders since the early mid 1950's?

Almost all of the quality centre backs I can recall have been outsiders or imports beginning with Mark Jones and the incomparable Duncan Edwards (though Duncan was only a young lad when he signed . . .)through Big Jim Holton, Martin Buchan, Gordon McQueen,  Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister, Jaap Stam, Ronny Johnsen, Henning Berg, John O'Shea, Rio and Vidic.

Successful football clubs are not and never have been all about attack, attack attack. They always have been about the achievement of the right measure of balance and excellence between attacking flair coupled with midfield dominance and founded on accomplished and resolute defending. Where oh where the fuck has all the quality gone?
 For all the hype that surrounded the arrival of our Dutch master in succeeding our lamentable ex-Evertonian Scottish leader, there's little or nothing to choose between the two of them.  Hapless and hopeless springs to mind.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2014, 07:36:39 am by JohnnoWhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #10431 on: September 1, 2014, 07:29:37 am »
Guardian now reporting it's Arsenal and City to battle it out for Falcao. Whose telling pork pies, folks?

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #10432 on: September 1, 2014, 07:54:42 am »
Do they have a strategy or are they just desperate to emphasise that they can attract big names ? It's fucking lunacy when you look at the balance of their team ......

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10433 on: September 1, 2014, 07:57:18 am »
Who out of Jones, Smalling, Evans and Rojos are physically capable of bullying the likes of Adebayor, Crouch, Lukaku, Benteke, Bony or Carroll?   

Rojo has the bottle to challenge anyone.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10434 on: September 1, 2014, 07:58:04 am »
It's early days but Man Utd are only a point away from the relegation zone. The season's shaping up nicely.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10435 on: September 1, 2014, 08:03:21 am »

Haven't seen much of him as a CB. Is he going to be their aerially dominant CB?

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #10436 on: September 1, 2014, 08:06:13 am »
:thumbup

:hally :fishslap

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #10437 on: September 1, 2014, 08:06:25 am »
Love your posts Johnno mate.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10438 on: September 1, 2014, 08:35:14 am »
Not bothered if they get Falco and for 50m lol. They are just throwing money around at OT now pure desperation
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10439 on: September 1, 2014, 08:36:29 am »
Love your posts Johnno mate.

+1

The reason I am enjoying this so much at the moment is I am certain sooner or later, with the money available to them, they'll turn it around.

Until then though, I am genuinely having a laugh here every time I can.
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin