Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager (ours to keep - or at least till 2018)  (Read 962259 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager
« Reply #240 on: February 9, 2014, 04:11:52 pm »
Chelsea didn't show any interest until they had sold Mata.

That's not true. They asked from the very start to be kept up to date with what was happening with the deal. It's no coincidence that as soon as we agreed a fee they came in with a bigger one.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #241 on: February 9, 2014, 04:14:37 pm »
That's not true. They asked from the very start to be kept up to date with what was happening with the deal. It's no coincidence that as soon as we agreed a fee they came in with a bigger one.
It's also no coincidence they bid once they had sold Mata. If they hadn't sold him there is no place in their squad for Salah.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #242 on: February 9, 2014, 04:16:06 pm »
It's also no coincidence they bid once they had sold Mata. If they hadn't sold him there is no place in their squad for Salah.

Aye, it's not like Chelsea stockpile players...

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #243 on: February 9, 2014, 04:20:32 pm »
Anyway, I think we're getting wayyyy off topic here.

I agree with what PoP said just up above, if there are issues with the way we do transfers then I am sure this will be a massive part of the discussions. I also think FSG would be happy to look to fix it, as after all it is no good for them and their investment if there is a break down in one of the processes.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #244 on: February 9, 2014, 04:20:59 pm »
Aye, it's not like Chelsea stockpile players...
Then why sell Mata if they could just stockpile players?

Also, we would have been a more attractive proposition to Salah as he would have known he was competing with Mata for a place in the squad at Chelsea.

We allowed the deal to drag on by tryingg to cut costs or negotiate the best possible deal which allowed another team to take advantage.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #245 on: February 9, 2014, 04:21:43 pm »
By that thinking you immediately go out and offer your maximum price. We aren't Chelsea or City, we need to get the best possible price on all signings we make or we won't have the budget to sign all the players that are required.

Come on, that's not even close to what happens, Craig, mate. You start the bidding at a low enough price that you think the other party might be tempted, and then you haggle upwards until you both find a comfortable price point. If they demand more, you go to your limit. At that point, you might walk away, or if the manager has indicated that he REALLY wants that player, then you go a little over your valuation to try to tempt the selling party. If they still say no, then you walk away and put the ball in their court.

But that's not what reportedly happened with the Salah deal. We seemingly agreed a mutually acceptable price point, and then we went back in with a lower offer. That's not something Rodgers would have sanctioned. And the fact that the deal unravelled pretty quickly and left a massive gap for Chelsea when it could have been done and dusted before Chelsea even had a sniff is the point I'm making - when accountants run the show, you won't built the team the manager wants, and you won't even get a happy compromise. You'll get a frustrated manager who will look enviously at any club that are willing to pay for the vision of football you have. Unless you have one of those "Career" managers who only cares that they get their wages, in which case the accountants can run the transfers for all they care. But a manager with a specific vision will want players that fit that vision, and if the club shows incompetence and muddled vision when it comes to obtaining those players, then at some point there will be a parting of ways. FSG's danger is that failing to satisfy Rodgers adequately (and he's a reasonable man - he's not demanding the moon and the stars in terms of transfers) in terms of players he wants will eventually create enough dissatisfaction that he will look for better pastures

It's an interesting topic, and your knowledge on the financial side is formidable, and I bow to it. But you also have to see it from Rodgers' view - he's not asking for £100m quid to be spent in one window. He's just asking for that one player he needs to be signed sealed and delivered, even if that means we blur the limit of our valuation a bit.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #246 on: February 9, 2014, 04:24:40 pm »
Then why sell Mata if they could just stockpile players?

Also, we would have been a more attractive proposition to Salah as he would have known he was competing with Mata for a place in the squad at Chelsea.

We allowed the deal to drag on by tryingg to cut costs or negotiate the best possible deal which allowed another team to take advantage.

Because Mata was clearly wanting out, fuck he must of been causing a stink if he was willing to go to play under Moyes!

It's been discussed to death this deal in the right threads so will leave it there.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #247 on: February 9, 2014, 04:27:00 pm »
Come on, that's not even close to what happens, Craig, mate. You start the bidding at a low enough price that you think the other party might be tempted, and then you haggle upwards until you both find a comfortable price point. If they demand more, you go to your limit. At that point, you might walk away, or if the manager has indicated that he REALLY wants that player, then you go a little over your valuation to try to tempt the selling party. If they still say no, then you walk away and put the ball in their court.

But that's not what reportedly happened with the Salah deal. We seemingly agreed a mutually acceptable price point, and then we went back in with a lower offer. That's not something Rodgers would have sanctioned. And the fact that the deal unravelled pretty quickly and left a massive gap for Chelsea when it could have been done and dusted before Chelsea even had a sniff is the point I'm making - when accountants run the show, you won't built the team the manager wants, and you won't even get a happy compromise. You'll get a frustrated manager who will look enviously at any club that are willing to pay for the vision of football you have. Unless you have one of those "Career" managers who only cares that they get their wages, in which case the accountants can run the transfers for all they care. But a manager with a specific vision will want players that fit that vision, and if the club shows incompetence and muddled vision when it comes to obtaining those players, then at some point there will be a parting of ways. FSG's danger is that failing to satisfy Rodgers adequately (and he's a reasonable man - he's not demanding the moon and the stars in terms of transfers) in terms of players he wants will eventually create enough dissatisfaction that he will look for better pastures

It's an interesting topic, and your knowledge on the financial side is formidable, and I bow to it. But you also have to see it from Rodgers' view - he's not asking for £100m quid to be spent in one window. He's just asking for that one player he needs to be signed sealed and delivered, even if that means we blur the limit of our valuation a bit.

I don't disagree with any of that mate, even the Salah stuff if that is how it happened, my issue is we don't really know the inner workings and only have info from someone connected to Salah which gives no insight into what/who made decisions on our end, and what Rodgers was/wasn't privy to.

I do agree with you anyway that if it is an issue for Rodgers, then it will be something that he will want sorting in his contract, and is something the club should look to do.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #248 on: February 9, 2014, 04:32:11 pm »
Because Mata was clearly wanting out, fuck he must of been causing a stink if he was willing to go to play under Moyes!

It's been discussed to death this deal in the right threads so will leave it there.
The Mata stuff is just conjecture and not really the point.

We had the chance to back the manager in the transfer window and sign a player he obviously wanted but we dallied and allowed a rival to sign him.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #249 on: February 9, 2014, 04:35:15 pm »
jeez...thought this was about how well brendan has done so far!!!!for me ,hes been phenominal so far with a very limited squad size.hes got the last few games tactically spot on and yesterday was just perfect.the main thing is that the players are doing exactly what he wants on the pitch and that says alot about his man-management skills...just saw fulham have taken the lead at ot and the difference between the utd team and ours is the mancs dont seem to be playing for the gargoyle.every player yesterday played to their optimum and it was brilliant to see it.now we have to beat fulham and hope utd do the gunners!!!

Offline pjk66

• Anny Roader
« Reply #250 on: February 9, 2014, 04:45:02 pm »
I love Brendan Rodgers.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #251 on: February 9, 2014, 04:50:21 pm »
I'm proud to have Brendan Rodgers as our manager.  We might not win the title this season but we're in the equation and still have Man City and Chelsea to come at Anfield where in the past two weeks we have annihilated Everton and Arsenal playing some of the most exciting and dynamic football I have been privileged to witness in my time as a Liverpool supporter. 

To just be in the conversation as a title challenger is an achievement in itself, Rodgers is leading us back to where we belong, I have no doubt about that anymore.  Fourth is not the limit we can achieve this season, there is nothing stopping us from finishing higher and making a real statement as to the direction that we are moving in as a team and as a club. 

Rodgers is making us dream again and giving us genuine reasons to believe that those dreams can become a reality very soon.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #252 on: February 9, 2014, 05:21:28 pm »
So how does one break down a Premier League manager's performance?

1)  Player Buying - Getting the right players, this is obviously limited by the owner's purse strings
2)  Player Selling - Getting rid of aging and un-cooperative and just misfit players is important too, but this is more difficult than it sounds and some managers just hang on to favored players too long
3)  Player Development - Obviously this applies to managing young players, but older players also need to evolve their game as their abilities change over time. 
4)  Squad Management - Rotation:  Every manager with common sense does it, but how prepared are the less-regular players to step into a starting role?  But if the squad is thin, not much you can do...  Managing the squad between the League, Cups, Europe is a huge challenge. 
5)  Man Management - Motivating players to perform well.  Can the manager bring back players whom he's disciplined or had personality conflicts with? 
6)  Tactics and Opposition Analysis - Fortune favors the prepared, but surprising your opponent that day can work too.
7)  On-field Adjustments and Substitutions - In game management can nick a few points here and there
8)  Public Relations - Roy Hodgson at the low end of the scale.  Rafa/Fergie/Mourinho at the top end.

Factors outside of a manager's control will affect their performance:  Ownership sanity or stability, player budget, squad inherited, personal health (see Houllier), key player injuries, added European competitions, international call ups
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #253 on: February 9, 2014, 07:36:21 pm »
By that thinking you immediately go out and offer your maximum price. We aren't Chelsea or City, we need to get the best possible price on all signings we make or we won't have the budget to sign all the players that are required.
Tom Werner "we have the funds to compete with any team in the world"
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #254 on: February 9, 2014, 07:39:41 pm »
Next thing you know, people will start getting carried away and thinking we can make 3rd, even 2nd and then want to start dishing out long term contracts all willy-nilly.

Tread carefully sweet RAWK and be careful what you wish for, as you may just get it.......
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #255 on: February 9, 2014, 07:45:48 pm »
is this the brick outhouse for the transfer thread, how about talking tactics, motivation, the use of the academy lads,makes better sense surely than Mata or Salah?
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: February 9, 2014, 07:59:30 pm »
Kloppesque in his ability to get young players running through brick walls for him and harnessing every ounce of talent they have.

Offline Weytske

• Anny Roader
  • Peerless
« Reply #257 on: February 9, 2014, 09:23:40 pm »
The man has given me back my love for football. I was really fed up with it because of the storm our club was going through, bigspending millionairs who just buy every player who seems to be able to kick a ball, cynical Mourinho tactics in classico's which appeared to become a new norm and many other hallucinating experiences as a youthcoach...

Watching us play now on the other hand was really made me exciting. We play wonderfull and intense football and when you watch the lads play you can see the desire to play good football and put everything they got out there. When on top of that you get to see you lads like Flanagan and Sterling blossom, not to mention Henderson, Sturridge and Coutinho, it's just amazing.

On top of that Rodgers is very pragmatic and that suits my own vision on football, it doesn't always have to be death by football because especially in England you can't press and pass and move always for 90min, not even with a bigger squad. Sometimes you have to adjust your gameplan while you hold on to your footballing foundations and that's what he's been doing since the beginning of the season and it's doing pretty fine by me! He's making me dream again...

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2014, 12:39:34 am »
He's got us playing boss boss footy that most of the league is envious of.

How long is his contract?
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2014, 12:42:29 am »
He's got us playing boss boss footy that most of the league is envious of.

How long is his contract?

contract up end of next season.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2014, 12:44:12 am »
contract up end of next season.

Damn. Surly has to be tied down soon to stop the money clubs coming in for him.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2014, 12:49:15 am »

I just love this photo.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2014, 12:50:49 am »
Damn. Surly has to be tied down soon to stop the money clubs coming in for him.
Think he'll get it at the end of the season
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2014, 12:51:52 am »
Fucking love him.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2014, 12:52:05 am »
Think he'll get it at the end of the season

Yep. It's probably a case that neither party wants to enter negotiations until we know where we've finished. CL = Brendan gets a bigger contract.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2014, 01:25:18 am »
Yep. It's probably a case that neither party wants to enter negotiations until we know where we've finished. CL = Brendan gets a bigger contract.
PL = Brendan gets an even bigger contract.  ;D

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #266 on: February 10, 2014, 01:30:06 am »
I am certain that just on logical grounds Rodger's contract will be sorted and signed before the end of the season. Never mind whether City or whoever will come in for him, that's not an issue. But we don't want to waste a day of the summer transfer window dealing with manager uncertainty. I reckon my the end of April beginning of May the contract will be sorted, and by the end of May some players will be targeted.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #267 on: February 10, 2014, 01:49:49 am »
I am certain that just on logical grounds Rodger's contract will be sorted and signed before the end of the season. Never mind whether City or whoever will come in for him, that's not an issue. But we don't want to waste a day of the summer transfer window dealing with manager uncertainty. I reckon my the end of April beginning of May the contract will be sorted, and by the end of May some players will be targeted.

You're probably correct. I wonder if there will be a timed press release about it around about the Chelsea game :)
Better looking than Samie.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #268 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:26 am »
You're probably correct. I wonder if there will be a timed press release about it around about the Chelsea game :)
Cheeky! Just about the right timing...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Dabudah

• Main Stander
« Reply #269 on: February 10, 2014, 01:53:27 am »
Must say that ever since Rodgers came in I've admired everything he's had to say and how he's approached the job. He has brought back a team spirit which is clear to see on the pitch, instilled values of working for the team rather than the individual glory, used the youth players to great effect and has us playing arguably the best football in the league on our day. True the transfer saga's have been disappointing lately but this is something which can easily be resolved, especially with a return to Champions League and a strong finish to the season.  I've been a fan since '84 and I may get shot for this but for what he has done so far with the team, his overall approach and attitude towards the club and the game as a whole I feel Rodgers has the potential to be the Shankly of my era. Obviously it's far too early to give him such a status but I've had nothing but a good feeling sing he's arrived, he's brought this team on in unbelievable leaps and bounds and I'm enjoying the club and the game more now than I can remember in the past. If the transfer issues get sorted out and Rodgers gets the backing he deserves I feel he can be here for a very long time and put a spanner in the works of the billionaire barbie teams.

P.s don't hurt me for mentioning in the same breath as the great Shanks  :-X

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2014, 02:13:01 am »
PL = Brendan gets an even bigger contract.  ;D

He can ask for a million a week if he brings the title home this year, and there'd be a riot if he wasn't offered it, too .
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline shaggy86

• Kemlynite
« Reply #271 on: February 10, 2014, 02:51:33 am »

I just love this photo.
Wow he really does eat, sleep and shit football...seriously though manager of the year so far to even have us mentioned for the title

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2014, 03:12:50 am »
He can ask for a million a week if he brings the title home this year, and there'd be a riot if he wasn't offered it, too .

£52m sounds very excessive, considering that Pep Guardiola is about £8m ahead of anyone else and earns £17m. A Prem title would probably land him in the £7m bracket, which is already a big upgrade on the £3m he's on now

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2014, 03:14:53 am »
I think Brendan will want more assurances on purchases, rather than a significant increase on his current wages. And FSG would be mad not to give him significant funds in the he summer. We can't buy any more bargain basement players, simply because none of them will be good enough to get into this side at the moment.

The man is a footballing genius and I'm delighted he's here.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:30 am »
£52m sounds very excessive, considering that Pep Guardiola is about £8m ahead of anyone else and earns £17m. A Prem title would probably land him in the £7m bracket, which is already a big upgrade on the £3m he's on now

you're responding to what was obviously not a serious comment.  ;D

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: February 10, 2014, 03:28:27 am »
I've mentioned it before but I think he's genuinely a good man. Beyond everything football related.

Offline Abrak

• Pulling his Peter Principle
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: February 10, 2014, 05:31:37 am »
What I really hope is that the success that Rodgers has had to date buys him some patience with the fans (and the owners) when things are not going so well - which is bound to happen at some point.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #277 on: February 10, 2014, 05:32:22 am »
I am proud of him
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: February 10, 2014, 05:37:31 am »
he's doing all this with academy players...imagine what he can do with some decent money

i fully agree with PoP, FSG should support his vision in the future, and i hope they dont look at him as a gold mine...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:45:47 am by Mamadou »
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #279 on: February 10, 2014, 06:15:01 am »
we should have a charity thing where if brendan wins the title we donate beers to needy evertons. bitters for bitters i call it.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.