Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 560258 times)

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Realistically, is it just a battle for 4th spot with 2 other teams now?
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 08:57:39 pm »
The arrogance of some on here barely 24 hours after that abject performance is quite frankly fucking astounding.
Troll alert  ;)

But just add my 2 pence its always been about 4th, realistically we were never title contenders. To get 4th would be a superb achievement and it is going to go to the wire. We will see at the end of the season but 4th or no 4th we are going in the right way and I think our future is bright.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2014, 08:57:47 pm »
Should get 4th with a few games to spare. Spurs and United will fall off sooner than Everton. They'll run us the closest.

Still have faint hopes we could run Arsenal close for 3rd - that's entirely depending on us beating them at Anfield though.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 08:59:33 pm »
Our average form over the past 6 weeks (in which we've played 9 games) is 6 wins, 2 losses and one draw. Extrapolated over season that would give us 76 points out of 36 games which would guarantee us top 4. Nice sample choice mate.

Well played sir  8)

I think the top 3 are a bit too far ahead for us to catch all three, but I still wouldn't be astonished if we caught Arsenal. Still think we could finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 08:59:53 pm »
Last year:
2 draws against Chelsea
2 draws against Man City ( should have won both )
Beat Spurs home, lost away
Draw at the Emirates
2 draws against Everton

This year:
Smashed Spurs
Draw against Everton
Narrow loss to City
Loss to Chelsea and Arsenal.

I take your point, but that's still:
- 10 out of a possible 30 last year
- 4 out of a possible 15 this year

I didn't say it was abysmal or anything, but it's still not very good. Spurs (and Utd - lol) remain the only "top" teams we've beaten in Rodgers' entire tenure here. There's a form table kicking around for games amongst the top 7-8 and iirc we're pretty much at the bottom, only above Utd. There may be another team below us, but we're pretty low down.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 09:03:17 pm »
Of us, Spurs & Everton I feel that we will feel the pressure most. Suarez is off in the summer without European Cup football and the feeling of what might have been if we miss out will be hard to stomach. Everton & Spurs, particularly with the change of manager ,have the momentum, which means a lot in January.

We need another strong January transfer window to wrestle that momentum back

'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 09:09:03 pm »
I take your point, but that's still:
- 10 out of a possible 30 last year
- 4 out of a possible 15 this year

I didn't say it was abysmal or anything, but it's still not very good. Spurs (and Utd - lol) remain the only "top" teams we've beaten in Rodgers' entire tenure here. There's a form table kicking around for games amongst the top 7-8 and iirc we're pretty much at the bottom, only above Utd. There may be another team below us, but we're pretty low down.
Fine margins. We should have taken 6 points from city last year, and got a draw this year. The form table doesnt include a 'home/away' table, and if we play our very very best, we'll beat Spurs, Everton and Tottenham, maybe City, and race up that table.

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 09:09:18 pm »
It is more or less a battle for fourth with a very outside chance for a title chase.

From what I have seen Utd are simply not good enough to suddenly improve their form and make a run for 4th. Too reliant on Rooney and RVP who both seem to get injured more regularly this season..wouldn't completely count them out but they are an outside bet.

Spurs are an interesting one..their performances have been average at best and yet they find themselves level with us. Still don't think Sherwood is a good enough manager to get them points against the big teams and they'll fuck up once or twice more.

Everton for me would be our biggest challengers for the 4th spot and that's why the derby is simply huge

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 09:10:13 pm »
Realistically we have a shed load of games to go, so realistically this thread is very unrealistic in the real world.

This.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 09:11:17 pm »
We had a very uncommon off day (borderline horror show) at home, battled back to salvage a draw, are 8 points out of first with 48 points remaining, play everyone else competing for Champions League spots at home and these threads still show up.

I'll just laugh it off as certain posters traditional misery and mourning period when we stumble a little.  ;)

I'm also going to assume Jaffod's comment is ironic.   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:13:36 pm by Reese »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 09:16:06 pm »
You would crazy to rule out Man Utd.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2014, 09:26:18 pm »

Ferguson's United maybe...
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2014, 09:26:45 pm »
I don't fucking care. Win the derby. That is all.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2014, 09:28:30 pm »
Seems to be an overreaction because we drew a game.

Would just like to point out that lesser sides have overcome bigger deficits. Sides have come from 6 points behind to win titles by 4-5 points before. This season is much much closer which means the other teams will drop points. We have our rivals to face at home as well.

I think at just over halfway in the season, when we know there isn't a big difference between the top 6 sides, with a good draw, and European games to play a role, then we could very well make up ground.

We have to do our part which is try to win every game and with a bit of luck some results will go our way. The players have to pick up their performance level and really dig in now. We've just got to grind out wins and go on a bit of a run.

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 09:29:38 pm »

Not ruling them out....but they are 4th favourites

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2014, 09:31:50 pm »
Utd are the 4th side , going to be loads of twists and turns

Everton are the biggest threat to us IMO

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2014, 09:32:19 pm »
Fine margins. We should have taken 6 points from city last year, and got a draw this year. The form table doesnt include a 'home/away' table, and if we play our very very best, we'll beat Spurs, Everton and Tottenham, maybe City, and race up that table.

I don't disagree that it's fine margins, but the point still stands. We shouldn't have drawn against Chelsea as Suarez should have been sent off, for example. Should-haves aren't really relevant now though. Maybe we should have won both games against City last year, but we made silly errors that mean we didn't, and unfortunately that's pretty symptomatic of our game.

I do think we have it in us to beat Spurs and Everton, but a lot depends on Suarez/Sturridge. Defensively we're regressing, and the only player we can probably say will be back in our team come the Everton game is Sakho. We're still tinkering with our formation, and we lack balance in midfield, not to mention our best (well, our only) DM is now out injured for an unspecified but presumably extensive amount of time. I'm not saying we'll never beat the likes of Chelsea, City or Everton, but we are weak against any side that has a go at us at the moment, and you can bet your arse both Everton and Spurs will do that. Better sides will always score against us, we're now relying heavily on Sturridge/Suarez to help us out in these big games, and we'll see how they do.

It's a poor record until it's not anymore.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:33:57 pm by holymoly »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2014, 09:38:16 pm »
After this weekend's results there is now a 6pt gap between us in 4th, and Chelsea in 3rd.

It looks like 2 packs chasing 2 'prizes':

1) Arsenal, Man City, and Chelsea (separated by 2pts) fighting it out for the title.
2) And us, Spurs, and Everton (separated by 2pts) fighting it out for 4th spot.

If all the above team's current form continues as it is, we are in for quite a battle for 4th, let alone 3rd.
I think we will do it, mind you. Due to the fact that we've been more consistently in the top 4 all season than Spurs and Everton.
Plus, we have players coming back, Brendan should be learning from our setbacks against Hull, Southampton, and Villa, and we have an ability to score against anyone right now.

Long way to go. It's too early to say Utd are out of the race for 4th and it's even too early to say we're out of the title race. Can't afford more 'mistakes' against the likes of Villa etc, but it's still possible to get back in the race.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline karl740

• Kopite
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2014, 09:48:14 pm »
Seems to be an overreaction because we drew a game.

Would just like to point out that lesser sides have overcome bigger deficits. Sides have come from 6 points behind to win titles by 4-5 points before. This season is much much closer which means the other teams will drop points. We have our rivals to face at home as well.

I think at just over halfway in the season, when we know there isn't a big difference between the top 6 sides, with a good draw, and European games to play a role, then we could very well make up ground.

We have to do our part which is try to win every game and with a bit of luck some results will go our way. The players have to pick up their performance level and really dig in now. We've just got to grind out wins and go on a bit of a run.

I think the overreaction is because panick is starting to kick in. We are falling behind the top three and behind us are catching up. Momentum seems to be with other teams at the moment

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2014, 09:49:08 pm »
Realistically we're 7pts ahead of Utd. 16 goal swing in favour of ourselves. Like others have said though don't rule them out. The next round of fixtures could be pivotal with Spurs playing City and us v Everton. You'd expect Utd to beat Cardiff. Just.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2014, 09:57:05 pm »
what a crazy season this has been. one draw has scared the shit out of everyone
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2014, 10:00:47 pm »

1) Arsenal, Man City, and Chelsea (separated by 2pts) fighting it out for the title.

2) And us, Spurs, and Everton (separated by 2pts) fighting it out for 4th spot.

add the Mancs to the second list and its about right...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2014, 10:09:39 pm »

Spurs are an interesting one..their performances have been average at best and yet they find themselves level with us. Still don't think Sherwood is a good enough manager to get them points against the big teams and they'll fuck up once or twice more.

Everton for me would be our biggest challengers for the 4th spot and that's why the derby is simply huge
[/quote]

Interesting. I think Sherwood has done incredibly well since becoming spurs manager. Think that's only 2 points dropped out of 18 for him. Like you I'm not sure it will last. But fair play to him he's done well. Yesterday to me was a game we'd have lost last season. Still think we need something extra this window. At least to invigorate the squad. 

But it was 2 points lost. And I think we will be in a big battle with spurs, Everton and united for fourth.

Online Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2014, 10:10:02 pm »
Its definitely a battle for 4th but we have the advantage that all the teams we are battling against have to play us a at home (except united but we are 6 points ahead of them).

Its in our hands really. Both spurs and everton and united will drop points and so will we but the key games will be when they come and play us.

Out of all them I think Everton look the biggest threat but spurs are winning games without looking great and sooner or later some of those new players they have will start performing. The one key thing in our favour is we have the best player in the league in our team and he can win games on his own. So I think it will be tight.

I will say though that Arsenal don't look like falling away at the moment like some have suggested. Whilst I am not sure they have the same winning mentality of Chelsea or Man city I think if they picked up a decent centre forward during this window they will be hard to beat. They don't quite have the squad depth of the others so injuries might play a part but I think they look a better side then chelsea at the moment.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2014, 10:21:33 pm »

I know, but I am, I just can't see them getting past us or Everton, they've got lots of losses still in them.

I reckon Spurs will fall away as well.

I think we'll edge Everton as well but we'll be pushed right to the end. It's all about how we perform against the so called big clubs at home.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2014, 10:25:34 pm »
And the overreaction to one poor performance when we have the highest points tally at this stage since we challenged for the title in 2008/09 is also astounding.

My post wasn't a reaction to one poor performance. We are a shambles defensively and could have lost our best DM for the next 2 months but let's just totally dismiss Man U as any sort of threat to our top 4 aspirations.We are one injury away from fucking disaster if it's in the wrong area.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2014, 10:27:20 pm »
I won't rule the Mancs out until the race is over. We don't know how much time is left on the contract that they have with the devil.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2014, 10:30:02 pm »
United are still very much in the equation. We have messed up royally this weekend not extending that lead further.

The good thing is they are not a great United team.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2014, 10:30:20 pm »
Oh and for spurs, I think they'll come below Newcastle.
Not a chance.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2014, 10:34:22 pm »
Oh and for spurs, I think they'll come below Newcastle.

Nah, I'm not having that.

They've been grinding out results even when sh*te but they'll get going at some stage.

Newcastle have played above themselves and they're still behind them.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2014, 10:36:59 pm »
Spurs are starting to heron my nerves. Their away form is great. They've come away with 9 points from their last 3 away games at Southampton, Old Trafford and now Swansea. We simply need to go on a run. Historically a team reaching 4th usually goes on a 6-7 winning run in second half if the season. We should get our momentum we had after Suarez' new deal back.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2014, 10:39:08 pm »
It'll come down the big games. Everton at home, Spurs at home, City and Arsenal at home. We only go away to Old Trafford. I would fancy us to win the majority of the other games. If we can do well in the ones I've mentioned then I think we'll be fine.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2014, 10:39:19 pm »
The arrogance of some on here barely 24 hours after that abject performance is quite frankly fucking astounding.
Sad to say I have to agree.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2014, 10:41:22 pm »
Utd are the 4th side , going to be loads of twists and turns

Everton are the biggest threat to us IMO

The biggest threat to us is us.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2014, 10:42:31 pm »
My post wasn't a reaction to one poor performance. We are a shambles defensively and could have lost our best DM for the next 2 months but let's just totally dismiss Man U as any sort of threat to our top 4 aspirations.We are one injury away from fucking disaster if it's in the wrong area.

We're not exactly a defensive shambles. We've defended shambolically for the past two games. But we are far from a defensive shambles. We are a team without three of it's likely first choice defenders - or three of it's individually best defenders at least
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2014, 10:45:01 pm »
United are still very much in the equation. We have messed up royally this weekend not extending that lead further.

The good thing is they are not a great United team.

United are in exactly the position I thought they'd be, way back in July/August - challenging for top four, but likely to miss out. They shouldn't be discounted, but they shouldn't be feared either. Our destiny is in our own hands. That's both exhilarating and scary at the same time.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2014, 10:46:10 pm »
United are in exactly the position I thought they'd be, way back in July/August - challenging for top four, but likely to miss out. They shouldn't be discounted, but they shouldn't be feared either. Our destiny is in our own hands. That's both exhilarating and scary at the same time.

Absolutely. A huge test mentally for the squad.

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2014, 10:48:20 pm »

We're not exactly a defensive shambles. We've defended shambolically for the past two games. But we are far from a defensive shambles. We are a team without three of it's likely first choice defenders - or three of it's individually best defenders at least

I take your graphic on board and I agree we're not conceding a shambolic amount of goals, i think it's the manner of the goals and the fact a huge amount of them are very very avoidable. I agree personnel being injured is a big problem also.

Mignolet for Aston Villas 2nd, Stokes 3rd, Manchester City's 2nd. Skrtel has scored 3 own goals. The Cardiff goal, the lad is completely unmarked at the back post because Martin Kelly (recently introduced) had no idea where to be stood. That's a few off the top of my head.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2014, 10:50:27 pm »
I take your graphic on board and I agree we're not conceding a shambolic amount of goals, i think it's the manner of the goals and the fact a huge amount of them are very very avoidable. I agree personnel being injured is a big problem also.

Mignolet for Aston Villas 2nd, Stokes 3rd, Manchester City's 2nd. Skrtel has scored 3 own goals. The Cardiff goal, the lad is completely unmarked at the back post because Martin Kelly (recently introduced) had no idea where to be stood. That's a few off the top of my head.

I'm sure Rodgers said early in the season he wanted more defenders on the score sheet :D

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2014, 10:52:08 pm »
I'm sure Rodgers said early in the season he wanted more defenders on the score sheet :D

Footballers aren't known for their lofty IQ's. Perhaps Brendan ought to sit Martin down and explain what he meant.  :lmao

Offline Sally

• Desperately searching for a very, very, very, very, very small toaster! "I'm saying this now, if he (Christian Benteke) scores more than 16 goals for us next season i'm eating my cock." (Duly noted!)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Yellow Submarine
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2014, 11:04:18 pm »

From the way we've played this season i just don't think it will be enough, i cant help but feel somethings missing in the team. I think we will either fall short and narrowly miss out on the champs league and finish fifth, or we will start firing from late january IF we make 1 or 2 Coutinho/Sturridge like signings which will coincide with a slump in Arsenal form leading us to finish 3rd