Author Topic: Raheem Shaquille Sterling  (Read 679902 times)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Raheem Sterling
« Reply #320 on: October 10, 2013, 07:53:16 pm »
You can nitpick any individual comparison, but I think you'd struggle to name more than one or two recent youngsters in England who were immediate successes and didn't have a period where they struggled.

And the Walcott one in particular is bs. He may have the same style, but he has tons of end product now.

I know it's stating the obvious but most 18 year olds are inconsistent and have stretches of games where they're not performing as well as they potentially could - they make mistakes and aren't influential in matches. It's not unnatural and those that perform consistently to the highest standard at that age are the exception, rather than the rule.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #321 on: October 10, 2013, 08:02:26 pm »
Any streams???
As you asked so nicely. Oh, and count yourself lucky as non of the usual link sites could be bothered to find a stream so I had to do it myself.

http://www.smtvsanmarino.sm/tv/web-tv

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: October 10, 2013, 08:05:12 pm »
As you asked so nicely. Oh, and count yourself lucky as non of the usual link sites could be bothered to find a stream so I had to do it myself.

http://www.smtvsanmarino.sm/tv/web-tv

Cheers mate. Not going to lie though, when I found out there were no streams I did a Google search and found one my self. But as you went through the trouble to post the link, i'll just use yours  :P  ;)
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Abyss

• Main Stander
« Reply #323 on: October 10, 2013, 08:15:57 pm »
Was reading the unpopular opinion thread and a lot of people seem to be saying he's not going to turn up special in the future or just another Shawn Wright Philips. to be honest I have my concerns and doubts as well sometimes.

But watching him play in the first half of last season, this kid really does have something special to offer. I think LFC made a mistake keeping him in the squad this season - even if it does end up helping us as a club in the short term. This kid desperately needs a solid platform to get more consistency going in his game and to move to that next level in his career. He simply isn't ready for LFC at this stage - bit-part squad player or otherwise. We did the right thing with Suso - now it's time to extend that program to Sterling, Ibe and Wisdom. Winter transfer window would be the perfect time to implement this.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #324 on: October 10, 2013, 08:18:50 pm »
Won a pen. Pissed off because he isn't taking the pen.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #325 on: October 10, 2013, 08:32:24 pm »

Not indicative of good play that though.

I've heard.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #326 on: October 10, 2013, 08:34:40 pm »

Sulky little scroat - sell him.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #327 on: October 10, 2013, 08:52:54 pm »
Not indicative of good play that though.

I've heard.
;D
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: October 10, 2013, 08:56:05 pm »
He'll end up going out on loan next season I reckon - hopefully to a low prem/high championship side. Do him the world of good.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: October 10, 2013, 09:17:42 pm »
Walcott is exactly the same as he was then, kick it run fast and shoot.

That's really not true at all. I love the way history is being completely rewritten as to Sterling's first batch of games for us. One of the most impressive and things he was lauded for was his mature play, good decision making and tracking back. I remember Gary Neville doing a segment on this I'm pretty sure. He really didn't impress by sprinting past a load of players. In fact that's what I wanted to see him do more, always felt he was playing within himself, almost playing too mature and conservative. I never once thought watching Sterling last year "he's trying too hard". Really, that really, really wasn't how he impressed people. At least not how I remember it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:19:16 pm by Bakez0151 »

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: October 10, 2013, 09:36:55 pm »
Didn't watch the second half, how did Raheem do?
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Abyss

• Main Stander
« Reply #331 on: October 10, 2013, 11:48:45 pm »
That's really not true at all. I love the way history is being completely rewritten as to Sterling's first batch of games for us. One of the most impressive and things he was lauded for was his mature play, good decision making and tracking back. I remember Gary Neville doing a segment on this I'm pretty sure. He really didn't impress by sprinting past a load of players. In fact that's what I wanted to see him do more, always felt he was playing within himself, almost playing too mature and conservative. I never once thought watching Sterling last year "he's trying too hard". Really, that really, really wasn't how he impressed people. At least not how I remember it.

Agreed. Neville was saying that the most impressive thing about Sterling was that he didn't need to drop his head to know where the ball was while in possession if I'm not mistaken. The lad was playing with a tactical maturity that was well above his age. He harried Kolo Toure in that City game. Should have gotten an assist too if it wasn't for Borini's miss.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: October 12, 2013, 12:06:35 pm »
Called up to the England squad to replace Cleverley.

Henderson may aswell just retire from International football now.

Offline eLToRo

• Legacy Fan
  • Living the dream
« Reply #333 on: October 12, 2013, 12:12:39 pm »

Fair play to Raheem but that is ridiculous. That is just hype over raw hard work and playing well.

Sterling has come off the bench in every game this year(i think) with one start and hasn't really done much to shout about while Henderson has started every game and has been very good in some .

Plus Cleverly tries to play centre mid so surely you will replace him with a player that plays there too rather than a winger/attacker.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: October 12, 2013, 12:33:53 pm »
Fair play to Raheem but that is ridiculous. That is just hype over raw hard work and playing well.

Sterling has come off the bench in every game this year(i think) with one start and hasn't really done much to shout about while Henderson has started every game and has been very good in some .

Plus Cleverly tries to play centre mid so surely you will replace him with a player that plays there too rather than a winger/attacker.

The phrase "too much too soon" comes to mind.

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: October 12, 2013, 12:36:05 pm »

Agreed. This tho will give Sterling a lift although it could go the other way and convince Sterling that he has already made it, when he needs a shed load of hard craft to have any chance long term. I'm sure LFC know that.

Would have thought Hendo would be a natural replacement for Cleverly. Uncle Roy mustn't fancy Hendo.

Offline tyrolean_red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: October 12, 2013, 01:30:29 pm »
Cant understand this call up. Hasnt shown anything this year to be there. Not slagging him off, but simply a ridicolous decision.

Henderson should be there regardless of Cleverley. At this point, Henderson is in far better form.
Thank you Stevie! It was a pleasure.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #337 on: October 12, 2013, 01:50:12 pm »
Cant understand this call up. Hasnt shown anything this year to be there. Not slagging him off, but simply a ridicolous decision.

Henderson should be there regardless of Cleverley. At this point, Henderson is in far better form.

All the decent right backs are injured/suspended bar maybe Jones and Smalling. Maybe ol'Roy is fancying Sterling at Wingback....
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline tyrolean_red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: October 12, 2013, 02:32:25 pm »
All the decent right backs are injured/suspended bar maybe Jones and Smalling. Maybe ol'Roy is fancying Sterling at Wingback....
In this case it should also be henderson as he played this role for lfc recently.

Its not like i dont rate sterling. I just dont want our 18 year old starlet rewarded for nothing special. Whereas Henderson has worked very hard to be where he is now. On current ability hes miles ahead of sterling, which isnt surprising as hes a lot older.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 02:34:34 pm by tyrolean_red »
Thank you Stevie! It was a pleasure.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: October 12, 2013, 02:38:47 pm »
In this case it should also be henderson as he played this role for lfc recently.

Its not like i dont rate sterling. I just dont want our 18 year old starlet rewarded for nothing special. Whereas Henderson has worked very hard to be where he is now. On current ability hes miles ahead of sterling, which isnt surprising as hes a lot older.

Henderson needs to make a position his own in our team or he won't get called up by England.

Sterling plays on the right mainly and I can see why he has been called up and why Henderson hasn't.

Henderson has a lot to do for his club before even thinking about an international call up.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #340 on: October 12, 2013, 02:39:03 pm »
Why does he look like he has Sooty with him when he runs. Is Sooty whispering in his ear and making all his decisions for him?

I need to know.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: October 12, 2013, 03:01:12 pm »

Sterling plays on the right mainly and I can see why he has been called up and why Henderson hasn't.

Sterlings better on the left than on the right though.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: October 12, 2013, 03:06:39 pm »

I don't think either of them deserve a call up to be honest although there is an argument that neither would be involved anyway so by calling us Sterling he's at least getting experience of what could be a big occasion and he'll see what it's all about for when he's involved in the future.

I'm not sure Henderson will ever be good enough to be a first choice international. A good jack of all trades who'll do a decent job in a few positions but a master of none IMO.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: October 12, 2013, 03:06:43 pm »

Sterling mainly doesn't play whilst Brendan does anything he can to get Henderson into the side so I really can't see why Raheem has been called up instead of him or other players. There are plenty of midfielders England should be looking at rather than Sterling. He still looks well short of the form and confidence he had when he first broke through into the first team and getting England call ups whilst so far from his best does him and us no favours. He needs get his head down and produce better not be rewarded with unjustified international recognition.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:09:00 pm by peachybum »
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: October 12, 2013, 03:09:52 pm »
Sterlings better on the left than on the right though.

Totally agree

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: October 12, 2013, 03:11:24 pm »
Fucking hell. The lad gets called up to the national team and people are falling over backwards asking why and saying how he doesn't deserve it. He's a Liverpool player ffs!
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: October 12, 2013, 03:22:52 pm »
Fucking hell. The lad gets called up to the national team and people are falling over backwards asking why and saying how he doesn't deserve it. He's a Liverpool player ffs!

No-one is saying they're not happy for him. It's just confusing that an Liverpool regular starter can't get picked yet a Liverpool Sub player can. :P

Offline Escorcio

• Kopite
« Reply #347 on: October 12, 2013, 03:33:00 pm »
I'm not sure Henderson will ever be good enough to be a first choice international. A good jack of all trades who'll do a decent job in a few positions but a master of none IMO.

Should be in ahead of Cleverly

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: October 12, 2013, 04:23:15 pm »
Not a fan of it purely because I think it'll mean he misses a game for the U21s without actually making it onto the bench for the first team on Tuesday. Even if he makes the bench he won't get off it. He'd have started and played some much needed football for the U21s.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #349 on: October 12, 2013, 05:13:16 pm »
Not a fan of it purely because I think it'll mean he misses a game for the U21s without actually making it onto the bench for the first team on Tuesday. Even if he makes the bench he won't get off it. He'd have started and played some much needed football for the U21s.

Agreed, would have been better for him to play in the under-21s since he won't play for the seniors. He is struggling a little so far this season with his goal against Notts County his high point thus far. so it is right that he is in and out of the team. He'll come good, it will just take time and with the Moses there is less pressure on his shoulders to perform for the team.

As for Hendo - that is another topic but I'm not sure he has done enough to be called up just yet but if he continues to progress then who cares? We'll still benefit from his performances and that's what matters most imo
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: October 12, 2013, 05:19:51 pm »

Fair point. He does need as much competitive game time as he can get this season. Although training with and being around the first team for a few days will be good for him I guess. Hopefully he gets some game time on Tuesday though however unlikely that looks.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: October 12, 2013, 05:45:27 pm »

Excellent point, I'm a firm believer that if players are not going to be used by the first team then they should be playing for the u21's whether that's Wiltshire, Barkley, Jones or Sterling, it's better to play full competitive internationals than none at all.

This in turn would make lower age international football more competitive and give us better preparation for the big tournaments as it is on the continent.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #352 on: October 12, 2013, 07:35:55 pm »
Oh great, Owl will play him in a game he's no where near ready for... he'll most likely do shit and have the entire stadium on his back.

Be fantastic for his development.
:D

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: October 12, 2013, 08:00:27 pm »
Oh great, Owl will play him in a game he's no where near ready for... he'll most likely do shit and have the entire stadium on his back.

Be fantastic for his development.

Or score a goal and be a national hero...
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: October 12, 2013, 08:07:15 pm »
If you want to know why balague is indeed appropriately named ball bag, check his last three tweets. Raheem has stalled his development. Writing off an 18 year old is just ludicrous.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: October 12, 2013, 08:13:29 pm »
Ballague appears to be confusing foundations with form. Fancy that.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #356 on: October 12, 2013, 10:05:01 pm »
Or score a goal and be a national hero...

Ah the fickleness of your average Ingerland fan :)
:D

Offline barald

• Main Stander
« Reply #357 on: October 13, 2013, 01:09:48 am »
How has he been called up? Has Hodgson taken a bung from the tabloids?
How many test wickets have you got?

Offline barald

• Main Stander
« Reply #358 on: October 13, 2013, 01:10:19 am »
Maybe he and Ravel couldnt be trusted in the same hotel for the 21s.
How many test wickets have you got?

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #359 on: October 13, 2013, 01:19:46 pm »
If you want to know why balague is indeed appropriately named ball bag, check his last three tweets. Raheem has stalled his development. Writing off an 18 year old is just ludicrous.

shouldnt be reading his tweets.