Author Topic: Injury news only thread. *  (Read 1930123 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Current injury updates? not a transfer speculation thread
« Reply #10960 on: January 15, 2019, 02:22:12 pm »
Gutted for TAA. Probably also explains why Camacho is still here.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10961 on: January 15, 2019, 02:22:40 pm »
13 games is a very precise figure, or am I being whooshed?

He hasn't scored in 13 games (might be 14). He's good but people would complain about that even if Alexander-Arnold was available. He isn't, so it's madness by the club and we have two midfielder in the back four because that's their MO.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10962 on: January 15, 2019, 02:23:08 pm »
On the face of it I'd agree with comments about letting Clyne go, but what we don't know is the situation behind the scenes.

It's clear as day that Clyne is not the type of fullback that Klopp needs. He's a good player, but miles away from what Robbo and Trent add in an attacking sense.

Assuming no disciplinary issues, Clyne may have just come to the realisation that it is not going to happen here for him and he needs to go. He's seen Gomez and Milner play at RB ahead of him which may have made his mind up. Maybe Klopp's even told him that he does not figure in his plans. I'm sure if Klopp felt he needed him, he could have refused to sell or persuaded him to stay.

Medals? maybe Clyne feels that we won't win any, but even if we did, he wouldn't have felt as though he'd truly earned it, so the value in his eyes would be diminished.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10963 on: January 15, 2019, 02:25:08 pm »
He hasn't scored in 13 games (might be 14). He's good but people would complain about that even if Alexander-Arnold was available. He isn't, so it's madness by the club and we have two midfielder in the back four because that's their MO.

Ah right.

I don’t pay much attention to him except for when we’ve played Palace when he looks decent. I seem to remember him doing a number on Trent at Selhurst last season funnily enough.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #10964 on: January 15, 2019, 02:27:20 pm »
Exactly, the main thing is he will be back for the CL games, along with Matip and Gomez. I don't get the panicking.

Panickers have to panic.

It's a hoot looking at some of their post histories.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #10965 on: January 15, 2019, 02:29:32 pm »

People have also said he's shit which is fucking comical and clueless to say the least.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #10966 on: January 15, 2019, 02:29:41 pm »
Imagine thinking a player who has played a handful of times in two years was important to Klopp.

Clyne wanted to leave, why stop him? He isn't needed and still isn't

I've got no issue with him going, but I do think it could have waited until the end of the window when we knew Matip and Gomez would be more or less back.

Trent and Lovren going down is just bad luck, but there'd have been a few more games for Clyne to take part in, especially with him being one league game off a potential league medal.

There does often feel a rush to get squad players off the wage bill at the expense of squad depth. This pre-dates Klopp so I think it is a fair argument, even if ultimately I'm not too concerned about it.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10967 on: January 15, 2019, 02:29:58 pm »
Why are we calling for Clyne when Milner was clearly ahead of him in the pecking order anyway?.
How do you figure that? Clyne was regarded as one of the top three right backs in the country pre-injury and was exemplary against United. Milner has had - correct me if I'm wrong - exactly one game at right back in his entire career.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10968 on: January 15, 2019, 02:30:15 pm »

Who's MO?

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10969 on: January 15, 2019, 02:32:05 pm »
Can everyone stop saying how well Clyne played against the mancs. Fucks sake, i'd have got a good write up in the echo if I had played RB myself

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10970 on: January 15, 2019, 02:32:29 pm »
How do you figure that? Clyne was regarded as one of the top three right backs in the country pre-injury and was exemplary against United. Milner has had - correct me if I'm wrong - exactly one game at right back in his entire career.

In which he was selected ahead of Clyne to start.

Had Milner been fit for the United game, maybe Clyne wouldn’t have started that one either.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10971 on: January 15, 2019, 02:33:05 pm »
Who's MO?

Michael Owen - Palace have signed him until the end of the season. He’ll skin us now Trent is out and we’ve sold Clyne.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #10972 on: January 15, 2019, 02:33:44 pm »

Milner started ahead of Clyne against Bournemouth and Wolves. He was injured for the United one.

That said it's about options and match-ups. Clyne was a better option against Rashford and probably would have been against Zaha this weekend. Milner had no real direct opponent in his two games as Fraser was central and Wolves play with wing-backs. Regardless, he did very well and I'm sure he will this weekend.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10973 on: January 15, 2019, 02:34:31 pm »
No one can convince me that loaning Clyne out was anything other than sheer stupidity by the club. Yeah, I get that we can play Milner or Fabinho there but if we pick up an injury in midfield (like we just have with Wijnaldum) then putting in a midfielder there further weakens us in midfield. Ideally Gomez comes back and we play Matip alongside VVD and he goes at RB, but he might still be weeks away. There's always a chance of a setback too.

Probable back 4 for Sat;

Milner - Matip - VVD - Robertson

Potential midfielders to choose from:
Fabinho
Henderson
Keita
Shaqiri
Jones
Potentially Lallana?

So for this weekend we're fine. Then there's 11 days to our next match when Lovren and Gomez should be back.

So our selection goes to;

Probable back 4 for Leicester

Gomez- Matip/Lovren - VVD - Robertson

Midfielders to choose from:
Fabinho
Henderson
Wijnaldum
Milner
Keita
Shaqiri
Lallana

Also remember that Klopp pulled the plug on Camacho going. So there must have been the conscious choice between either him or Clyne as back up to the back up to the back up RB.

Of course if we got another few injuries there could be trouble. But then we might as well say what happens if all the front 3 get injured, why have we sold Solanke. Clyne's played about 10 games for us in the past 18 months, he's not an option anymore.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #10974 on: January 15, 2019, 02:38:16 pm »
If we do have any more injuries we've still got Van Dijk junior to call upon from the youth system.

Best start thinking of a song for Ki-Jana now....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-q_gAM1BXQ
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10975 on: January 15, 2019, 02:42:42 pm »
People saying Brighton was a must win

Are you really saying that after losing 2 in a row, regardless of circumstances, that a draw at Brighton would have been a good result?

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10976 on: January 15, 2019, 02:42:51 pm »
Should have kept Klavan as well
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10977 on: January 15, 2019, 02:44:12 pm »
I've got no issue with him going, but I do think it could have waited until the end of the window when we knew Matip and Gomez would be more or less back.

Trent and Lovren going down is just bad luck, but there'd have been a few more games for Clyne to take part in, especially with him being one league game off a potential league medal.

There does often feel a rush to get squad players off the wage bill at the expense of squad depth. This pre-dates Klopp so I think it is a fair argument, even if ultimately I'm not too concerned about it.

You wonder what impact that would have had on Clyne though. Think we underestimate how difficult it is too keep a squad of players happy, and undervalue the impact unhappy players can have on squad harmony and results.

So we tell Clyne he can go at the end of the window, as long as we don't suffer a couple more injuries. Meanwhile he's knocking the door down, saying that he wants to go to Bournemouth and they'll move on to someone else if they're made to wait three weeks. So he's furious, and kicking up a stink and moaning to other players on the periphery. And then Trent gets his injury at Brighton, and Klopp needs Clyne for the bench. Maybe he even gets a start. But come the end of January, Gomez returns and Clyne's back to sitting in the stands. Maybe he gets a loan offer at the end of the window, but it won't be a club in a good position like Bournemouth - might even have to bite the bullet and sign with Warnock! Or nothing materialises, and we've got a pissed off player, who is nowhere near the 18, becoming a potentially negative influence on the rest of the squad.

Clearly that's all a bit over the top, but I do think it's something we ignore too often. Especially with a manager like Klopp, who quite evidently creates an amazing ethos in his squad and has to be really careful that little things don't throw it off balance.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10978 on: January 15, 2019, 02:45:28 pm »
Probable back 4 for Sat;

Milner - Matip - VVD - Robertson

Potential midfielders to choose from:
Fabinho
Henderson
Keita
Shaqiri
Jones
Potentially Lallana?

So for this weekend we're fine. Then there's 11 days to our next match when Lovren and Gomez should be back.

So our selection goes to;

Probable back 4 for Leicester

Gomez- Matip/Lovren - VVD - Robertson

Midfielders to choose from:
Fabinho
Henderson
Wijnaldum
Milner
Keita
Shaqiri
Lallana

Also remember that Klopp pulled the plug on Camacho going. So there must have been the conscious choice between either him or Clyne as back up to the back up to the back up RB.

Of course if we got another few injuries there could be trouble. But then we might as well say what happens if all the front 3 get injured, why have we sold Solanke. Clyne's played about 10 games for us in the past 18 months, he's not an option anymore.
Would you have sold Solanke if 2 of the 3 fowards were injured going into January and another one was just back after being out for 2-3 games? Selling/loaning a 3rd choice player when everyone is fit is one thing, to do it when we already have injuries seems like an unnecessary risk.

I don't think there will be any problem having Milner at RB for one-two games as you point out above, but what would've been the downside in keeping Clyne until Matip and in particular Gomez are back? We could've loaned him out at the end of the window anyway (or not if hit by more injuries).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 02:46:59 pm by Roger Federer »

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10979 on: January 15, 2019, 02:51:53 pm »
You wonder what impact that would have had on Clyne though. Think we underestimate how difficult it is too keep a squad of players happy, and undervalue the impact unhappy players can have on squad harmony and results.

So we tell Clyne he can go at the end of the window, as long as we don't suffer a couple more injuries. Meanwhile he's knocking the door down, saying that he wants to go to Bournemouth and they'll move on to someone else if they're made to wait three weeks. So he's furious, and kicking up a stink and moaning to other players on the periphery. And then Trent gets his injury at Brighton, and Klopp needs Clyne for the bench. Maybe he even gets a start. But come the end of January, Gomez returns and Clyne's back to sitting in the stands. Maybe he gets a loan offer at the end of the window, but it won't be a club in a good position like Bournemouth - might even have to bite the bullet and sign with Warnock! Or nothing materialises, and we've got a pissed off player, who is nowhere near the 18, becoming a potentially negative influence on the rest of the squad.

Clearly that's all a bit over the top, but I do think it's something we ignore too often. Especially with a manager like Klopp, who quite evidently creates an amazing ethos in his squad and has to be really careful that little things don't throw it off balance.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh.

Too many footy manager heads in here thinking they know the ins and outs of being a football manager because they won a few leagues on footy manager.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10980 on: January 15, 2019, 02:53:32 pm »
The only two players I do not want to have injuries are Virgil and Alisson. We will be fine.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #10981 on: January 15, 2019, 02:55:11 pm »
The only two players I do not want to have injuries are Virgil and Alisson. We will be fine.
+Robertson, Salah, Firmino.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10982 on: January 15, 2019, 02:58:18 pm »

I don't think there will be any problem having Milner at RB for one-two games as you point out above, but what would've been the downside in keeping Clyne until Matip and in particular Gomez are back? We could've loaned him out at the end of the window anyway (or not if hit by more injuries).

Maybe Clyne pushed for the move, the clubs interested in him wouldn't have waited until the end of Jan and moved onto other targets? Everything is ifs and buts. We know Matip, Lovren and Gomez are back by the start of Feb, and we've got a nice break between games for recovery. And when Clyne was loaned out, Trent was fit. We can't tell Clyne, or any player, we're hanging onto to you in case this lad gets injured, even though it doesn't mean you're going to start any games.

Clyne not being here doesn't change anything imo, other than him not being on the bench.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10983 on: January 15, 2019, 02:59:09 pm »
Who's MO?

Michael Owen - Palace have signed him until the end of the season. He’ll skin us now Trent is out and we’ve sold Clyne.

Yep, at least until his hamstrings go.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #10984 on: January 15, 2019, 02:59:45 pm »
bizarre
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10985 on: January 15, 2019, 02:59:50 pm »
Yep, at least until his hamstrings go.

Or he wants to go back to Real.

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10986 on: January 15, 2019, 03:07:33 pm »
Maybe Clyne pushed for the move, the clubs interested in him wouldn't have waited until the end of Jan and moved onto other targets? Everything is ifs and buts. We know Matip, Lovren and Gomez are back by the start of Feb, and we've got a nice break between games for recovery. And when Clyne was loaned out, Trent was fit. We can't tell Clyne, or any player, we're hanging onto to you in case this lad gets injured, even though it doesn't mean you're going to start any games.

Clyne not being here doesn't change anything imo, other than him not being on the bench.
Isn't that what we do with all our back up players? We wouldn't have 22-24 first team players otherwise. How many games has Moreno started this season for example? He is only there in case something happens to Robertson, we're even reluctant to rotate Robertson and give him a rest.

Of course there is a possibility that Clyne would kick up a fuss about leaving before the end of Jan, but that seem a bit far fetched. Is there any evidence of that sort of behaviour from him? Anyway, it is nothing major, I just don't see what the downside in having Clyne now would've been. Even if he'd only make the bench for a game or two more.

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10988 on: January 15, 2019, 03:11:43 pm »
Isn't that what we do with all our back up players? We wouldn't have 22-24 first team players otherwise. How many games has Moreno started this season for example? He is only there in case something happens to Robertson, we're even reluctant to rotate Robertson and give him a rest.

Of course there is a possibility that Clyne would kick up a fuss about leaving before the end of Jan, but that seem a bit far fetched. Is there any evidence of that sort of behaviour from him? Anyway, it is nothing major, I just don't see what the downside in having Clyne now would've been. Even if he'd only make the bench for a game or two more.

Moreno at least gets on the bench most weeks. He can genuinely say he's one injury away from starting every week unlike Clyne who was, for the most part, sitting in the stands and behind three other players in the RB hierarchy.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10989 on: January 15, 2019, 03:16:17 pm »
Are you really saying that after losing 2 in a row, regardless of circumstances, that a draw at Brighton would have been a good result?

Did I say anything remotely like that? No. I said some people said Brighton was a must win. It was not.

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10990 on: January 15, 2019, 03:17:56 pm »
Moreno at least gets on the bench most weeks. He can genuinely say he's one injury away from starting every week unlike Clyne who was, for the most part, sitting in the stands and behind three other players in the RB hierarchy.
We prefer to use Gomez and Milner ahead of him, sure, so it is a bit different. As I said, nothing major, but with injuries in December to all of TAA, Gomez and Matip I think we could've waited a bit.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10991 on: January 15, 2019, 03:18:56 pm »
Did I say anything remotely like that? No. I said some people said Brighton was a must win. It was not.

It obviously wasn’t must win in the sense that we desperately needed the points, but I think, had we say, drawn it, then a 7 point gap being cut down to 2 in the space of 10 days would have been demoralising to say the least, especially with the cup exit in the middle of that.

For me that was a game we needed a win in to address any notions of a collapse, and also to stop City from smelling blood. It wasn’t a must win, but I do think it was a massive win.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10992 on: January 15, 2019, 03:23:13 pm »
Then it's a bit daft especially considering Clyne played right before we let him go and looked alright, against United no less.

He did, but there's two other things going on here. Firstly we don't have 1% of the information Klopp and the team has on him and what they think and secondly if Clyne was getting more pissed off that he was't getting a look in and very likely he would't get a start once fit, do you want a disruptive player in the club that doesn't want to be involved in the journey. Again now I am guessing that was the problem but the point is Klopp knows more than everyone on here combined so while we have Milner, Fab and others in front of Clyne I haven't a problem and there is no problem so we don't need to look for one.

Thing people need to ask is that even if Clyne was still here would Klopp have picked him ahead of Milner or Fab for Palace anyway?

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #10993 on: January 15, 2019, 03:23:59 pm »
Is this related to the injury he suffered in the warm up? That’s what the Echo is implying. If true, a really bad decision to let him play the game.
YWNA

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10994 on: January 15, 2019, 03:26:59 pm »
Is this related to the injury he suffered in the warm up? That’s what the Echo is implying. If true, a really bad decision to let him play the game.

It's his knee apparently and was an ankle against Brighton. No confirmation on if they're related so just guess work at the mo.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10995 on: January 15, 2019, 03:29:49 pm »
Even if they are related, the medical staff can’t see into the future. Sometimes you just have to make a judgment call, and Trent played 90 minutes and had a good game, after the match Klopp was hailing it as a great call.

You win some you lose some.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10996 on: January 15, 2019, 03:30:08 pm »
It obviously wasn’t must win in the sense that we desperately needed the points, but I think, had we say, drawn it, then a 7 point gap being cut down to 2 in the space of 10 days would have been demoralising to say the least, especially with the cup exit in the middle of that.

For me that was a game we needed a win in to address any notions of a collapse, and also to stop City from smelling blood. It wasn’t a must win, but I do think it was a massive win.

Is was a big win but it's January. There was no need for the hysteria some people were getting into imo. The calmer we are at games and the less pressure we put on players the better, the more hysterical we get it's not going to help. Don't get me wrong I'm going to be filling my pants come April but I just wish everyone would get off the Sky sports hype wagon until it gets a bit more serious. Klopp is handling this all fantastically, it's a time to be happy, calm and enjoy the games, we just need to follow his lead.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10997 on: January 15, 2019, 03:31:35 pm »

We don't know what Trent told them, so a bit of a knee-jerk reaction that.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10998 on: January 15, 2019, 03:39:39 pm »
He did, but there's two other things going on here. Firstly we don't have 1% of the information Klopp and the team has on him and what they think and secondly if Clyne was getting more pissed off that he was't getting a look in and very likely he would't get a start once fit, do you want a disruptive player in the club that doesn't want to be involved in the journey. Again now I am guessing that was the problem but the point is Klopp knows more than everyone on here combined so while we have Milner, Fab and others in front of Clyne I haven't a problem and there is no problem so we don't need to look for one.

Thing people need to ask is that even if Clyne was still here would Klopp have picked him ahead of Milner or Fab for Palace anyway?

Pretty sure he would seeing, as;

1. Fab will be playing at cb
2. he started clyne in some 50+ matches since Klopp joined, Klopp has lots of faith in him.
3. The likes of Zaha and Townsend are available for palace,

clyne will be a big miss

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10999 on: January 15, 2019, 03:40:40 pm »
Pretty sure he would seeing, as;

1. Fab will be playing at cb
2. he started clyne in some 50+ matches since Klopp joined, Klopp has lots of faith in him.
3. The likes of Zaha and Townsend are available for palace,

clyne will be a big miss

Why would Fabinho be CB again when Matip is fit?