Author Topic: Jonjo Shelvey  (Read 82719 times)

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
Re: Reds confirm Shelvey sale to Swansea City
« Reply #400 on: February 24, 2014, 09:00:17 am »
Those people comparing Shelvey to Alberto are wrong. You should be comparing Shelvey to Henderson. Both were told they wouldn't be guaranteed a first team place. One chose to leave to get games the other knuckled down and earned his place through sheer graft.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #401 on: February 24, 2014, 09:06:47 am »
All we know at this stage is that neither Shelvey or Alberto are good enough for our first team.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: February 24, 2014, 09:07:30 am »
Always has a good game against us, but let's be honest he hasn't exactly produced for Swansea this season. Good lad though.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: February 24, 2014, 09:24:23 am »
He hit one shot which went miles wide and high and one shot that ended up in the top corner of the net. Sums up Shelvey.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: February 24, 2014, 09:30:32 am »
I like him. He could have hung around and been a squad player but he wanted to play the game. Good for him. You can see why we couldn't keep him though.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
  • Games : 535. Won : 308. Drawn : 131. Lost : 96
« Reply #405 on: February 24, 2014, 09:30:47 am »
Those people comparing Shelvey to Alberto are wrong. You should be comparing Shelvey to Henderson. Both were told they wouldn't be guaranteed a first team place. One chose to leave to get games the other knuckled down and earned his place through sheer graft.

:wellin :wellin
You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good.

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #406 on: February 24, 2014, 09:37:35 am »
Pure comedy that some people want Shelvey back. Really like that lad and the respect he showed was heart warming, but he still is not Liverpool level. Look at his performances throughout the season and then come back please.. And why the hell should you slag Alberto in this thread ?? RAWK does make me wonder some days of just how insecure people can be.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #407 on: February 24, 2014, 10:16:39 am »
Pure comedy that some people want Shelvey back.

Wait! What? lol really....I tell you what though, there is a player....umm..Adam? i think his name is.....couple of goals this season have been like totally MEGGGGAAAA.....we should get him

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #408 on: February 24, 2014, 10:19:32 am »
Always has a good game against us, but let's be honest he hasn't exactly produced for Swansea this season. Good lad though.

He has been very good if a little inconsistent for Swansea. He is there most creative central midfield player atm.
Phuk yoo

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #409 on: February 24, 2014, 10:34:52 am »
Pure comedy that some people want Shelvey back.

Seems like most people have said the opposite actually, and that he wouldnt get near our team. Which he wouldnt.

Shelvey's great fun as long as you're not relying on him yourself. You get to enjoy of all the sublime as well as the ridiculous.

He'll be 22 in a few days, still a young player who will likely improve. I look forward to watching it happen safe in the knowledge that we dont have to suffer through it actually meaning anything to us.

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: February 24, 2014, 10:49:15 am »
No one is comparing Shelvey with Alberto. I was saying that in this current campaign Shelvey would have played more games than Alberto. You cannot argue with it. Albero may as well be a cardboard cut out on the bench, because he ain't coming on. Shelvey was starting in the league against United and Chelsea. So whatever you may believe about Rodgers' thoughts on Shelvey it's fairly fucking obvious that he rated him to a degree.

Alberto got 5 minutes away at Bournemouth in the FA cup and didn't make our squad yesterday.

It's not about the players being compared, Alberto may be ok, but Shelvey would have added something to our squad this season. It's at least a body, Alberto doesn't get a sniff. Rodgers appeared to trust Shelvey, i don't get that impression with Alberto.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:50:56 am by Pricey »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #411 on: February 24, 2014, 11:00:32 am »
No one is comparing Shelvey with Alberto. I was saying that in this current campaign Shelvey would have played more games than Alberto. You cannot argue with it. Albero may as well be a cardboard cut out on the bench, because he ain't coming on. Shelvey was starting in the league against United and Chelsea. So whatever you may believe about Rodgers' thoughts on Shelvey it's fairly fucking obvious that he rated him to a degree.

Alberto got 5 minutes away at Bournemouth in the FA cup and didn't make our squad yesterday.

It's not about the players being compared, Alberto may be ok, but Shelvey would have added something to our squad this season. It's at least a body, Alberto doesn't get a sniff. Rodgers appeared to trust Shelvey, i don't get that impression with Alberto.
trusted him so much he started one game out of our last 19 last season, 153-minutes in those last 19-games and then he sold him.

And that was in a poorer team.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:02:17 am by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Pricey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: February 24, 2014, 11:17:54 am »
trusted him so much he started one game out of our last 19 last season, 153-minutes in those last 19-games and then he sold him.

And that was in a poorer team.

Tell yourself all day selling Shelvey was a good idea. I personally think we'll live to regret it.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #413 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:12 am »
Tell yourself all day selling Shelvey was a good idea. I personally think we'll live to regret it.
I'll try and console myself with watching Coutinho play as the attacking midfielder.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Pricey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: February 24, 2014, 11:23:03 am »
I'll try and console myself with watching Coutinho play as the attacking midfielder.

Did you feel great when we were bringing on Brad Smith away at Chelsea?

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #415 on: February 24, 2014, 11:23:10 am »

Can you imagine Shelvey playing LW or RW for that matter?

Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling, Suarez, Alberto, Henderson can.

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: February 24, 2014, 11:27:12 am »

Yep i'm sure we will, when we can sign top players for next season because we will probably be in the champions league, we will be gutted watching Shelvey playing for Swansea   :'(

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #417 on: February 24, 2014, 11:27:36 am »
Did you feel great when we were bringing on Brad Smith away at Chelsea?
Yes, It was nice to bring someone on with a bit of pace who may change things, bit like when Teixeira came on against Fulham and we added some guile and intelligence. All three things that Shelvey lacks.

The last game Shelvey played for us on the wing we lost 3-1 at home to Villa.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: February 24, 2014, 11:29:08 am »
His reluctance to celebrate, and the crowd's applause, was a show of mutual respect.

I actually think he went too far in the opposite direction, it is one thing to choose to not to celebrate, but he was basically apologising for scoring which show a lack of respect to Swansea and their visiting fans who had come a long for this match.

Offline Pricey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: February 24, 2014, 11:31:42 am »
Can you imagine Shelvey playing LW or RW for that matter?

Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling, Suarez, Alberto, Henderson can.

Did i suggest we should play him there?

We need central midfielders this season, we have 4 for 3 positions and one of them is injured. At a point Gerrard was injured.

The WTF was practically in meltdown for 31 days because we needed a CM and Alberto doesn't get a sniff.

Shelvey would have seen plenty of game time this season. It was absolute lunacy to sell him.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #420 on: February 24, 2014, 11:36:12 am »
Shelvey would have seen plenty of game time this season. It was absolute lunacy to sell him.
How do you know that? He only played 153-minutes in his last 19-games so how do you know that Rodgers would have used him? The fact he sold him tells you he wouldn't have used him surely?

He couldn't get in the team when we were knocking around mid table last season, when exactly would he have played in a team competing for the places at the top of the table? 

Online Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: February 24, 2014, 11:37:47 am »
Did i suggest we should play him there?

We need central midfielders this season, we have 4 for 3 positions and one of them is injured. At a point Gerrard was injured.

The WTF was practically in meltdown for 31 days because we needed a CM and Alberto doesn't get a sniff.

Oh yeah absolute lunacy, because we are clearly struggling without him? He has found his level

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #422 on: February 24, 2014, 11:39:34 am »
I actually think he went too far in the opposite direction, it is one thing to choose to not to celebrate, but he was basically apologising for scoring which show a lack of respect to Swansea and their visiting fans who had come a long for this match.
That's how I took it, nicw gesture, just taken a bit far imo,, maybe i'm just a miserable prick.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #423 on: February 24, 2014, 11:40:55 am »
It doesnt matter whether we could've used him or not.

Lets give him credit where it is due, he has been good at Swansea and is only going to improve further. The lad is gonna turn into a really good player.

And I am happy he holds Liverpool in such high regard.

So posts like the one below are NOT needed.
He has found his level
Phuk yoo

Online Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: February 24, 2014, 11:42:03 am »
It doesnt matter whether we could've used him or not.

Lets give him credit where it is due, he has been good at Swansea and is only going to improve further. The lad is gonna turn into a really good player.

And I am happy he holds Liverpool in such high regard.

So posts like the one below are NOT needed.

Sorry MOD  :)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #425 on: February 24, 2014, 11:43:09 am »
I found this interesting on Shelvey:

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/1161?cc=5739

(just a snippet)

With half-an-hour played in Liverpool's FA Cup third round tie at Mansfield Town, there was a piercing whistle, loud enough to be heard across the entire county of Nottinghamshire. It was not the whistle of the referee, but of Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, who crouched in the ramshackle dugout at Field Mill.

On that bitterly cold January afternoon came acerbic words for Jonjo Shelvey, the man entrusted as Liverpool's creative pivot, the position most important to Rodgers' way of playing. "Jonjo," Rodgers shouted, while placing his two middle fingers upon either temple. "Jonjo, get tighter, focus."

Shelvey acknowledged Rodgers' request with a nod of the head and a thumbs-up, before placing his hands on his hips and staying static as the ball broke forward. Rodgers whistled and motioned once more; once more Shelvey gave signal he understood. Rodgers turned away, frustrated, muttering to assistant Colin Pascoe.

The whistling and shouting could be heard so clearly because the non-league side's support, boisterous upon kick-off, had quieted. Daniel Sturridge's debut goal within five minutes had dampened the atmosphere; it was a goal set up expertly by Shelvey, a pass as incisive as it was intelligent. Yet here was Rodgers on the touchline, no more than 20 minutes later, frustrated, angry, flummoxed.

This was a microcosm of Shelvey and the mystification of the 21-year-old: from quality to maddening inability within seconds. He had played a big part in giving Liverpool the lead, but was also visibly contributing to their struggles off the ball.

Rodgers spent a while micro-managing the midfielder at Mansfield, far too long in truth. The Northern Irishman would whistle, beckon, instruct; he would tell him where to stand, who to mark, when to press the opposition. Solitary words as verbal Post-it notes, failing to stick with the youngster.

It was not laziness from Shelvey, nor was it an absence of desire -- the only thing absent was his mind and legs. He looked weary on the heavy, mud-stained pitch; he looked confused at the role expected of him behind Sturridge, particularly defensively.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #426 on: February 24, 2014, 11:43:22 am »
Sorry MOD  :)

:P :P

Why not enjoy the fact that one of our ex players is doing really well for himself? Especially since he holds us in high regard as clearly seen by his (non) celebration.

Phuk yoo

Online Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: February 24, 2014, 11:47:42 am »
:P :P

Why not enjoy the fact that one of our ex players is doing really well for himself? Especially since he holds us in high regard as clearly seen by his (non) celebration.

I have praised him in my earlier post, but people saying we will regret selling him are being over the top as to me he isn't a top 4 midfielder and never will be

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: February 24, 2014, 11:50:51 am »
Pricey are you not well ?  what has he dones exactly in games when hes not faced us?
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #429 on: February 24, 2014, 11:51:48 am »
I have praised him in my earlier post, but people saying we will regret selling him are being over the top as to me he isn't a top 4 midfielder and never will be

I'd beg to disagree, think he will play for a top 4 club within 2-3 years and also become an England regular.

The lad is really good. Its just that he is inconsistent and makes some really rash decisions. Once he settles down and learns to play within a tactical framework, he will be very very good.

As it is, he is good enough for a top half team , as a starter.  He is no worse than Barkley for example. Or even Cleverly for that matter.
Phuk yoo

Offline Pricey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: February 24, 2014, 11:54:53 am »
Pricey are you not well ?  what has he dones exactly in games when hes not faced us?

Enough to start for the one of the most technical teams in the country. Played very well in a lot of games and scored some very impressive goals. For someone of his age in his first season at a new club he's doing very well. You want to see him nominated for the Ballon D'or? I'm not saying he's world class, i'm saying he'd be more useful in our squad than not. Currently we have no players on the bench who can play centre midfield. It'd be nice to have an option.

It's funny how patience is key when it comes to young players but when Shelvey has a wayward game it's because he's shite.

I'm not saying it was 100% wrong to get him somewhere else playing games this season, i think we should have loaned him. Selling him for 6/7 million given his potential to bring in a player who categorically does not play, is absolutely fucking stupid, it's a non debate.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:56:27 am by Pricey »

Online Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: February 24, 2014, 11:55:25 am »
I'd beg to disagree, think he will play for a top 4 club within 2-3 years and also become an England regular.

The lad is really good. Its just that he is inconsistent and makes some really rash decisions. Once he settles down and learns to play within a tactical framework, he will be very very good.

As it is, he is good enough for a top half team , as a starter.  He is no worse than Barkley for example. Or even Cleverly for that matter.

Come on, can you see him starting in a champions league game in central midfield?

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: February 24, 2014, 12:10:37 pm »
Was surprised we sold him last year as he's still only 21 but I can't think of a single game this season where I've looked at us and thought we're missing him - which is possibly partly why Luis Alberto hasn't played much either. If there's something we've lacked from a creative point of view this year it's another option to Sterling out wide and the signings we've looked to make since last summer would suggest Rodgers feels the same. Sometimes players don't fit at a club and need a move to kick start things. Jonjo might be like that. He reminds me a bit of Danny Murphy - very good on the ball but sometimes his brain works twice as quickly as his legs.

He's a good lad, has lots of potential and scored a quality goal yesterday. Wish him all the best
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #433 on: February 24, 2014, 12:18:19 pm »

Exactly. How is it 'respect' to suggest a goal against us at Anfield isn't worth celebrating?  That should be the pinnacle of your career, one to tell the kids about, 'i scored a wonderful goal at Anfield against Liverpool the year Brendan Rodgers won his first premier league trophy. ' But no, it's not even worth shouting about for some players these days. That's not a mark of respect in my book, that's something else entirely.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: February 24, 2014, 12:22:18 pm »

Shelvey will turn out a bit like Charlie Adam if you ask me.  He'll make for a great highlights reels and will go on the odd good run of scoring and assisting.  But over 90 minutes week in week out just won't do enough to make it at a top club.  He's found his level if you ask me.

Offline Pricey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: February 24, 2014, 12:26:48 pm »
Exactly. How is it 'respect' to suggest a goal against us at Anfield isn't worth celebrating?  That should be the pinnacle of your career, one to tell the kids about, 'i scored a wonderful goal at Anfield against Liverpool the year Brendan Rodgers won his first premier league trophy. ' But no, it's not even worth shouting about for some players these days. That's not a mark of respect in my book, that's something else entirely.

What would you have said if he went berserk and did a knee slide in front of the Kop?

You can't have it both ways. It was a nice gesture, and to be honest he probably saw it as a consolation goal. Had he scored the winner in the last minute you'd have seen a different reaction.

Offline Pricey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: February 24, 2014, 12:28:44 pm »
Shelvey will turn out a bit like Charlie Adam if you ask me.  He'll make for a great highlights reels and will go on the odd good run of scoring and assisting.  But over 90 minutes week in week out just won't do enough to make it at a top club.  He's found his level if you ask me.

Fair enough, it's a decent comparison. One is much younger but i see where you're coming from. If Shelvey finds some consistency, discipline and reins in his aggression you've got a top class player. Technically he's very good. Time will tell.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #437 on: February 24, 2014, 12:31:28 pm »
What would you have said if he went berserk and did a knee slide in front of the Kop?

Nothing, the lad scored a beautiful goal. This isn't that complicated. The goal was distressing, the celebration really doesn't make it any worse unless it's offensive in some way.
You can't have it both ways. It was a nice gesture, and to be honest he probably saw it as a consolation goal. Had he scored the winner in the last minute you'd have seen a different reaction.

I don't want it both ways, thanks. Player scores goal, player goes "yearse" same as always. Thanks very much.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: February 24, 2014, 12:32:19 pm »

There is a huge difference between not celebrating or a subdued celebration and what he did which was effectively apologise for scoring.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #439 on: February 24, 2014, 12:32:56 pm »
Spot-on.