Author Topic: Premier League 2013/2014. Potentially the biggest in a long time.....  (Read 10265 times)

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
New managers at United, Everton, City and Chelsea.  Arsenal keeping faith with Wenger and threatening to spend big.  Spurs potentially losing the player of the year and ourselves the unelected player of the year.

I really can't think of a season with so much change in the history of the premier league.  So many clubs are making massive changes and we find ourselves in a very mixed position ourself.  BR and the lads had a great 2nd half of the season, and I think we have some continuity for next season, more than some of the others.  And were really making an intent with our early season transfer work.

I really think this season is massive and if we get things right we can position ourselves in a great position for the next few seasons.  This isn't a were going to win the league thread but we can make some great progress.  I'm an eternal optimist but with good reason this season I think.
Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline seanbren

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Appreciate the sentiment Kite.
Can we review in May 2014?

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
It's gonna be an exciting season..... not just as a Liverpool fan, but also as a football fan. There's so many things to look out for.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
This will probably be the make/break for Rodgers this season. He really must get his transfers right, but I think he will. If there was ever a chance to get back into the top 4, it's now, with all sides around transitioning into a new.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Kite

• Legacy Fan
Appreciate the sentiment Kite.
Can we review in May 2014?

Even forget ourselves.  Its a massive season all round.

Offline Kite

• Legacy Fan
Football can change in cycles and ours have often been link with those of United.  So that is playing a part in my head too.  Although the money in football now probably influences those cycles more than the clubs themselves.

Offline TLW 84

• Kopite
We need to shore things up a bit at the back and I'm a bit concerned that we're 'building from the front' rather than the other way around, so I'm not getting too carried away at the moment. I'm of course as hopeful as ever though.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Pity Wenger didn't go too, it'd feel like a completely new start
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Kite

• Legacy Fan
Pity Wenger didn't go too, it'd feel like a completely new start

That in itself though is as risky as a new manager.  If Wenger gets the cheque book out he's under a lot of pressure. 

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
That in itself though is as risky as a new manager.  If Wenger gets the cheque book out he's under a lot of pressure. 

It gets said every season though that Arsenal are going to spend big, i'll believe it when I see it
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Premier League 2013/2014. Potentially the biggest in a long time.....
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 12:20:37 am »
Can't be as shite as last season. Worst top flight league I've ever seen. The quality was laughable from every team.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Kite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 12:27:03 am »
Can't be as shite as last season. Worst top flight league I've ever seen. The quality was laughable from every team.

Have to agree the overall quality of the PL has gone down.  And the only barometer of that we have is the CL I suppose some might say.  But bollocks we all know what were watching week in week out and it wasn't great last season at all.  United won it at a canter with nothing special.

Offline Red Reign

• Anny Roader
  • Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin'.
Premier League 2013/2014. Potentially the biggest in a long time.....
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 12:36:12 am »
If, and it's a big IF, Rodgers gets all his signings I do believe we'll compete with the big boys atop the table. Perhaps I'm being way too optimistic but that'll be one hell of a team in both technical ability and depth. Come on Ayre, get us some early Christmas presents.
“Just go out and drop a few hand grenades all over the place son.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 07:20:18 am »
Wouldn't surprise me if Chelsea won it with Mourinho now back.
I expect a more exciting season with better football played compared to last.
I still think our problem will be conceding goals this season but will reserve any serious predictions until the start of the season.

Offline VAred

• Main Stander
  • Hope is a waking dream
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 07:35:39 am »
Absolutely can't wait for the start if this season.  Hopefully we carry on playing like the end of last season and we will be fine.  Not gonna post any predictions I just hope we are fun to watch.  Also looking forward to a whole season of our little number 10 pulling strings.
The opposite of left

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 08:16:02 am »
21st of June...summer solstice.....holidays.....Ambre Solaire....Foster Grant Wraparounds
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 08:27:56 am »
Every season, every f***in season, we get a reason for optimism and it comes back to hit the face. The club should stop interviewing players/ex players (especially Aldo) about the expectations for the new season on their website. They should just tell them to concentrate on the pitch
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 08:32:17 am »
Naah, there's still only 20 teams in it.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 08:41:04 am »
We say this every year. Granted there probably is more of a change but lets be honest its not easier than previous. United aren't gonna fall off a cliff, city will be good with pellegrini, mourinho wins wherever he goes (especially if backed financially) Wenger/arsenal signalling there intention with somebody like Higuain. With spurs i suppose it hinges on bale but they'll be competitive and villas boas is settled now. As difficult as ever, maybe more intriguing. We're improving and youthful but it'll be a difficult season.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:30 am »
Best part of being a football fan right now.  It's all about optimism.  We look at the games and say "yeah we can win 9 out of those opening 10".

Then reality sinks in (normally following the first game)!

There is a different feel to next season purely because of the change at Man Utd.  No one really know what will happen there, but I wouldn't rule out Man U winning the title or even finishing as low as 6th.  It's very very fluid.

Chelsea and Man City are unknown quantities because of the change of manager.  Yes Mourinho has won things everywhere, but he has inherited an ageing squad.  Man City were poor last season given their quality and Pelligrini is a great manager who should turn that around. But we don't know if he'll settle immediately. 

Arsenal need some signings.  Will they make them and if they do, will they settle immediately?

Spurs still look like a one man team. What happens if that man goes? Can they build a team around him if he stays?

As for us... we are also looking to make an overhaul.  We hope that the rumoured signings will come and settle quickly, but there are no guarantees.

The exciting thing about next season is that we genuinely don't know who the out and out favourites are.  Many would argue that it is Chelsea and Man City, but they have new managers so you just don't know. Writing off Man U is something no Liverpool fan should do. Arsenal have a settled manager, but where is the ambition?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 09:23:54 am »
Yes Mourinho has won things everywhere, but he has inherited an ageing squad. 

OK, Terry, Lampard and Cole need phasing out but they have an embarrassment of riches elsewhere of good young players when you include the ones they've had loaned out.

It'll be unpredictable next season nodoubt, seems like Arsneal will be stregnthening significantly too so expectations need to be realistic although nothing wrong with some summer optimism!

As said, the biggest unknown quantitty is how United will cope without Ferguson. Will they just plough on relentlessly anyway as you could say they manage themselves anyway. Or will they get off to a bad satrt, become a big talking point and crumble under the pressure (he says hopefully!)?

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 09:41:21 am »
As said, the biggest unknown quantitty is how United will cope without Ferguson. Will they just plough on relentlessly anyway as you could say they manage themselves anyway. Or will they get off to a bad satrt, become a big talking point and crumble under the pressure (he says hopefully!)?
I don't think United will be fine even without him. They may not win the league, but I doubt they'll crumble under pressure. They most probably will get a bad start with the fixture list they have. But they'll be fine in the end. Personally I don't see any changes to the top-4 next season, except the position between themselves

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 09:52:50 am »
The first 6 games without Luis Suarez is what make's our season.

It basically gives us fans, and Rodgers himself, where the club is at in terms of "who's a passenger" or who's ready to contribute and take the pressure of Gerrard and Suarez in games.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 10:24:36 am »
Every season, every f***in season, we get a reason for optimism and it comes back to hit the face. The club should stop interviewing players/ex players (especially Aldo) about the expectations for the new season on their website. They should just tell them to concentrate on the pitch

I doubt Aldo will be on the pitch much this season ;)
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 10:25:19 am »
I too am extremely excited about the new season, 4 of the 6 team who finished above us have a new manager, including Man Utd for the first time since I was 6 months old!  :o This can only work in our favour because as we know better than most it takes time to adapt to new managers styles

I think our team is starting to take shape and look like a team and new signings are being brought in areas we are lacking rather than an overhall which was of course a result of having a different manager in charge for the last 4 pre seasons!

Roll on 13/14, I've got a feeling it'll be a goodun :)

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 11:00:22 am »
Personally, this is the most optimistic I've been since the start of the 09-10 season.
If we can start this season showing the kind of form we displayed during the 2nd half of last season and continue to build on that I'll be happy - the players have had a year under BR and should be looking to kick on.

Some of the younger players (Suso, Sterling, Wisdom) have had a taste of first team football so it'll be interesting to see how they develop this year.  Having them hungry for more starts will put pressure on those in BR's squad as will the added competition from new players..

Getting some of these transfers done early so new players have more time to settle in will certainly help.
With a good pre-season under our belts I'm hoping we're able to start the season with a fully fit squad (inc. Sturridge, SG, Allen, Kelly) and I like the look of our early fixtures - certainly feel we're capable of taking at least 11 points from the first 15 (the next 4 fixtures after that aren't bad either).

It's a big year with so much change in the league but for us it's an opportunity to close the gap on those above us and the players need to grab it with both hands.

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 11:03:57 am »

Dunno, he seems pretty certain to leave Ajax.

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 11:09:21 am »
If you can build on the form that got you 36 points in the second half of the season then you've good grounds for optimism. But there are so many variables this coming season.

How will United do without Ferguson and his coaching team at the helm? It might make little difference but it could just as well fall apart quite quickly.

Will Pellegrini get the most out of an enhanced City squad? If so then I'd fancy our chances.

Will Mourinho repeat his success at Chelsea or will be fall out with Abramovich again? Personally I think the players they have in key positions aren't really his more physical type of player but it will be interesting to see what he gets out of them.

Will Arsenal actually get some proven quality in instead of progressively weakening the squad? For the last two or three seasons I've expected them to finish outside the top 4 but they've clung on somehow, mainly thanks to Spurs' failings.

Will Spurs invest some money in the squad on an attempt to keep Bale or will they cash in and settle for the Europa League? Can't help feeling they've missed the boat while Arsenal have been vulnerable.

Will Everton become a softer touch or actually try to play football under Martinez? They've always struggled for goals but they could usually defend well. Martinez had never shown be can organise a defence though and their team is ageing.

Will Sunderland or Newcastle implode first? Will Hughes do anything at Stoke (see Everton)?

For once there seems to be all to play for in the PL.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 11:12:27 am »
Can't fucking wait for it to kick off again.

I, as always, am hugely optimistic about our chances, really think we have a good chance of making the top 4 this season.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 12:09:10 pm »
Very hard to predict this season, but I'm cautiously optimistic... I was last season as well, and the season before that, but still.

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 12:16:09 pm »
Can't fucking wait for it to kick off again.

I, as always, am hugely optimistic about our chances, really think we have a good chance of making the top 4 this season.

Ditto. I think something really good is brewing. I saw a few signs towards the end of last season that maybe we are starting to come good. Another good pre season and the main thing is to start the league well, as then the pressure will be off slightly. After our horror start last time around I think BR will have the lads chomping at the bit right from the start of the season. As long as all our injury concerns (Stevie, Sturridge and Allen) are fully fit, there is no reason to think the loss of Suarez for the first 6 games (or forever) will bother the team at all. Sort the defence out and I think we can challenge.
I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 12:18:19 pm »
We need to aim for the top, so even if we fail, we come 2nd ;)

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 12:51:23 pm »
:wanker

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 01:01:50 pm »
It's depressing we keep finishing around 7th the quality of the league is lowest i can remember for a number of years, yet we can't seem to get our act together at this opportune moment.

Please just 1 season where everything goes right. Players need to give fans something to shout about!

Im dreading the Season will begin with a wave of expectation maybe we can achieve something and then were sent crashing back to reality like always  :(

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 01:44:36 pm »
It's going to be an exciting season for sure. Other interesting scenarios next season are:

Sunderland with Di Canio overhauling the playing squad and team discipline. They'll be nothing like the Sunderland we're used to.

Southampton with Pochettino: They are building a tidy little team now. They've got defender Lovren from Lyon and are closing in on Wanyama. They could be interesting.

"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline Tatarunas

• Main Stander
  • Bring Them Cups Home
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 02:45:50 pm »
If we win first few games, everyone will go mental as always and expectations will just rise above the reality.
I can only hope we will be able to challenge for top four till the end of the season, and if not finish 4th, fifth place would be an improvement compared to this season.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 02:53:18 pm »
If we win first few games, everyone will go mental as always and expectations will just rise above the reality.
I can only hope we will be able to challenge for top four till the end of the season, and if not finish 4th, fifth place would be an improvement compared to this season.
Congratulations, you've won first prize in todays 'stating the bleeding obvious' competition.

Please collect your prize and a kiss from Pheeny on the way out.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 03:11:05 pm »
Congratulations, you've won first prize in todays 'stating the bleeding obvious' competition.

Please collect your prize and a kiss from Pheeny on the way out.
Yeah? And you're a dick!

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 04:11:46 pm »
Naah, there's still only 20 teams in it.

But did they increase the squad size for each club?

Or are both the players and commentators gaining weight....?
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2013, 05:11:05 pm »
At the moment City and Chelsea are just spending ridiculous amounts making what would be a very open season not as open, I think those two will claim the top 2 places. And then maybe just because of the change of manager United could finish lower but won't drop out of the top 4.

We've still got to compete with Arsenal and Spurs. It's a shame when you're naturally positive about it and then it slaps you in the face and you feel gutted for ages come half the season!