Author Topic: Luis Alberto Suárez Díaz - 17 goals & X assists worth of 'I told you so'  (Read 733071 times)

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Luis Alberto Suárez Díaz - from Original Gangsta to Own Goals
« Reply #5920 on: December 11, 2013, 04:23:24 pm »
I thought he should have been credited with the first Fulham goal as well, anyone know why he wasn't?

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5921 on: December 11, 2013, 04:26:41 pm »
Bet Suarez is thinking he's got a chance to take our penalties now that Gerrard is out (although he is a bit rubbish at them).

True, but I'd hate to be the one to tell him.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5922 on: December 11, 2013, 04:32:41 pm »
I thought he should have been credited with the first Fulham goal as well, anyone know why he wasn't?

Because the keeper saved it, pushed the ball out into the penalty and the defender accidentally knocked it into the goal.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5923 on: December 11, 2013, 04:33:55 pm »
Because the keeper saved it, pushed the ball out into the penalty and the defender accidentally knocked it into the goal.

This is the one I'm talking about

Suarez heads it on target but the defender touches it. It's a shot on target but went down as an own goal.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #5924 on: December 11, 2013, 04:34:34 pm »
If anyone thinks 65m is enough for Luis bear in mind that a Russian club attempted to trigger the Messi clause at £235 or £265 million. His club told them to take a walk. Luis has to be heading in to a ten figure sum given the top end of the market. I think he is more of a game changer than Bale and Real are not complaining about his cost with his measly one hat trick.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5925 on: December 11, 2013, 04:35:15 pm »

Suarez heads it on target but the defender touches it. It's a shot on target but went down as an own goal.

The defender heads it into the goal. It's a great attacking header. Definite own goal that.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5926 on: December 11, 2013, 04:40:01 pm »
The defender heads it into the goal. It's a great attacking header. Definite own goal that.

What's the difference in that and the goal he's just been given against West Ham, both times he shoots and it takes a deflection. I'd argue the Fulham header was much more likely on target than the West Ham shot.

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #5927 on: December 11, 2013, 04:44:25 pm »

Nope, that one I definitely remember going wide. His second goal vs West Ham was curling into the goal though, which is why they probably awarded him for it.
"Our fans cannot give red cards or award penalties, but they can score goals." - Rafa Benitez

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5928 on: December 11, 2013, 04:50:13 pm »
What's the difference in that and the goal he's just been given against West Ham, both times he shoots and it takes a deflection. I'd argue the Fulham header was much more likely on target than the West Ham shot.
It's not clear if Suarez gets a touch on that cross.
That the FA are giving him anything (other than bans) is a miracle in itself.
Baby steps.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5929 on: December 11, 2013, 04:53:28 pm »

That Fulham one is not a deflection. The ball doesn't hit the defender and deflect away, the defender heads it!

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5930 on: December 11, 2013, 05:02:06 pm »
Bet Suarez is thinking he's got a chance to take our penalties now that Gerrard is out (although he is a bit rubbish at them).

Rubbish? He took Ajax's penalties and had a solid record. He's taken 1 or two for Liverpool.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline El Festino

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #5931 on: December 11, 2013, 05:07:10 pm »
Most goals in 38 game PL is 31 by Shearer in 95/96 + 31 by Ronaldo in 07/08 Suarez needs 16 to match + 17 to beat it. 23 games left #LFC

Here's my tweet, https://twitter.com/HijGF/status/410788339000688641 feel free to RT that biatch ;D

Shearer and Ronaldo were taking pens too.

With Gerrard out for a month or so, will Luis be on peno duty? Hope he gets to take one if we get one and he sticks it - might help him break the record.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5932 on: December 11, 2013, 05:08:13 pm »

Rubbish? He took Ajax's penalties and had a solid record. He's taken 1 or two for Liverpool.

It was a slight tongue in cheek comment and it's true that he's taken a couple for us I think. But he's still missed them. Maybe it'll be different now given his scoring record since Rodgers arrived. I don't really care who takes them really as long as we score.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5933 on: December 11, 2013, 05:08:32 pm »
He's taken 2 i think

He missed both

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5934 on: December 11, 2013, 05:10:01 pm »
That would make the system far more complicated than it really needs to be, though, all it has to do is determine whether the ball has crossed the line, where it came from is of no use. In fact, I'd expect that to just cause trouble, the system was only allowed to be introduced on the basis that it can only be used for that sole purpose.

There are other tools that can track ball movement around the field - more like the cricket Hawkeye system, but the ref doesn't, and shouldn't, get the benefit of those. The dubious goals panel obviously has access to all relevant footage, I don't know what, if any, additional technology they use.

It determines whether the ball has crossed the line by tracking the ball, then when it goes past a certain point, a flag is raised to say it's across the line.

I think where the ball came from is actually of use, as the compression of the ball is taken into account, and I reckon they probably do that by simulation like they do in tennis, though I might be entirely wrong on that.

The processing for shot prediction can all be done after the fact as long as you stored the data, it would have no impact on the goal-line decision part of the system.

Offline XabiAlonsosBeard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5935 on: December 11, 2013, 05:11:51 pm »
Nice that the fourth goal against West Ham has been credited to him, as my bet on 2 or more goals is now being paid out.

In terms of valuing Suarez, hopefully it won't come to having to sell him, but you have to factor in the asking price rather than the players value. I think Bale was excellent last season and he attracted a fee of £80m, approx. I seem to remember Levy stating that the fee wasn't just for the player's ability, but also included a premium, if you will, for the effect that losing such a vital player would have on Spurs.

Taking that into account, and form too, I think Suarez was equal to Bale last season, and his form this season has pushed him ahead of Bale in terms of ability. Look at how Spurs are missing Bale, and if you factor that into how much we would miss Suarez if he were to ever leave, and I think a fee in excess of the £80m paid for Bale is not unrealistic. Maybe somewhere around the £95-100m mark.
Justice for the 96.

Loves a missed penalty!

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #5936 on: December 11, 2013, 05:14:43 pm »
It determines whether the ball has crossed the line by tracking the ball, then when it goes past a certain point, a flag is raised to say it's across the line.

I think where the ball came from is actually of use, as the compression of the ball is taken into account, and I reckon they probably do that by simulation like they do in tennis, though I might be entirely wrong on that.

The processing for shot prediction can all be done after the fact as long as you stored the data, it would have no impact on the goal-line decision part of the system.

Well now I definitely want to know how it works! :)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5937 on: December 11, 2013, 05:16:55 pm »
Nice that the fourth goal against West Ham has been credited to him, as my bet on 2 or more goals is now being paid out.

In terms of valuing Suarez, hopefully it won't come to having to sell him, but you have to factor in the asking price rather than the players value. I think Bale was excellent last season and he attracted a fee of £80m, approx. I seem to remember Levy stating that the fee wasn't just for the player's ability, but also included a premium, if you will, for the effect that losing such a vital player would have on Spurs.

Taking that into account, and form too, I think Suarez was equal to Bale last season, and his form this season has pushed him ahead of Bale in terms of ability. Look at how Spurs are missing Bale, and if you factor that into how much we would miss Suarez if he were to ever leave, and I think a fee in excess of the £80m paid for Bale is not unrealistic. Maybe somewhere around the £95-100m mark.

Would rather not even think about it, but inflation has a role to play here too. Safe to say neither of the "big two" will be moving anywhere next summer, so I think we can say it would take a world record fee and leave it at that.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5938 on: December 11, 2013, 05:27:54 pm »
Well now I definitely want to know how it works! :)
It would be virtually impossible in this situation. The ball travels for about half a second after Suarez kicks it before it is deflected. It would be like trying to track a guided missile when it's been intercepted .5 seconds into it's flight. Very little data to determine a path. And no knowledge of any effect that Suarez has put on the ball. I doubt the FA would be willing to invest the resources in such a case just to verify who scored the goal. That the keeper made a definitive move for Suarez' shot would lead you to believe he thought his shot would be on target. That's probably the best indicator in this situation.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5939 on: December 11, 2013, 05:33:43 pm »
It would be virtually impossible in this situation. The ball travels for about half a second after Suarez kicks it before it is deflected. It would be like trying to track a guided missile when it's been intercepted .5 seconds into it's flight. Very little data to determine a path. And no knowledge of any effect that Suarez has put on the ball. I doubt the FA would be willing to invest the resources in such a case just to verify who scored the goal. That the keeper made a definitive move for Suarez' shot would lead you to believe he thought his shot would be on target. That's probably the best indicator in this situation.

For me, the fact Luis Suarez took a shot from that range is almost enough in itself, he doesn't miss many from there!

See what you're saying though, I guess the DGP tend towards giving the attacking player the benefit of the doubt, keeps everyone happy.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #5940 on: December 11, 2013, 05:36:09 pm »
15 goals in 10 starts is fucking absurd in this league. The rate he's going, he could very well clear 35 league goals and break the 38 game season record in the PL in 30 or less starts !

That though, would mean he's primed to be the next galactico. Nothing less then 80 million if that mob come in for him. Give him a 175k a week contract right now. Right fucking now.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5941 on: December 11, 2013, 05:40:55 pm »
15 goals in 10 starts is fucking absurd in this league. The rate he's going, he could very well clear 35 league goals and break the 38 game season record in the PL in 30 or less starts !

That though, would mean he's primed to be the next galactico. Nothing less then 80 million if that mob come in for him. Give him a 175k a week contract right now. Right fucking now.
Well his current (ridiculous) pace has him netting 49.5 goals (1.5x33 games) if he plays every game.
 ::)

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5942 on: December 11, 2013, 05:42:16 pm »
Well his current (ridiculous) pace has him netting 49.5 goals (1.5x33 games) if he plays every game.
 ::)

I think we now know what the .5 refers to, anyway...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5943 on: December 11, 2013, 05:42:57 pm »
23 games left and all he needs is another 3 or 4 goals to have a very good scoring ratio this season, considering he missed the first part of the season. But can anyone really see Suarez only scoring that amount? He scored that many in one game last week ffs! I wouldnt expect him to keep going the way he has, not because I dont think he can but just thats not a fair expectation. But 23 games left, he's gonna net at least another 15 in there for me.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5944 on: December 11, 2013, 06:00:13 pm »
23 games left and all he needs is another 3 or 4 goals to have a very good scoring ratio this season, considering he missed the first part of the season. But can anyone really see Suarez only scoring that amount? He scored that many in one game last week ffs! I wouldnt expect him to keep going the way he has, not because I dont think he can but just thats not a fair expectation. But 23 games left, he's gonna net at least another 15 in there for me.

We still have to play Norwich again, don't forget, that's another 3 in the bag...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #5945 on: December 11, 2013, 06:05:34 pm »

Spurs spent their Bale money (har har) on players they didn't need though - creative midfielders - when they really needed to spend it on replacing their goalscoring match-winner.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5946 on: December 11, 2013, 06:10:40 pm »
Spurs spent their Bale money (har har) on players they didn't need though - creative midfielders - when they really needed to spend it on replacing their goalscoring match-winner.

They did buy a fancy striker though. Takes a mean penalty, I hear.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5947 on: December 11, 2013, 06:20:54 pm »

I would pay him £200,000 a week on a 4 year contract

That's £9.6 million a year

Build the team around this amazing talent

We must get him to stay!

Sign Costa from Atletico and go forward.

Selling him and we will be moving backwards.

Bale, Suarez and Ronaldo would be the best front three in the world

If they want him, I would ask for no less than £100 million

He will have a great season with us then a great World Cup knocking England out!

Who has that Cash? I don't think even Real would meet the asking price.
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5948 on: December 11, 2013, 06:29:23 pm »

It's bizarre that all the world class players we have been linked with have flopped or are hardly setting the world alight except two:

Costa Atletico Madrid 15 goals in 15 games. If we had got him for £20m that would have been theft

Mkhitaryan Dortmund 3 goals looks very good

Flops

Erik Lamela £30m

Christian Eriksen looked good but now injured

Bernard

Willian

Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Andrew Beasley (BassTunedToRed)
« Reply #5949 on: December 11, 2013, 06:40:17 pm »
Based on his shooting stats so far this season, Suarez will finish the campaign with 50 league goals.

I'd expect a slight dip, as we have a lot of tough games still to play, but the PL record of 31 in a 38 game season must be a reasonable target for starters.

I've set this page up to monitor his progress if anyone's interested (http://basstunedtored.com/how-many-league-goals-can-suarez-score-in-201314/). It'll be fascinating to see how he gets on.

Offline AirConGipsyRed

• The Floater in Camerons Toilet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5950 on: December 11, 2013, 06:47:13 pm »
He's taken 2 i think

He missed both

Can't we just ask to have a free kick outside the box instead? He can score from there ;D
The wheels on my house go round and round, round and round..........

"I don't care about pollution, I'm an Air-Conditioned Gipsy, That's my solution, Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile"

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #5951 on: December 11, 2013, 07:46:09 pm »
We still have to play Norwich again, don't forget, that's another 3 4 in the bag...

Changed it for you.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5952 on: December 11, 2013, 08:08:57 pm »

I wouldn't be so sure. I read earlier that for LBW decisions, Hawk-Eye needs at least 3 frames worth of information (at 60fps) after the ball has bounced; so about 0.05 seconds.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:13:17 pm by emitime »

Offline SMacDougall

• Kopite
« Reply #5953 on: December 11, 2013, 08:33:53 pm »
Is it just me, or has Suarez completely eliminated the "dirty/cheat" side of his game? He used to be constantly under fire for his little dives, his stamps, his handballs, etc, but this season, there's been absolutely nothing. In fact, he seems more like a "nice guy" on the pitch, joking about with the opposition.

I feel this has swayed the public opinion of him, and is why everyone, including Man United fans, seem to be lauding him at the moment (and because of his goals, ofc).

I wonder what the reason behind his sudden change is? Is he trying to make it easier for potential bidders to consider buying him now that he doesn't come with the baggage? Or has Rodgers/LFC simply told him to pack it in and focus on just the football.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5954 on: December 11, 2013, 08:41:22 pm »
It's bizarre that all the world class players we have been linked with have flopped or are hardly setting the world alight except two:

Costa Atlético Madrid 15 goals in 15 games. If we had got him for £20m that would have been theft

Mkhitaryan Dortmund 3 goals looks very good

Flops

Erik Lamela £30m

Christian Eriksen looked good but now injured

Bernard

Willian

Mkihtaryan hasn't set the world on fire tbf, he's done okay though. Bernard was one for the future too, at his age and coming to Europe with so little playing experience, this season should be chalked off as part of a learning process imo

Can we get Jarvis credited with Skrtel's own goal since the dubious goals panel are feeling so charitable :P

@above, he's behaved pretty much imamculately, still a long way to go before he shakes the aura of everyone feeling like he's a second away from losing his mind and doing something stupid

If ever there's been a player worth unbalancing the wage bill for, it's Suarez
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:43:50 pm by rowan_d »

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5955 on: December 11, 2013, 09:03:43 pm »
I wouldn't be so sure. I read earlier that for LBW decisions, Hawk-Eye needs at least 3 frames worth of information (at 60fps) after the ball has bounced; so about 0.05 seconds.
If you could determine trajectory with 3 frames, then why haven't they solved the Kennedy assassination conspiracy? In tennis, the ball is usually travelling around 100ft. Suarez shot was deflected within 10-15ft. I don't know shit about LBW.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:05:44 pm by juan1001 »

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5956 on: December 11, 2013, 09:57:50 pm »
If you could determine trajectory with 3 frames, then why haven't they solved the Kennedy assassination conspiracy? In tennis, the ball is usually travelling around 100ft. Suarez shot was deflected within 10-15ft. I don't know shit about LBW.

I don't think they had 7 high speed Hawk-Eye cameras set up around Kennedy's car unfortunately.

LBW is "leg before wicket" in cricket. In 3 frames the ball probably might have travelled 5ft. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYQA4mmdxhE

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5957 on: December 11, 2013, 10:15:16 pm »
I don't think they had 7 high speed Hawk-Eye cameras set up around Kennedy's car unfortunately.

LBW is "leg before wicket" in cricket. In 3 frames the ball probably might have travelled 5ft. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYQA4mmdxhE
I find it extremely hard to believe that in .05s they can determine the effect a player has put on the ball. The ball hasn't even left his foot in that time. If we take Suarez' first goal vs Norwich, for example. Any .05s in the trajectory of that ball doesn't mean anything.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5958 on: December 11, 2013, 10:15:22 pm »
Suarez has been awarded the 4th goal against West Ham.

Takes him to 15 for the season.

52.82 mins per goal or assist.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5959 on: December 11, 2013, 10:21:06 pm »
He scored as many as Spurs, even if counting O'Shea's o.g.

I predicted they'd. Redit Suarez for the goal. ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."