Author Topic: A reminder of Greatness - Pele  (Read 16550 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: A reminder of Greatness - Pele
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2022, 12:12:33 am »
RIP to an immortal. Whenever the game is football is being discussed, someone will talk about Pele. He is to football what the Beatles are to music.

It's astonishing how quickly it all happened. In the 1958 World Cup, the didn't start the first two group games. Two weeks later he had scored 6 goals, including a hat-trick in the semis and a brace in the final including an astonishing goal, and everyone realized that not only was he the best player in the world, but might well be the greatest player to ever play the game. And he was still just 17.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2022, 12:33:06 am »
The greatest, most iconic player in the history of the game.

RIP Pele.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2022, 12:38:35 am »
Sad news, his health had been in rapid decline recently too so, it was his time to go.

Alas many of the youth of today only see Ronaldo or Messi as the GOAT. He was the original!

RIP Pele. You will be missed

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2022, 12:50:11 am »
Cruyff may have had a turn named after him, but the Brazilian toe poke finish on goal we first truly witnessed from Pele from memory, later generations would remember Romario and Brazilian Ronaldo using this technique in the box, Pele was brilliant at hitting it early in this fashion, my Father of 80 says he was the Greatest that ever played, and that's good enough for me 👍
according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2022, 12:52:52 am »
RIP Pele.

I had the pleasure of seeing him play live during the World Cups. A legend of his time.
#JFT97

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2022, 01:02:12 am »
RIP, Pele.

I can still remember my best friend Dave, who lived next door, telling me during the WC '70 what Pele's full name was. I thought 'Pele' was his full name - it never occurred to me that he ought to have at least one more name, let alone several more!

Story about the name: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL8K0ykP2pY

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2022, 01:03:37 am »
"When I saw Pele play, it made me feel I should hang up my boots." - Just Fontaine

"The greatest player in history was Di Stefano. I refuse to classify Pele as a player. He was above that." - Ferenc Puskas

"Pele is the greatest player of all time. He reigned supreme for 20 years. All the others – Diego Maradona, Johan Cruyff, Michel Platini – rank beneath him. There’s no one to compare with Pele." - Franz Beckenbauer

"In some countries they wanted to touch him, in some they wanted to kiss him. In others they even kissed the ground he walked on. I thought it was beautiful, just beautiful." - Clodoaldo

"His great secret was improvisation. Those things he did were in one moment. He had an extraordinary perception of the game." - Carlos Alberto

"Pele was the only footballer who surpassed the boundaries of logic." - Johan Cruyff

"An artist, in my eyes, is someone who can lighten up a dark room. I have never and will never find the difference between the pass from Pele to Carlos Alberto in the final of the World Cup in 1970 and the poetry of the young Rimbaud. There is in each of these human manifestations an expression of beauty which touches us and gives us a feeling of eternity." - Eric Cantona

"Muhammad Ali was waving to the crowd, blowing kisses, doing the Muhammad Ali thing. As soon as he walked into the locker room and saw Pele…he was like a star-struck child." - Shep Messing

"There’s Pele the man, and then Pele the player. And to play like Pele is to play like God." - Eusebio

"I’m a Pele fan from way back when I was a kid, and then there was always this thing later about Pele and Maradona. I was young and impressionable as a kid but it was always Pele for me." - Mr. Ferguson

"Malcolm Allison: “How do you spell Pele?” Pat Crerand: “Easy: G-O-D.”" - British commentary team at Mexico 1970

"Pele was the most complete player." - Bobby Moore

"I sometimes feel as though football was invented for this magical player." - Bobby Charlton

"Pele played football for 22 years, and in that time he did more to promote world friendship and fraternity than any other ambassador anywhere." - J.B. Pinheiro

"My name is Ronald Reagan, I’m the President of the United States of America. But you don’t need to introduce yourself, because everyone knows who Pele is." - Ronald Reagan

"Pele was one of the few who contradicted my theory: instead of 15 minutes of fame, he will have 15 centuries." - Andy Warhol

"The difficulty, the extraordinary, is not to score 1,000 goals like Pele – it’s to score one goal like Pele." - Carlos Drummond de Andrade

"To watch him play was to watch the delight of a child combined with the extraordinary grace of a man in full." - Nelson Mandela

"The moment the ball arrived at Pele's feet, football transformed into poetry."- Pier Paolo Pasolini

"Absolutely everybody wanted to shake his hand, to get a photo with him. Saying you had partied with Pele was the biggest badge of honour going." - Mick Jagger

"I can be a new Di Stefano, but I can't be a new Pelé. He is the only one who goes beyond the limits of logic." - Johan Cruyff

"Pelé was the most complete player I've ever seen, he had everything. Two good feet. Magic in the air. Fast. Powerful. He could beat people with skill. He could outrun people. He was only 5ft 7in, yet he looked like a giant athlete on the field. Perfect balance and impossible vision. He was the biggest because he could do anything and everything on a football field. I remember Saldhana, the manager, being asked by a Brazilian journalist who was the best goalkeeper in his squad. He said Pele. In his opinion, the man could play any position. Sometimes I feel like football was invented for this magical player." - Bobby Moore

"There's Pelé, the man, and then Pelé, the player. And to play like Pelé is to play like God." - Michel Platini

"It's ugly to compare, but the greatest was Pelé. If we believe that God made man, God made Pelé perfect. Gave it all to him. Nothing was missing, heading, physical strength, dribbling, finishing, inspiration, genius, temperament, vision, goal. All." - Cesar Luis Menotti

"Pelé had the skin of a player, head, rhythm, everything. It was a panther dressed in white, I played with him. He came in to play at the last minute and managed to turn the game around. And the big difference is that Pelé created fear on the field, Maradona didn't... For me it's Pelé, Alfredo Di Stefano and Maradona, in that order. Thanks to Diego, he's a great player. But Pelé was from another planet." - Hugo Gatti

"I said to myself before the game, 'he's made of skin and bones like everyone else'. But I was wrong." - Tarcisio Burgnich

"Pelé was the greatest - just perfect. And off the field he was always smiling and excited. You never see him moody. He loves being Pele." - Tostão

"I arrived with the hope of stopping a great man, but I left convinced that we just had been destroyed by someone who was not born on the same planet as the rest of us." - Costas Pereira

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2022, 03:05:51 am »
Best ever. On and off the pitch.

How good was he? Brilliant tweet/thread (had never seen most of this footage) Fuckin 'ell, he was better than I thought he was https://twitter.com/avisualgame/status/1608551387176259585?s=20&t=hcqzgb-srUqcnCSDsgclgg

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2022, 03:32:16 am »
RIP to the pioneer of todays world class elite
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline LiverBirdKop

• Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2022, 03:37:15 am »
Also odd how Santos were effectively able to become a Globetrotters-esque exhibition side for the bulk of Pele's career. Obviously there were other factors that prevented it, but it's a shame he was never able to take that opportunity to play in Europe; both Juventus and Real Madrid wanted him. Maybe then he'd be given more time in a 'greatest' conversation.
He never played in Europe because Brazil's government declared him a National Treasure which meant he legally was not allowed to play for a club outside of Brazil. More interestingly, to me, the Brazilian league was also as strong as any european league. Brazil's teams won those world cups with every player playing in the Brazilian league. Santos beat all of the greatest European teams of the time as well. And they were friendlies in name only. Everybody wanted to beat the Santos of Pele.
Santos won 2 libertadores and 2 intercontinental cups beating the best team in Europe at the time. He would've dominated Europe easily.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2022, 03:39:47 am »
All this whilst getting booted up in the air and on pitches that were far inferior to today's billiard table-like surfaces. A peak time Pele could have played in any era and still would have shone, and that includes now.
No doubt. With today's equipment and training he would've dominated today just the same. His skillset is unmatched.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2022, 04:09:04 am »
https://twitter.com/AlbertVartanian/status/1605685924410445824?t=qwsIeIfv-QUqRbjsTZltYA&s=19

I dont think i Seen this posted, nice segment btw Maradona and Pele

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2022, 04:37:09 am »
RIP Pele
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2022, 09:08:57 am »
"When I saw Pele play, it made me feel I should hang up my boots." - Just Fontaine

"The greatest player in history was Di Stefano. I refuse to classify Pele as a player. He was above that." - Ferenc Puskas

"Pele is the greatest player of all time. He reigned supreme for 20 years. All the others – Diego Maradona, Johan Cruyff, Michel Platini – rank beneath him. There’s no one to compare with Pele." - Franz Beckenbauer

"In some countries they wanted to touch him, in some they wanted to kiss him. In others they even kissed the ground he walked on. I thought it was beautiful, just beautiful." - Clodoaldo

"His great secret was improvisation. Those things he did were in one moment. He had an extraordinary perception of the game." - Carlos Alberto

"Pele was the only footballer who surpassed the boundaries of logic." - Johan Cruyff

"An artist, in my eyes, is someone who can lighten up a dark room. I have never and will never find the difference between the pass from Pele to Carlos Alberto in the final of the World Cup in 1970 and the poetry of the young Rimbaud. There is in each of these human manifestations an expression of beauty which touches us and gives us a feeling of eternity." - Eric Cantona

"Muhammad Ali was waving to the crowd, blowing kisses, doing the Muhammad Ali thing. As soon as he walked into the locker room and saw Pele…he was like a star-struck child." - Shep Messing

"There’s Pele the man, and then Pele the player. And to play like Pele is to play like God." - Eusebio

"I’m a Pele fan from way back when I was a kid, and then there was always this thing later about Pele and Maradona. I was young and impressionable as a kid but it was always Pele for me." - Mr. Ferguson

"Malcolm Allison: “How do you spell Pele?” Pat Crerand: “Easy: G-O-D.”" - British commentary team at Mexico 1970

"Pele was the most complete player." - Bobby Moore

"I sometimes feel as though football was invented for this magical player." - Bobby Charlton

"Pele played football for 22 years, and in that time he did more to promote world friendship and fraternity than any other ambassador anywhere." - J.B. Pinheiro

"My name is Ronald Reagan, I’m the President of the United States of America. But you don’t need to introduce yourself, because everyone knows who Pele is." - Ronald Reagan

"Pele was one of the few who contradicted my theory: instead of 15 minutes of fame, he will have 15 centuries." - Andy Warhol

"The difficulty, the extraordinary, is not to score 1,000 goals like Pele – it’s to score one goal like Pele." - Carlos Drummond de Andrade

"To watch him play was to watch the delight of a child combined with the extraordinary grace of a man in full." - Nelson Mandela

"The moment the ball arrived at Pele's feet, football transformed into poetry."- Pier Paolo Pasolini

"Absolutely everybody wanted to shake his hand, to get a photo with him. Saying you had partied with Pele was the biggest badge of honour going." - Mick Jagger

"I can be a new Di Stefano, but I can't be a new Pelé. He is the only one who goes beyond the limits of logic." - Johan Cruyff

"Pelé was the most complete player I've ever seen, he had everything. Two good feet. Magic in the air. Fast. Powerful. He could beat people with skill. He could outrun people. He was only 5ft 7in, yet he looked like a giant athlete on the field. Perfect balance and impossible vision. He was the biggest because he could do anything and everything on a football field. I remember Saldhana, the manager, being asked by a Brazilian journalist who was the best goalkeeper in his squad. He said Pele. In his opinion, the man could play any position. Sometimes I feel like football was invented for this magical player." - Bobby Moore

"There's Pelé, the man, and then Pelé, the player. And to play like Pelé is to play like God." - Michel Platini

"It's ugly to compare, but the greatest was Pelé. If we believe that God made man, God made Pelé perfect. Gave it all to him. Nothing was missing, heading, physical strength, dribbling, finishing, inspiration, genius, temperament, vision, goal. All." - Cesar Luis Menotti

"Pelé had the skin of a player, head, rhythm, everything. It was a panther dressed in white, I played with him. He came in to play at the last minute and managed to turn the game around. And the big difference is that Pelé created fear on the field, Maradona didn't... For me it's Pelé, Alfredo Di Stefano and Maradona, in that order. Thanks to Diego, he's a great player. But Pelé was from another planet." - Hugo Gatti

"I said to myself before the game, 'he's made of skin and bones like everyone else'. But I was wrong." - Tarcisio Burgnich

"Pelé was the greatest - just perfect. And off the field he was always smiling and excited. You never see him moody. He loves being Pele." - Tostão

"I arrived with the hope of stopping a great man, but I left convinced that we just had been destroyed by someone who was not born on the same planet as the rest of us." - Costas Pereira

These are great quotes that speak so highly of his abilities as a footballer even before his status as a human being who transcended the sport. What a man. RIP Pelé!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2022, 09:59:35 am »
RIP

what we don't have is lots of video footage of his goals and his skills - such a shame that

you cannot compare players from different generations as coaching, fitness regimes, tactics, diet, pitch quality, ball quality etc etc would all have to come into play - so to be thought of so highly by everyone around him proves that he was more than just a footballer

but we can say is that he was a class act
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2022, 10:09:35 am »
RIP

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2022, 10:15:20 am »
"When I saw Pele play, it made me feel I should hang up my boots." - Just Fontaine

"The greatest player in history was Di Stefano. I refuse to classify Pele as a player. He was above that." - Ferenc Puskas

"Pele is the greatest player of all time. He reigned supreme for 20 years. All the others – Diego Maradona, Johan Cruyff, Michel Platini – rank beneath him. There’s no one to compare with Pele." - Franz Beckenbauer

"In some countries they wanted to touch him, in some they wanted to kiss him. In others they even kissed the ground he walked on. I thought it was beautiful, just beautiful." - Clodoaldo

"His great secret was improvisation. Those things he did were in one moment. He had an extraordinary perception of the game." - Carlos Alberto

"Pele was the only footballer who surpassed the boundaries of logic." - Johan Cruyff

"An artist, in my eyes, is someone who can lighten up a dark room. I have never and will never find the difference between the pass from Pele to Carlos Alberto in the final of the World Cup in 1970 and the poetry of the young Rimbaud. There is in each of these human manifestations an expression of beauty which touches us and gives us a feeling of eternity." - Eric Cantona

"Muhammad Ali was waving to the crowd, blowing kisses, doing the Muhammad Ali thing. As soon as he walked into the locker room and saw Pele…he was like a star-struck child." - Shep Messing

"There’s Pele the man, and then Pele the player. And to play like Pele is to play like God." - Eusebio

"I’m a Pele fan from way back when I was a kid, and then there was always this thing later about Pele and Maradona. I was young and impressionable as a kid but it was always Pele for me." - Mr. Ferguson

"Malcolm Allison: “How do you spell Pele?” Pat Crerand: “Easy: G-O-D.”" - British commentary team at Mexico 1970

"Pele was the most complete player." - Bobby Moore

"I sometimes feel as though football was invented for this magical player." - Bobby Charlton

"Pele played football for 22 years, and in that time he did more to promote world friendship and fraternity than any other ambassador anywhere." - J.B. Pinheiro

"My name is Ronald Reagan, I’m the President of the United States of America. But you don’t need to introduce yourself, because everyone knows who Pele is." - Ronald Reagan

"Pele was one of the few who contradicted my theory: instead of 15 minutes of fame, he will have 15 centuries." - Andy Warhol

"The difficulty, the extraordinary, is not to score 1,000 goals like Pele – it’s to score one goal like Pele." - Carlos Drummond de Andrade

"To watch him play was to watch the delight of a child combined with the extraordinary grace of a man in full." - Nelson Mandela

"The moment the ball arrived at Pele's feet, football transformed into poetry."- Pier Paolo Pasolini

"Absolutely everybody wanted to shake his hand, to get a photo with him. Saying you had partied with Pele was the biggest badge of honour going." - Mick Jagger

Wow. When you read quotes from some of the true greats of the game, you really get to appreciate just what a special player and indeed person he was. Ali will be remembered as a sporting icon who transcended boxing and Pele will be remembered the same way as a man who transcended football.
RIP great man

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2022, 11:33:25 am »
Nice tribute by Sky Sports on him today.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #178 on: December 30, 2022, 12:03:57 pm »
God bless you Pele, RIP - the greatest football player that ever lived.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2022, 12:18:07 pm »
If you had to choose one word to sum up what he gave the game, I would say 'beauty'. He executed everything he did with effortless grace. when he famously chipped the keeper from his own half he didn't look like Pickford taking a goalkick, it was an effortless lob!
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2022, 12:28:54 pm »
It seems to have been an awful depressing year and this just puts the tin hat on it.

'Effortless grace' - lovely expression Doc. It was exactly that, in an era when the ball weighed the same as a sack of spuds and the opposition could kick you 'up a height' with seeming impunity (see 66 WC)

Sad, sad loss to the game we all love. RIP Pele. The best there was and the best there'll ever be.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2022, 12:29:24 pm »
He never played in Europe because Brazil's government declared him a National Treasure which meant he legally was not allowed to play for a club outside of Brazil. More interestingly, to me, the Brazilian league was also as strong as any european league. Brazil's teams won those world cups with every player playing in the Brazilian league. Santos beat all of the greatest European teams of the time as well. And they were friendlies in name only. Everybody wanted to beat the Santos of Pele.
Santos won 2 libertadores and 2 intercontinental cups beating the best team in Europe at the time. He would've dominated Europe easily.
This link outlines the performance of Santos against European sides; as you can see they more than held their own and Pele scored plenty. It is ludicrous to say he wouldn't have dominated any European league because clearly he would have. https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/pele-s-santos-vs-european-clubs-statistical-overview.157423/

RIP to a legend and an icon.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2022, 12:29:55 pm »
those stats are astonishing

bloody hell he is good. ahead of the game and just gifted technically and physically.

rip legend.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2022, 12:33:06 pm »
Some players transcend their sports (Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, Muhammad Ali, Ayrton Senna) and Pele was the best of all of them. No one seemed to have a bad word for him and that is truly amazing.

RIP Pele - the Greatest

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2022, 12:37:06 pm »
RIP Pele.

A few tears in my eyes reading the news this morning. Reminded me of my old man passing away and all the stories he used to tell me about watching Pele. In his eyes of the greatest ever. He was spoilt for football growing up. Stood with his grandfather on the kop watching the likes of Liddell, Keegan, Best. Saw Shanks' first match in charge. Watched the Mighty Magyars almost conquer the world and got to see the likes of Di Stefano, Garrincha, and Yashin on the box. But above all these there was no player he gave greater cause to being the greatest ever than Pele.

He once described him to me as a player who could do anything. He was the best dribbler of the ball, the best header, the hardest shot, the fastest runner, the best first touch etc. He wasn't just a brilliantly talented and skilled player, he was like a machine. Physically and mentally he was unshakeable. Watching him play, you always felt that he could kick up a gear if he ever needed to. He was simply above everyone else who played on the field with him.

In 1961, he was at the Parc de Princes in Paris for a tournament friendly between Benfica and Santos. Benfica were the current European Champions. Santos completely blew them off the park. At half-time they were 4-0 up, then 5-0 within a few minutes of the second half. 21 year old Pele running the show. Benfica had their own secret weapon though. A 19 year old by the name of Eusebio coming off the bench in one of his first senior matches for the club. Within 5 minutes he'd scored his first, roll on another 5 and he had another, 10 minutes later and he'd turned the game upside down with a hat-trick to make it 5-3. Santos couldn't believe their eyes. Pele was furious and he promptly went straight up the other end of the field, beating several players along the way and scored another to make it 6-3. Eusebio had announced himself to the world. Pele had made certain he was not going to overshadowed.

This is the goal as described by him to me many years ago - "He picked up the ball in the air, controlled it on his chest, leant back, rolled it onto his knee, all the while running up the field, took it over to the other knee. And at this point, no-one could touch him - the ball wasn't even on the ground. He moved into the area, swerved the centre-back, dropped the ball onto his left foot, hooked it up in the air and then volleyed it into the top with his right foot." (I tried to look up the match and I have a feeling he mixed up this goal with another one from 1962, but I still wanted to share his words)

A once in a lifetime player. Thank you for blessing football with your talent.

Here's the video someone posted above from Twitter with some rare footgae of him, much of it I've not seen:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xnZqHBaNCu8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xnZqHBaNCu8</a>
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2022, 01:02:26 pm »
Best ever. On and off the pitch.

How good was he? Brilliant tweet/thread (had never seen most of this footage) Fuckin 'ell, he was better than I thought he was

https://twitter.com/avisualgame/status/1608551387176259585?s=20&t=hcqzgb-srUqcnCSDsgclgg

Cracking thread - well worth a read of anyone's time, that.  :thumbup

(+ 4pool will love it)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2022, 04:16:19 pm »
RIP to an immortal. Whenever the game is football is being discussed, someone will talk about Pele. He is to football what the Beatles are to music.
100%
There will never be another Pele, there will never be another Beatles.
What a player he was, the best. R.I.P

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2022, 04:24:42 pm »
3 days of national mourning declared in Brazil.

All games this weekend throughout the world will give a minutes applause or silence.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2022, 04:27:26 pm »
RIP

Just heard his coffin will be held at Santos' stadium before the funeral, and on a side not I never realised how small their ground was.

Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2022, 04:34:22 pm »
RIP Pele.

I had the pleasure of seeing him play live during the World Cups. A legend of his time.

Wow. Lucky man you.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2022, 04:50:36 pm »
RIP

Just heard his coffin will be held at Santos' stadium before the funeral, and on a side not I never realised how small their ground was.

It was only a small town - probably massive now, but not then.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2022, 05:11:20 pm »

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2022, 06:42:20 pm »

Cracking thread - well worth a read of anyone's time, that.  :thumbup

(+ 4pool will love it)

He did... ;D

Another thing missed out was the sheer amount of fouls he received, in the ‘59 Copa America he was fouled 16 (yes, sixteen) times per match, Maradona ‘86 was fouled 7 times per match, Messi ‘22 3 times per match.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: December 30, 2022, 07:07:38 pm »
He did... ;D

Another thing missed out was the sheer amount of fouls he received, in the ‘59 Copa America he was fouled 16 (yes, sixteen) times per match, Maradona ‘86 was fouled 7 times per match, Messi ‘22 3 times per match.
He was booted out of the 66 World Cup.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #194 on: December 30, 2022, 07:14:02 pm »
He did... ;D

Glad you did mate ;D

Not likely little or 'soft' fouls either - from the videos on the 1st page of this thread...

'NA ÉPOCA DO PELÉ ERA MAIS FÁCIL' ('It was easier in the time of Pele?' No...):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a_O6P5XYF3c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a_O6P5XYF3c</a>

^ always worth remembering that red cards were introduced to the 1970 World Cup on the back of Pele being kicked & injured throughout the 1966 World Cup.

'Fouls vs Pelé':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vpqYNLm0c90" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vpqYNLm0c90</a>

^ and also this 1 minute video from FIFA highlighting some of the fouls on Pele at World Cups: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKtOWIOJIQs

'Pelé - The most violently fouled player in football history':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u8GdiMW4BL8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u8GdiMW4BL8</a>

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 07:15:37 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #195 on: December 31, 2022, 03:11:39 pm »

'"He is the man who built the World Cup" - Tim Vickery on how Pele will be remembered' - from Sky:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vi9pm25ei6E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vi9pm25ei6E</a>

'Tim Vickery’s tribute to Pele - the king of the global game' - from OTB:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tfHJUKni1Qw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tfHJUKni1Qw</a>

Could listen to Tm Vickery talk footy all day, and this is no different. Quality, informative and insightful - all done with ease and respect. https://twitter.com/Tim_Vickery

« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 03:27:25 pm by oojason »

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #196 on: January 1, 2023, 09:56:36 am »
Excellent tribute thread to Pele who was and is the greatest for me.

Spent the past 15 years or more trying to extol his great play to those who champion Messi & Ronaldo.

He was booted out of the 66 World Cup.

Oojason;
^ always worth remembering that red cards were introduced to the 1970 World Cup on the back of Pele being kicked & injured throughout the 1966 World Cup.

Never put those two facts together but it certainly makes sense.

I went to the Brazil games v Hungary and Portugal and he took some terrible tackles in the latter. Clip of him being lifted off the pitch reminded me that he was never allowed to show his skills. No protection at all from George McCabe the English referee.

If the World Cup was to showcase the best players there had to be a deterrent to hacking down a forward with everything to be gained and no fear of being sent off.

Marvellous tribute by Tim Vickery who is a great journalist. Well worth anyones time to watch the two vids. He mentioned that Pelé hardly played a part in the ‘62 WC win in Chile (he was injured in the 2nd group game) and actually stopped playing for his country for two years after his ‘66 experience. All new info to me and it explains how he wanted to win with style in Mexico in 1970.

The red card rule certainly gave the tournament some wonderful matches where the top players skills were allowed to flourish. Surely Pele’s finest hour. 
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 1, 2023, 09:28:27 pm »
Have a look at this short video.
He was way, way ahead of his time from the 58 World cup, right through the 60's and 70's.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3ch4d2PTkKg&amp;t=1s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3ch4d2PTkKg&amp;t=1s</a>

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 2, 2023, 10:24:12 am »
I watched the Pele Netflix documentary over the weekend. For a 'younger' poster such as myself, who grew up with late 90s early 00s football being my introduction to the game, I haven't perhaps always given the great man the respect his ability deserved.

I can see now why he has been labelled as the greatest.

What stood out to me, again upon narrow viewing - is that he was the archetype of the modern footballer and really the first to look like this and play the game the way he did. Pace, power, acceleration, close control, body swerves that defenders couldn't stay with and outrageous smashed goals. He really to me looked like a bloke from 30 years ahead of his time, plonked on a pitch with 21 others who couldn't even contemplate playing the same game he was. Comparatively, another great from the 50s, Nils Liedholm, was shown in several clips during the 58 World Cup Final. With all due respect to the guy, he very much looked a product of the era; slow, cumbersome, deliberate and telegraphed - yet defenders were lunging in super predictably and making it easy for him with a combination of erratic lunges and backing off way too much. But to compare him to Pele, it was truly like the two were playing a different sport.

Was Pele football's first athlete, in a way? It just gave me a lot more admiration for him. I don't know that he's the greatest (Maradona and Messi are the two rivals for me in this category) but he was definitely a forerunner, an iconoclast and the man that showed the way that all attacking players would have to play in the future in order to be termed greats of the game.

The shots of the team's plane going over Rio in 58 on the way to Stockholm was stunning footage - it's wild to think he joined Santos at 16 and was straight into the first team, in the Brazil squad within a year and winning the World Cup at 17. Also odd how Santos were effectively able to become a Globetrotters-esque exhibition side for the bulk of Pele's career. Obviously there were other factors that prevented it, but it's a shame he was never able to take that opportunity to play in Europe; both Juventus and Real Madrid wanted him. Maybe then he'd be given more time in a 'greatest' conversation.

Barely remember Pele when he was playing in New York so can't really judge on how truly good he was between 58-70 but even in the late 70s every kid around the world wanted to be Pele. To say Pele was playing a different game to everyone else though is a slight on those team mates around him who were amazing players in their own right. Garrincha was one of Brazils best ever players and led Brazil to the 62 win when Pele was injured. Others who may have been alive during these years probably would say that team who retained the WC surely had some amazing talent. The crazy thing the country's federation was trying to play the boring European game in the 50s as they felt the ginga style was holding the country back from a WC win. They apparently were embarrassed enough by the defeat in the WC of 1950, to the point the likes of Pele and Garrincha were been told to keep things simple. None of this flair football. Thank god they couldn't stop the beautiful game from blossoming and Pele became not the GOAT of football but the God.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #199 on: January 3, 2023, 12:59:16 pm »
As the French say Sans pareil (unequalled!)
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994