Author Topic: RAWK preview - Arsenal v Liverpool 30 Jan 19.45  (Read 52508 times)

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
Re: RAWK preview - Arsenal v Liverpool 30 Jan 19.45
« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2013, 11:30:41 am »
Giroud is not bad for any other team, just he doesn't strike me as a typical Arsenal striker. Along with the Spurs strikers he is probably the weakest of the top sides.

That's a bit rough.

QPR and Villa are much worse.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2013, 11:32:46 am »
Giroud is not bad for any other team, just he doesn't strike me as a typical Arsenal striker. Along with the Spurs strikers he is probably the weakest of the top sides.

Maybe but really, their best threats are what's behind him, be it Podolksi, Walcott or Cazorla and all of them are capable of hurting any side. Walcott looks to be in the best form of his career and Podolksi seems to have settled in well. Cazorla is a class player as well (although according to some of the Arsenal fans in the Spiyin Kop, he's gone off the boil in recent weeks). Think the midfield needs to be on it tonight as they'll cause us problems that most others can't, if we aren't.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2013, 11:33:20 am »
That's a bit rough.

QPR and Villa are much worse.

I think he said "of the top sides".
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2013, 11:34:46 am »
I think we also need to be direct tonight, if we can bypass their midfield early I honestly fancy Suarez and Sturridge causing their back four all sorts of problems. I think thats where Arsenal are weakest and are most liable to be hit.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2013, 11:39:52 am »
I think he said "of the top sides".

My mistake.

He did.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2013, 11:49:52 am »
We could hurt Arsenal on the counter-attack tonight, but that means we need to break with pace and not slow the game down when Arsenal commit players forward.

Wilshere and Cazorla will look to get in and around the edge of the Livepool box as often as they can.  Even Diaby will venture forward at times (if we sit off him like we did at Anfield) so the opportunity is there to break up the play and hit them on the break quickly.

However, that comes with it's own problems.  We're not good at defending deep.  We like having the lions share of possession, and playing on the counter attack doesn't really afford that, also Johnson likes to get forward, and won't want to be pushed back too far. 

Either way, I have seen far too much doom and gloom already about this game.  It's a winnable game, and we certainly shouldn't be going there thinking we are going to get turned over just because we had a shit day at Oldham on Sunday.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2013, 11:53:47 am »

He's an outstanding header of the ball and he WILL cause us problems tonight. He's just finding his feet and teams haven't yet cottoned on to this.

I would very much hope that we have a specific plan to stop him.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2013, 11:56:38 am »
Sky Sports news announcing that Reina and Enrique are back in the squad this evening, good news if that's correct.

Hinesy removed my formation because it was close to getting me muted, luckily I'd posted the good news above and if trite, it still saved me :wave
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:40:00 pm by Hinesy »

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2013, 12:02:17 pm »
i still think BR will play Allen and Wisdom  instead of hendo and enrique which quite rightly will leave him open to criticism

What do you mean? If he plays Wisdom it will because Enrique is not fit to start. And between Allen and Hendo it is a tossup, could go for either really and while we think it will hugely influence the outcome, I don't think that the quality level is too different at this stage.

Offline tjtaylor182

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2013, 12:15:39 pm »
What do you mean? If he plays Wisdom it will because Enrique is not fit to start. And between Allen and Hendo it is a tossup, could go for either really and while we think it will hugely influence the outcome, I don't think that the quality level is too different at this stage.
I would definitely rather see Hendo based on recent form. Playing Allen over him in the United game was one of the main reasons for the poor first half there. We need Hendersons pressing. Same team as against Norwich for me.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2013, 12:17:39 pm »
If Enrique fit enough to start it's a massive plus, has show before that he can match Walcott for pace.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2013, 12:21:56 pm »
I just hope some players man up and don't bow to the pressure so we can play our game.

But knowing that, some will go to hiding and others will commit league 2 level mistakes, that will leave few players who rise to the occasion to save the day, and there aren't many of those.
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2013, 12:29:15 pm »
Think Henderson needs to start, Enrique too if he's fit, because he's got the pace to match Walcott, who is the player who worries me most, along with Diaby, who is a beast of a player when fit.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2013, 12:30:01 pm »
I'd be surprised if Enrique starts, given him only just coming back. I suspect that means Johnson left and Wisdom right. Would also think that it will be Agger and Skrtel at the back, can't see Carra against Walcott, maybe against Giroud i suppose? Hope Pepe is back.

I also hope Henderson plays, we need him to press Diaby and help the team press higher up the field in general. With either Allen or Lucas alongside Gerrard to complete the 3. Downing should start to stretch the width on the right, otherwise I think we will end up really narrow. But we should get some joy if Sturridge can isolate Mertersacker, with luis causing havoc all around him.

At least now we have options from the bench - Borini and Sterling in particular.
Just hope we don't start poorly again. Its hard to know what to expect from this Arsenal team as their performances vary wildly, but we need to keep them under pressure and break quickly to get something from the game.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2013, 12:35:13 pm »
This is a must win game, for a multitude of reasons a) We can't loose ground on those above us, b) we need to remove the blip that was Oldham and move forward.

I don't agree with you about Podolski and Giroud - they may of started slowly, but they are now showing a bit of form.. The main issue we will face is the pace of their attack, especially Walcott who has hit a great patch of form - which is lucky for Arsenal as Carzola has gone off the boil a bit.

The key to this is the midfield, Diaby is another player like Diame - strong, atheltic and a physical presence.. Containing him and Wilshere will be paramount to building a platform for victory. I'd like us to be a bit more physical in the opening few minutes (within the letter of the law obviously!) Go clattering into a tackle and show we are here and wont be lying down - Oldham did it on Allen twice and it worked, we need to set a tone early.. Nothing wrong with a bit of hard tackle to start with - remember Carragher doing it to Nani? Worked a treat.

I think the team selection should be straight forward, but I'm sure against better judgement we shall be seeing Carragher over Skrtel - something I am massively against, this isn't a dig at Carragher as he clearly has a role to play in our current set up. I worry that Carragher simply wont be able to handle the likes of Walcott and Podolski and their pace, and if they bring on Ox Chamberlain, Carragher will drop very deep - when this happens we will start to see huge holes in front of the back four and expect the likes of Carzola and Wilshere to exploit this. We need to push forward as a unit and keep our shape or they will catch us on the counter at blistering speed and really punish us.

So Johnson and Enrique on the flanks is essential, but they need to watch being caught up field leaving us exposed on the counter.

I'd go

Reina

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

Gerrard Lucas Henderson

Suarez Sturridge Borini

This midfield 3 has the perfect balance - Lucas (Destroy/pivot) Gerrard (pulling the strings, bursting forward) Henderson (Energy, high pressing, link play)

The attacking 3 also all have pace and will press. I'd expect Lucas to be tasked with man marking Carzola (A lovely strong tackle early should hopefully make him a bit more nervous)

If we press them hard from the off and disrupt their game we should win. On paper I'd say we are very evenly matched, but we have Suarez..

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2013, 12:37:43 pm »
I think if we are to consider ourselves serious contenders for fourth then tonight is a must win. A draw wouldnt be a terrible result in the long term but I think a win is an absolute must for fourth.

Depends how we start the game.

don't know about that mate, there have been many times we've lost at Arsenal, but long time have done better than them, i think a loss wouldn't be as bad as people make out, but obviously a win will really show that the team hopefully is moving in the right steps.
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2013, 12:41:54 pm »
Arsenal are there for the taking, if ever there was a season defining match then this it, win and were in the mix lose and we can kiss 4th goodbye.

I have an Evertonian mate in work who says the same thing about Liverpool after every derby they fail to win. I call him delusional.

Offline Alex7

• Kopite
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2013, 12:47:12 pm »
I have an Evertonian mate in work who says the same thing about Liverpool after every derby they fail to win. I call him delusional.

We beat them last season at the Emirates
The only thing separating us from them, is their win at Anfield earlier in the season. Win this and we draw level on points.

Anyone thinking we cant' win is too pessimistic for my liking.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2013, 12:49:34 pm »
A lot of those players will still be hurting (at least I hope they are). A lot of reputations need re-building. So what a good place to start doing just that.

Leaving the M25 with points is never an easy thing. But it can be done. Its time for the players to prove it

System wise its going to be very important to not over commit. Arsenal may not be the Arsenal of old but they are still built on that quick counter attack. Whoever plays LB and RB needs to make sure that they get back and do their job properly.

Pepe back between the sticks (should have played against Oldham as Brad Jones was injured) will be good to see. Lucas will be well rested and ready to go.

I would like to be optimistic but it obviously depends on which Liverpool players decide to turn up. We'll see in the first 5 mins tonight

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2013, 12:53:15 pm »
Looking forward to this one, although the thought of Walcott up against Carra gives me kittens.

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2013, 01:07:54 pm »
Watch out for late untracked runs into the box from Kieran Gibbs.

Walcott doesn't play as an out and out winger any longer. He's much more tucked in from the right, doesn't really attempt to beat his marker as often. Sagna really controls the right flank.

Wishere has the ability (more than any arsenal player in my opinion) to disrupt our shape. He makes the sort of runs through midfield that commits opposition players, creating space for your Podolskis and Cazorlas.

I think we can win though. Simply because of Luis Suarez.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2013, 01:31:21 pm »
No way Enrique will start this one.  He's just come back from a hamstring injury, you don't put him in against the fastest player in the league for his return. He'll get eaten alive.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2013, 01:54:45 pm »
Still not sure how the hell I'm going to keep my gob shut amongst the home fans tonight as I am absolutely pumped up for this. Can't concentrate at work.

Whoever Brendan puts out had better be ready to rumble from the start - let's sit them on their arses a few times and see how they like it. The head says that we should settle for a draw - the gunners are a strong side. The heart says we can beat them convincingly.

If I was putting the team out it would be something like Reina / Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique / Lucas / Downing, Gerrard, Henderson / Suarridge.

I fancy Hendo to get a goal tonight, don't know why just think he has been busting a gut for weeks for the team and will put in another solid shift.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2013, 02:04:36 pm »
We beat them last season at the Emirates
The only thing separating us from them, is their win at Anfield earlier in the season. Win this and we draw level on points.

Anyone thinking we cant' win is too pessimistic for my liking.

Yes and they inflicted the 0-2 on us at ours earlier this season

The truth is somewhere between, but we have to show more resilience to compete with them.
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline eLToRo

• Legacy Fan
  • Living the dream
« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2013, 02:13:42 pm »

Both players are similar age and quality imo.

But allen is playing bad and Hnderson is playing well.Plus Henderson scored in his  last league game.

We also look a lot bigger and quicker and better at pressing wiht hendo in the team.

Hendo has to start.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2013, 02:14:17 pm »
I think we'll win by four clear goals and go above them  ;)
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #226 on: January 30, 2013, 02:22:42 pm »
Interesting and probably the best 11 on form to start with.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2013, 02:32:53 pm »
Unless Agger has been injured, I see no reason whatsoever to start Carragher over him. None.

The only possibility of Carragher starting is if we play with 3 CBs. Skrtel-Agger as a CB duo is, to me, a no-brainer.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline harrythered

• Kopite
« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2013, 02:40:12 pm »
No way Enrique will start this one.  He's just come back from a hamstring injury, you don't put him in against the fastest player in the league for his return. He'll get eaten alive.
Well, if he is fit and is given the go ahead without any doubt of a tight hamstring, I really don't think he'll get eaten alive. In fact, whenever we play against Arsenal with him in the team, he shuts down Theo Walcott with ease. Would be brilliant to have him back, and I hope he can repeat his usual work tonight.
Also, really would be so disappointed to see Allen back in the side ahead of Henderson. Doesn't deserve it, and I think Hendo has been one of our best players recently
Justice For The 96

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2013, 02:43:44 pm »
Unless Agger has been injured, I see no reason whatsoever to start Carragher over him. None.

The only possibility of Carragher starting is if we play with 3 CBs. Skrtel-Agger as a CB duo is, to me, a no-brainer.

Think Carra may start over Skrtel.

Would probably do the opposite myself but there you go.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2013, 02:49:44 pm »
Pre-match thoughts from Zonal Markings Michael Cox (apologies if repost):

A peculiar feature of Liverpool's difficult away games under Brendan Rodgers is his tendency to completely change his side's formation at half-time: away at Everton, Chelsea and Manchester United he's dramatically altered his side after an underwhelming first-half performance. Now, especially after the weekend embarrassment at Oldham, he's under pressure to get it right from the start.

Following the arrival of Daniel Sturridge, Fabio Borini's return from injury, plus Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson's good form, Rodgers has plenty of experienced players to call upon. As a result, Raheem Sterling
will predominantly be a substitute for the rest of this season, while Suso is no longer a regular, and instead on the periphery of the squad.

Sterling, Borini and Joe Allen were omitted from the side that convincingly defeated Norwich 5-0 at Anfield ten days ago, and none did anything against Oldham to suggest they deserve a place in the side for the trip to Arsenal. Sterling would be a risk defensively, Borini isn't yet 100% fit following his injury lay-off, while Allen has been in poor form.

The natural approach would see Rodgers revert to the side that faced Norwich: Lucas Leiva and Steven Gerrard sitting deep, then Downing, Henderson and Luis Suarez behind Sturridge. But will Rodgers be brave enough
to play that system at the Emirates, considering Arsenal's tendency to dominate possession? I can't help feeling that he'll will want some extra passing quality in the centre of the pitch, and might start Allen: this is surely a game made for him, despite his recent form.

That would probably mean Henderson dropping to the bench, with Downing on the left and Suarez cutting inside to join Sturridge. With so many versatile options, Rodgers' tinkering is understandable, but he needs to get things right at Arsenal.

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/news/29-01-2013/rodgers-must-get-tinkering-right-for-arsenal/814321#ixzz2JTDxyxMt

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2013, 02:53:40 pm »
would be disappointed if we lose today....especially with city coming up on the weekend.

Am quietly confident in seeing a reaction from us tonight after the FA cup non-performance..i would hope that its Agger-Skrtel starting defence? carragher would be done for pace all day against the likes of these...its their main strength.

This Arsenal team is not scary....if we keep Walcott and Cazorla quiet we have a good chance of getting something here. As long as we dont try and be too clever unnecessarily in our build-up play, which ive seen signs of recently....we can hurt them if we attack quickly and efficiently.

2-1 redmen
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2013, 02:55:40 pm »
Beers in for tonight don't let me down LFC, nowt worse than waking up hung over and pissed off on a school day .
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline DerKaiser

• It's German for "TheCheesyRanter". Likes young boys.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2013, 03:01:04 pm »
Why split up Agger-Skrtel?

Offline benjamin

• Boys Pen
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2013, 03:06:28 pm »
Hello everybody I am new to this forum. I just wanted to say although Skrtel has been off form lately I really think he should play ahead of Carra, Arsenals pace and control in possession would be too much to handle for his weary legs. If we really wanted we could risk it and play Wisdom at CB with Johno and Enrique back.

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2013, 03:07:37 pm »
So the Carragher bashing boring nobheads could be out in force tonight then :D
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline krispy.red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #236 on: January 30, 2013, 03:12:24 pm »
Think Wisdom and Johnson will start. Maybe bring Enrique on later, he could be a defensive or offensive substitute.   :lickin

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #237 on: January 30, 2013, 03:13:35 pm »
Why split up Agger-Skrtel?

Skrtel is the worst player ever who played for LFC don't you know :D
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline benjamin

• Boys Pen
« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2013, 03:14:35 pm »
Does anybody think Wisdom should be given a go at CB?

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »
Does anybody think Wisdom should be given a go at CB?

No mate, he would only be used as cover if we suffered injuries during the match.