Author Topic: Areas to live LIVERPOOL  (Read 13373 times)

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
Areas to live LIVERPOOL
« on: January 3, 2013, 08:54:38 pm »
I have been looking around Childwall, Aigburth, Woolton triangle, the queens drive side of wavertree zone particularly around childwall valley road/woolton road aroud byu abbey shops etc and hope uni.

We really like the area etc although it can be pricey in parts - Anyone have any views on living around these parts or indeed if there are similar types of established areas that may be considered?

Need to consider schools now as started a family......

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Areas to live LIVERPOOL
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2013, 03:46:21 pm »
all the areas youve just mentioned are nice mate.I lived in Aigburth now live in Allerton and am moving back to Aigburth in March.Lovely areas, town a quick bus ride away and plenty of nice parks and bars/restaurants etc on your doorstep.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2013, 04:38:31 pm »
I have been looking around Childwall, Aigburth, Woolton triangle, the queens drive side of wavertree zone particularly around childwall valley road/woolton road aroud byu abbey shops etc and hope uni.

We really like the area etc although it can be pricey in parts - Anyone have any views on living around these parts or indeed if there are similar types of established areas that may be considered?

Need to consider schools now as started a family......
Tocky.
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2013, 04:55:09 pm »
Allerton Rd is the place to be in my opinion.

Live off Penny Lane at the moment but if i was to move anywhere it'd probably just slightly further away from town towards Rose Lane but still near Allerton Road.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2013, 05:43:17 pm »
Tocky.

I've lived in Toxteth for 6/7 years and it's always been OK for me. Close to town if you're in the right bit, and cheap.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2013, 10:33:00 pm »
I only ever drove from St Helens to speke via Huyton/Gateacre/woolton/hunts cross/ but never ever ventured off the main route except once or twice. ~Having had a look around there seems to be a decent lifestyle to be had in the areas mentioned but the schools need to be decent too.

snag is for our money we can get bigger house elsewhere so I need to know the location is worth it. the easy access to the 62 is a must as we both work in manchester alot. Aigburth might be a touch too far south unless it was really close to queens drive

so no other shouts for anywhere else around the city

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2013, 11:16:42 pm »
...so no other shouts for anywhere else around the city
I really reckon you're already on to the best bits. But being s south ender I'm slightly bias ;)

Other specific places to look would be around Menlove, Mather, Booker Avenues, Rose Lane, the Dales (around Dovedale) are nice too mate and anywhere around Calderstones.

I grew up in L8 and can testify to some lovely places around Ullet Road and off Lodge Lane, specifically Grove Park.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2013, 11:29:58 pm »
I only ever drove from St Helens to speke via Huyton/Gateacre/woolton/hunts cross/ but never ever ventured off the main route except once or twice. ~Having had a look around there seems to be a decent lifestyle to be had in the areas mentioned but the schools need to be decent too.

snag is for our money we can get bigger house elsewhere so I need to know the location is worth it. the easy access to the 62 is a must as we both work in manchester alot. Aigburth might be a touch too far south unless it was really close to queens drive

so no other shouts for anywhere else around the city

Think all the threads here have come to the conclusion that the southend is just nicer. ;)

Queens drive goes right down to the bottom of Sefton Park, if you live anywhere near Aigburth Vale you'd get there within seconds. Lark Lane area too, though the houses round there don't look like they're in anyone's price range.

For schools, probably better to look at the council website - there's a bit where you put a postcode in and it'll tell you some statistics about the area, what schools there are and stuff like that. You've likely already seen it.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #8 on: January 5, 2013, 12:24:40 am »
 how much does it cost to rent a flat for 2 for a month? any website where I could have a good look?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 5, 2013, 08:14:33 am »
If I ever moved back home, I'd be looking at where the OP is looking too. My Dad lives in Allerton and its really nice where he lives. My wifes mate lives across the road from my Dad and even though the wife's a Manc, she sad she'd live around there too as she really likes the area and prefers nights out in Town than up here.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Areas to live LIVERPOOL
« Reply #10 on: January 5, 2013, 10:34:18 am »
Gateacre is nice. Just avoid Kirkdale, Westminster rd area especially. Delinquent bluenose youth area.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2013, 12:14:38 am by tray fenny »
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: January 5, 2013, 11:14:29 am »

snag is for our money we can get bigger house elsewhere so I need to know the location is worth it.

What's your price range and house type you're looking for ? Will dictate to a certain extent what's available .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2013, 11:23:51 am »
how much does it cost to rent a flat for 2 for a month? any website where I could have a good look?

Google ' short term residential lets Liverpool ' .

Quite a few results show up , but may be a bit pricey !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #13 on: January 5, 2013, 05:30:44 pm »
What's your price range and house type you're looking for ? Will dictate to a certain extent what's available .

210 on a 3 bed semi with garage depending on what my current sells for - houses aint shifted on my street for a while like.

Heard today the schools are a mare to get into also would have to go to church every sunday to get my son into a school as they are mostly over subscribed each new school year ? ?

we look close to green lane and dunbabin road.

had lunch on woolton road today just of queens drive - what are the ale houses like in these parts

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2013, 06:15:00 pm »
210 on a 3 bed semi with garage depending on what my current sells for - houses aint shifted on my street for a while like.

Heard today the schools are a mare to get into also would have to go to church every sunday to get my son into a school as they are mostly over subscribed each new school year ? ?

had lunch on woolton road today just of queens drive - what are the ale houses like in these parts

I've lived on both sides of Green Lane (towards Calderstones Park) and off Woolton Rd (opposite the Halfway House/Neighbourhood Cafe etc) and would recommend both sides highly if you could afford to buy a house in this area. You've got great primary schools in King David, Bishop Eton, Childwall Primary and Mosspits all in close proximity. Local bistros, Calderstones Park, pubs make it a desirable location to live. I'm sure there's many other areas around the city with similar features but I'd definitely recommend you considering a property around the area your currently looking in as you won't regret it!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 6, 2013, 12:04:54 pm »

I'd pretty much go along with what Keano7 said . For £210k you should be able to get what you're looking for , but as you say , the housing market's stagnant at the moment , so the biggest snag may be selling your own house . Rightmove is a great site for searching properties by area especially using map view , so if you enter Childwall / Allerton / Wavertree you'll pretty much cover all the areas your looking at .

As far as the church thing goes , I think this mainly applies to the Catholic schools as far as I know .

Pub wise , you've got Allerton Road / Penny Lane close by , so plenty of options on that score .

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #16 on: January 6, 2013, 12:17:00 pm »
I live off Penny Lane and we bought there for the bars restaurants etc but a month after we bought we found out that the missus was pregnant!

Now got a 4 year old and a 2 year old. Lots of good primary schools (Dovedale, Mosspits, Liverpool College) and some very good seniors (Bluecoat, Caldies, Liverpool College again). Good local shops and parks, 5 mins from the 62 and I got a 4 bed terrace for 200k. No garage but plenty of off street parking.
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 6, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »
Liverpool College is for toffs ;D

Is the Morrison county primary still going? I know they knocked the original one down (much to my personal heartbreak) but not been down Greendale in a while

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 6, 2013, 07:20:42 pm »

hmmm.

...seem to remember you posting something about your school years...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #19 on: January 6, 2013, 07:20:52 pm »

Is the Morrison county primary still going? I know they knocked the original one down (much to my personal heartbreak) but not been down Greendale in a while

It goes academy from next year. Pov free for all!
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 6, 2013, 07:34:12 pm »
Dirky, which one goes Academy - the College or Morrison CP?
« Last Edit: January 6, 2013, 07:36:30 pm by 24/7 »

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 6, 2013, 07:41:15 pm »
Dirky, which one goes Academy - the College or Morrison CP?
Hah, so I'm not the only one who didn't quite get that - its the college though: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/06/25/liverpool-college-to-become-academy-100252-31255470/

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #22 on: January 6, 2013, 08:54:04 pm »
Hah, so I'm not the only one who didn't quite get that - its the college though: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/06/25/liverpool-college-to-become-academy-100252-31255470/

Yeah, Liverpool College.

I think it will be a nightmare to get into for a couple of years at least but we're only round the corner so in with a shout. We're closer to Dovedale though so they'll probably go there.

Not sure about Morrison, I've not been down that way in a while myself.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #23 on: January 6, 2013, 10:35:01 pm »
Had a good look around this weekend but there are few on that price range 5 maybe for sale atm, most seem towards 250 then theres more choice and the ones closer to 200 or so are not great houses like for even that money.

Hmmnn - headaches coming on

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 6, 2013, 11:08:19 pm »
Personally much prefer up crosby area, far more space than south liverpool, and i would always rather have the beach than the parks. Can see the appeal with bars, restuarants etc, but there are so many houses squashed together and loads dont seem to have gardens. Although town is very close which i guess is a big plus to many people.
I would much rather live in crosby than south liverpool, but got my son coming up to senior school age and looking at schools etc, prob will end up moving to south end if he gets in somewhere decent. Loads of my mates live that way and love it, but as anyone from liverpool knows we have the ongoing north-south battle going on! :)

As for schools, been reading up for a year now:
Liverpool college is not only changing to academy but is now apparently going to be using the tiered entry system which complicates things even further(info available on line).
But bluecoat certainly and probably king david are the better schools in the area anyway.
St Edwards was always very good, but standards are definately slipping with the increasing numbers and non-selective intake, even the music department which was once great is pretty poor. That said still get a really good feeling from the school at open days and speaking to other parents etc.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #25 on: January 8, 2013, 10:16:59 pm »
Maghull was considered for a north end option at one point but crosby is out due to access away from liverpool being a problem - it seems a bit isolated unless you work over there or in liverpool every day where as we both cover manchester/cheshire etc.

Interesring point on the schools though thanx

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 9, 2013, 12:37:29 pm »
Google ' short term residential lets Liverpool ' .

Quite a few results show up , but may be a bit pricey !
a bit? it's very expensive!

:(

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27 on: January 9, 2013, 12:45:06 pm »
a bit? it's very expensive!

:(

Do the same search but type 'London' not 'Liverpool'. Then you'll feel slightly better about how expensive it seems!

Offline Richiemc

• Main Stander
« Reply #28 on: January 9, 2013, 10:44:19 pm »
Crosby is only 10 mins away from the motorway, used to work in Salford and Preston very easy commute.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 9, 2013, 10:50:11 pm »
Crosby is only 10 mins away from the motorway, used to work in Salford and Preston very easy commute.
Two words. Green Lane.
Two more. Copy Lane.
Last two. Switch Island.

:wave

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #30 on: January 9, 2013, 10:54:53 pm »
Two words. Green Lane.
Two more. Copy Lane.
Last two. Switch Island.

:wave

I know you're trying to help but there's better areas to live in Crosby really.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 9, 2013, 11:36:43 pm »
I know you're trying to help but there's better areas to live in Crosby really.
Oh for sure. I actually like Crosby but access to the motorway infrastructure looks good on a map and personal experience has taught me that it's sometimes a real pain the arse getting to that network. Just sayin' ;)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #32 on: January 9, 2013, 11:46:39 pm »
Oh for sure. I actually like Crosby but access to the motorway infrastructure looks good on a map and personal experience has taught me that it's sometimes a real pain the arse getting to that network. Just sayin' ;)

I know, was just trying to be a smartarse! I knew you were referring to the traffic (and it does always seem bad coming off there).

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 9, 2013, 11:54:56 pm »
I know, was just trying to be a smartarse! I knew you were referring to the traffic (and it does always seem bad coming off there).
shush, neither of you live in Liverpool!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 9, 2013, 11:55:05 pm »
Smart? Arse?

50% correct ;)

Kidding man. No worries.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 9, 2013, 11:55:44 pm »
shush, neither of you live in Liverpool!
"Shush! Neiither of you LIVES in Liverpool."

If you are going to take the piss, at least be grammatically correct when doing so :lmao

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #36 on: January 9, 2013, 11:56:24 pm »
Smart? Arse?

50% correct ;)

Kidding man. No worries.

Well I am quite dapper, thank you for noticing. :D

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 9, 2013, 11:58:25 pm »
"Shush! Neiither of you LIVES in Liverpool."

If you are going to take the piss, at least be grammatically correct when doing so :lmao

it doesn't change the fact that neither you nor CrosbyNick lives there
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:04:00 am by Lady_Brandybuck »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:58 am »
it doesn't change the fact that neither you nor CrosbyNick lives there
My mum's house is near Green Lane but then again you wouldn't know that ;) Congrats on the correct use of "neither/nor" though :wave

In conclusion, ladles and jellyspoons, Crosby might be near the motorway network but it's an absolute bitch to get to it at times.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 11:08:50 am »
Bumping this instead of starting a new thread.  Basically, I'm looking to move to Liverpool around August 2014 if all goes to plan with my work.  I'll be a few months shy of 21 by then, looking at probably around £500pm max in rent.  I'd like to be in and around the city center for the cinema, venues etc but I really don't know too much about prices there, or if it's better to live a little further out for a cheaper cost and commute a little bit. 

I know it's a way off, but if I have an idea of what it's going to cost me it'd be nice to start putting some away in preparation.