Author Topic: Preview: Liverpool v Aston Villa, Sat15th December 15.00 KO  (Read 75171 times)

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
Re: Preview: Liverpool v Aston Villa, Sat15th December 15.00 KO
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2012, 06:36:22 am »
It wouldn't be Suso on the right with Johnson. Doesn't have the required work rate & positioning to cover for Johnson's forward runs.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2012, 06:43:25 am »
It wouldn't be Suso on the right with Johnson. Doesn't have the required work rate & positioning to cover for Johnson's forward runs.

He did play there against Udinese, though, with Johnson behind him, so it's not an impossibility.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2012, 06:48:37 am »
The issue really is who plays the 3rd CM spot. Gerrard really, really needs to be rested. There's a case for Allen too.
Disagree. Gerrard was coming off the flu last week so wasn't 100% & the team has a full week to prepare. The only real case to rest anyone is Sterling who looks a bit mentally jaded. Was very poor against West Ham. I imagine it will be an unchanged team, minus Sterling for Suarez.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2012, 06:53:59 am »
He did play there against Udinese, though, with Johnson behind him, so it's not an impossibility.
Depends on the oppositions strengths.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 12, 2012, 07:00:57 am »
Depends on the oppositions strengths.

Well every gameplan depends on the opposition's strengths. That's what scouting is for - a SWOT analysis of what the other team has to offer, and possible solutions to those strengths and weaknesses. For Villa, one of their strengths is their use of Agbonlahor. One of their weaknesses is their high line and inability to maintain long passages of possession - force them to play longer pass sequences looking for the diagonal ball to Agbonlahor and the chances of regaining possession increase for us. So the question in terms of tactics and personnel selection is what are we willing to give up in one area in order to gain an advantage in another? That's how games are managed

Offline liverpoolfan1

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2012, 07:01:13 am »
They are still shite. Beating Norwich doesn't change that.

Nothing like our fans getting cocky before a game!  :butt

I remember when the majority on here were saying West Brom were shit and we were going to win easily. Same thing against Sunderland, Stoke and even Arsenal. Think it's best to judge a team after we have actually played them!
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are."

Bill Shankly

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2012, 07:04:42 am »
Disagree. Gerrard was coming off the flu last week so wasn't 100% & the team has a full week to prepare. The only real case to rest anyone is Sterling who looks a bit mentally jaded. Was very poor against West Ham. I imagine it will be an unchanged team, minus Sterling for Suarez.

Doesn't matter. He needs to be rested because he doesn't recover like he used, so he can't maintain intensity over the length of the season if he is playing a lot of games, especially for a player who has had lengthy spells of injury before. Sterling doesn't look tired at all. He was physically bullied for the past few games. But he finished the West Ham game strongly, which is not an indicator of any kind of fatigue. Resting won't harm him, but he's not at the stage where he needs any physical or mental rest.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2012, 07:07:30 am »
Whenever we play Villa at Anfield, I,m always reminded of God nutmegging Stan Staunton with that uber cheekey back heel and smashing it in the top corner from about 20 odd yards out. One of my favourite goals ever.

I digress, I fancy a comfortable 3-0 on Saturday.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2012, 07:13:34 am »
Doesn't matter. He needs to be rested because he doesn't recover like he used, so he can't maintain intensity over the length of the season if he is playing a lot of games, especially for a player who has had lengthy spells of injury before. Sterling doesn't look tired at all. He was physically bullied for the past few games. But he finished the West Ham game strongly, which is not an indicator of any kind of fatigue. Resting won't harm him, but he's not at the stage where he needs any physical or mental rest.
Sterling is physically fine, I agree. Mentally is a different story though. Decision making is a key factor in determining this. On evidence from the West Ham game, to me he seemed jaded. It was easier for him later in the game due to the extra space that was available due to the Diame injury. With the short turnarounds coming up in 2 weeks, that would be the ideal time to start rotating players like Gerrard & Allen.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2012, 07:20:33 am »
Sterling is physically fine, I agree. Mentally is a different story though. Decision making is a key factor in determining this. On evidence from the West Ham game, to me he seemed jaded. It was easier for him later in the game due to the extra space that was available due to the Diame injury. With the short turnarounds coming up in 2 weeks, that would be the ideal time to start rotating players like Gerrard & Allen.

Yes, mentally, you might be right. His touch was certainly at a low level for him, and he couldn't make the ball stick. But I'm wondering how much of that could be attributed to mental fatigue and how much could have been apprehension of the tackles he was being put under from the West Ham players?

As for the Christmas period - I agree; certain players will need to be judiciously used, but at the same time, it might be a thing to get rest periods in now in order to be fresh for, say, the Stoke game - this could be an important game to have all the big guns fresh for, as a win at the Britannia could be a huge psychological boost.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2012, 07:38:46 am »
Really looking forward to this game. Have a good feeling and I think we'll win by a 2-3 goal margin.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2012, 07:45:32 am »
Kinnell you really are the all-knowing oracle of football getting those results right aren't you? We're not worthy.
Beyond help, he is. So basically we should all believe his guessing.

Except that the West Ham game was the only game so far this season where I've been wrong with my pre-match prediction that we'd not win the game. Every other game that I've said we'd draw/lose, we have done, and I predicted the wins against Reading, Southampton and Norwich correctly too. So no, that doesn't make me like Mark Lawrenson.

We'll smash Aston Villa.
If you're so good at this stuff why don't you go put your live savings on one of these your predictions
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:48:25 am by hugoboss »

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2012, 07:48:58 am »

Welcome to RAWK where we have our very own version of Paul. Scotty the Octopus.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline crackerbox

• Yes boys, shorts weather
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up n' about
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2012, 08:36:16 am »
Hope Lucas can last the full game, other than that I'm not sure about this. I can see us starting strong and getting a goal within the first 10 minutes, play well and then just completely go off the throttle, just like against West Ham. Or we just completely take them to cleaners seeing it's Christmas an all.
I'd take a 2-0, Suarez and Downing against his former team after being introduced for the final five minutes of the game.

Come on you Reds!
I was in Alder Hay with an abscess on my hip in about 1973 and Bill Shankly never came and played the bongos for me.

http://twitter.com/crackerboxx

Offline ScottyBoy_21

• The Diet Coke of evil. Only one calorie.
  • Kopite
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2012, 08:49:50 am »
If you're so good at this stuff why don't you go put your live savings on one of these your predictions

I never said I was good at it. I was merely pointing out why his claim that I'm like Mark Lawrenson doesn't make sense. For it to make sense, I'd have had to have gotten most of my predictions wrong. As far as I'm aware, getting one prediction wrong and all the rest right doesn't suddenly make me akin to Mark Lawrenson.

Offline crasher1in

• Kopite
  • he who hesitates, masturbates
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2012, 08:51:20 am »
I fucking hate villa fans, for the sake of that i hope we twat these c*nts.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2012, 08:54:15 am »
Henderson should start and I'd like Assaidi to be given a chance.

Anyway, I'm convinced we'll walk this. Suarez, Sterling and Johnson should be enough to put a few past them
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2012, 08:54:41 am »
It's my birthday on the 15th, so hoping for a nice gift from Brendan & co.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2012, 09:06:36 am »
I never said I was good at it. I was merely pointing out why his claim that I'm like Mark Lawrenson doesn't make sense. For it to make sense, I'd have had to have gotten most of my predictions wrong. As far as I'm aware, getting one prediction wrong and all the rest right doesn't suddenly make me akin to Mark Lawrenson.

Swansea away = L
Spurs away = L
Southampton home = W
West Ham away = D
Aston Villa home = W

7 points from a possible 15.

We won't get more than that.

Just one prediction wrong hey?

And how about the Chelsea game where you said we would lose 3-1?

Not exactly Nostradamus.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:16:14 am by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2012, 09:09:51 am »
It's my birthday on the 15th, so hoping for a nice gift from Brendan & co.

Villa once beat us on my birthday 1-0. Ian Taylor scored the winner :(

We'll win this time though so no problems.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2012, 10:27:29 am »
After seeing Villa again, I'm going to up my prediction.

We are going to win this game upward of 4-0. I suspect 5-0, although 6-0 wouldn't be an unreasonable prediction. Villa are easily the worst side that I've ever seen in the top flight in decades. They are abysmal all over the pitch. No cohesion, no belief, no guts, no ability, no desire.

This, my friends, is going to be an absolute battering come the weekend. Villa are going to get absolutely pounded into the floor.

This will be the easiest game that Brendan Rodgers will ever have for this club.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Evans

• Anny Roader
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2012, 10:34:54 am »
Henderson should start and I'd like Assaidi to be given a chance.

Anyway, I'm convinced we'll walk this. Suarez, Sterling and Johnson should be enough to put a few past them
I agree about Henderson, but I'd much rather see Suso out there than Assaidi. Can see Suarez having a great game here btw, with a good long rest and a hunger for more goals.

Have a good feeling about the match, think we'll take it pretty easily actually, if I dare to say so. Villa are losing a lot of matches away from home this season.

Offline 6thSense

• 6th Sense? Nonsense more like.
  • Anny Roader
  • stadium work is gonna start in the summer of 2014
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2012, 10:45:08 am »
I'd take four points from these two home "bankers" if offered today. Villa been finding some form lately and Fulham are no mugs.
I never single out players for criticism - but there's no need tonight, because we were uniformly awful.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2012, 10:45:40 am »
Guys with the 3/6 - 0 predictions, I just don't want everyone to get their hopes too high. We're on a good run (I genuinely don't remember the last time we were on a 3 game win streak in all competitions) but we need to calm down, they're not a league 4 side or something. Its the premier league and anything can happen on the day. I think we should win this with Suarez having some good rest since the Udinese match. Going for a gritty 1-0 with Suarez knicking it in the second half.
Win the next 2 games 1-0 and we're bloody talking business like.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2012, 10:48:05 am »
Suarez double hatrick, IMO.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2012, 10:52:50 am »

The midfield three should work more as it did against Southampton. In these home games it's ideal for Gerrard to be able to get on the ball and drive forward with Allen, with Lucas holding things together. As long as Gerrard is driving forward and not just sat in the middle of the park.

Defensively i'd stick with Downing at left back and the rest of the back four picks itself.

Forward three, Suarez back in and it's a case of who to play in the side positions. I'd play Enrique left if fit otherwise Sterling. I'd go with Suso on the right.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2012, 11:00:08 am »
I'd take four points from these two home "bankers" if offered today. Villa been finding some form lately and Fulham are no mugs.

We're Liverpool Football Club.

Don't forget that.

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2012, 11:00:43 am »
After seeing Villa again, I'm going to up my prediction.

We are going to win this game upward of 4-0. I suspect 5-0, although 6-0 wouldn't be an unreasonable prediction. Villa are easily the worst side that I've ever seen in the top flight in decades. They are abysmal all over the pitch. No cohesion, no belief, no guts, no ability, no desire.

This, my friends, is going to be an absolute battering come the weekend. Villa are going to get absolutely pounded into the floor.

This will be the easiest game that Brendan Rodgers will ever have for this club.

Did you watch their Norwich match? What was it like?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2012, 11:01:38 am »
The midfield three should work more as it did against Southampton. In these home games it's ideal for Gerrard to be able to get on the ball and drive forward with Allen, with Lucas holding things together. As long as Gerrard is driving forward and not just sat in the middle of the park.

Defensively i'd stick with Downing at left back and the rest of the back four picks itself.

Forward three, Suarez back in and it's a case of who to play in the side positions. I'd play Enrique left if fit otherwise Sterling. I'd go with Suso on the right.

If we play Gerrard, we will scrape a win. However given how poor Gerrard has been of late, I'm confident he'll be dropped to the bench and brought on in the later stages when we're cruising and 5-0 up. Hopefully he'll be deployed up front where he'll be a real danger and kept away from midfield where he's generally made a pigs ear of everything. I can't see any reason why Rodgers would want to start Gerrard for the game on Saturday. Makes no sense. Especially if he's been ill. That would explain a lot.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2012, 11:01:53 am »
Except that the West Ham game was the only game so far this season where I've been wrong with my pre-match prediction that we'd not win the game. Every other game that I've said we'd draw/lose, we have done, and I predicted the wins against Reading, Southampton and Norwich correctly too. So no, that doesn't make me like Mark Lawrenson.

We'll smash Aston Villa.

Well fucking hark at you then lad, you can predict we'd beat three of the worst teams in the division. You should work for NASA.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2012, 11:03:28 am »
Did you watch their Norwich match? What was it like?

They got a bit of luck, but things just aren't firing for them. They are very stop/start. They seem confused when to move as a unit. They haven't even got the basics of their individual parts of the team going. You'd expect certain cohesion - across the back, across the middle, down the flanks, link up play etc. and they are just all running from place to place. Best example I've seen of a team playing like we used to when we were 5 years old. The whole team just run round chasing the ball. If you set it to Benny Hill music, it would be great.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2012, 11:06:54 am »
If we play Gerrard, we will scrape a win. However given how poor Gerrard has been of late, I'm confident he'll be dropped to the bench and brought on in the later stages when we're cruising and 5-0 up. Hopefully he'll be deployed up front where he'll be a real danger and kept away from midfield where he's generally made a pigs ear of everything. I can't see any reason why Rodgers would want to start Gerrard for the game on Saturday. Makes no sense. Especially if he's been ill. That would explain a lot.

Gerrard's played every minute in the league this season. I don't see that changing. If he's fit, he plays. I'd like to see resting and rotated more to keep him fresh and try other things, but it's not happening.

The bottom half teams at home should be games that suit Gerrard more as long as he's playing further forward. He'd soon start scoring goals if he was playing more as a number 10.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2012, 11:11:52 am »
Guys with the 3/6 - 0 predictions, I just don't want everyone to get their hopes too high. We're on a good run (I genuinely don't remember the last time we were on a 3 game win streak in all competitions) but we need to calm down, they're not a league 4 side or something. Its the premier league and anything can happen on the day. I think we should win this with Suarez having some good rest since the Udinese match. Going for a gritty 1-0 with Suarez knicking it in the second half.
Win the next 2 games 1-0 and we're bloody talking business like.

The good thing is we've started winning at home again, but we really need to win these two games to keep that confidence going because we had forgotten how to win.

In truth, I think Wigan (after we scored), Southampton and Reading were all woeful and we won without really convincing for a half in each game. I don't know what Villa are going to offer but it's always a case of needing to get our noses in front and take it from there. The crowd are always edgy at 0-0 if we don't get an early goal, and even at 1-0 until we get the second goal. It isn't until then that we can really relax.

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2012, 11:17:43 am »

I actually think we should give it a go, Suso has the ability to play brilliant balls in behind fullbacks, for overlapping fullbacks to run onto, think he would link up very very well with glen doing this. Sure we may be a bit too attacking, but we have Lucas and Allen covering. Also with glen behind Suso, it may force Suso to come inside more and fill the space behind the striker, with glen taking up the RW position when we are in possession of the ball.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2012, 11:30:40 am »
Think Sterling, Allen and Gerrard needs a break. Sterling was given the ball away too easily against West Ham, his touch was like passing to a brick wall.

I would give Assaidi a go together with Henderson and Sahin(if he is fit).

Reina

Enrique
Johnson
Agger
Skrtel

Sahin
Lucas
Henderson

Suarez
Suso
Assaidi

Offline Chavvie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2012, 11:37:54 am »
I never said I was good at it. I was merely pointing out why his claim that I'm like Mark Lawrenson doesn't make sense.

It does make sense when you consider that you're both nobheads.

Offline Dr_Evil

• Anny Roader
« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2012, 01:20:25 pm »
Think Sterling, Allen and Gerrard needs a break. Sterling was given the ball away too easily against West Ham, his touch was like passing to a brick wall.

I would give Assaidi a go together with Henderson and Sahin(if he is fit).

Reina

Enrique
Johnson
Agger
Skrtel

Sahin
Lucas
Henderson

Suarez
Suso
Assaidi

No Shelvey?
Holy fuck lads I got family home. My computer isn't at a hidden place in the house. They saw the penis.

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »
This one is not as easy as people are making out. Lambert has his side set up the same way his Norwich side was last season. Yea, the team that give us a hiding at our own place and took a point. He has the target man upfront (Holt,Benteke) and a man in behind them picking up the loose balls and the wingers running onto the flick downs. Benteke from what I have seen is a real handful having said that I am sure Skrtel can control him. At the minute if you stop Benteke you stop Villa
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:55:54 pm by AHughes1993 »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2012, 02:24:39 pm »
This one is not as easy as people are making out. Lambert has his side set up the same way his Norwich side was last season. Yea, the team that give us a hiding at our own place and took a point. He has the target man upfront (Holt,Benteke) and a man in behind them picking up the loose balls and the wingers running onto the flick downs. Benteke from what I have seen is a real handful having said that I am sure Skrtel can control him. At the minute if you stop Benteke you stop Villa

Ah come on. Easy peasy.

Gerrard starting - an easy 1-0

Gerrard on bench and coming on later 5-0.

Easy. Peasy.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: December 12, 2012, 02:59:38 pm »
As others have said we need to approach every game with some caution.

With Suarez back I'd push for the inclusion of Henderson in midfield (possibly at the expense of Allen.  Allen is superb, but I think a break before Christmas would do him good and we have a lot of games coming up in quick succession.  Plus Henderson has been in fine form.

A midfield 3 of Lucas, Henderson and Shelvey could be interesting with Gerrard, Sterling and Suarez in the front three.  As we saw in the first half against Southampton, with Lucas back Gerrard, Sterling, Allen etc were able to interchange nicely.  Am still not sure about Shelvey in the middle of the park, but if he's swapping positions with Gerrard, Sterling and Suarez then it could really cause havoc amongst the Villa defence.

3 points and a penalty for Suarez would get the festivities going nicely...