Author Topic: Minimum price plan to end cheap alcohol sales  (Read 12978 times)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Re: Minimum price plan to end cheap alcohol sales
« Reply #160 on: December 4, 2012, 09:44:06 pm »
Is it a free bar in the Palace of Westminster or just a cheap one?
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: December 4, 2012, 10:11:09 pm »
Is it a free bar in the Palace of Westminster or just a cheap one?
It's not free.

. . . . but it is subsidised by the tax payer.  :o

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #162 on: December 4, 2012, 10:19:43 pm »
It's not free.

. . . . but it is subsidised by the tax payer.  :o

Plus the Smoking Ban doesn't apply to that Bar. :no
#Sausages

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 5, 2012, 09:45:47 am »
Plus the Smoking Ban doesn't apply to that Bar. :no

WHAT?!

One rule for one, one rule for another...stupid bastards.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 5, 2012, 11:47:52 am »
Lecturers have scoffed at my warnings of civil unrest and social revolution.  IMO it just comes down to how many different sections of the populace you can get away with pissing off and where the line is drawn.  Frankly I'd rather put the Queen in charge these days, and I'm a committed republican...

I'd like to imagine a conversation between her and Cameron going something like this: "In my time as Monarch I've seen over a dozen Prime Ministers.  My first PM was Winston Churchill.  You are such a pale, weak little man by comparison..."
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2022, 07:20:02 am »
Interesting to get any input from any Irish in here on the implementation of this. I find it bizarre that the increase cost goes into the pockets of the seller. I would have thought the government would have used used some sort of mechanism of collecting the money and using it elsewhere.

Shop offers credit note for value of €47 slab of beer to shoppers who buy €30 of plastic glasses in protest at minimum price laws

A supermarket owner has reacted to the big jump in the price of beer following the introduction of minimum alcohol pricing with a promotion for customers.

Sam’s Gala in Dunmanway, Co Cork, is offering customers a credit note for the value of a €47 slab of beer when they buy €30 of plastic glasses.

However, shoppers are not tied to buying a slab of cans with the €47.34 credit note – they can also redeem it against the price of other products sold in the shop - such as a vacuum cleaner or a mop.

Sam's Gala is offering customers 24 plastic glasses for €30 and in return they will receive a credit note to the value of €47.34 which can be then redeemed according to strict terms and conditions which can be viewed in store.

In just two hours on Tuesday night, the shop’s post on Facebook was seen by 168,000 people and store owner Colm O'Sullivan has received a massive reaction from people reacting to the newly introduced minimum alcohol pricing which has sent beer and cider prices soaring.

"I've already been called a hero, asked to run for election and likened to my Irish hero of all time - Michael Collins - and it's only been two hours since the offer was posted," said Colm on Tuesday evening.

"I haven't sold one single slab of beer all week since the minimum alcohol pricing came into effect and in two hours, I have sold nine slabs and even a mop," he laughed.

"I suppose it's one way to get rid of all these post-Christmas plastic glasses we have in stock.

"In the last few months, people were told the price of whiskey and other spirits would increase a lot and you wouldn't be able to buy a bottle of wine for less than €7 but the huge hike to cans of beer wasn't really mooted in my mind.

"Ahead of the New Year, I sat down and studied the legislation and did the maths. And did the maths again because I couldn't believe the astronomical change in the price of a crate of beer from €26 to €47.

"As far as I'm concerned, I reread the legislation and I am not breaking any law in offering a credit note with every sale of 24 plastic glasses. I have strict and lengthy terms and conditions in store which have to be adhered to when redeeming the offer

"The law states that vouchers can't be used to buy alcohol but there is no mention of credit notes and I'm not in any way associating this promotion with alcohol solely as other products are on offer too.

"This increase in prices in alcohol goes directly to the retailer and I'm not proud of that so I see this as my way of giving it back by offering value in a range of products.”

Mr O’Sullivan added: "We're not sucking it up, the hoover does that and we always try to mop up prices here as much as we can.

"It's all a bit of craic and that makes the day enjoyable. It's also keeping 31 staff in a job and I have to say, being likened to my absolute Irish hero of all times, Michael Collins, did bring a tear to my eye.”

Minimum unit alcohol pricing came into effect in Ireland last week as a public health measure meant to deter problem drinking, with a minimum price of 10 cent per gramme of alcohol under the Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018.

It means an average bottle of wine cannot be sold for under €7.40, while a can of beer costs at least €1.70.

A bottle of vodka or gin now costs a minimum of €20.70, while whiskey now costs at least €22.

Ireland has joined the likes of Scotland, Wales, the Russian Federation and parts of Australia and Canada introducing the move.

Scotland was the first in Europe to introduce it in 2018, followed by Wales in 2020.

Reaction on Facebook to the Sam’s Gala promotion has been overwhelming, with comments such as: "Brilliant. Someone deserves a bonus for this idea' and 'I think I might return the plastic glasses right after I'm done too in case someone else needs them.’”

"Store of the year right here, Sam ya legend," said another, while one person said: “Brace yourselves, you're about to become the most famous shop in Ireland."

Others even commented on the great value of the mops for a bit of New Year spring cleaning.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shop-offers-credit-note-for-value-of-47-slab-of-beer-to-shoppers-who-buy-30-of-plastic-glasses-in-protest-at-minimum-price-laws-41232513.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2022, 08:10:47 am »
Interesting to get any input from any Irish in here on the implementation of this. I find it bizarre that the increase cost goes into the pockets of the seller. I would have thought the government would have used used some sort of mechanism of collecting the money and using it elsewhere.

We've had it in Scotland for a few years now. It is bizarre but in Scotland at least it was done because the Scottish government doesn't have the power to raise alcohol duties so this was a workaround.

It has basically killed the market for cheap ciders like White Lightning. There have been some limited studies showing reduction in drinking, at least up until Covid, though I don't think there has been anything conclusive to show MUP was the cause.

For me personally, and for the vast majority of people it hasn't made much difference at all - everything I was drinking was already above the minimum price anyway.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2022, 10:53:07 am »
We've had it in Scotland for a few years now. It is bizarre but in Scotland at least it was done because the Scottish government doesn't have the power to raise alcohol duties so this was a workaround.

It has basically killed the market for cheap ciders like White Lightning. There have been some limited studies showing reduction in drinking, at least up until Covid, though I don't think there has been anything conclusive to show MUP was the cause.

For me personally, and for the vast majority of people it hasn't made much difference at all - everything I was drinking was already above the minimum price anyway.

I noticed it when I went to Scotland last summer. I'm used to buying 18-packs of lager in supermarkets for about £12.  ;D

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2022, 11:07:10 am »
It's the same here in Wales although not massively different if you pick a ten pack up every week or so but we don't get the crazy deals of 3x10 packs for £20 during BBQ season or when England are playing.

Nor did we get the cheap spirits deals in October and November to stock up for Christmas.

When I'm back in Yorkshire for work I usually do a shop and pick up stuff if there's an offer on though.

Maybe that'll have to stop if the Tory's ever sort out their cross border issues 😂😂

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2022, 11:41:17 am »

I noticed it when I went to Scotland last summer. I'm used to buying 18-packs of lager in supermarkets for about £12.  ;D

There's quite a few different laws around alcohol in Scotland you southerners would have to get used to.

- MUP
- Multi buy offers are banned (in pubs and off license)
- Only allowed to have alcohol in one specific section in a shop, so no putting up wine promotions in the chilled section for example)
- can't buy alcohol after 10pm or before 10am apart from in pubs/clubs etc.