Author Topic: Preview: Liverpool FC v Swansea City, Capital One Cup 4th Round, 31st Oct, 20.00  (Read 46625 times)

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
Liverpool continue their defence of the League Cup at Anfield against Brendan Rodgers’ former side Swansea City on Wednesday.

The fixture pits the Liverpool boss against his former employers for the first time since he moved from the Liberty Stadium to Merseyside in the summer.  Since his departure, Swansea have recruited Danish legend Michael Laudrup to manage the Welsh outfit, and he got off to a dream start to his managerial career in England (or Wales!) with a comprehensive 5-0 thrashing of QPR at Loftus Road on the opening day of the season. 
City take their place in the 4th Round after seeing off a spirited Crawley Town side in their previous League Cup outing.

Swansea were busy in the summer transfer market, adding Michu, Pablo Hernandez, Chico Flores and a few others to the playing staff, with the former proving an instant hit, already scoring half-a-dozen league goals.
Swansea did, however, lose several key players in the summer with Joe Allen and Scott Sinclair heading for the exit and Gylfi Sigurdsson and Steven Caulker’s loan spells with the club coming to an end.

For Liverpool, a home tie in the League Cup is a bit of a rarity.  Despite last season’s success in the competition, the Reds were drawn away in every round, only playing at Anfield by default in the second leg of the semi-final against Manchester City.
The last time Liverpool were drawn as the home team in this competition was against Northampton Town in September 2010.  The less said about that, the better!
Rodgers’ men overcame West Brom (unsurprisingly away at The Hawthorns) in the last round with Nuri Sahin scoring a brace for the holders. 
16 year-old Jerome Sinclair came off the bench to become Liverpool’s youngest ever first team player.

Since becoming the first Welsh side to achieve promotion to the Premiership last year, Swansea and Liverpool have squared up twice.  Culminating in a 0-0 draw at Anfield last November and a 1-0 win for Swansea on the final day of the 2011/12 season.

At Anfield last season, Liverpool will feel that they dominated most games and didn’t get the just reward for all their possession and play, but this wasn’t the case against a Swansea side that caused Liverpool problems with their pace and movement. 

Andy Carroll challenges Ashley Williams at Anfield in November 2011

The Swans also had the greater share of possession with 55% - not many teams come to Anfield and have more of the ball than Liverpool, regardless of the final outcome on the day. 
Andy Carroll added to Liverpool’s growing statistic of hitting the woodwork when he headed a Stuart Downing cross on to the bar in the 7th minute.  However, Swansea also had chances to break the deadlock, notably with Mark Gower squandering a great late chance.
But for a wonder save by goalkeeper Michel Vorm, Liverpool could have stolen all 3 points when he tipped over a Glen Johnson effort at the death, but in fairness it would have been harsh on Swansea. 
The result was the 3rd league home draw in-a-row for the hosts.

In May, the sides met for what would ultimately be Brendan Rodgers and Kenny Dalglish’s last games in charge of their respective clubs.
A week after FA Cup Final heartbreak against Chelsea, and a game with nothing but pride to play for, Liverpool didn’t look at the races as Swansea closed out an impressive debut Premiership season with a 14th clean sheet. 
A game that lacked any real quality was settled when Danny Graham rammed in from close range 4 minutes from time when it appeared both teams had settled for a share of the spoils and compounded a difficult league season for the Reds. 

Liverpool come in to the game off the back of a frantic Merseyside derby draw with neighbours Everton, ensuring the Reds have lost just once in their last 6 games in all competitions (against Udinese in the Europa League).  Swansea's form has dipped since making a positive start to the season, and they face a tough home league tie against Chelsea on Saturday.

It’s difficult to pre-empt what sort of line-up both sides will go with as both clubs made wholesale changes to their starting XI’s in the previous round, but Brendan Rodgers will be reluctant to release Liverpool’s grip on the famous three-handled trophy his club have won a record 8 times - no matter how ridiculous the latest sponsorship deal makes it sound. 
The game falls on Halloween, so let’s hope Swansea City don’t get Liverpool by the Ghoulies!

Team news:  Lucas Leiva, Martin Kelly and Fabio Borini are long-term absentees, whilst Pepe Reina could come back in to the side after finding himself on the bench against Everton.

Swansea City lost goalkeeper Michel Vorm to injury in the defeat against Manchester City that looks set to see him sidelined for 6 weeks.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:14:27 pm by ashleyrose-66 »

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Great stuff Ashley. Fascinating tie this one, suspect Brendan will field a strongish side as this is one team he'll be very keen to beat. Vorm being out is very bad news for them, like us it's not just his shot stopping ability they'll miss but his ability to play the way the 'system' requires. 
Laudrup seems to have gone off the boil after a strong start hasn't he?

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
This will be our 3rd game in 6 days, following the fixtures against Anzhi last Thursday and Everton on Sunday, so I think something has to give and we may see a few changes on Wednesday.

I'd expect to see Downing, Henderson, Assaidi and Shelvey start, and there could also be starts for Coates and Carragher. 

The games are coming thick and fast at the moment, with Newcastle at the weekend, followed by another midweek game against Anzhi (away) next week coming just 3 days before a trip to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.  IF we were to be victorious against Swansea, that would set up ANOTHER mid-week fixture before the Wigan game on 17th November.    We face potentially 10 games in 30 days if we are successful on Wednesday, so Rodgers will have to manage his squad accordingly.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Play all the fringe players. Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling, Allen, Skrtel and Agger all need rests.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
Great stuff Ashley. Fascinating tie this one, suspect Brendan will field a strongish side as this is one team he'll be very keen to beat. Vorm being out is very bad news for them, like us it's not just his shot stopping ability they'll miss but his ability to play the way the 'system' requires. 
Laudrup seems to have gone off the boil after a strong start hasn't he?

I really don't see it. Not after playing a strong team in the Europa League. I mean this is our 3rd game in 6 days. No doubt Rodgers will want to beat Swansea and put on a good show BUT i'm sure he realises this competition is our 4th priority. I think he showed that in the previous round by sticking young Sinclair on.

I think we'll see the same kind of team that faced WBA in the previous round. The usual backup players plus Yesil, Pacheco, Robinson and maybe a wildcard like Morgan, Coady or Sinclair. I also think it'll be a good game to get Reina back in and up to speed for Newcastle.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline AggerCarra

• Main Stander
  • S E R B I A
We play Newcastle on weekend so we rest Agger, Suarez and Gerrard. We must beat Newcastle or we far away from top 5. Our kids are good to beat Swansea will be good game.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Would like to see a mix of the teams we played against Young Boys and WBA. Some players have done well considering the amount of games they have played the last two weeks but they need a rest.

Priority for this season should be the PL first and EL second.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
For me all the nailed on starters should be rested. I don't want to see any of Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard, Allen, Johnson, Agger or Skrtel anywhere near Anfield. They should be tucked up in bed.

However I still think we can put out a fairly strong side which should be enough to give Swansea a good game. Enrique, Henderson, Shelvey, Downing & Assaidi should all be looking to secure a regular starting place. I hope Pepe will get a game as well to prove his fitness

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
As others have said, i dont want Suarez, Agger, Gerrard or Allen anywhere near the pitch on Wednesday, they need a rest. I'd go with a starting 11 of: Jones, Robinson, Coates, Carra, Wisdom, Henderson, Shelvey, Suso, Assaidi, Downing, Yesil

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Quick question, does RAWK select who writes these previews or can anyone do one?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Think we'll see quite a few changes for this. The likes of henderson, downing, maybe even yesil or pacheco. Still feel confident though, it will be interesting, i watched Swansea the other night and they held there own against city, michu is a real threat, so i'm hoping he might be rested.

Think we'll win though.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
Excellent build up to the game, thanks for posting.

Yep, selection will need to be based on the tight series of fixtures we have coming up and not just on this as a one-off match, particularly as many were quite surprised that BR selected the likes of Gerrard and Suarez for the last two games in a row (which paid off at least in my mind). They (at least) need to be rested. Wisdom has been playing a lot as well to be honest but maybe he is young and strong enough to make another start.

I'd give Pepe a chance to show he's back to full fitness and also that his form has improved (coupled with a not so subtle hint that if his form hasn't improved this is the sort of competition he'll be playing in). Not sure Jose will be up to two starts within four days.
I'd guess at something like:

Reina

Wisdom       Carra          Coates        Downing

Sahin     Shelvey       Cole

Suso       Yesil         Assaidi

Serious doubts about the Cole inclusion but hey, he needs to start earning his corn at some point, no?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:04:40 pm by SinceSixtyFive »

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Quick question, does RAWK select who writes these previews or can anyone do one?
Normally they're written by one of the RAWK Scribes or RAWK Writers.
If you want to become one, impress the editors by posting lots of great stuff :wave

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
As others have said, i dont want Suarez, Agger, Gerrard or Allen anywhere near the pitch on Wednesday, they need a rest. I'd go with a starting 11 of: Jones, Robinson, Coates, Carra, Wisdom, Henderson, Shelvey, Suso, Assaidi, Downing, Yesil

Wouldnt of thought Allen needs a rest to be honest but rest you mention probably shouldnt start.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
Think Vorm was a lot more important to Rodgers Swansea than Laudrups. Not that they won't miss him, he is obviously a class keeper, but from what I have seen they don't use Vorm as the 11th footballer the way they did last season.
They will also let us play our game by playing their own, rather than just coming to Anfield to try and spoil, which so many teams do. So I am pretty confident we can get a win, even with a less than full strength team, as I am sure they will be playing fringe players as well.

"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Harris96

• Kopite
would definitely rest most of the team if not all of it, reina should start however get him back ready for the match against newcastle which will be a tough game

reina
wisdom  coates           carragher  robinson
                 hendo      sahin
   downing       pacheco     assadi
                         yesil

Hendo and sahin seem to fit well together and we need hendo to do a job on michu assuming he's playing, hopefully downing will carry on his form from left back to right wing and same with assaidi's form in general

Not sure about yesil however we don't want suarez picking up a yellow seeing as he's one booking away from a suspension, i'd take ngoo along and put him on the bench, same with suso
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:27:06 pm by Harris96 »

Offline LucyLFC

• Kopite
Would give most of the big players a rest and keep them for Newcastle on Sunday. Give the likes of Yesil and Assaidi a game.
My team would be Jones, Wisdom, Carragher, Coates, Robinson, Henderson, Shelvey, Sahin, Downing, Assaidi, Yesil.

Offline Oh Caption! My Caption!

• Was Alonso.
  • Legacy Fan
  • And it's GERAAAAAAARD!!!
Reina

Wisdom - Coates - Carra - Robinson

Allen - Henderson
Shelvey

Downing - Pacheco - Assaidi.

Thats what I hope to see and pretty much what I think we will see, other than perhaps Yesil instead of Pacheco

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
I think Hendo and Sahin will start this game together in the middle. I really hope Pacheco and Yesil get a start also. Pretty confident we can win this. Whatever we though, we have to rest the big guns because the Newcastle game is very important especially seeing as we have Chelsea coming up also.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
Very hard not to see Vorm being injured as a big loss for them.

Gerhard Tremmel is the likely replacement. More info on him at the links below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20113602

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Tremmel

Also the team from the WBA game was as follows.

Jones
Coates
Carragher
Wisdom
Robinson
Sahin
Henderson
Downing
Assaidi
Pacheco 
Yesil 

Subs:
Gulacsi
Wilson
Sterling
Coady
Sama
Suso
Sinclair

A further complication/issue in terms of squad selection is there is a bit of serious fixture congestion going on in that the Next Gen Game away to Dortmund kicks off at 7pm in Wednesday. A serious number of the players listed about are eligible for the NextGen (although some would be overage)

One area where this could come into play is that Ngoo is completely ineligible to play in the NextGen (he's too old to be one of the three overage player whereas Morgan is eligible without being overage) Assuming Suarez is rested I would expect Yesil to start with Ngoo on the bench and possibly Morgan travelling with the NextGen. If Morgan doesnt travel the options for the NextGen in the striking stakes are either Sinclair or Peterson (who has played one game as a striker for the U18s)

Also on the injury front Gulacsi has a broken thumb according to Neil Jones of the Echo so will be out for a few weeks - was the reason why Belford took part in the warm-up yesterday.

If I had to guess at a lineup I would go for the following assuming the sames sort of approach is taken as last time out.

Jones
Carragher
Coates
Wisdom
Robinson
Henderson
Shelvey
Assaidi
Pacheco
Cole
Yesil

Reina
Wilson
Coady
Sahin
Flanagan
Downing
Ngoo

Injured : Lucas, Gulacsi, Kelly, Borini
Rested : Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling, Johnson, Enrique, Allen , Suso

For the NextGen I would assume a very similar side to what appeared the last time out.

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
One thing for sure is that either sahin or Allen will play. Rodgers always feels like he needs one controller in his team and I think Sahin having only played 45 mins yesterday will get the role. Personally, I think the combination of Sahin and Henderson have been excellent so far and I really look forward to seeing the two get a little run around.

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
Good to have another game so quick, I need to get rid of yesterday's frustration.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
One thing for sure is that either sahin or Allen will play. Rodgers always feels like he needs one controller in his team and I think Sahin having only played 45 mins yesterday will get the role. Personally, I think the combination of Sahin and Henderson have been excellent so far and I really look forward to seeing the two get a little run around.

Could one of Cole or Pacheco not play as a controlling midfielder ?  have Henderson as the most defensive midfielder, Shelvey the most offensive and Cole/Pacheco play deeper than usual as the middle of the midfield three. They could even alternate the role (for when Joe needs a fag break) I think both would supposedly have the skill set to do the job.

Have Assaidi consistently wide, Yesil up front, Shelvey with a mostly free roaming attacking role.

Basically I'd like to see Sahin rested if possible (I know he only played 45 mins yesterday) but there is still a hell of a lot of games on the next two months.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:47:21 pm by johnhouldinglfc »

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
Luis Suarez on everybody's favourite website, Twitter:

luis16suarez
A draw. We could have won, incredible. Now who says anything? Now is time to rest and recover for Wednesday!!!!!...

Suggest he is in, or believes he will be in, the squad somehow, no? Unless I'm reading too much into it.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Luis Suarez on everybody's favourite website, Twitter:

luis16suarez
A draw. We could have won, incredible. Now who says anything? Now is time to rest and recover for Wednesday!!!!!...

Suggest he is in, or believes he will be in, the squad somehow, no? Unless I'm reading too much into it.

Reading too much into it. Just means he has to be prepared incase....
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
Reading too much into it. Just means he has to be prepared incase....

Ah, makes sense. Would like to see him rested! I'm expecting a team similar to the WBA game.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline aman92

• Main Stander
  • You want some, come get some
I am dying to see our new hero Downing in action.

Offline jimmyjr86

• Legacy Fan
  • Up on a hill, here's where we begin...
I dont think Rodgers will want to lose to Swansea. So will use a few more first teamers than against WBA.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Would very much like to see Robinson, Coates, Henderson, Downing, Assaidi and Yesil come in for this one.

Rests for Agger, Skrtel, Sterling, Gerrard, Suarez.

Offline SYLENTm

• ight be a total uppet :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is Anfield!
    • The Liverpool Way / My FM Story (to start soon)
I dont think Rodgers will want to lose to Swansea. So will use a few more first teamers than against WBA.

I highly doubt his ego will go first, why play any first team players when the next game is vs newcastle?
Must admint Cesc is a great prospect new him before he went to Arsenal, same with Pique(now at ManU) and Messi also from Barcelona. Watch out for these guys in the future look very good.

Get him in the scouting team ASAP!

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
Normally they're written by one of the RAWK Scribes or RAWK Writers.
If you want to become one, impress the editors by posting lots of great stuff :wave

I was going to start one, After reading your last comment I'm glad I never did.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
I was going to start one, After reading your last comment I'm glad I never did.
;D
By the way, Ashley was recruited on board because his unsolicited preview for the Anzhi game was very good. A scribe was going to write one but didn't need to in the end as we decided to keep Ashley's one and also 'make' him.

• Legacy Fan
If Downing plays, anyone think he will play left back this time? Can Robinson play on the right instead as surely Wisdom is going to need a rest now?

Any word on Glen Johnson and his injury?

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
If Downing plays, anyone think he will play left back this time? Can Robinson play on the right instead as surely Wisdom is going to need a rest now?

Any word on Glen Johnson and his injury?

Goal aside I thought Downing was pretty poor in his cameo at left-back. Also dont think Robinson has any experience on the right.

Flanagan to come in at right back if Wisdom is rested? McLaughlin is going to Germany so hes not an option at right back.

An off the wall possibility would be Wilson and Coates centre-back and Carra shifted to his old right back slot. I think it would be utter madness though.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
I still can't come around to call it Capital One Cup - COC...

We have enough personnel including the reserves to win this game and Rodgers should have enough tactical knowledge about his former players. What I wish we had that Swansea have is a guy like Michu. Not that he's the next best thing since sliced bread, but we ain't got anyone close to being that.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
My XI:

Reina
Johnson - Carra - Coates - Robinson
Henderson - Sahin
Suso - Cole - Assaidi
Yesil

If Johnson is out, I'd like to see McLaughlin get a run-out. Might be a bit early form him, though.

Actually, come to think of it, it would be interesting to change Downing for Cole, and see Suso in the no 10-role.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:28:14 pm by edge »

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
My XI:

Reina
Johnson - Carra - Coates - Robinson
Henderson - Sahin
Suso - Cole - Assaidi
Yesil

If Johnson is out, I'd like to see McLaughlin get a run-out. Might be a bit early form him, though.

McLaughlin confirmed on Twitter he's going to Germany for the NextGen game. As has Morgan. So both of them wont be involved.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
;D
By the way, Ashley was recruited on board because his unsolicited preview for the Anzhi game was very good. A scribe was going to write one but didn't need to in the end as we decided to keep Ashley's one and also 'make' him.
So its true that RAWK is a mafioso organisation. So Ashley's a made man now huh? So that's what I gotta do, amico ? Make my bones? Put some wiseguy in bed with the fishes?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
Their centenary badge is phenomenal.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come On Redmen!
Only one way to get over this refereeing farce and that is to be two goals clear before the last minute!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!