Author Topic: Controller help for PC  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Controller help for PC
« on: September 21, 2012, 01:06:39 am »
If I buy an Xbox 360 controller, because it's windows, will it work without the need for any addition controller mapping software? I've used the 360 on a mates PC but I'm sure he was using Xpadder, and it also seemed to involve alot of dicking about to get them working.

I was using a PS3 controller with motionjoy but it was always a nightmare anytime I disconnected the controller to play the PS3. It would take hours of messing about with drivers to get it working again and I just want something I can plug in and play without any shit.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: Controller help for PC
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:44:12 am »
I owned an Xbox 360 that came with a wireless controller. When my Xbox RRODed I got one of those receiver thingys for the PC and it works fine. I don't remember whether it came with a special kind of software or whether I just had to install a driver. Whatever I had to do, it worked without much of a fuss. I basically plugged the receiver in, installed the software (or just the driver) and I was able to use the controller... Could be different if you're using a wired controller (even though I'm not sure why it would)...

Now, I just have the receiver thing plugged in all the time and just turn on the controller whenever I need it (which isn't often if I'm not in the process of heavily playing a game that's better with a controller). It takes about two seconds until the controller is recognized and I can play. The only time there is a problem is, when I start the game first and then turn on the controller, but that's probably down to the game checking for controllers at the beginning and not finding one when it hasn't been switched on...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 01:46:49 am by stoa »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:49:13 am »
A 360 controller will work, but for you to have it just plug and play, it needs to be a corded controller. A wireless one will work, but you need to get a wireless receiver for it to detect it. Also, it's worth noting that certain games won't detect either controller without additional support from software like xpadder.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 07:01:08 am »
I've got an XBOX Corded and a wireless controller for my PC and laptops. Both work brilliantly.

As has been mentioned, you need a USB wireless transmitter if you want to use a wireless one. And again they are excellent. You can also use your wireless one on your PC or your XBox.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:08:32 am »
Cheers fellas. Looks like I'm getting this for £35, as it comes with a wireless receiver.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004JU0JSA/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:54:23 am »
Cheers fellas. Looks like I'm getting this for £35, as it comes with a wireless receiver.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004JU0JSA/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

The microsoft is the best one. I got a 'non microsoft' wireless transmitter first, which works on my desktop but not the laptop. Then I bought a Microsoft one and that seems to work with everything.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 12:19:15 pm »
I have that transmitter (minus the controller) and it works a treat. So it's a good choice... ;)

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 12:28:02 pm »
Wired works. Wired ps3 also works.