Author Topic: Dynasty Warriors  (Read 5914 times)

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
Dynasty Warriors
« on: September 5, 2012, 01:52:44 pm »
Any DW fans out there? I've been hooked since No. 3 (which is probably to this day still my favourite), altthough I've never bought an Xtreme Legends or Empires. Thinking I might get Empires 7 when it's out though.

For those who don't know what it is, it's the ultimate Hack 'n' Slash console game. Based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel by Luo Guanzhong. Each game is ultimately a remake of the last, but not a copy, if that makes sense. It's got a brilliant storyline, which makes it very compelling, and there is tonnes of replay value, with 60+ characters.

I'm really hoping I'm not the only person here who plays it!

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
Re: Dynasty Warriors
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2012, 02:30:34 pm »
Like hack 'n' slash games - neevr played dynasty warriors though. Just had a look on youtube and it looks interesting. What number are we up to on PS3/360?

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2012, 03:16:42 pm »
Like it and it got me interested in the Three Kingdoms era of Chinese history.

Also a fan of the Samurai Warriors series which is essentially the same but set in the Sengoku Jidai period of Japanese history which I like as well.

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2012, 04:11:40 pm »
Like hack 'n' slash games - neevr played dynasty warriors though. Just had a look on youtube and it looks interesting. What number are we up to on PS3/360?

Number 7 was released last year, 7 xtreme legends earlier this year, 7 empires will be released in october/november and number 8 will come out next year.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 5, 2012, 05:46:41 pm »
Dynasty Warriors 2 was fantastic.

Ohhh the many times I just ignored all the enemies and ran straight for the final boss because I couldn't be bothered owning hundreds of enemies ;D

Lu Bu is fucking boss.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 5, 2012, 05:50:24 pm »

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 5, 2012, 05:51:45 pm »

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #7 on: September 5, 2012, 06:03:52 pm »
Number 7 was released last year, 7 xtreme legends earlier this year, 7 empires will be released in october/november and number 8 will come out next year.

What's the difference between xtreme and empires? As a newbie would you recommend getting 7, extreme or waiting for empires or just wait for 8 full stop?

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 5, 2012, 06:06:24 pm »
What's the difference between xtreme and empires? As a newbie would you recommend getting 7, extreme or waiting for empires or just wait for 8 full stop?

Xtreme is kind of like an expansion which usually includes new characters and game modes. I don't usually bother getting them.

Empires is a strategy spin off. You can play as a faction, recruit generals and go into battles and give orders while doing the usual gameplay of hack n slash and conquer China. Pretty awesome.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 5, 2012, 06:25:46 pm »
The most repetitive game I've ever attempted playing.  Think I tried 3 for a couple of hours, nope.  When 5 came out, same thing.  Just couldn't get into it.

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 5, 2012, 09:02:41 pm »

I just recently bought 7 pre-owned for £20. I'd recommend getting it. I've never seen the appeal of Xtreme Legends but I'm really keen to try Empires for the first time when the new one comes out. It's got such a rich backstory, and each game has an encyclopaedia so you can read about the characters and events of the Three Kingdoms period. It's proper nerdy stuff but I love it. There've been countless games/tv series/ films based on the Romance of The Three Kingdoms but Dynasty Warriors is the most AWESOME of them all.

Yeah, Lu Bu is one nasty fucker, when you buy the game and you come across him in the Hu Lao Gate level. STAY THE FUCK AWAY.

I'd really like to see a proper online element to it. One where you pick a battle, then people connect to that battle, choose a side and an officer and then each side fights each other. That's just an idea but I think Online is really where they need to go with the series now. I know there is an online aspect to DW7 and there is a MMORPG in Dynasty Warriors Online, but I'd like to see them implement it in the proper games.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2012, 09:19:38 pm by RichardM »

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: September 5, 2012, 10:23:20 pm »
Dynasty Warriors 2 was fantastic.

Ohhh the many times I just ignored all the enemies and ran straight for the final boss because I couldn't be bothered owning hundreds of enemies ;D

Lu Bu is fucking boss.
Boss if you go him, nightmare to play against!
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 5, 2012, 10:38:17 pm »

I'd really like to see a proper online element to it. One where you pick a battle, then people connect to that battle, choose a side and an officer and then each side fights each other. That's just an idea but I think Online is really where they need to go with the series now. I know there is an online aspect to DW7 and there is a MMORPG in Dynasty Warriors Online, but I'd like to see them implement it in the proper games.

I'd love something like this. You can create a match and select a historical battle and then people join the lobby and select their side and which general they are going to play as. Throw in stuff such as perks you can get with points to improve your defence or give yourself an elite bodyguard unit or something.

One concern with the game is that it isn't all that popular in the west and I wouldn't imagine there would be all that many people online. It's main market is in Japan where it's massively popular.

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 5, 2012, 11:28:56 pm »
I'd love something like this. You can create a match and select a historical battle and then people join the lobby and select their side and which general they are going to play as. Throw in stuff such as perks you can get with points to improve your defence or give yourself an elite bodyguard unit or something.

One concern with the game is that it isn't all that popular in the west and I wouldn't imagine there would be all that many people online. It's main market is in Japan where it's massively popular.

Yeah it's huge in Japan, which is a problem for those (like me) with Xbox 360s. No one buys them in Japan, so as a result I've just discovered 7 Empires isn't being released on the 360. I'm a little bit annoyed to say the least.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #14 on: September 6, 2012, 12:16:23 am »
Yeah I love these, have been playing since DW2, and I've got the Samurai, Gundam, and Orochi versions, along with a couple of other Koei games (for support :D) like the Fist of the North Star game, and Bladestorm.

Gotta say that I love 7 and how they introduced the 4th kingdom, as well as "anyone can use any weapon" gameplay improvement.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 6, 2012, 12:25:25 am »
i've had all of the main ones apart from the latest one!

had dynasty warriors for the playstation - just a one on one fighting game

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 6, 2012, 12:31:41 am »

Gotta say that I love 7 and how they introduced the 4th kingdom, as well as "anyone can use any weapon" gameplay improvement.

Yeah I figured they had to shape the story up so it was nice to see them extend it up to the emergence and dominance of the Jin. Shame they didn't go to the fall of Wu though. No idea why they ended it after Shu. I also liked how they improved the story mode and gave it a bit of drama so it wasn't just moving from one battle to the next with a bit of backstory.

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 6, 2012, 09:32:24 am »
Yeah I figured they had to shape the story up so it was nice to see them extend it up to the emergence and dominance of the Jin. Shame they didn't go to the fall of Wu though. No idea why they ended it after Shu. I also liked how they improved the story mode and gave it a bit of drama so it wasn't just moving from one battle to the next with a bit of backstory.

I like the fact that they choose the character you play, so that you're actually playing an important character in that battle. (ie Guan Yu in the Battle at Fan Castle, and not someone like Zhao Yun). However I'd have liked it to be so that once you've completed the story mode, you can play it with any character.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 6, 2012, 09:33:22 am »
Used to love these as a kid, haven't played any in years though. Always picked Xiahou Dun to start off with for some reason.

I also ended up picking up some books on the Three Kingdoms as a result of these.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 6, 2012, 10:00:04 am »
I had 4, which was brilliant. Got really into the game, and ended up studying tthe history of the Three Kingdoms Period. Of course then I realised that each subsequent game was a remake of the previous one, so that's where my enthusiasm ended and I haven't picked up another one yet.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #20 on: September 6, 2012, 10:03:44 am »
Is it challenging? Looking at youtube it looks just like enemies are there for fodder. Can they actually touch you or is it literally kill 200 at a time?

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 6, 2012, 11:27:10 am »
Is it challenging? Looking at youtube it looks just like enemies are there for fodder. Can they actually touch you or is it literally kill 200 at a time?

There are 5 levels of difficulty, Beginner, Easy, Normal, Hard and Chaos. Hard is a bit of a challenge. Chaos is rock solid. You need to have a properly calibrated inventory to do Chaos. For example my Lu Bu on Chaos mode has the very highest Halberd, paired with another weapon with the same element using a seal called 'Synergy' which vastly increases the attack of your character, plus you add more seals to further enhance your character and you need to have trained so you have a high default Max life/attack/ and defence. If that makes sense.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 6, 2012, 01:15:38 pm »
I like the fact that they choose the character you play, so that you're actually playing an important character in that battle. (ie Guan Yu in the Battle at Fan Castle, and not someone like Zhao Yun). However I'd have liked it to be so that once you've completed the story mode, you can play it with any character.

Didn't Xtreme add a free play mode? I haven't bothered with it because I don't really see them as worth getting.

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 6, 2012, 01:34:18 pm »
Didn't Xtreme add a free play mode? I haven't bothered with it because I don't really see them as worth getting.

I think you're right actually. It's only on PS3 though, which is annoying :/

Offline Juneau

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: September 7, 2012, 09:08:04 pm »
Loved this game when I was younger. I think the last one I played was 6, had about 960G on the Xbox.

Assuming you guys have watched Red Cliff?

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #25 on: September 7, 2012, 09:30:37 pm »
Only one I enjoyed, and I happened to adore it was n.3. Rest just bored me, stopped buying them.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 7, 2012, 11:39:11 pm »
Loved this game when I was younger. I think the last one I played was 6, had about 960G on the Xbox.

Assuming you guys have watched Red Cliff?

Yeah I've seen Red Cliff 1 & 2. Great films, I've also started watching the Three Kingdoms TV show, really well done imo.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WNHnX4xsplo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WNHnX4xsplo</a>

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 8, 2012, 02:03:16 am »
Yeah I've seen Red Cliff 1 & 2. Great films, I've also started watching the Three Kingdoms TV show, really well done imo.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WNHnX4xsplo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WNHnX4xsplo</a>

Looks good that. 95 episodes through all the events and a big budget. Will have to see about getting it.

Is there anything similar for the Sengoku Jidai period?

Offline Juneau

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: September 8, 2012, 11:22:41 am »
I'll have to check out the Three Kingdoms show, looks pretty good!

Thoroughly enjoyed Red Cliff, that was my starting point to watching a few other Asian films.