Author Topic: Could Hodgson avert abject failure for England?  (Read 216825 times)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Could Hodgson avert abject failure for England?
« Reply #3680 on: September 5, 2014, 12:32:14 am »
Amazed at the sentiments in here. Delighted the FA and Paddy Barclay got their man, may he reign forever.

With us currently having so many players in the England squad, it would be nice if they had a competent manager when away on international duty.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #3681 on: September 5, 2014, 12:58:38 am »
By PATRICK BARCLAY

He didn't actually write that surely? Ha, ha!
We are Liverpool!

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3682 on: September 5, 2014, 01:16:50 am »
The england team need a progressive coach to take the them forward but the problem is no young manager with those qualities is going to take that poisoned chalice of a job so early in their career. It knocks them out of regular management for most of the time and leaves them dealing with a vicious press and morons at the FA. And when they inevitably get sacked their careers never recover. That just leaves the old farts ala hodgson with nothing to lose. I wonder whether Jupp Heynckes could be arsed to manage ingurland, I always liked how his bayern team played.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3683 on: September 5, 2014, 01:25:22 am »
Yeah I like the look especially of that Eddie Howe. The best thing about him is that not only has he achieved promotion, he achieved it using style and flair. Something you rarely see from Championship clubs. People look at Paul Lambert, and his successive promotions, and whilst that isn't to be scoffed at, his style of playing is suited well to the lower leagues, and in the higher leagues that simply isn't enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu5uvMb-99o

That YouTube link is to Howe's post match conference after their defeat against Liverpool. Listen 20 seconds into the Video. Some journalist asks him why he didn't go down Oldham's way, big target men and hoof. He replied that he couldn't do that with his playes, nor did he want to. He wanted to build Bournemouth into a team like Rodgers has. It's managers like him that take the game forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbbgNA5PICg

Rodgers, 2:40 into the clip is asked again about big target men, if his job was easier etc..... His reply was great, that we question why why England fail in the World Cup. Just watch as his face drops, and he replies quite strongly.

Howe's mentioned that he worked with Rodgers before. Howe's a great coach, can't quite believe that no premier league clubs weren't after him. Would like to see him in the Premier League some day.

Love Brendan.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #3684 on: September 5, 2014, 01:32:00 am »

In the Independent!
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3685 on: September 5, 2014, 01:33:05 am »

Reads like a gushing love letter.

Fucking embarrassing.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #3686 on: September 5, 2014, 01:37:23 am »
if the FA knew what they were doing they'd be begging Rafa to manage England. He'd organise them and get them into the latter stages of tournaments. He knows how to set teams up for knock out games, knows the culture of English football, gets teams organised effectively, and wins things. His family live here, reckon he'd jump at the chance to come home.

but the dunces who appointed the slow motion dirge that is Hodgson don't deserve such goodness
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3687 on: September 5, 2014, 01:37:33 am »
Hodgson bridges tumbling down, tumbling down...

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #3688 on: September 5, 2014, 01:38:44 am »
Love Brendan.
Brendan would win the World Cup if he was manager of England.

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #3689 on: September 5, 2014, 01:40:50 am »
if the FA knew what they were doing they'd be begging Rafa to manage England. He'd organise them and get them into the latter stages of tournaments. He knows how to set teams up for knock out games, knows the culture of English football, gets teams organised effectively, and wins things. His family live here, reckon he'd jump at the chance to come home.

but the dunces who appointed the slow motion dirge that is Hodgson don't deserve such goodness

Not the worst shout I have heard.

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3690 on: September 5, 2014, 01:41:25 am »
Am I allowed to say that I really f*cking hate the guy? He's rude stupid, and has stolen a living. Absolutely stolen a living, just from his friends in the media bigging him up, despite doing absolutely NOTHING in his 30+ year career  to say he's anything more than a terrible coach. Proper dinosaur.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3691 on: September 5, 2014, 01:45:39 am »
Yeah I like the look especially of that Eddie Howe. The best thing about him is that not only has he achieved promotion, he achieved it using style and flair. Something you rarely see from Championship clubs. People look at Paul Lambert, and his successive promotions, and whilst that isn't to be scoffed at, his style of playing is suited well to the lower leagues, and in the higher leagues that simply isn't enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu5uvMb-99o

That YouTube link is to Howe's post match conference after their defeat against Liverpool. Listen 20 seconds into the Video. Some journalist asks him why he didn't go down Oldham's way, big target men and hoof. He replied that he couldn't do that with his playes, nor did he want to. He wanted to build Bournemouth into a team like Rodgers has. It's managers like him that take the game forward.

Rodgers, 2:40 into the clip is asked again about big target men, if his job was easier etc..... His reply was great, that we question why why England fail in the World Cup. Just watch as his face drops, and he replies quite strongly.

Howe's mentioned that he worked with Rodgers before. Howe's a great coach, can't quite believe that no premier league clubs weren't after him. Would like to see him in the Premier League some day.

Good post that. Thanks for the links.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3692 on: September 5, 2014, 02:44:58 am »
This is still my favourite Hodgson gif. Had me in tears the first time I saw it

Never saw that first time round, but I'm in tears as well...

The Hodge, bringin' it... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #3693 on: September 5, 2014, 02:50:58 am »

Only Liverpool manager i've ever disliked. Still chills me to the bone thinking back to those dark days.
What has Sammy Lee ever done to you? :P
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #3694 on: September 5, 2014, 02:53:02 am »
Can Hendo Sturridge and Sterling pull England right out of the muck all by themselves, faced with the Owl in charge and Fat Captain so desperately and patently UnGerrardian in every way, at a time when even when having had the excellent Gerrard still wasn't enough!?

That theres your classic cliffhanger folks, don't know how we are gonna get out of this one alive.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3695 on: September 5, 2014, 02:57:15 am »
Brendan would win the World Cup if he was manager of England.
Strongly doubt it.

As good as Brendan is the main roadblock to the team winning any tournament is the media circus that follows the team and the lack of national unity on the topic of the football team. Compare that to Germany where everybody from the everyday Juergen ;) all the way to the top of the fussball bund are behind their team - the solidarity that is missing in England.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3696 on: September 5, 2014, 03:03:31 am »

Interesting to see that the other fella Rodgers mentions, Sean O'Driscoll, is the new England U19 manager.

Don't know much about him, but if Rodgers thinks he's a good coach then it's an improvement on Noel Blake that's for sure.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2014, 03:06:24 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3697 on: September 5, 2014, 03:11:26 am »
Give him the time to build up the experience to managing teams gradually bigger in size - IMO the challenge of football management is the bigger the club, the trickier, the more complex the inter-personal relationship from top to bottom. Player ego grows, expectations increase, scrutiny heightens, criticisms more public, hierarchy of command deeper etc.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #3698 on: September 5, 2014, 03:29:17 am »
Strongly doubt it.

As good as Brendan is the main roadblock to the team winning any tournament is the media circus that follows the team and the lack of national unity on the topic of the football team. Compare that to Germany where everybody from the everyday Juergen ;) all the way to the top of the fussball bund are behind their team - the solidarity that is missing in England.

Definitely agree the media would continue to be a huge obstacle. Picking the team then slating him when he doesn't adhere to their decisions. We saw what happens when the media picked the team after the Italy game, a decent performance in a loss turned into the WAYNE ROONEY MUST BE CENTRAL horror show.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #3699 on: September 5, 2014, 04:01:57 am »
What bugs me the most about him is the way his whole body moves when he is talking drivel pre and post match . What a waste of two years for England . Colombia Chile and Costa Rica all showed the importance of having good coaches and managers . What would Pekerman have done with that English squad . It wouldnt have been coming up with Excuses and finger pointing anyway .
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #3700 on: September 5, 2014, 06:24:56 am »
It wouldnt have been coming up with Excuses and finger pointing anyway .

Finger sniffing mate. Get it right!
We are Liverpool!

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3701 on: September 5, 2014, 08:09:55 am »
And now he's defending his angry response his defence to the shots on target question.  What.  A.  Muppet.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3702 on: September 5, 2014, 10:17:57 am »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/04/roy-hodgson-criticism-england-players-norway

Roy Hodgson has launched a spiky and impassioned defence of his England players, arguing they do not deserve the criticism that is coming their way and accusing the media of exaggerating the team’s deficiencies in light of what happened in the World Cup.

Hodgson, as angry as at any time in his England tenure, spoke out in response to the reaction to the 1-0 defeat of Norway at Wembley and was particularly annoyed at having to answer a question about the fact his team had managed only two shots on target, describing the statistic as “fucking bollocks”. The England manager believes the disappointments of the summer have led to unfair analysis, adding to the negativity swirling around a team whose first game since the World Cup was played in front of a half-empty stadium, with their lowest crowd since Wembley reopened in 2007.

England’s performance has led to scrutiny of Hodgson’s decision to revert to a 4-4-2 system and the form of Wayne Rooney, who scored the decisive goal from the penalty spot but has started the season slowly. Hodgson believes the striker struggled with the pressures of being the team’s new captain, something Louis van Gaal has also said at Manchester United, but the national team manager was still aggrieved about what he perceived to be undue negativity.

“I am entitled to [be annoyed], aren’t I? When you have questions like: ‘You had only two shots on target …’ We can’t get rid of the baggage, we can’t change the fact we had a bad World Cup, we can’t play those games against Italy and Uruguay again, but I think you will have to give me the entitlement at least.

“If we had played badly, if a lot of players had had really poor performances, if the quality of our passing and our movement was nothing like I wanted to see and if our defending wasn’t as compact, aggressive and organised as it was for large periods, I would be the first to say so. But I am not going to say it’s not that, just because we had a bad World Cup.

“You have seen an England team dominate for 45 minutes against a good opponent. You have seen us work very hard to create chances, you have seen players get in behind defenders in wide areas and miss crosses and, yes, I am not terribly happy about that. I would have liked the crosses to be a little bit better. I would have liked two of three of those shots to get past the blocking player and whizz past the goal. I would have liked Daniel Sturridge’s magnificent effort, from that wonderful [Raheem Sterling] pass, not to land on the roof of the net.

“I saw a ten-to-15-minute period in the second half when I thought we were nowhere near what I wanted to see. I thought we lost the aggression in our defending and we didn’t attack anywhere near as well. Joe had to make a good save from a corner, and Norway almost scored again from a Gary Cahill back pass. But we saw a different system then. We changed it around and I saw some very positive moments.

“John Stones, who has played hardly any games recently for Everton, stepped out at right-back and gave a very strong performance and when Chambers came on he did well, too. Henderson and Wilshere, in my book, were excellent. Delph came in to play his first game and showed some very good things going forward and, of course, Sturridge was excellent throughout. All I’m saying is I want to judge every game as it is.

“Welbeck came on and showed his potential, so there were a lot of good things but the bottom line is this: before the World Cup, with all the euphoria, we were getting 75,000 people to see us play Peru. Now we have 40,000 to see us play against a much more difficult opponent. I can’t put that right because I can’t turn the clock back, but what I can do is analyse what I have seen and judge that through my eyes and not because someone is telling me: ‘Well, you had only two shots at goal’ because, for me, that is absolute fucking bollocks, I’m sorry.”

Hodgson, who has arranged for the psychiatrist Dr Steve Peters to talk to his squad on Friday at St George’s Park as they prepare for England’s first Euro 2016 qualifier in Switzerland on Monday, went on to cite some of the players who were missing through injury. Jack Colback and Ben Foster have both had to withdraw from the original 22-man squad and Hodgson has decided not to bring in replacements before the team fly to Basel.

“The fact of the matter is that we haven’t got many more. There are four or five very good players who are not here through injury: Chris Smalling and Luke Shaw in defence, and Ross Barkley and Lallana in central midfield. There is Jon Flanagan, who we like and hope to see back soon, and of course the longer-term injuries with [Jay] Rodriguez.

“I am talking to people here who have followed England for many years, and follow the Premier League football every week, and there is no chance of pulling wool over the eyes of people who know what top-class players look like. But I will continue to say, so long as they continue to give performances like that, some of these players are top, top players in the making. But they are players in the making. You can’t play five games for England, be a regular in the Liverpool team for six or seven months, and be David Beckham. You can’t come in like Phil Jones after all the injuries and nail down a place in the central defence of Manchester United and become John Terry. You can’t be Jack Wilshere, who has lost all that football through injury, and all of a sudden be Bryan Robson.

“Let’s be fair about these things, that is all I am asking. But also, allow me to be excited by what they can do and allow me when they do play well to stand in front of an assembled press conference and say: ‘I think they did well’ even though there might be some cynicism out there. Maybe it wasn’t as good [as you wanted], fine. That is up to you, just as long as you don’t expect me to go down the same route.”

Can you just IMAGINE the uproar if a foreign coach of England had told the press they were talking "absolute fucking bollocks"? They'd have been hounded out of the country 24 hours after the press conference.
Thank you Jurgen

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3703 on: September 5, 2014, 10:23:48 am »

Wouldn't wish that shit on Rafa, can you imagine the shite the media & Ingerlund fans would give him? Most of those morons think the hodge is a better manager than Rafa, let them have the manager they deserve!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3705 on: September 5, 2014, 10:39:14 am »
You have seen an England team dominate for 45 minutes against a good opponent.

I literally have no idea who he's talking about here because I can't remember the last time this happened. It certainly hasn't happened under Roy.

What a fucking imposter of a manager he is. Everything he says is a clambering embarrassment.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3706 on: September 5, 2014, 10:42:32 am »
Another thing about Roy is that he's such an uninspiring human.

The media are still not going hard enough on him, capello was far better  but then again the old xenophobic nature of the good ol English is showing its colours.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2014, 10:44:05 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3707 on: September 5, 2014, 11:06:17 am »
It's the man's arrogance I can't stand. The media fell for it and suddenly it's all gone crap. You reap what you sow.....

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #3708 on: September 5, 2014, 11:36:48 am »
I literally laughed out loud when I saw his press conference yesterday and him dismissing the 2 shots on target questions. How big must his balls be to just dismiss the statistics and shut down any questions?

The media can't call him on it though because they were mainly responsible for him getting the job. Calling him incompetent would be calling into question their own judge of character.
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #3709 on: September 5, 2014, 11:43:37 am »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/04/roy-hodgson-criticism-england-players-norway

And his photo in that article  ;D :lmao
Claps to whoever chose that photo
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3710 on: September 5, 2014, 11:47:01 am »

And his photo in that article  ;D :lmao
Claps to whoever chose that photo

:lmao :lmao

What a photo!  ;D

Edit:  have you seen the quote below?

'Roy Hodgson described the statistic that England could only manage two shots on target as "absolute fucking bollocks"' :lmao
« Last Edit: September 5, 2014, 11:49:51 am by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3711 on: September 5, 2014, 12:02:38 pm »
.....Hodgson, who has arranged for the psychiatrist Dr Steve Peters to talk to his squad on Friday ....

It's not the team that needs to talk to a psychiatrist.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3712 on: September 5, 2014, 12:13:44 pm »

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #3713 on: September 5, 2014, 12:15:12 pm »
Is the media going to let him off for spouting such obsceneties?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3714 on: September 5, 2014, 12:26:19 pm »
Is the media going to let him off for spouting such obsceneties?

They could use the usual 'role model' schtick, press usually love that angle...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #3715 on: September 5, 2014, 12:37:13 pm »
The worrying thing is, if England produce a good performance (unlikely I know) and beat Switzerland on Monday night, the press will see it as Hodgson turning things around and that the "green shoots" of recovery are evident.

Hodgson knows that this is a group that he cannot fail to qualify from.  TWO teams from the group (not just the top team as in previous years) will go to France in 2016, and when you consider the teams in the group, it should be a formality.
It doesn't matter how shit he is, he should (and probably will) qualify for the European Championships.  So sadly, there is little chance of The FA getting rid of him.   

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3716 on: September 5, 2014, 12:44:41 pm »
Sterling or Sturridge will probably produce a moment of magic and score an undeserved equaliser and Roy can call it a well earned point against a very difficult side yadda yadda yadda. Breathing space until the next match comes around when he can call on a few players who were unavailable this time and declare that England are going places etc. Or ''fucking bollocks'' as he might say.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3717 on: September 5, 2014, 12:53:02 pm »
Surely the phrases 'absolute fucking bollocks' and 'Roy Hodgson' have always been intertwined, they certainly were during his time here.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3718 on: September 5, 2014, 01:07:53 pm »
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3719 on: September 5, 2014, 01:11:51 pm »
I fucking loathe the c*nt, and I wouldn't care so much but there's a large contingent of Liverpool players there and just wait for him to start passing the buck to them. He'll do it by pointing specifically to individuals like he's starting to do already with 'if only Sturridge's attempt went in'.

Norway are a tough team Roy? Already dampening expectations, there's some talent in this side and I'm already seeing articles about England being average, and to support Roy. He's a vile twat and is the embodiment of everything wrong with English football. Fuck him.
:D