Poll

Obama or Romney: Who Will Win? NOW RESET: VOTE AGAIN!

Obama
Romney
Anyone else

Author Topic: US Presidential Election 2012: Obama V Liars Paradise: Obama Wins!  (Read 353000 times)

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
Re: US Presidential Election 2012: Obama V Romney
« Reply #4600 on: November 1, 2012, 12:09:55 pm »
Weird how Obama gets so much support on here when he's way to the right of David Cameron.

Not sure about that assessment. But even if it's true you can only pick the best out of a bad bunch. I mean...I'm a member of Leftist Green party here in Iceland. We have a proportional voting system so there's no reason for me not to support my party. However if we had a first past the post system I'd probably vote for the Social Democrats because they'd be the party most likely to beat the Conservative party which is the party I disagree with the most. Otherwise I'd just be throwing my vote away (which is something the British are awfully familiar with).

It's all game theory in the end. The system controls voter behaviour.

But I'd also like to say that I actually do like Obama. I think he's a good man. A smart man trying to do his best in an awful system.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #4601 on: November 1, 2012, 12:11:42 pm »

It's all game theory in the end. The system controls voter behaviour.

Only because we let it.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4602 on: November 1, 2012, 12:16:56 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/O0TYwTjRqb0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/O0TYwTjRqb0</a>

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4603 on: November 1, 2012, 12:23:49 pm »
Breaking News ‏@BreakingNews
US private sector adds 158,000 jobs in October from September, according to ADP - @FoxBusiness

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4604 on: November 1, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »
Breaking News ‏@BreakingNews
US private sector adds 158,000 jobs in October from September, according to ADP - @FoxBusiness

Makes sense.  Many employers are hiring for the holiday (shopping) season.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4605 on: November 1, 2012, 02:36:35 pm »
http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/10/beeson-obama-firewall-is-burning-147896.html

This is pure spin, of course both sides do it but the idea that there's now a big swing towards Romney is pure fantasy based on the polls in the swing states, which are going the other way. Of course Romney might still win, but if he does it will be close...and I really can't see him winning Florida by double digits.

I do wonder why campaigns keep saying stuff like this...I know they want to give the impression of confidence and momentum, but would this not make 'casual' Republicans think they don't need to vote as Romney is going to win anyway, and they can get the result they prefer without having to make the effort to vote?

Anyway, Nate Silver disagrees:
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/oct-31-obamas-electoral-college-firewall-holding-in-polls/#more-36981
« Last Edit: November 1, 2012, 02:41:47 pm by Rob Dylan »

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4606 on: November 1, 2012, 02:38:09 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nElcEPNAHwI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nElcEPNAHwI</a>

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4607 on: November 1, 2012, 02:39:26 pm »
but would this not make 'casual' Republicans think they don't need to vote as Romney is going to win anyway, and they can get the result they prefer without having to make the effort to vote?

Interesting question.  I don't know, but I wouldn't think so; it typically isn't Republicans that have trouble getting folks to show up.  At least that is my perception...

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4608 on: November 1, 2012, 02:49:47 pm »
Surely the most appropriate respone is heftier sanctions and invasion, no?  ::)

Iran Offers to Send Emergency Aid Team to Stricken New York

TEHRAN — Iranian rescuers and aid workers are on standby to fly to New York City to provide assistance to those affected by Hurricane Sandy, the head of Iran’s Red Crescent Organization said on Wednesday.

“We are ready to help the flood-stricken people of America,” Mahmud Mozaffar, who leads the organization, told the semiofficial Fars News Agency.

His men stand ready to board planes and fly to the United States to help out, assuming the American government accepts Iran’s offer, he said.

“If American authorities agree, we can send our rescuers with equipment and tools to American cities in the shortest period of time,” Mr. Mozaffar said.

Mark C. Toner, a spokesman for the State Department, said in an email message late Wednesday, “We have seen reports in the media, but at this time have received no official offer of assistance from the Iranian government or any Iranian entity.”

Dealing regularly with floods and earthquakes, Iran’s Red Crescent Organization is experienced in providing immediate assistance following disasters. But the organization, the Islamic version of the Red Cross, is closely affiliated with Iran’s government. According to documents disclosed by WikiLeaks, American officials suspect that some Red Crescent employees operate as spies when providing help in other countries.

The United States and Iran have not had diplomatic relations since the aftermath of the 1979 hostage taking of the United States Embassy in Tehran, but natural disasters have sometimes been a way of engaging in direct communication, beyond politics.

In 2003, the United States sent a C-130 military transport plane with a rescue team and an ambulance to the southeast Iranian city of Bam where 25,000 people died in a devastating earthquake, and in August the United States offered to do the same when more than 300 people were killed in two deadly earthquakes in the northwestern part of the country.

While Iranian authorities turned down the most recent offer, the United States Treasury Department temporarily lifted sanction restrictions to allow charities to send goods and money to the stricken area.

In June 2010, Iran’s Foreign Ministry and the Revolutionary Guards Corps said they were ready to help out the United States in controlling the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

source

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4609 on: November 1, 2012, 02:59:14 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_pFLBYsFvpY?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_pFLBYsFvpY?version=3</a>

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #4610 on: November 1, 2012, 03:07:26 pm »
I mean, pretty sure the people dealing with rescues and cleanup showing the President and Christie around NJ today wasn't the best use of their time. People want to be looking like they're doing something to help.

This is really only a thing in the liberal blogs.

Ha ha, you say some crackpot things but that tops them all.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4611 on: November 1, 2012, 03:10:44 pm »

What the f*ck is he on about, the man is a nutter.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4612 on: November 1, 2012, 03:22:01 pm »
What the f*ck is he on about, the man is a nutter.
Exactly. I've sadly listened to it more than once and could not make head or tail of it. What an almighty git! I do believe he speaks in tongues. But then, thats a moron for you. Why many republicans believe politics has anything to do with Christ is beyond me.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2012, 03:23:43 pm by HarryLabrador »
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4614 on: November 1, 2012, 03:34:16 pm »

"Oh shit, I can't rely on 'YES WE CAN' to get me a second term"

"I must not bring more false hope"

"Ron Paul didn't get the nomination?"

"We'll laugh our way into a second term, America".

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4615 on: November 1, 2012, 03:35:05 pm »

Do you have some sort of obsession with naked 80 year old men?

I'm not judging you; I just think that there must be a better outlet for your interest than repeatedly posting pictures of them on a football forum.

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4616 on: November 1, 2012, 03:45:33 pm »

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4617 on: November 1, 2012, 04:07:50 pm »

Religious zealot, potentially with nuclear football, who believes that there is going to be a end-of-times holy war centered on the middle east and his church has a key role to play.   :shocked

And anyone wants to vote for this maniac?

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4618 on: November 1, 2012, 04:20:10 pm »
Religious zealot, potentially with nuclear football, who believes that there is going to be a end-of-times holy war centered on the middle east and his church has a key role to play.   :shocked

And anyone wants to vote for this maniac?

Sorry, what was the original link? I can't access it.

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4619 on: November 1, 2012, 04:29:26 pm »
Sorry, what was the original link? I can't access it.

Is the YouTube link litliper posted above. Is Romney talking about the Mormon prophesies about the war in Iarael that brings about the second coming of JEEYsSuS

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4620 on: November 1, 2012, 04:32:19 pm »
My only regret is that that video doesn't involve any attractive women, which would have allowed me to say "I'd like to split her Mount of Olives" and feel high-larious.

One thing's for sure: this election day is going to be one of the most interesting in recent memory (which in no way means that I won't be insanely happy when it's over). Can anyone else remember a time when the national polls and state polls clashed this much? I've said it before: my ideal result here is a Romney popular vote win and an Obama EC win. That'll make one screwing by the EC of each party within a 12-year-span, and might actually lead to a reform of our ridiculous electoral system.

Plus, Obama can pull a Bush/Cheney and see a popular vote loss and narrow EC victory as a mandate!

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4621 on: November 1, 2012, 04:35:33 pm »
Plus, Obama can pull a Bush/Cheney and see a popular vote loss and narrow EC victory as a mandate!

Easier to do that with a majority in the House

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4622 on: November 1, 2012, 04:38:11 pm »
Is the YouTube link litliper posted above. Is Romney talking about the Mormon prophesies about the war in Iarael that brings about the second coming of JEEYsSuS

Thanks, can't access it at work. Is this what he means by 'kicking the can down the road'?

Is this a video that's only just come out? Just wondering if it will cause any controversy.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4623 on: November 1, 2012, 04:39:29 pm »
Obama’s 284 Drone Strikes in Pakistan

Shocking stuff.  Not that there's any chance or hope of a change here..

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #4624 on: November 1, 2012, 04:42:12 pm »
Obama’s 284 Drone Strikes in Pakistan

Shocking stuff.  Not that there's any chance or hope of a change here..

He did change it, would troops on the ground be any better?
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4625 on: November 1, 2012, 04:43:44 pm »
Easier to do that with a majority in the House

...and a 90% approval rating post 9/11.

Most of the analysis that I've read is saying it's more likely that either the state or national polls are wrong, not that they are both right. The more popular view seems to be that the state polls will prove to be more accurate and that Obama will scrape a narrow popular vote win. Every major analyst plus the bookmakers are giving Obama the edge, although the recent backlash against Nate Silver proves that a lot of people still don't understand the concept of probabilities.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4626 on: November 1, 2012, 04:44:38 pm »

I was thinking that neither would be better, actually.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4627 on: November 1, 2012, 04:51:54 pm »

Since that's not an option right now, drones is the best choice.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4628 on: November 1, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »

May be you should sign up on the dotted line and face the taliban - we can stop using drones then.   ;)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4629 on: November 1, 2012, 04:54:49 pm »
Since that's not an option right now

Why not?

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4630 on: November 1, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »
Since that's not an option right now, drones is the best choice.

You mean because Obama and Mitt both love killing civil...erm..."militants" with drones?  I suppose you're right.  There's definitely no other option, especially not one that that involves not doing it.  We absoultely have to kill people.   ::)

I bet the Nobel Committee is awfully proud of itself.

Offline KUNGFUDANCER

• boring wum who thinks La Liga is on a par with the Scottish Premier League... clueless too... don't bother arguing with me because it will just make your head hurt...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4631 on: November 1, 2012, 04:58:31 pm »
three times as many american soldiers have died in Afghanistan under Obama's 4 years than Bush's 8 years
« Last Edit: November 1, 2012, 05:00:55 pm by kungfudancer »

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #4632 on: November 1, 2012, 04:59:45 pm »
The drone strikes issue is probably my #1 concern with the Obama administration, but to suggest that the Republicans would do any different or any better is just plain silly.
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4633 on: November 1, 2012, 05:01:50 pm »
The drone strikes issue is probably my #1 concern with the Obama administration, but to suggest that the Republicans would do any different or any better is just plain silly.

Not that there's any chance or hope of a change here..
You mean because Obama and Mitt both love killing civil...erm..."militants" with drones?

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4634 on: November 1, 2012, 05:03:19 pm »
three times as many american soldiers have died in Afghanistan under Obama's 4 years than Bush's 8 years

You know, I'm quite sure that has something to do with the fact that the great Bush gave up on finding Osama to finish what his daddy started.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4635 on: November 1, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »
May be you should sign up on the dotted line and face the taliban - we can stop using drones then.   ;)

If you think there's a reason that we should be killing people over there, after you.  Don't be upset if I don't follow you into the breach though.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4636 on: November 1, 2012, 05:04:07 pm »

Didn't Bush basically abandon Afghanistan for a long period of time to focus on Iraq, long before it was stablised. Thus screwing up the war in the first place by letting the Taliban survive, and also meaning casualties were shifted to Obama's term as the insurgency grew and prospered.

How many were lost in Iraq, in Dubya's war to save us from "WMDs"? Mission accomplished indeed.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4637 on: November 1, 2012, 05:05:06 pm »
Why not?

Because combat operations haven't ended.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline KUNGFUDANCER

• boring wum who thinks La Liga is on a par with the Scottish Premier League... clueless too... don't bother arguing with me because it will just make your head hurt...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4638 on: November 1, 2012, 05:05:06 pm »
You know, I'm quite sure that has something to do with the fact that the great Bush gave up on finding Osama to finish what his daddy started.
Or maybe obama is an incompetent commander in chief.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #4639 on: November 1, 2012, 05:05:15 pm »
I wasn't knocking you H_C. I was just stating that the Republicans would not be better and would probably be worst.  Something that some libertarians seem to forget when bringing up the drones to knock Obama.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2012, 05:08:19 pm by Alphaville »
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/