Author Topic: Comolli and Bruckner leave by mutual consent  (Read 345331 times)

Offline Legendary_Nines

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't worry, be happy!
Re: Comolli sacked by mutual consent
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:02 am »
Nah, I think this means Kenny's safe to be honest.

Why do you think that? This came out of the blue...who's to say that they're not waiting till the end of the season to see who's available? (I'm not saying I want Kenny gone, in fact I want him to stay until he steps down by himself because he'll know when it's right to leave). I think the outcome of the FA Cup may have a big say in what happens.

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:03 am »
Worked for Yanks over the years in the oil patch. They never hesitate to pull the trigger once things dont pan out. The timming is poor just before the semi final, expect the worst if we dont get to the final.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:06 am »
I'm surprised, had drinks with Tony & Royhendo last night, and we spent a lot of time talking about Comolli, his effectiveness, relationship with KD, how he got hired, etc etc, but I never expected this to happen, at this time......well done FSG!

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:12 am »
Could the timing be any worse? Baffling.

Offline TLW 84

• Kopite
Re: Telegraph - Comolli sacked
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:30 am »
If we are going to keep this role at the club, there is a certain Spaniard who has a knack of bringing in great talent, and who loves the club.
Yeah that would be appropriate.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:38 am »
Could this be a behind the scenes power game that Kenny has just won do you think? Rory smith put it like that on twitter as an option

"Can read the Comolli news two ways: either Dalglish wins power games or FSG - as promised - are prepared to act swiftly on anyone"

I think it could be a combination of the two? Kenny wins his power game and FSG show their ruthlessness over people who "fail" at their remit?

Very, very interesting.

Is Dalglish in a position to win a "power game"? It is a case of who is more to blame.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:02 am »
Also, another thing to consider is that Kenny has already said to the owners that he's going to step aside at the end of the season no matter what and their getting the house in order?
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline RogerSmith

• Main Stander
  • Oh, great. I've got a bear claw in my ass
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:04 am »
think its great that they are not afraid to be brutal

Its not brutal, its ill-timed and gives everyone a lovely fall-guy.

I hope no-one thinks that Comolli was the one who signed all our players....
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:07 am »
To everyone who's surprised by this... somebody who posts on here got a bit of flak over the last week or so for saying things were about to happen within the club. I think he's owed a bit of an appolgy.

So this is the bit of shocker that royhendo was referring to?

Personally never expected this to happen. Very brutal of FSG, but on the face of things, very shrewd and decisive action indeed.
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:09 am »
To everyone who's surprised by this... somebody who posts on here got a bit of flak over the last week or so for saying things were about to happen within the club. I think he's owed a bit of an appolgy.
Indeed. Thought of Royhendo straight away.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:13 am »
Kenny DOF Rafa in i expect.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:53 am »
Completely unexpected.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:14 am »
Its not brutal, its ill-timed and gives everyone a lovely fall-guy.

I hope no-one thinks that Comolli was the one who signed all our players....

How do you know he wasn't?

Offline NigelManx

• Anny Roader
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:34 am »
As some have said Kenny isnt safe and this move indeed shows nobody is safe. Ruthless and a message sent out. I welcome this and shows how serious our owners are
Timing isnt an issue in my opinion as Im sure Comolli didnt have anything to do with build up to a game. Theres players on the way out in my view !!! watch this space I would say

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:35 am »
This really came from nowhere. No whispers of it in the press or anything.

We're a tight ship nowadays, no leaks.

Offline pistolpete

• Kopite
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:44 am »
Can someone explain the logic of how Comolli's departure opens the way for Benitez, which some have aluded to?
siempre es possible

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:46 am »
Really? I think it reaks of getting a manager in like Rafa who likes full control over everything.

Possibly but if so it'd be on good terms. If they felt Kenny was at much as fault they'd have got rid of him too.

Personally I think we'll be keeping Kenny for another season at least anyway. Rafa won't be coming back, no point even thinking of it.

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:54 am »
Really? I think it reaks of getting a manager in like Rafa who likes full control over everything.

I think it reaks of Kenny clearly not being largely responsible for the players brought in.  The DOF role mirrors very closely what happens in Baseball.  You have a general manager and a coach, so its no surprise they tried a similar system. 

Kenny might go in the summer, but I don't think Comolli going is a sure sign of that.  Maybe the opposite.

Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline Godmadebloodred

• Legacy Fan
  • The Beanitezls
« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:05 am »
Good!! Who's next?!?!

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:09 am »
FSG are mean.

They are machines. Impressive and creepy.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:15 am »
Well that might explain a bit of who was majorly responsible for our transfer dealings this summer past.

I take it as well that Kenny has the full support and they might be willing to back him with funds this summer to rectify the mistakes.

I would like if they shafted the DOF position altogether though, it doesn't work well in England.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:22 am »
One the other hand i suppose (playing devils advocate) while i agree that it is bad timing so close to a cup semi final against a major rival, it could be argued that it may give those players, who seem to pick and choose which games to play in, a clear picture that the owners of this club will not accept mediocrity and lack of effort and will deal quickly with anyone not performing to their correct level.

It may also be seen as a shot across Kennys bow i.e. despite his legend status its the owners who set the targets and the owners who decide what constitutes a successful season.

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #182 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:23 am »
Kenny DOF Rafa in i expect.

Knowing your views on Rafa before, whats your take on this if it really happens? Good move or bad?
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #183 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:26 am »
Is Dalglish in a position to win a "power game"? It is a case of who is more to blame.
Course he is, look at the power Kenny holds. For one, he's got the fans, which is massive. He's like the living embodiment of the soul of the club. Comolli isn't. He's very much in the position to win power games behind the scenes. Owners sack him and there is hell to pay from the supporters, which is the last thing FSG need.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:27 am »
What the fuck.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:28 am »
This could be a damn powerful message to the players Comolli was responsible for. Either they buck up or out they go "for family reasons"...

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #186 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:36 am »
If he was in charge of the signings then its the right move from FSG.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:59 am »
Timing is very much Hicks and Gillettish.

Worrying.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:01 am »
Although it was a bizarre appointment from our perspective you can see why it made sense to FSG initially - it was a structure they were familiar with and Comolli was someone they knew who could draw on a track record at Spurs..

The interesting thing for me is whether they now feel:

1) that the structure DOF/ manager doesn't work in this environment
2) They believe in the structure but feel that he has failed in his role (I guess time will tell whether they recruit a replacement)
3) there was tension between Kenny/ Comolli and they sacked Comolli (implying therefore that they back Kenny)
4) they intend to sack both but feel that sacking Kenny now would harm the season witht he FA Cup still to play for (if this is the case then the result on Saturday could have a massive impact on that..)

(With reference to option 4, if they have decided to sack both and perhaps have a replacement in mind could it be that the replacement has indicated he will not work with a DOF?)

was thinking it was bizarre in its swiftness primarily, how they appointed someone to such an important position when they were so new to the game, seemingly on the recommendation of a baseball man (Beane).

i'd be surprised if they reappointed a new man in the same role. think it's either Kenny or a new manager in the traditional mode.

Offline saint1969

• Main Stander
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:01 am »
didnt expect to see this one before the end of the season

I am sure we can expect to see further changes in the near future.

It is sure going to be interesting
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #190 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:08 am »

Fucking hell.

Never a dull moment with us.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:09 am »
Can't really understand the "awful timing" shouts. I know we play on Saturday but it's not as if he's got much bearing on the team.

I've always thought his tight fisted approach to transfers that made them so long winded has been a negative. Maybe, just maybe, if he hadn't of taken so long signing Suarez then Torres might still be here.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #192 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:11 am »
I don't know why people are calling for Rafa to come back in - he's a manager, not a DOF. It's totally inappropriate really, much as I love the guy.
On top of that, we could probably tempt the mighty Roy back now Damien's gone, I'm sure there's a way of blaming Comolli for Poulsen and Konchesky.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #193 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:28 am »
It goes without saying that you need to be careful in making unfounded assumptions on the reasons behind this, but it surely must be linked to the outlay last summer and the subsequent results on the field, especially given what is widely accepted as being Commolli's role at the club.

If that is the case then it perhaps says a lot about who has/had the real control over recruitment, or at least who FSG view(ed) as having that control, which then begs the obvious question - what happens next? A new 'Director of Football Stategy'? Or a return to a more traditional (in this country at least) system whereby the manager has sole control over recuitment?
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:32 am »
Who did? Never saw anything, probs because i can't be arsed with all the blame blame blame threads. Good call though, whoever the ITK was!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Hyypia headers

• Am I a Real Liverpool Fan...
  • Kopite
  • Impossible?
« Reply #195 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:36 am »
I applaud this decision with a big smile on my face. DOF doesn 't work. The manager needs to be in control at all times on all fronts.

Shows FSG don't beat around the bush. I now have high hopes for the summer.
Let me tell you about the times when tackling was allowed

Offline Red Sox

• Main Stander
  • welcome to the heighway .........
« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:37 am »
Never thought his appointment was right in the first place.  I remember Harry Redknapps face when he was asked about him. ???

Offline anfieldanfield

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:39 am »
Can't argue with that one.

We have spent ridiculously poorly and essentially, that was Comolli's job.

Ruthless from FSG though. Fair play.

Offline twistedthoughts

• Kemlynite
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:42 am »
Can't say he will be missed..bye :wave

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:49 am »
I get the feeling Kenny might be moving into the DOF role in summer.